TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Unsurprisingly, Tony has asked for the questions to stop:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/Tidbits-and-Things?mobile=0

I know there are some questions, so I have a few answers. On some stuff.

First order of stuff - Mean Streak. This is the last we will speak of it. It's now dead. I mean, it's in the Dead Rides Cemetery, for cryin' out loud!

We've received many, many questions regarding the wood and what we're going to do with it.

I just wanted to let you know that we're not selling it or making any other pieces of the ride available for purchase (or otherwise) at this time.

Should that change, I'll let you know.

And you can ask me as many times as you'd like about what's going on back there - but I'm not going to say. Yet.

http://s21.postimg.org/503i74g2f/FB_IMG_1474669259668.jpg

pictures are now coming in if the truck onsite. not my photo

(Photo from the above link)

Hey, you gotta give them a little credit. . . at least the tried to hide it. . .

I'm not at all surprised that we haven't heard anything about the New Mean Streak yet. Looking back at New Texas Giant's remodel:

- The ride closed November 1, 2009.

- Renovations began almost immediately.

- On March 3, 2010, RMC was revealed.

- The total renovation was 18-months.

- The ride reopened April 22, 2011.

Now let's compare that to what we "know" of Mean Streak so far.

- The ride closed September 16, 2016

- RMC vehicles have already been seen on site, and track has already started being removed (Similar to "renovations began almost immediately" with NTG.

- Still no announcement yet, (assuming) because they just announced the new water park stuff going in for 2017. Also assuming if they announced New Mean Streak now, then it would overshadow the new water park stuff. From Cedar Point's standpoint I can see why they would want the water park to have its time of shining glory. For those who do not frequent Cedar Point if they announced New Mean Streak now it might make people less likely to want to come back for 2017. They'd rather wait till 2018 and do the new water park, and New Mean Streak during the same visit.

- Given the size of Texas Giant, and the size of Mean Streak, I wouldn't be surprised if it were an 18 month renovation for Mean Streak as well, which would put construction ending around March 2018. Still giving them time to test, and cycle before Cedar Point opens in May.

I personally think RMC is pretty much confirmed (just not officially, obviously) at this point. Especially after the RMC vehicles being on site. Now, I just can't wait to see what they do with the layout!! I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't add 40ft (ish) of height to the lift hill, making this "The worlds tallest wooden coaster," and worlds only "wooden hyper coaster." Or however they market it. I just hope it has a few inversions mix in the layout, because I feel like that's the one thing New Texas Giant is missing.

I rode Mean Streak a couple of months ago for the first time and was surprised by how much I didn't hate it. I didn't love it by any stretch, but given the ire it generates, it surprised me. With that said, its strengths were its length and the monumental design of the structure itself. If it is indeed RMC working on it, part of me hopes that they aim for more of an extended twister design that retains much of the structure and uses it for head choppers etc. Given the breakneck pacing of RMC coasters, I'd personally rather see a version of Mean Streak that's even longer than the original rather than a design filled with extreme ejector air or RMC's usual elements. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I would be genuinely interested to see what RMC could do with more focus on floater air and a greater emphasis on protracted pacing. Anyhow, looking forward to seeing what'll come of all this.