TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Since there's a head chopper on the lift and steel coaster having higher friction than wooden coaster, they are probably pushing back the lift for a bit and using a steeper lift. That way the turn above the lift hill won't have to be super slow.

My gut* would say Cedar Point is pushing the lift back and making it steeper. By doing this Meaner HawkStreak could easily hit 200'+. A few people have mentioned the possibility of this being the first RMC wood coaster conversion, which would be good from a marketing standpoint. This would allow Cedar Point to have:

-tallest wooden coaster

-fastest wooden coaster

-steepest wooden coaster drop

-most coasters at a park over 200 ft tall with Magnum, MF, Valravn, TTD, WT (kinda), and MeanieHawkStreak

-Most inversions on a wooden coaster

-or- most airtime on a coaster (which would be amazing)

-some other record that wouldn't really mean anything

*My gut has a BS degree in backseat park management with no qualifications. This project is gonna be exciting to watch and speculate about.

200+ ft tall is very unlikely, as the existing structure can only accommodate a max height of possibly 175 to 180 ft. A 200+ ft lift and drop would mean they would have to use a trim brake to reduce speed if they wanted to use the rest of the existing structure. At this point I think an LSM launch of some kind is very possible, likely in tribute to the 10th anniversary of Maverick, which alongside El Toro inspired many of the design ideas and elements used on RMCs.

I really don't think it would be impossible to see a 200'+ conversion. If they can add height to a lift hill (which they have done multiple times already), why would one think that adding height to other portions of the ride not be possible?! That doesn't make any sense. Plus we have all seen how RMC likes to have their coasters flying through the course to really get all of the forces.

Totally random thought, but I just keep thinking how cool it would be, if they did in fact make this a launched lift like LR, to see an inversion before the drop similar to the hulk lol.

They've added 10 to 15 ft to the height in the past, not 40+ ft to make a 200+ ft tall coaster. Manage your expectations, because CP doesn't need this coaster to be 200 ft tall to be a success.

You're totally right that it would be the most height added to a RMC conversion which is a concern. I'll just make the argument that if it's slated to open in 2018 vs 17, Cedar Point might take the time to make the lift taller and steeper and add new support structure to accommodate 200'. With New Texas Giant, the steep drop enabled them to add an airtime hill before the first turn. If they hit 200' with an extended structure, the drop could go directly into the first turn without an airtime hill.

I'm totally managing my expectations though, and won't have a meltdown if they don't hit 200' This type of back and forth speculation is part of the fun while we wait for more details.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they go for a wooden hyper. Adding 40 feet seems fine. Another thought is that they could go underground to get the hyper-length drop, but I think that might be difficult that close to the lake.

They've added 10 to 15 ft to the height in the past, not 40+ ft to make a 200+ ft tall coaster.

Just because they haven't done it yet, doesn't mean they cant/wont. If the customer wants it, RMC can make it happen.

Manage your expectations, because CP doesn't need this coaster to be 200 ft tall to be a success.

You're right. They don't need this coaster to be 200ft tall. But lets be honest. . . It's Cedar Point. Cedar Point is all about breaking records, and having the biggest, fastest, tallest. . . So it makes sense that they would make this coaster 200ft tall, so it would be the tallest (and probably) fastest wooden coaster in the world. You seem to be forgetting how much breaking records means to Cedar Point.

^ Cedar Point fanboy. This isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon, there are limits on what can be done if you want to use an existing structure. If they did construct a new lift and drop of greater than 200 ft, then they would not be able to use the entire original first half of Mean Streak's structure under the former path due to speed and space limitations, at least not without a large set of trim brakes. CP just added a 220 ft tall coaster this year, so they don't need to add 2 200 ft coasters back to back. And to break the drop height record for a wooden/hybrid coaster, they only need to beat Goliath's 180 ft drop which is possible but just barely when using the existing structure. People should stop thinking of RMC Mean Streak as being like MF or Valravn, as RMC coasters are far more comparable to Maverick and other shorter, fast paced coasters.

^ Cedar Point fanboy. This isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon, there are limits on what can be done if you want to use an existing structure. If they did construct a new lift and drop of greater than 200 ft, then they would not be able to use the entire original first half of Mean Streak's structure under the former path due to speed and space limitations, at least not without a large set of trim brakes. CP just added a 220 ft tall coaster this year, so they don't need to add 2 200 ft coasters back to back. And to break the drop height record for a wooden/hybrid coaster, they only need to beat Goliath's 180 ft drop which is possible but just barely when using the existing structure. People should stop thinking of RMC Mean Streak as being like MF or Valravn, as RMC coasters are far more comparable to Maverick and other shorter, fast paced coasters.

Opinions provided by logical beings like ourselves are unwelcome here.

In all seriousness, they added 10 feet to Texas Giant, I would expect the same or similar in this case. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever Mean Streak ends up being is very similar to what became New Texas Giant - which apparently still kicks butt. I don't think a record is necessary with this one so long as they push the "reborn" angle in their marketing.