TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

RMC shows up this quick. Does this bring any more hope of seeing this done for 2017? I've generally been firmly in the 2018 camp. But Cedar Fair can crank through putting rides up. Still, this is cutting it super close. We're only 7 months out from May. But I can't see them starting now to get it done for May 2018. That's a long time from now, granted this has to be a huge undertaking.

RMC in past years has had many projects. 2016 they had 4 coasters, 2013 thru 2015, 2 coasters each year. RMC has not announced any projects in 2017 possibly b/c Mean Streak is a massive job and CP wants it done for 2017. The renovation of Mean Streak is equivalent to doing 2 coasters in size and cost. Thus, RMC will deploy more crews to it rather than doing more projects.

Actually, I'd guess 2017 based purely on a the early start, the lack of other RMC projects, and the fact that Cedar Point hasn't announced their in park additions yet.

Cedar Point is spending a ridiculous amount of money on additions already. They're currently making huge expansions to 2 hotels and expanding and renovating the water park all while a major RMC coaster project seems to be going on and they're building a sports complex off point and relocating a 200 foot Sky Coaster. Plus they just built the world's tallest dive coaster this year.

I don't think there's any reason to expect any major in-park additions for 2017. They're spending a pretty incredible amount of money already.

If it were a 2017 addition they would have announced it already to boost Season Pass sales during their Halloween event. It wouldn't make any sense to tease a much less impressive Soak City announcement now to drum up sales and wait until the park is closed to announce something infinitely more interesting.

My guess is that they closed Mean Streak early because it's an expensive ride to operate and it doesn't draw gate. Next year the construction will build anticipation and in 2018 I'm sure this thing will open to ridiculous fanfare and a big attendance boost (and they'll have the hotel rooms to handle it if that does end up being the case).

Why wouldn't they keep it open for the rest of the season? They need construction vehicles this early - 21 months before it opens (05/18)?

Maverick was announced in September. Gatekeeper was announced in August, Windseeker was announced in August, Rougarou was announced in September, Pipe Scream and Lake Erie Eagles were announced in August and for years every major Cedar Fair announcement has been made late in the season to drum up Season Pass sales during the Haunt Season.

This is the big promotion on the slider right now on their home page.

cp_fall16sp_rotatorv42.jpg

They want you to buy a 2017 pass which is good for the remainder of this year too. If they're pushing those now don't you think they would announce their huge draw for 2017 instead of focusing on Valravn and Cedar Point shores? It would drive attendance next year and it would drive attendance for the Haunt Season since it includes a 2016 visit.

If it were a 2017 addition they would have announced it already to boost Season Pass sales during their Halloween event. It wouldn't make any sense to tease a much less impressive Soak City announcement now to drum up sales and wait until the park is closed to announce something infinitely more interesting.

My guess is that they closed Mean Streak early because it's an expensive ride to operate and it doesn't draw gate. Next year the construction will build anticipation and in 2018 I'm sure this thing will open to ridiculous fanfare and a big attendance boost (and they'll have the hotel rooms to handle it if that does end up being the case).

Why wouldn't they keep it open for the rest of the season? They need construction vehicles this early - 21 months before it opens (05/18)?

That I don't know. It could be because it's a huge job, it could be because Mean Streak is expensive to maintain and doesn't draw gate anyway and closing it now gave them a cool promotional kick off to their Halloween event all while cutting a little budget. I don't know, but having it be a 2017 addition makes no sense since they already announced their 2017 additions.

Coasterbill, I think you bring up fair points, but we need to look at everything.

Evidence for a 2017 opening:

- Closing the coaster before the season even ends (just like every other RMC retrack)

- Having construction vehicles already showing up (way too early for a 2018 opening)

Evidence for a 2018 opening:

- They already announced next year's additions

- They usually announce stuff earlier than now

- Logical marketing timing

- They just opened a huge coaster this season

Weigh the evidence how you like, I'm personally going with 2017

Actually, I'd guess 2017 based purely on a the early start, the lack of other RMC projects, and the fact that Cedar Point hasn't announced their in park additions yet.

Cedar Point is spending a ridiculous amount of money on additions already. They're currently making huge expansions to 2 hotels and expanding and renovating the water park all while a major RMC coaster project seems to be going on and they're building a sports complex off point and relocating a 200 foot Sky Coaster. Plus they just built the world's tallest dive coaster this year.

I don't think there's any reason to expect any major in-park additions for 2017. They're spending a pretty incredible amount of money already.

The hotels are bringing in huge revenue, that's why they are expanding them. The last completed hotel changes lowered capacity, as they removed 1 wing of Breakers and made the remaining 1 much better. The plan was to add another wing back if the hotel attendance was good. It has been excellent, thus just 2 years later they are adding a new wing. Hotel revenue for CF was a record over 200+ million in their last annual report. The sports complex is 23million but will again be a cash cow. They will host tournaments and the attendance will often stay in CF hotels b/c they will surely offer them deals on lodging and park entry. It will be a great ROI. Also, CF has no problem spending money, they made capital investments of 170M in 2015 and 150M in 2016. They have been making huge investments and their total debt has been stable since 2011. Spending 10-15M on a RMC for 2017 is not holding them back. The reason RMC has no projects for 2017 could be that MS is a massive job and they need to put as many crews on it as if they were doing their normal 2 coasters or so per year.

This whole time we have been riding a coaster that... IsNt EvEn ReAl

That explains the lack of any notable forces. But if you're riding a B&M that isn't real does it still rattle?

Only from the turbulence from crossing over into the Twilight Zone. Interstellar roller coaster travel pulls excessive G's, explaining why the newer restraints were needed.

“I would tell you when we would be announcing what’s going on here, but then I wouldn’t be working at Cedar Point anymore and I’d probably be a reporter for Channel 3,” Clark says. “So I can’t tell you, but it will be worth the wait.”

This leads me to believe it is a 2018 project

Coasterbill, I think you bring up fair points, but we need to look at everything.

Evidence for a 2017 opening:

- Closing the coaster before the season even ends (just like every other RMC retrack)

- Having construction vehicles already showing up (way too early for a 2018 opening)

Evidence for a 2018 opening:

- They already announced next year's additions

- They usually announce stuff earlier than now

- Logical marketing timing

- They just opened a huge coaster this season

Weigh the evidence how you like, I'm personally going with 2017

It's a fair assessment but when I see it presented like that I'd still respectfully disagree with you.

Pushes for season pass sales happening at this time of year aren't an accident. In Q3 and Q4, the chains are pushing hard for revenue because the daily operating season has come to a close and they need to end the fiscal year strongly. Delaying announcing the thing that could move those numbers the most would not be the best way to pump those numbers. Yes: they don't do promotions for season passes in the winter. It's almost like that might have to do something with there being absolutely no one inside the parks during the winter?

This whole time we have been riding a coaster that... IsNt EvEn ReAl

That explains the lack of any notable forces. But if you're riding a B&M that isn't real does it still rattle?

It depends on the number of imaginary ball & socket joints and hinges the ride has: Schwarzkopf did it right!

If CP is really starting work on a "new" Mean Streak/RMC/etc., good for them. I'm surprised, but good for them! They are obviously doing well. I visited the park 4 times this year (with my 2017 CF Platinum Pass; one visit was included and the other days were $14.99). The quality of the service is very good, SO much higher than Six Flags. It makes me WANT to spend my money there. Even if they don't have a Schwarzkopf coaster. Anymore. Or a classic woodie with classic seating. Anymore. It's still a fun park with tons of coasters and flat rides that are open and running well. All sorts of lines (food, entrance, rides) move quickly and employees know what they are doing.

Edited by JT325

“I would tell you when we would be announcing what’s going on here, but then I wouldn’t be working at Cedar Point anymore and I’d probably be a reporter for Channel 3,” Clark says. “So I can’t tell you, but it will be worth the wait.”

This leads me to believe it is a 2018 project

LOL...There is nothing in that statement that leads to anything.

Pushes for season pass sales happening at this time of year aren't an accident. In Q3 and Q4, the chains are pushing hard for revenue because the daily operating season has come to a close and they need to end the fiscal year strongly. Delaying announcing the thing that could move those numbers the most would not be the best way to pump those numbers. Yes: they don't do promotions for season passes in the winter. It's almost like that might have to do something with there being absolutely no one inside the parks during the winter?

CF doesn't do ridiculous pushes for season pass sales. If they were so concerned about driving pass sales in the fall, they would give the farm away like Six Flags does during the flash sale and even their sale now.

CF doesn't do ridiculous pushes for season pass sales. If they were so concerned about driving pass sales in the fall, they would give the farm away like Six Flags does during the flash sale and even their sale now.

CF makes advance sales a significant part of their investor pitch. They don't give the farm away to the degree which Six Flags does because they don't have to. Unlike Six Flags, they've managed to not nuke their customer base repeatedly.

In Q3 and Q4, the chains are pushing hard for revenue because the daily operating season has come to a close and they need to end the fiscal year strongly. Delaying announcing the thing that could move those numbers the most would not be the best way to pump those numbers.

Once again, the voice of reason. I know people really want this to be a 2017 addition, I'd love that too but it doesn't make any sense. Would it be unprecedented in the industry to have a completely idiotic marketing timeline? No. We all remember Tempesto. But for this chain over the last decade or so it would be unprecedented it and economically it makes very little sense. Plus they already had the announcement.

In Q3 and Q4, the chains are pushing hard for revenue because the daily operating season has come to a close and they need to end the fiscal year strongly. Delaying announcing the thing that could move those numbers the most would not be the best way to pump those numbers.

Once again, the voice of reason. I know people really want this to be a 2017 addition, I'd love that too but it doesn't make any sense. Would it be unprecedented in the industry to have a completely idiotic marketing timeline? No. We all remember Tempesto. But for this chain over the last decade or so it would be unprecedented it and economically it makes very little sense. Plus they already had the announcement.

I get it - people want this next year. The idea excites them. It would excite me too! It's OK, we can all go ride Valravn in the meantime. And Raptor. And Maverick. And Dragster. And Gatekeeper and Wicked Twister and....yeah.

I know it's a long time ago now, but Dragster wasn't announced until the tower was nearly completed.

And the park hasn't announced anything inside CP for 2017, other than MS is gone.

I noticed that but it was also more than a decade ago with different people at the helm. Personally I don't expect any major announcements inside the park for next year. You'll get Ripcord and like it. And you'll probably find out about it at Winter Chill Out.