TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Although it's Cedar Point, so it doesn't actually have any voids in its lineup. At this point it's just "add awesome stuff" and "make the existing stuff more awesome." (and yes that includes infrastructure, flats, pretty much any non-coaster thing that's not food. CP food is mostly not awesome)

Oh I could think of a few voids in their line-up. Mainly a GOOD wooden coaster, a really good family coaster (Firechaser Express), a hyper with trains that don't beat the s**t out of you or require any stupid "tricks" to ride without having the s**t beat out of you. (i'll hide from the tomatoes being thrown now )

Devil's Advocate here on PipeScream. Zamperla advertises these rides on their own website as coasters, so can you fault Point for doing the same if the manufacturer calls them a coaster?

Oh I could think of a few voids in their line-up. Mainly a GOOD wooden coaster, a really good family coaster (Firechaser Express), a hyper with trains that don't beat the s**t out of you or require any stupid "tricks" to ride without having the s**t beat out of you. (i'll hide from the tomatoes being thrown now )

I don't understand how anyone could not like Blue Streak. It has a fast paced layout with a ton of airtime, seriously... how is that not a good wood coaster? It's not going to make anyone's top ten list but does anyone ever ride Blue Streak and not have fun?

And while I don't think tightening the seat-belt is overly difficult, they have 5 coasters over 200 feet so if you don't like that one I don't see how a smooth hyper is a void either.

Look, no park is perfect but I don't see how anyone can say that Cedar Point has voids in the coaster lineup. If I were going to complain about anything at Cedar Point it would be about something like the mostly crappy food (though this weekend was the food truck festival so we didn't have that problem), stupid rain policy, lack of a water ride that didn't try to drown you or something like that. I can't really see walking away from Cedar Point feeling like the coaster lineup was missing anything.

Edited by coasterbill

99% of the stuff "Cedar Point is missing" is stuff that the same haters would say afterwards is lost in the mix of such a big park.

True. In the event of a spinning coaster (any spinning coaster, even one with a train instead of individual cars) I would expect nothing but relentless bitching / concern about capacity between the announcement and a few weeks after opening. Then once the lines died down after the first season the complaints that it was lost in a big park would take over even though those 2 complaints are almost completely contradictory since the first implies huge demand for the ride and the second implies the opposite.

99% of the stuff "Cedar Point is missing" is stuff that the same haters would say afterwards is lost in the mix of such a big park.

True. In the event of a spinning coaster (any spinning coaster, even one with a train instead of individual cars) I would expect nothing but relentless bitching / concern about capacity between the announcement and a few weeks after opening. Then once the lines died down after the first season the complaints that it was lost in a big park would take over even though those 2 complaints are almost completely contradictory since the first implies huge demand for the ride and the second implies the opposite.

Isn't it fun to be a part of such an insufferable group

Well I finally made it back to the park on Saturday after visiting in 1994 & then in 2002! The drive was a bit much (8 hours) but WELL worth it! Cedar Point is just how I remember it, AMAZING!

The crews were VERY fast on almost every ride and the park employees were very nice. It was also great that a food truck festival was going on! We did have Fast Lane Plus and it was worth every cent since I was there only one day.

Maverick was the top hit for me!! The first time I rode with my glasses and ended up having to hold onto them, so the following rides were much better!

Rougarou in my opinion was HORRIBLE (I rode Mantis and remember it being the same), I just banged my head back and forth so many time!

Valravn looked beautiful and was a great ride but Maverick just is insane!

Isn't it fun to be a part of such an insufferable group

This weekend at Cedar Point was an eye opener. We ran into some really cool people, many of them from this site who I guessed recognized me from my trip reports (lol I'm famous ) but there were some enthusiasts there who were cringe-worthy and doing things like rattling off ultra specific coaster facts to people in line who clearly didn't care and one guy in an airbrushed "Save Mean Streak" shirt who wouldn't leave the ride ops alone and asked one of them to email him her phone number to let him know what ride she was working next year. I'm convinced that about 50% of the enthusiast community consists of cool, normal, fun people and the other half consists of people with no social skills who b*tch about everything and in many cases don't bathe regularly. Seriously... I can't even tell you how many times Brit and I were line next to an enthusiast trying not to gag. Take a damn shower.

It was sort of surreal having people come up and ask if I was Bill from TPR (though totally cool), in the back of my head my first thought was always "oh sh*t I hope I wasn't a sarcastic a**hole to this person". Brit kept asking how I knew all of these people and to be honest in most cases I didn't.

And by the way, all the people who did that turned out to be cool. If some guy in a path jacket came up to me and asked I probably would have acted like they had no idea what they were talking about assuming that they were pissed about some post I made in the Kings Dominion thread and were about to kick my ass.

PS: Speaking of which deguy, sorry I kept missing your group. I'm glad you guys had fun though.

Edited by coasterbill

It was sort of surreal having people come up and ask if I was Bill from TPR (though totally cool), in the back of my head my first thought was always "oh sh*t I hope I wasn't a sarcastic a**hole to this person". Brit kept asking how I knew all of these people and to be honest in most cases I didn't.

This is the problem with posting selfies on here (or I guess having a selfie as your avatar) - this has happened to me at Great Adv a bunch (including ride ops yelling "BOLDIKUS!!!!!" across the midway at me - on multiple occasions). Most times its fine, and even funny, but I often wonder "Oh no was I an asshole to this person?" if they come up to talk to me.

^You're right, and generally speaking if I can tell that you're an enthusiast because of your behavior then I don't want to talk to you.

PS: And once again I want to reiterate that this isn't directed at anyone I ran into this weekend who came up and said hi. Thankfully everyone was super cool.

^I was one of those people who said hi. I walked away like dang, he probably thinks I'm some crazy fangirl and a total doofus. I saw you guys a couple other times and refrained from saying anything. I met a cool guy on Magnum to hang with me all three days so it turned out okay (and now I have a possible more than friend who can keep up with my coastering, LOL).

Oh, and I totally saw the guy with the airbrushed "Save Mean Streak" shirt and purposely avoided him.

When I talk to GP about coasters, I try to "GP-ify" my conversation to something they could understand. Like whenever I overheard people talking about what was going to happen to Mean Streak, I usually said something along the lines of, "There's this company that reprofiles old wooden coasters and adds steel track on top, making them into completely new coasters with steep drops and barrel rolls and whatnot. They're really cool rides and I hope they do that to Mean Streak."

I hear enthusiasts like, "I hope RMC gives it the Iron Horse treatment and adds a 98.7 degree banked step-up-underflip with retrofitted trains and polyurethane wheels with gold-plated rims, 16 moments of ejector airtime and a reverse-cowgirl dueling inversion complete with a multi track station with a trick track drop, lapbar vest restraints, and a LSM launch built by Gerstlauer and Ron Toomer's ex-wife from ACE."

Oh no not at all! It was nice to meet you. I actually felt bad I was sort of preoccupied when you came by with people texting me about work (on Labor Day weekend, WTF? lol). Sorry you didn't get to meet Brit (I suppose she's TPR famous too lol) since I was waiting on her to come out of the Frontier Town arcade huting for fluffy unicorns in claw machines.

Oh, and I totally saw the guy with the airbrushed "Save Mean Streak" shirt and purposely avoided him.

Lucky you. He was several people in front of us when the kid and I were getting ready to ride Mean Streak, and even though the station was full of people, that was the only person we could hear, as he was excitedly talking loud enough to the other folks in line to be a damn tour guide. *sigh*

PS: Speaking of which deguy, sorry I kept missing your group. I'm glad you guys had fun though.

Same!!! I didn't try the moonshine...ughhh!!! Next time or at Great Adventure, I'm definitely going there in the next few months!

The moonshine was really good, I was impressed. But yeah, hopefully we run into you at Great Adventure (or at the beach but if we're in Dewey or at the Purple Parrot I may or may not remember much )

Oh no not at all! It was nice to meet you. I actually felt bad I was sort of preoccupied when you came by with people texting me about work (on Labor Day weekend, WTF? lol). Sorry you didn't get to meet Brit (I suppose she's TPR famous too lol) since I was waiting on her to come out of the Frontier Town arcade huting for fluffy unicorns in claw machines.

Ah, thanks for explaining! Maybe I'll see you guys another time!

Summary TR of my weekend, I ended up visiting on Saturday from about 4:30 on, Sunday the whole day (turned out to be a 16 hour day with me arriving 8:30 for early entry and not leaving until 12:30 after Valravn ERT), and then returning on Monday for one more really long and hot wait for Maverick.

Speaking of Maverick.... ZOMG!! This weekend was my first time riding it and I am a HUGE fan! No need to say much more, my voice sounds like a 12-year-old boy today after screaming so much on Maverick as well as trying to talk over the Dragster station music (On the rooftop shout it out, baby I'm ready to go!!!).

Mean Streak... I got to say goodbye, 5 times to be exact, three in front and two in back. I actually really enjoyed it, even in the back (I found the rattling in the back to actually be a bit fun). However, after riding it twice in a row with the second ride in the back (as well as a back row ride on Magnum sans seatbelt tightening and back of Gemini right before), I found my back really aching for several hours. Later in the day as our last ride, we took a night ride on it in the front and it was really great. Idk if I can say I'll miss it, but I definitely don't hate it.

Gatekeeper was also a new ride for me and I really, really enjoyed it more than I thought! I couldn't help but laugh whenever I stared at the posts as we twirled around them, it's just a really cool, smooth, and fun ride!

After riding Valravn 5 times during Platinum ERT, I can say it is a great addition (and VERY popular!) for Cedar Point, but I still think I like Sheikra more. Maybe I'm just biased because I got paid to ride Sheikra every week with campers as well as drinking and riding it on my days off, but I do think the vests on Valravn take away from airtime on the drop a bit, and Sheikra just feels taller because it's the tallest coaster at BGT. Also, I love the dive through the tunnel and the splashdown. Valravn is definitely very fun and still a standout ride at the park, and I do love the extra elements in the latter half. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had gotten a couple more back right rides, but the fates didn't allow it. Also, Valravn crew was KILLING it during ERT, they were hitting 60 second dispatches or less and hustling the entire time, and this was at like 12:15. They let the GP finish going through before they started the passholder ERT, and they still gave us an hour to ride it. Mad respect and appreciation for them!

Here are a few pics

IMG_4052.thumb.jpg.7eaffe16969ce457a5a103586851a1da.jpg

First ride on Maverick, an hour and 45 min wait. It was about this long all weekend, but on Sunday we had Fast Lane Plus

IMG_4053.thumb.jpg.a1705e6abb7e62591358519ece1a6b5b.jpg

Mean Streak was stuck on the lift for a bit.

IMG_4055.thumb.jpg.907c3e28535571df67cad417513a8fb3.jpg

Not a great photo but an awesome coaster!

IMG_4056.thumb.jpg.42a02baf6842e32a5a76fb1b130cffa5.jpg

RAWR!

IMG_4059.thumb.jpg.9d3f95025ca2994e7c9eddb98e5f4c2f.jpg

This was Valravn's line like 20 min after early entry

IMG_4060.thumb.jpg.1ba7018a20f14cd0c91cf2e631ceb672.jpg

This area of the park is so well done, esp with the rainbow lights at night!

IMG_4062.thumb.jpg.8467ccbfbc039e0c2af621c9237ae17a.jpg

Yep, we did Dinosaurs Alive. Was it cool? Yes. Were 90% of the dinos working that day? Nope!

IMG_4067.thumb.jpg.068359bf52aa35a8ea6cd4bea0554007.jpg

Mandatory pointing pic

IMG_4069.thumb.jpg.81ee0218465ed9d3ca9b47c318ea7e9f.jpg

This would be even better if it moved when we were there

IMG_4072.thumb.jpg.ef0d33d5f3571b997abb5a7d1aa3578d.jpg

For some reason we only rode this once all weekend. Even Fast Lane had a 45 min wait, and I would rather wait 20 min per ride on Maverick

IMG_4076.thumb.jpg.5cf454188c1cd3512406095d4cac32cc.jpg

This is my favorite of the photos I took

IMG_4078.thumb.jpg.fa2505e45b94b348d02f75bd94a3c2e7.jpg

You can only get this pic if you go see some prehistoric reptiles

IMG_4082.thumb.jpg.d3fc46759062d44760e69fc491a4a3ea.jpg

Such a rush, beautiful phallic coaster!

IMG_4090.thumb.jpg.22fed6c7c9d18c42906db7a31646822d.jpg

Such wow!

IMG_4094.thumb.jpg.381f4513eb18aea24b8327f51d395e42.jpg

Cedar Point was beautiful at sunset!

IMG_4096.thumb.jpg.c156835e454873a4a1d601c40f30dce2.jpg

Three things we didn't ride! WOO!

IMG_4102.thumb.jpg.409b04a88921454faa1011736ea9b369.jpg

Gatekeeper doing it's shwooping thing

IMG_4104.thumb.jpg.f5631a972c553bb0e1cbe54b4c835197.jpg

Bye Mean Streak!

I'm convinced that about 50% of the enthusiast community consists of cool, normal, fun people and the other half consists of people with no social skills who b*tch about everything and in many cases don't bathe regularly. Seriously... I can't even tell you how many times Brit and I were line next to an enthusiast trying not to gag. Take a damn shower.

I think you're right on here. From having been to a number of enthusiast events, and also just being at CP and seeing plenty of the "type", that seems like a pretty fair ratio, honestly.

It sounds like a lot of TPR people must have gone up just for the Holiday weekend, because I saw very few people that appeared to be enthusiasts, TPR or otherwise, last Thursday. Of course, I also saw very few people in general, and had short lines all day, so that was nice...

If you talk to random people in line, coasterbill, then you're doing better than I am. Even though I'm typically a social person, when at amusement parks, I tend to keep to my own group, and avoid interacting with those around me at all costs. Whenever I'm talking about something park, or coaster related with my group (which isn't annoying to them, because frankly, the reason people WANT to go to CP with me typically, is because I am the "Cedar Point guru" they all know), and I see somebody else nearby listening, or looking like they may want to join in, I'm just like "No! Please no!" in my head, hoping they don't. So, that probably makes me a bit of a pretentious A**, but you just never know what they're like, and whether they're one of the dreaded obnoxious enthusiasts, that will want to talk my ear off the rest of the time in line!

Having said that, I would be more than happy to talk to most anybody from this forum, if they are there, and even hang out with them. However, I am about as plain-looking of an average white guy as you'll ever meet, and I rarely post pictures of myself, so the likelihood of: a) anybody from TPR noticing me, and b) anybody from TPR actually giving a rat's behind even if they did recognize me, is extremely small! I'm certainly no TPR celebrity like you, dear bill! (Speaking of which, it would have been nice to meet you, but like ships in the night, it was not meant to be!)

Also, speaking of my trip, I need to get off my lazy butt and do a TR here soon, I suppose. I'll even include some pictures! So you all have that to look forward to. Or more than likely, not look forward to. Hey, I'm a realist! (Now, anybody remember TPOL back in the mid-2000's? I was quite popular over there, and still have many good friendships that I made from that group of actually decent - well, at least mostly - enthusiasts!) I'm all for meeting, and getting to know fellow like-minded (and cool acting, and shower taking) enthusiasts, so hopefully in the future, maybe we can have a coordinated group meetup of TPR at CP. Or hey, better yet, come up to Michigan, and slum it with me at MiA!

Maybe I'll see you guys another time!

Absolutely! We usually end up there the same weekend every year so it's a definite possibility. Great pictures by the way.

I'm certainly no TPR celebrity like you, dear bill!

Edited by coasterbill

Ah, thanks for explaining! Maybe I'll see you guys another time!

Summary TR of my weekend, I ended up visiting on Saturday from about 4:30 on, Sunday the whole day (turned out to be a 16 hour day with me arriving 8:30 for early entry and not leaving until 12:30 after Valravn ERT), and then returning on Monday for one more really long and hot wait for Maverick.

Speaking of Maverick.... ZOMG!! This weekend was my first time riding it and I am a HUGE fan! No need to say much more, my voice sounds like a 12-year-old boy today after screaming so much on Maverick as well as trying to talk over the Dragster station music (On the rooftop shout it out, baby I'm ready to go!!!).

Mean Streak... I got to say goodbye, 5 times to be exact, three in front and two in back. I actually really enjoyed it, even in the back (I found the rattling in the back to actually be a bit fun). However, after riding it twice in a row with the second ride in the back (as well as a back row ride on Magnum sans seatbelt tightening and back of Gemini right before), I found my back really aching for several hours. Later in the day as our last ride, we took a night ride on it in the front and it was really great. Idk if I can say I'll miss it, but I definitely don't hate it.

Gatekeeper was also a new ride for me and I really, really enjoyed it more than I thought! I couldn't help but laugh whenever I stared at the posts as we twirled around them, it's just a really cool, smooth, and fun ride!

After riding Valravn 5 times during Platinum ERT, I can say it is a great addition (and VERY popular!) for Cedar Point, but I still think I like Sheikra more. Maybe I'm just biased because I got paid to ride Sheikra every week with campers as well as drinking and riding it on my days off, but I do think the vests on Valravn take away from airtime on the drop a bit, and Sheikra just feels taller because it's the tallest coaster at BGT. Also, I love the dive through the tunnel and the splashdown. Valravn is definitely very fun and still a standout ride at the park, and I do love the extra elements in the latter half. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had gotten a couple more back right rides, but the fates didn't allow it. Also, Valravn crew was KILLING it during ERT, they were hitting 60 second dispatches or less and hustling the entire time, and this was at like 12:15. They let the GP finish going through before they started the passholder ERT, and they still gave us an hour to ride it. Mad respect and appreciation for them!

Here are a few pics

Nice pics... Actually I like the J.J. Abrams-esque lens flare shot of Maverick.

Hey everyone, this is my first post since I've created my account and I just wanted to share a little bit about the recent trip I took with my mom here over the weekend (my second time to Cedar Point). First off, may I say that the employees at this park are absolutely amazing! Throughout the whole day they were hauling with loading and unloading. Not only that but they were so friendly and welcoming and made my trip one hundred times better. We arrived at the park around eleven after the drive from Louisville and went to guest services to buy my fast pass (I had been saving my money up all year and knew it would come in handy - which it definitely did). I rode a couple of coasters, including Valravn, and then headed over to Millennium Force. I was unfortunately underwhelmed with my ride last time but after riding for a second time - in the very front seat - I was pleasantly surprised. The ride was very intense (I grayed out at the bottom of the drop) and just overall fun.

Next it was time to ride my favorite roller coaster of all time the one and only Maverick. My mom wanted to ride with me so I went ahead and waited in the two hour line but the ride made the time spent in line well worth it. Wow, this coaster is amazing! All that coaster riding made us hungry so we stopped in to the saloon restaurant in Frontier town and got some burritos (surprisingly very good). It was starting to get dark and I still had a lot to do so I decided to skip over my last ride on Mean Streak. After riding the rest of the roller coasters toward the front of the park I booked my way over to Maverick for - what I thought - would be my last ride of the night. The unexpected twists and turns of this ride and that main launch in the pitch black tunnel is absolute heaven. After getting off the ride I heard one of the operators say that it was 9:55 (5 minutes before the 10:00 closing) and thought that I could maybe make it over to Millennium Force. I sprinted over there, making sure to not get my hopes up to high, and when I got to the entrance they let me in (this shocked me considering that my home park is Kentucky Kingdom which closes the rides 20 - 30 minutes before closing ). I waited for the front seat and ended up being on the very last train of the night. Let me tell you that soaring through the dark Ohio sky with the wind blowing in your face at 90 mph was quite the experience.

I had an incredible time at the park like always and can't wait to return. By the way, we got to make a quick trip over to Kelly's Island on our way home and that place is absolutely beautiful! Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience and I hope you enjoyed it I can't wait to start posting more on this site that I have followed for a long while.

Edited by JPRIC01