TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ agreed...
Question!!!

I was a 2015 platinum pass holder but did not renew for 2016. I plan to get a Cedar Point platinum pass for 2017. Will that allow me early entry when I go this Saturday? Also, does the pass processing open early? If so, any idea on how early?

I am only at the park Saturday and want to make the most of it. I will be getting Fast Lane Plus. If my 2017 platinum pass won't get me in for early entry, is there any other way into early entry without staying on property?

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to get early entry and I don't know of anyways to "sneak in" if that's what you're referring to. Honestly though if you have fastlane plus you'll get more rides in than you really need. Have fun!

I actually work in guest services, and unfortunately no, the 2017 pass benefits won't start until 2017. Sorry about that! And no, there's no other way to get in to early entry without having a platinum pass or staying at a CP hotel!

Thank you for this information! I'm a bit disappointed but with Fast Lane Plus for the day, I won't need the hour early entry. It will hurt watching everyone enjoying the coasters while I standby and watch but such is life!

Thanks again!

Not much of an update, but Screamscape has posted more pictures of the lift hill disassembly work.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

Remember how Melt and CP were tweeting back and forth? Kings Island has put in a local chain, Tom + Chee for the rest of the season to see how it does. Anyone seen a local restaurant or food pop up at CP? Maybe they will try this out chain wide. Can only hope they do so to help get their food game on track. Seems like a no brainer.

It will be interesting to see exactly what Cedar Point does for their 150th. And yes, it is a major milestone anniversary, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will be getting anything major that year.

The whole concept of amusement park anniversaries didn't cross my mind until Six Flags Great America, another amusement park, celebrated their 40th this year. And they didn't get anything major. But next year, they will be getting coaster #14, an S&S free spin.

Six Flags Great America is one of the world's best parks, with one of the best assortment of roller coasters. However, Cedar Point makes them look like a local carnival. Goliath, Superman, Viper, are about the only coasters that don't loose their luster after hitting Cedar Point.

It will also be interesting to see if the Mean Streak RMC re-track is complete, and up and running by 2017 or 2018. Twisted Collossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain began construction about the same time. I believe it was RMC's biggest project to date? Anyway, Colossus closed in August of 2014 and it was close to June 2015 before it opened, and this construction took place in the mild California climate. Mean Streak is also going to be a big project, but the difference in climate means more potential "snow days" depending upon the severity of this coming winter. If the great lakes region has a horrible winter, it may not be ready until next August, in which case, they may not even bother to open it until 2018. But RMC is becoming more and more experienced at building these too, so IDK.

When Six Flags Great America built Goliath, their RMC masterpiece, the winter was severe and led to opening delays. Construction started in September and it wasn't completed until June, and it is only 3,100 feet of track, though the entire structure was build new. I'm wondering if and/or how much will shorten the length of Mean Streak, as RMC usually does. But at the same time, RMC has also been known to make a ride taller or a drop longer. Mean Streak has enough girth for RMC to potentially turn it into their best work. If they were to add 35' to the highest point, they would have the world's only official wooden hyper coaster ( I'm KI's SOB was, but no longer stands and Dollywood's Lightening Rod's height is disputed), which would also push the all-time speed record for wooden roller coasters. Or they could split the difference of 25' between the top and bottom of the first drop (dig a tunnel) to exceed The 180', drop, which is the wooden coaster record currently held by SFGAm's Goliath. It all depends on whether or not they can stay within wood's physical limits. If they kept the entire mile of track, they could easily have 4 inversions and some 0 gravity stalls. There's certainly a lot of potential to dream about.

With all due respect, should we even have to say that RMC I-box transformations are NOT wooden coasters anymore? Topper track, yeah, given the nature of its track design. But the Iron Horse track is 100% steel, through-and-through. Supports don't mean jack-diddly-squat when it comes to "is it wood or steel".

It will be interesting to see exactly what Cedar Point does for their 150th. And yes, it is a major milestone anniversary, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will be getting anything major that year.

The whole concept of amusement park anniversaries didn't cross my mind until Six Flags Great America, another amusement park, celebrated their 40th this year. And they didn't get anything major. But next year, they will be getting coaster #14, an S&S free spin.

Six Flags Great America is one of the world's best parks, with one of the best assortment of roller coasters. However, Cedar Point makes them look like a local carnival. Goliath, Superman, Viper, are about the only coasters that don't loose their luster after hitting Cedar Point.

It will also be interesting to see if the Mean Streak RMC re-track is complete, and up and running by 2017 or 2018. Twisted Collossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain began construction about the same time. I believe it was RMC's biggest project to date? Anyway, Colossus closed in August of 2014 and it was close to June 2015 before it opened, and this construction took place in the mild California climate. Mean Streak is also going to be a big project, but the difference in climate means more potential "snow days" depending upon the severity of this coming winter. If the great lakes region has a horrible winter, it may not be ready until next August, in which case, they may not even bother to open it until 2018. But RMC is becoming more and more experienced at building these too, so IDK.

When Six Flags Great America built Goliath, their RMC masterpiece, the winter was severe and led to opening delays. Construction started in September and it wasn't completed until June, and it is only 3,100 feet of track, though the entire structure was build new. I'm wondering if and/or how much will shorten the length of Mean Streak, as RMC usually does. But at the same time, RMC has also been known to make a ride taller or a drop longer. Mean Streak has enough girth for RMC to potentially turn it into their best work. If they were to add 35' to the highest point, they would have the world's only official wooden hyper coaster ( I'm KI's SOB was, but no longer stands and Dollywood's Lightening Rod's height is disputed), which would also push the all-time speed record for wooden roller coasters. Or they could split the difference of 25' between the top and bottom of the first drop (dig a tunnel) to exceed The 180', drop, which is the wooden coaster record currently held by SFGAm's Goliath. It all depends on whether or not they can stay within wood's physical limits. If they kept the entire mile of track, they could easily have 4 inversions and some 0 gravity stalls. There's certainly a lot of potential to dream about.

With all due respect, should we even have to say that RMC I-box transformations are NOT wooden coasters anymore? Topper track, yeah, given the nature of its track design. But the Iron Horse track is 100% steel, through-and-through. Supports don't mean jack-diddly-squat when it comes to "is it wood or steel".

We really shouldn't. An I-Box track is, like you said, completely steel, which technically makes it a "Hybrid" Coaster, but everybody classifies them as steel coasters.

Not much of an update, but Screamscape has posted more pictures of the lift hill disassembly work.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

Remember how Melt and CP were tweeting back and forth? Kings Island has put in a local chain, Tom + Chee for the rest of the season to see how it does. Anyone seen a local restaurant or food pop up at CP? Maybe they will try this out chain wide. Can only hope they do so to help get their food game on track. Seems like a no brainer.

A few of the food trucks from the food truck festival have stuck around, including the grilled cheese one.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have problems with Cedar Point's hotel booking website?

I've been having issues with booking on the website too. I wondered if they did that crap where they won't allow you to book X months in advance like one of my favorite ski places does. I prefer to book as soon as I know my dates which sometimes is a year or more in advance. You'd think companies would be all over it but nope. Didn't feel like calling and after trying multiple times online I never got it resolved for CP so let me know if you figure it out!

I'm also headed to the park tomorrow!

I will have Fast Lane Plus, but can someone tell me how it works on each coaster?

Which coasters still have a significant wait after the Fast Lane Plus entry? (I know Millennium Force still makes you wait like 30 minutes)

Are there any coasters where you can't pick your own row with Fast Lane Plus?

Are there any rides worth riding that aren't on FLP? I can't remember even though I've been to the park a handful of times.

Which coasters still have a significant wait after the Fast Lane Plus entry?

Magnum (15 minutes or so)

Millennium Force (15-30 minutes or so)

Rougarou (15 minutes or so)

Wicked Twister (15 minutes or so)

Top Thrill Dragster (15 minutes or so)

Maverick can be anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes with Fastlane. It lets you right into the station but frequently backs up.

Are there any coasters where you can't pick your own row with Fast Lane Plus?

No. Gatekeeper even lets you pick your wing.

Are there any rides worth riding that aren't on FLP? I can't remember even though I've been to the park a handful of times.

Iron Dragon, but if the line is to the entrance or spilling out a bit it's only a 15 minute wait.

Pro Tip: Gemeni is an awesome Fastlane coaster. You'll be on in like 2 minutes every time.

Millennium's more like 10-15 minutes, really. 30 is really exaggerating from the ramp considering their operations and the high capacity. Maverick could still be 30-45 fairly easily at peak times though. I believe you can always choose a row.

You're right but the problem with Millennium Force is that the Fastlane line can easily back up all the way to the entrance of the queue so you don't always get on the ramp right away. Plus since the ride is on regular Fastlane is has insane Fastlane demand.

^Thanks everyone, especially the detailed info from coasterbill. Very helpful! I should know this stuff by now but feedback from regulars always helps.

If anyone has any other good tips, please let me know! Very much appreciated.

Be sure and post a review as we are going the following Sunday with Fast Lane Plus and I look forward to the feedback, experience, and advice you might have after the visit.!

PointBuzz just uploaded this pictures to it's Facebook. So I guess RMC is (even more) pretty much confirmed at this point.

I see a small drop shortly after the completion of the 180 degree turn from the station, but I also see a bracket mounted at a extreme height difference from the last one. If you look carefully on the fence line where the lift hill used to be, you can see a track bracket there. Notice the height difference between that one and the bracket just before it? Must be a steep lift hill or some kind of launch to get up that height difference!

^I could imagine a launch ala Maverick/Lightning Rod but after LR problems for being unreliable I don't see CF going for it knowing what they have done in the past (Reliable, Rerideable Crowdpleasers). Also, Maverick will be few meters away, so as it's possible, it doesn't has a lot of sense to put a launch (except if it is for the speed record).

^I'm pretty sure Maverick standing next door still validates his point, as he stated.

^I could imagine a launch ala Maverick/Lightning Rod but after LR problems for being unreliable I don't see CF going for it knowing what they have done in the past (Reliable, Rerideable Crowdpleasers). Also, Maverick will be few meters away, so as it's possible, it doesn't has a lot of sense to put a launch (except if it is for the speed record).

With the ledgers already being installed, it makes me wonder how long it'll be until we start seeing track show up somewhere on the peninsula....

They're making really quick work, and as you said, with ledgers already installed i'd expect to be seeing it pretty soon!

I guess we'll see track soon, it'll be interesting to see if this is an all wooden conversion like someone suggested earlier in the thread, or the tried and true iron horse.

After looking for detailed images of the RMC support systems, I cannot find a clear difference in construction before track in attached. They all seem to use the same steel ledgers and brackets regardless of track type. I would love to see them keep this classified as "wooden" and go after some records.