TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It's very easy to break the most inversions record and that's enough to attract GP IMO.

Not taking away from the brilliant CP or RMC engineers and what they can come up with, but I feel like if Mean Streak would have 15 inversions, there would no doubt be sections of track that would have inversions shoe-horned in just for the sake of beating a record. I'd rather have those sections utilized a little bit better.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

^ Cedar Point fanboy. This isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon, there are limits on what can be done if you want to use an existing structure. If they did construct a new lift and drop of greater than 200 ft, then they would not be able to use the entire original first half of Mean Streak's structure under the former path due to speed and space limitations, at least not without a large set of trim brakes. CP just added a 220 ft tall coaster this year, so they don't need to add 2 200 ft coasters back to back. And to break the drop height record for a wooden/hybrid coaster, they only need to beat Goliath's 180 ft drop which is possible but just barely when using the existing structure. People should stop thinking of RMC Mean Streak as being like MF or Valravn, as RMC coasters are far more comparable to Maverick and other shorter, fast paced coasters.

If Cedar Point wants it, it will happen. You're not an engineer so stop acting like one.

CP just added a 220 ft tall coaster this year, so they don't need to add 2 200 ft coasters back to back.

That doesn't really mean anything. Millennium Force, Wicked Twister and Top Thrill Dragster were all added in a span of 3 out of 4 years. Cedar Point will add what they deem appropriate.

That doesn't really mean anything. Millennium Force, Wicked Twister and Top Thrill Dragster were all added in a span of 3 out of 4 years. Cedar Point will add what they deem appropriate.

This is true, but there are definitely limitations when using an existing structure, as opposed to knocking the thing down and starting from scratch. Now, granted, Mean Streak is ridiculously drawn-out so that might not be as much of an issue. But, at least in my opinion, to say that "New Mean Streak" will be dramatically different from New Texas Giant is a little...optimistic, based on what's already there. I for one would love a New Texas Giant that's how ever many hours closer to my house.

New Texas Giant is my favorite of the RMCs I've ridden thus far (Twisted Colossus, Wicked Cyclone, Joker, Iron Ratter), I just love the abundance of airtime, length, and layout. A variant ofTexas Giant at CP wouldn't be such a bad thing and would probably be top 3 in the park if not #1.

At this point I think an LSM launch of some kind is very possible, likely in tribute to the 10th anniversary of Maverick, which alongside El Toro inspired many of the design ideas and elements used on RMCs

tribute to the 10th anniversary of Maverick

Should I just make the quote my signature?

^ Cedar Point fanboy. This isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon, there are limits on what can be done if you want to use an existing structure. If they did construct a new lift and drop of greater than 200 ft, then they would not be able to use the entire original first half of Mean Streak's structure under the former path due to speed and space limitations, at least not without a large set of trim brakes. CP just added a 220 ft tall coaster this year, so they don't need to add 2 200 ft coasters back to back. And to break the drop height record for a wooden/hybrid coaster, they only need to beat Goliath's 180 ft drop which is possible but just barely when using the existing structure. People should stop thinking of RMC Mean Streak as being like MF or Valravn, as RMC coasters are far more comparable to Maverick and other shorter, fast paced coasters.

i don't know how you even begin to think a structure can't withstand X amount of G force when you don't even know what it's going to do.

From rumblings I've heard... I know I know those that talk don't know and those who do don't talk whatever The lift is being steepened to 45* with approximately 39 feet added to the height, total drop height was not given, it will feature Wood Topper Track and not steel Ibox. There will be no launch and no inversions. Brown Streak will be billed as the tallest Fastest Wooden coaster on the planet opening in 2018 Layout has major changes and will not follow the exact path of the current Mean Streak it will look nothing LIKE NTAG and will be an AIRTIME MONSTER!!!

I'm told the pallets of Steel i beams showing up will be for re-enforcements and a new transfer Take with a box of salt if you will

^ Cedar Point fanboy. . .

Hate to disappoint you buddy, but I am not a "Cedar Point fanboy." Cedar Point just happens to be a park I frequent, I enjoy, and is home to my favorite coaster. Nice try though.

. . .they would not be able to use the entire original first half of Mean Streak's structure under the former path due to speed and space limitations. . .

Ohhh, good to know we have an RMC engineer on the boards now.

. . .And to break the drop height record for a wooden/hybrid coaster, they only need to beat Goliath's 180 ft. . .

Wrong. If they want to break the record for the tallest wooden coaster in the world they would have to beat Colossos at Heide Park Resort which is 196.8 ft tall.

CP just added a 220 ft tall coaster this year, so they don't need to add 2 200 ft coasters back to back

True. Why would they want to add another record breaking coaster?? You're right, Cedar Point obviously cares so much about adding two 200+ft roller coasters back to back!! Oh, wait. That's right. 2000, 2002, 2003

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

. . .And to break the drop height record for a wooden/hybrid coaster, they only need to beat Goliath's 180 ft. . .

Wrong. If they want to break the record for the tallest wooden coaster in the world they would have to beat Colossos at Heide Park Resort which is 196.8 ft tall.

I think he means drop length, which Goliath still has the record.

Cedar Point didn't trim Mean Streak because it couldn't handle the forces. It was to make the ride as comfortable as possible and cut back on track maintenance. A lot of people don't know this, but much of the ride was actually re-profiled after the first few seasons to make the layout more gradual. This is something that happened to Colossus as well, and look what happened there.

So to say that adding height to the structure is impossible, is just BS at this point. Engineering isn't a guessing game. RMC probably has fully modeled the ride, and is performing stress analysis testing on the current structure to see what the limits are. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a steel lift hill here, much like Goliath. This way, if they want to add a good chunk of height, they can do so without having to go through every single beam on the lift structure.

Whether it's I-Box or Topper, a lot of steel bracing and reinforcements will be added to the structure, so I don't think that adding height will be too much of an issue. If they could do it with other coasters that have worked well, and are high rankers, they can definitely do it here.

^ Great point!

And don't forget about one of the best ever flat rides over there too!

I'd plan a trip to a park that only had RMCStreak, Maverick, and Skyhawk.

Let alone add in top tier rides like MF, TTD, Magnum, Raptor, ect...

I think the biggest question now is: how will the RMC Streak line affect Maverick's? Will it take away from Maverick's line or add it it? Everyone's saying it's a 1-2 punch. But the question is how long is the wait between 1 and 2?

Fast Lane Plus nullified your question a few years ago!

I think Maverick will be the same deal, perhaps a bit longer, but it's not like it's currently some well-kept secret in the back in the park -- it's often 45+ min as-is. Expect lines. If anything, I anticipate the Valravn popularity surge settling like Gatekeeper did after two seasons, and that the crowd will remain focused on each of the big three Intamins, + the new hotness Mean Streak.

I think the biggest question now is: how will the RMC Streak line affect Maverick's? Will it take away from Maverick's line or add it it? Everyone's saying it's a 1-2 punch. But the question is how long is the wait between 1 and 2?

Fast Lane Plus nullified your question a few years ago!

I think Maverick will be the same deal, perhaps a bit longer, but it's not like it's currently some well-kept secret in the back in the park -- it's often 45+ min as-is. Expect lines. If anything, I anticipate the Valravn popularity surge settling like Gatekeeper did after two seasons, and that the crowd will remain focused on each of the big three Intamins, + the new hotness Mean Streak.

Wow. Mean Streak and Hotness. Two things i never thought i would see in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

(Except the fire )