TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Hello! Since Skyride is not in operation during Haunt we didn't get to see it functioning but yes the counter weight is very impressive! It is funny how they used actual nuts and bolts to weigh it down also very cool how the wheel must maintain its position in order for the cable tension to fit the "wire loop" so to speak! Seriously learned so much especially all the Dragster information was mostly new.

Yes, the wheel at the drive end (East) stays in one position, the wheel at the tension end (West) is actually on a track.

As the counterweight goes up (more weight) it pushes the wheel forward putting more slack in the cable to even the weight out. As the counterweight goes down (less weight) it pulls the wheel down the track backwards to tighten the cable. Very cool.

I don't like Twisted Streak as a name. Actually, it's kind of cute, but "twisted" has been used on an RMC.

Taken conversion name adjectives:

Twisted (Colossus)

Wicked (Cyclone)

Iron (Rattler)

New (Texas Giant)

I'd like Cedar Point to be more creative.

"Evil Streak" got mentioned in a NoLimits video's comments, and I've kind of liked the name since I saw it.

I want to say Iron Horse. With the train being right there and that phrase being associated with trains. Also just simply "horse" since Maverick (a horse) is near by too. I think that's a pretty solid name too.

I like it. Twisted streak?

As far as names go, Yggdrasil would be an interesting choice. It's mythological, plays into the wooden structure of the coaster, and is nearly unpronounceable. Perfect for Cedar Point!

I know it will never happen, but I'd actually prefer if they just call it:

Mean Streak.

Actually, agreed. I think Mean Streak is a really good name for a roller coaster, and I think given the current perception of how mediocre the ride was it would be super cool to have that "same" ride be amazing.

I also like the name Mean Streak. I don't get why parks always change the name when they do these conversions. Do they just think people won't think the ride has changed if it has the same name?

They probably would think it's the same ride.

Cool pictures. Has the cable for the sky ride ever been replaced, or is it something they do not need to do?

From what I have heard (don't quote me on this part), the cable is replaced once every year.

I do know the ride has sensors that automatically stop the ride if it detects the cable has frayed.

Cool pictures. Has the cable for the sky ride ever been replaced, or is it something they do not need to do?

From what I have heard (don't quote me on this part), the cable is replaced once every year.

If that's true it would be much more frequent than the average Sky Ride (but maybe it is, you would know the ride better than I would). Generally parks wait about ten years before they replace them. I kind of remember watching it a few years ago on the webcam (because I'm a huge dork) it was laying down across the main midway with pieces of wood (or what looked like wood) under it for the length of the cable to keep it off the ground. I'd love to see how they splice it.

If that's true it would be much more frequent than the average Sky Ride (but maybe it is, you would know the ride better than I would). Generally parks wait about ten years before they replace them. I kind of remember watching it a few years ago on the webcam (because I'm a huge dork) it was laying down across the main midway with pieces of wood (or what looked like wood) under it for the length of the cable to keep it off the ground. I'd love to see how they splice it.

Yes Bill was close! Cedar Point usually changes it out after about 7yrs. It also has the frayed cable detection system as mentioned that can detect any issues.

As far as names go, Yggdrasil would be an interesting choice. It's mythological, plays into the wooden structure of the coaster, and is nearly unpronounceable. Perfect for Cedar Point!

As in the tree of the world? The thing that connects the 9 realms? Oh yes, very intimidating. Almost as intimidating as renaming Banshee Mantis. Going from Mean Streak to Yggdrasil feels like a step down.

Yes Bill was close! Cedar Point usually changes it out after about 7yrs. It also has the frayed cable detection system as mentioned that can detect any issues.

That's intersting, we have had the same haul rope on our gondola since it opened in 2003. I can tell you it at a minimum would tie Sky Ride in hours. More commonly the haul rope is re-spliced as it stretches.

Splicing is a very time consuming process that can only be done with good old manual labor. It is actually complicated enough that last I heard there are only two family's in the US that do it. I think the most intersting part of the whole deal is that nothing is really melted together, it's all friction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNKH-NJJV

This video gives you a brief idea on how it goes, I'm sure there are plenty more in the suggestions section. If anyone wants, I can take a picture later this week of our splices.

I don't see any use of "wicked" or "twisted" or "new" or "iron" with Mean Streak. Those are things SF did. I expect Mean Streak's new name to be either a CF recycled name (Hawk), or something new and original a la Rugarou and Valravn.

I almost forgot to post this. I saw this on 90 going eastbound this afternoon. I doubt it's RMC nor Cedar Point related but thought I'd post it here since the color is awfully close to the track that's there now. If this was RMC, I have no idea what it would be because it look neither like track nor ledgers. It's probably nothing but I'm sure someone can look up the truck's number and find out.

I would guess iron support at most.

I don't see any use of "wicked" or "twisted" or "new" or "iron" with Mean Streak. Those are things SF did. I expect Mean Streak's new name to be either a CF recycled name (Hawk), or something new and original a la Rugarou and Valravn.

My thoughts exactly. Why has everyone oveooked this?

Great, so we can look forward to another practically un-pronounceable name?