TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

2016 they added Valravn. Also spending 23M on the sports Complex which is suppose to be complete by the end of November.

2015 they converted Mantis Coaster from strand up to floorless

2014 added Zamperala Disko, Slingshot, Fling eagle family ride

2013 added Gatekeeper and announced a 60 million over 2 year investment in the resorts

They have added a coaster and then converted and themed a coaster the next before. They seem to have plenty of money to spend and are not shy about it.

Two things, they didn't spend 23 million on the Sports Complex. I want to say 2 million was the amount they put into it, and the initial resort investment came directly from the money they got selling the water park.

Sounds like Cedar Point is getting great return on investment lately, with the additional resort upgrades.

. . .they didn't spend 23 million on the Sports Complex...

Ummmm,

"Officials broke ground on the first phase of the $23.5 million project this month, "

Umm.. I didn't say anything about the total cost, most of which Cedar Point is NOT fronting.

"As part of the project, Cedar Point bought the land at 3115 Cleveland Road for $3.5 million, formerly Griffing Sandusky Airport.

The project also received $3 million from Sports Force Park for the project ,with the remaining $17 million coming from the countywide bed tax, which is money taxed on patrons staying at hotels in Erie County."

www.portclintonnewsherald.com/story/news/local/2016/09/01/235-million-cedar-point-sports-complex-track/89720094/

Here's a question:

Cedar Point has 17 rollercoasters, 17, and so far not one is a spinning coaster.

What?

Some questions that may help. If you can answer them you I suspect you will be close to finding your answer.

Cedar Fair owns more coasters than I wish to tally. How many of them are spinners?

What is the capacity per hour of spinners?

Protein spills per hour of spinners?

Paging Coasterbill, I sent you a PM regarding your visit to CP!

Hey, sorry I never got a chance. We had passholder ERT every night so by the time we left every gift shop was long closed.

Anyway we had an awesome 3 days at the park and there will be a report eventually. Yesterday they filled the parking lot and every queue was insane (we waited 90 minutes for Rougarou) but again, we had a great time anyway. I don't mind long lines when you're constantly moving and as always, these crews were ridiculous so that was usually the case.

image.thumb.jpg.f6c25cbf90dd594bccf0d018c9077e17.jpg

Just look at this, the train in the station is clear (and therefore out of here, lol) and already moving in this pic. In the background you can see where the other train is. And honestly this wasn't even the fastest one we saw. This park has the best staff in the world, especially considering the fact that many of them between Early Entry, a grace period and sometimes ERT work 15 or 16 hour shifts every day which doesn't even give them enough time to sleep let alone do anything else.

Oh, and we got to meet JRice yesterday. Awesome dude. Hopefully we run into you at some other park down the line where you can actually take a minute to relax and enjoy yourself. Lol I don't know how you keep the energy and enthusiasm up.

Hmm maybe the Gatekeeper crew had the days off while I was there. They were by far the most lethargic during my 3 days. I still don't love that ride - some seats still have vests that squeeze the life out of me. We had 3 front row rides and two of the three on the left side suuucked.

That GateKeeper crew is insane. When I was there, I assumed they were doing a power hour, only to come back later in the day and they were still sprinting around. I actually heard someone complain that they were moving TOO fast.

The TPR Spin Team bashes all complainers and praises Cedar Fair's smart business decision.

Or

The Apocalypse.

This guy at least sees things for what they are!

I'll refrain from calling anyone a dickhead today, since I'm not 100% sure this was directed at the moderating team. We don't bash all complaints about CF we bash unreasonable complaints that are repeated constantly in a non- civil manner.

The TPR Spin Team bashes all complainers and praises Cedar Fair's smart business decision.

Or

The Apocalypse.

This guy at least sees things for what they are!

I'll refrain from calling anyone a dickhead today, since I'm not 100% sure this was directed at the moderating team. We don't bash all complaints about CF we bash unreasonable complaints that are repeated constantly in a non- civil manner.

Oh, I'm sorry... I wasn't actually thinking of any one person in particular, and certainly not the moderating team as a whole. I have just noticed a STRONG Cedar Fair apologetics vibe on this site, and not just this site, but enthusiast sites in general. I like Cedar Fair a lot, and enjoy their parks, but I certainly call out their flaws as I see them as well, and feel they are given a lot of free passes when it comes to their sometimes questionable decision making... (And I say that from a business, not enthusiast perspective.)

Again, I apologize for potentially offending anybody. I wasn't trying to be a dick, to be clear!

Actually if you think about it, anyone could (and probably would) find a flaw with just about any theme or amusement park, not just Cedar Fair or Cedar Point.

Most people think that Knoebels and Dollywood are the best parks on the planet & whilst I love me both, I'm not a fan that they don't serve beer. Will that keep me from going there? Absolutely not, but it's just one minor thing that might actually make the park even better than it already is. Would everyone agree with my opinion? Again, absolutely not!

I think it's interesting to read people's reviews of parks to hear what they like and don't like. To Larry's point, it's when people (usually fanboys) throw temper tantrums and act uncivil to the point where the mods need to step in and regulate someone's unruly actions.

Personally, I think that the mods do a great job of keeping out the self-entitled, whiney enthusiasts. They are usually pretty fair about dealing with them by giving them warnings and/or "time-out's" when they start acting over-the-top stupid. I think it's a well run fan forum, unlike most you see out there these days.

Actually if you think about it, anyone could (and probably would) find a flaw with just about any theme or amusement park, not just Cedar Fair or Cedar Point.

Most people think that Knoebels and Dollywood are the best parks on the planet & whilst I love me both, I'm not a fan that they don't serve beer. Will that keep me from going there? Absolutely not, but it's just one minor thing that might actually make the park even better than it already is. Would everyone agree with my opinion? Again, absolutely not!

I think it's interesting to read people's reviews of parks to hear what they like and don't like. To Larry's point, it's when people (usually fanboys) throw temper tantrums and act uncivil to the point where the mods need to step in and regulate someone's unruly actions.

Personally, I think that the mods do a great job of keeping out the self-entitled, whiney enthusiasts. They are usually pretty fair about dealing with them by giving them warnings and/or "time-out's" when they start acting over-the-top stupid. I think it's a well run fan forum, unlike most you see out there these days.

This. Coming from an amusement park employee and from a company, Cedar fair, that strives on great customer service, I can not, for the most part, like Hershey. The two times very been there in the last two years, I've experienced awful customer service. And also, most of their employees look Ike they absolutely hate their jobs. I've seen workers practically laying on their carts almost sleeping. Their employers at their three point challenge game were actually like they were skeletons working haunt.

Now, I will make one yearly visit because I get free admission. I love their coaster there.

Yes I know Dorney has employees like this as well, but we get yelled out for sitting or leaning. And management drills it in our head about guest service and the parks corner stones. And the parks saying, Every guest, every day, every time.

Oh, I'm sorry... I wasn't actually thinking of any one person in particular, and certainly not the moderating team as a whole. I have just noticed a STRONG Cedar Fair apologetics vibe on this site, and not just this site, but enthusiast sites in general. I like Cedar Fair a lot, and enjoy their parks, but I certainly call out their flaws as I see them as well, and feel they are given a lot of free passes when it comes to their sometimes questionable decision making... (And I say that from a business, not enthusiast perspective.)

Again, I apologize for potentially offending anybody. I wasn't trying to be a dick, to be clear!

It's cool. I just think a lot of the newer enthusiasts forget that it was only a few years ago that Cedar Fair was on the verge of being sold to investors who could have really destroyed the investment models for these parks. Those lowering performing parks that people complain about being ignored today, if the takeover had happened that parks might now be abandoned, not ignored.

Parks can not grow if they are not profitable and one thing Cedar Fair is doing well know is making money, but that doesn't mean they need to re-invested it all immediately, as they still have plenty of debt to pay down.

Dorney... Every guest, every day, every time.

I think you forgot the (if applicable) on "Every guest"

As for a spinning coaster, I think if they put a spinner with high capacity (do these exist?) and a good layout it could be a good fit, but I don't know if the park would go in that direction soon. While I don't think Pipe Scream is a coaster, it does sort of fill that void. Although it's Cedar Point, so it doesn't actually have any voids in its lineup. At this point it's just "add awesome stuff" and "make the existing stuff more awesome." (and yes that includes infrastructure, flats, pretty much any non-coaster thing that's not food. CP food is mostly not awesome)

I will say this: coaster or not, Pipe Scream has become an every visit ride for me, regardless of who I'm going to CP with! It's really fun!

I don't personally think it's a coaster but since the park counts it as a coaster I will gladly take the credit!

I too think it's a good ride!

I will say this: coaster or not, Pipe Scream has become an every visit ride for me, regardless of who I'm going to CP with! It's really fun!

I don't personally think it's a coaster but since the park counts it as a coaster I will gladly take the credit!

I too think it's a good ride!

Pipe Scream ended up being a three-in-a-row for my kid; was his favorite non-coaster ride in the park.

I've definitely softened my stance on Millennium Force. I think my disappointed reaction after my initial ride was influenced too much by me expecting it to be like 305; even though they're both gigas, they're two totally different rides and different experiences. Doing two morning rides back-to-back thanks to early entry gave me a new appreciation for it, and I gotta admit, it's just a hella fun ride from start to finish. And on top of that, the kiddo says it's his new favorite coaster! So who am I to argue.

We got the Mean Streak credit, but at the expense of him not wanting to go on any other coasters for the rest of the day. "IT WAS SOOOO BUMPY DADDY." And yes we did the front seat lean-forward. I was grabbing onto that bar for dear life, but nooo, he wanted to do hands up the whole ride...

Sorry we seemingly missed you by steps all over, Bill, but judging by the photos you were posting, it looked like you guys were having a plenty good time with Rougabrew anyway