TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

First off.....

BOAT BOAT BOAT BOAT BOAT.....

whew - got that off of my chest.

Now - Am I mistaken that Mean Streak was very similar to Texas Giant (the original?) If so - I certainly wouldn't complain with an "upgraded" NTAG at the Point. It would definitely get me to make the road trip or fly up there again to ride.

Either way, this is pretty exciting

Last note - I never found Mean Streak to be particularly rough. I found it to be exceptionally boring, but never too rough.

David

The one thing i would like is how did people get pictures from the back of the park over the last two days. The park is closed they don't just let any one drive around the parking lots.

People are working on site all year. Those people send pictures to friends. Those friends share pictures to the internet. The internet looks for boats anyways.

If you remember, Texas Giant was closed in 2009 before opening in 2011 as NTAG. Same with Wildfire, announced in March 2014, opened summer 2016. Both of these have much longer & high-profile layouts compared to most of the other conversions/new coasters from RMC that were done in less than a year.

Wildfire's construction delays also had to deal with permit issues and other paperwork. Otherwise it would have opened earlier.

It's pretty sad that people have nothing better to do all day that we've gotten to the level of faking crane pictures for a roller coaster company. While I'm on the side of RMC inevitably fixing Mean Streak anyways, I just don't know what to believe anymore. Hopefully someone a little more credible makes their way down to the Point so we can get to the bottom of this.

Tossing in a name suggestion.

Haha! Thank God there was something worth seeing after sifting through the last ten pages of garbage.

I finally completed my Cedar Point Cinematic/Slow Motion video; it took about 15-20 hours total, but it's finally done, and I hope you guys enjoy it!

Well, OK... this too.

It's pretty sad that people have nothing better to do all day that we've gotten to the level of faking crane pictures for a roller coaster company.

It's a little sad that so many people assume they are faking these photos.

At the risk of being completely overshadowed by all of the Mean Streak & RMC talk, I'd like to share something with you guys.

I finally completed my Cedar Point Cinematic/Slow Motion video; it took about 15-20 hours total, but it's finally done, and I hope you guys enjoy it! I have always wanted to visit CP and create a video like this for the park, and am really proud of the result. I'd really appreciate any feedback via a post below, comment on YouTube, or PM here on TPR. Let me know what you think!

Without further ado, I present Cedar Point's Steel Giants (feat. wooden coasters)

Also, here's a quick run down of some of the coasters we rode during our late-August visit:

Maverick - It's my new favorite coaster. It packs so many different elements in one complete, intense package. It's themed decently, provides great ejector airtime, fast launches, tight transitions, and a really smooth ride. It's everything I could ask for in a coaster.

Millennium Force - This coaster doesn't deserve the hate it gets. It's fast, smooth, has airtime that dwarfs that of the standard B&M hyper, and does all of this while providing a long ride through and over the treetops.

Gatekeeper - Is it forceless? Basically. Is it an awesome ride? Definitely. I loved Gatekeeper, it was such a fantastic experience in the front row on the last train of the night during a spectacular summer sunset. Very smooth and graceful.

Top Thrill Dragster - Loved everything about it except the length. I didn't feel it was fair to compare it to other coasters simply because there isn't enough substance to TTD.

Valravn - It was a good, fun dive coaster, but the vests kill a lot of the potential floating that happens on Griffon. I'd still rank it above Griffon because the layout isn't as repetitive and its a longer ride, but the actual diving wasn't as pronounced. The view, however, was terrific.

Raptor - A really fast paced B&M invert with snappy transitions and great forces. While I didn't appreciate the headbang the corkscrews provided, the rest of the coaster was a ton of fun.

Rougarou - I actually liked this a lot more than I expected to. It wasn't rough in my experience, it shuffled at the bottom of the dive loop and through the corkscrew, but it was pretty smooth otherwise. I would rank it above Dominator; I really liked the twisting transitions.

Magnum - I didn't really get the hype. It was fun I guess, but it was terribly uneventful. The coathangered arrow transitions that start banking about 100 yard too soon didn't help either.

Wicked Twister - Rode it in the back row; every launch made it progressively more rattley. I'm sure its fine in the front, but I wasn't sticking around to test that theory.

Skyhawk - Best. Flat. Ever.

That. Video.

Those two shots of gatekeeper going through the key holes were amazing. Loved the one from the sky ride!!! Amazing work!