TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That post ins't even arguing for a 2017 opening, just hypothesizing what a 2018 opening means for us. Also, you've repeated your marketing argument like 5 times today, we get that you think 2017 is unrealistic.

I'm just trying to understand WHY they would start construction THIS early! Surely closing the coaster a month later with the rest of the park would work, no? And even if the coaster was THAT expensive and they needed to close it now, you think they would really need trucks immediately after?

Something's fishy...

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle here. I think they closed it early to save some money and to have a conservative timeline. Maybe Mean Streak wasn't costing them a ton of money but they closed Hurler for the season with very little visible work going on so closing unpopular wood coasters at least partially for budget isn't exactly foreign to them. That being said even with a conservative timeline I think (for once) it's entirely reasonable to expect a monster of a coaster here. Until now, every RMC IBox coaster in America was built by Six Flags, a company that doesn't generally spend as much on new coasters as Cedar Fair minus the ride at Kentucky Kingdom which obviously had budgetary constraints and those coasters were all awesome. The combination of Mean Streak's huge structure, a long timeline and a company that has no issue dropping 25 million dollars at a time on a coaster creates some really, really exciting scenarios.

This is a very interesting point to look at. They could keep the entire structure of the ride and add extra track length throughout the structure of the ride, or use the large area in the middle of the ride for more track configurations. They could make it taller, bigger, add underground tunnels, you name it, to possibly make this a grand project that would take all season to have it open in 2018. Cedar Point would be the park to spend the extra money to make this the number one RMC project to date. This could be something we haven't seen done yet by RMC for their conversions.

This is huge. I still don't think it makes sense to announce next years improvements omitting the chains first RMC. But I'm not going to complain about what I don't understand. I seem to remember Maverick being half built before it was announced. Maybe there's a reason they want to do that... or maybe this is a 2018 attraction.

Who cares. RMC is at CP, and I'm ready for whatever it is they're about to do. It will be excellent.

Actually, I'd guess 2017 based purely on a the early start, the lack of other RMC projects, and the fact that Cedar Point hasn't announced their in park additions yet.

Cedar Point is spending a ridiculous amount of money on additions already. They're currently making huge expansions to 2 hotels and expanding and renovating the water park all while a major RMC coaster project seems to be going on and they're building a sports complex off point and relocating a 200 foot Sky Coaster. Plus they just built the world's tallest dive coaster this year.

The Breakers expansion is for 2018... The sports complex isn't a huge expense for them, relocating a sky coaster is peanuts.

I'm still going with 2017. No RMCs announced, nothing has been announced in park. They are already working on Mean Streak and closed it early and teased it. 2017 seems logical

Edited by Mossed

Actually, I'd guess 2017 based purely on a the early start, the lack of other RMC projects, and the fact that Cedar Point hasn't announced their in park additions yet.

Cedar Point is spending a ridiculous amount of money on additions already. They're currently making huge expansions to 2 hotels and expanding and renovating the water park all while a major RMC coaster project seems to be going on and they're building a sports complex off point and relocating a 200 foot Sky Coaster. Plus they just built the world's tallest dive coaster this year.

The Breakers expansion is for 2018... The sports complex isn't a huge expense for them, relocating a sky coaster is peanuts.

I'm still going with 2017. No RMCs announced, nothing has been announced in park. They are already working on Mean Streak and closed it early and teased it. 2017 seems logical

Ignoring the fact that as we keep saying it makes no sense from a marketing standpoint and they already announced their 2017 additions, Breakers won't be done until 2018 but it's an ongoing, expensive project as is the renovation at the other hotel which will be done in 2017 (I believe). As far as the sports park, do we know the details of who's paying for what? You're also ignoring the waterpark updates and expansion and the fact that they just built a huge expensive B&M this year. They've also made some infrastructure upgrades like the new water tower which I'm sure weren't cheap. They're already spending a ton of money.

I feel like the focus with the announcement for Soak City was to help distract from the closing of Geuaga Lake

I like another "M" name for it... Marauder!

Also, if we're going with both them "honoring" Mean Streak's name, and also being cheap and saving an additional copyright on the name, how about "Silver Streak", and have the rails be a silver color? It could be "themed" (always a word used loosely at CP) to a silver mine in the old west, honor MS, and would look pretty sharp with the contrast between beige wood, and the silver track!

I'm still on the side of a 2018 RMC, primarily due to the marketing angle (and, sand is rapidly slipping through the hourglass.) However, I am not going to rule anything out yet at this point, and I think the most exciting news of the day is simply stone cold confirmation of an RMC coming to CP. I mean, this is a serious hallelujah, people!

Oh, in regard to the boat nonsense trying to start again...

I'm wondering if maybe CP is going to try for a late season opening here.

They can use this to bolster 2018 pass sales, but also spike attendance in late Summer 2017... Probably unlikely, but just a thought. I just can't see major construction going on without an explanation.

As far as the sports park, do we know the details of who's paying for what?

CP is paying very little for it. And with what they're charging for tournaments, they're gonna make a killing from it. From Sandusky Register

• $3.5 million: money from Cedar Point buying the former Griffing Sandusky Airport site and contributing it to the project

• $3 million: money from The Sports Force

• $17 million: money from local and state officials raising the countywide bed tax — also called the hotel-motel or lodging tax, it's a fee tacked onto overnight stays — rate by 2 percent

Guests staying at any hotel, motel or lodge within Erie County must pay 7 percent in tax, up from 5 percent.

Note: The Sports Force will be responsible for all maintenance costs once construction is completed.

The announcement will be soon, they didn't announce Rougoru for 2 to 3 weeks after constant teasing.

Edited by schoup

Ignoring the fact that as we keep saying it makes no sense from a marketing standpoint and they already announced their 2017 additions, Breakers won't be done until 2018 but it's an ongoing, expensive project as is the renovation at the other hotel which will be done in 2017 (I believe). As far as the sports park, do we know the details of who's paying for what? You're also ignoring the waterpark updates and expansion and the fact that they just built a huge expensive B&M this year. They've also made some infrastructure upgrades like the new water tower which I'm sure weren't cheap. They're already spending a ton of money.

I think it's a brilliant move from a marketing standpoint, to not announce it yet. The water park / resort upgrades will drive families, and us thrill junkies are pretty automatic once we hear the letters R M C. I'm also going to add, someone talked about a hybrid wooden coaster being promoted on the parks Fun TV, inside the park. Now, to answer some questions. The Sports park is being paid for mostly from a 2 percent increased bed tax for Eerie County. The park is only putting in 2 million (I want to say), as is Sports Force Park. The water park upgrade seems rather pedestrian for a park that's the size of Cedar Point. Even Carowinds, who had a larger expansion, added something inside the park, only a year after adding a coaster with twice the price tag of Valravn.

The water tower should have been on this years budget, or at least that's my best guess. Has nothing to do with next year. Infrastructure happens every year. These are minor things.

Could someone tell me what the boat thing is, and explain why it's so annoying?

Fixed that for you.

But back in early December 2015, while the world record breaker, Valravn, was being constructed, many people were complaining shocker about people posting photos of the littlest things happen, I.e. track piece coming onto site, a bolt being tighten, the usually. So someone posted a photo from the webcam and said a long the lines of "as you can see, a boat is leaving the marina" and then that started the whole boat thing.

It went on all off-season.

Good-times.gif.b00ff24d01f0b404da49d1aa6939a70f.gif

While I would love to see this built and open next year, I am in the camp that they would have already announced it to push passes for next year. 2018 all the way...and it will still open quicker than any coaster ever built at SFMM.

And yeah...still going with Hurler RMC at KD for 2018 as well. Don't think the Ghostrider treatment would be good enough to salvage this pile of dung coaster.

Whatever it is, it will beat out Twisted Colossus in overall experience (do people still compare SFMM and CP? If not, sorry, late to the game here...)

I could see a double loading station (remember, CP cares about capacity), and a launch section after the lift portion gets low to the ground. No rumors here, just wishes! If they're going with RMC, they're gonna do it right.