TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Point has the same hours Friday, Saturday and Sunday since Monday is a holiday. They close earlier on Monday. They also have passholder ERT Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights (though I'm not sure if you're a passholder).

I am, and about to renew. Only one I could take advantage of there is MF, since the kiddo is just over the 48" mark, so I'm not super concerned about that -- but good to know regardless.

We'll be there all weekend.

See you at Mean Streak, then!

And damn right you will.

Not going to lie -- he's been wanting to ride MS ever since he saw the POV, since he absolutely loves wooden coasters (I think having Phoenix & Twister as his first two big boy coasters helped in that regard). Thanks to its impending permanent closure, it took a lot of wheeling and dealing with the wife on my part to be able to take him out there in advance of its shutdown. Plus I never got to ride it during my previous visit either, so that's an (arguable) added bonus for me.

I think I'm leaning more towards Sunday since it will make the drive back home on Monday a tiny bit easier, and if there's no difference in the operating hours, I'll need every little bit of sanity I can muster.

Anyone at the park today or tomorrow??

Also just wanted to add that I rode my last ever ride on MS. Did this ride get worse this year?

Last year I remember it being "boring" and "uneventful" but not deathly bumpy. I am not kidding when I say that was the worst ride I have ever had from MS. Out of all of my ridden coasters that is officially the worst I have ridden, and I have been on some bad ones. Obviously I am repeating something said a thousand times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prepare him for underwhelming: the ride, but only in the front seat. I dared the very back yesterday and I will never look at the beautiful structure again, last year was bad but this was something else.

I rode twice in the second row from the back and my ride was perfectly tolerable. My friend sat in the very back and he also enjoyed it. I didn't get the front and I will never forgive CP's rain policy for that

Also just wanted to add that I rode my last ever ride on MS. Did this ride get worse this year?

Last year I remember it being "boring" and "uneventful" but not deathly bumpy. I am not kidding when I say that was the worst ride I have ever had from MS. Out of all of my ridden coasters that is officially the worst I have ridden, and I have been on some bad ones. Obviously I am repeating something said a thousand times.

Which row did you ride in?

Front row. I have always had luck with that row. Never was great but not as horrible as that ride was. What row is now the sweet spot?

^^^Wait, they're not running Mean Streak (down a train) in the rain? Once Mantis pulled the third train it always ran in the rain. This honestly makes no sense to me.

I can already tell you which row he DIDN'T ride in.

Edited by coasterbill

^^Wait, they're not running Mean Streak (down a train) in the rain? Once Mantis pulled the third train it always ran in the rain. This honestly makes no sense to me.

I can already tell you which row he DIDN'T ride in.

Hahaha. Truth.

Edit. Did one more ride and rode in the second to last car and that ride was what I do remember it to be. It was tolerable. Guess the front has gotten worse over the years.

The front row is the sweet spot but you need to lean forward with your back off the seat back. That's always been the case, though it's still better in the front of any car even if you don't do that last part.

Will have to try it one last time. Unless the green train just sucks. I have never been shaken or Bounced around so much on a roller coaster other then that time.

I've always felt (get it, felt!) that the Yellow train provided the worst ride, myself! Of course, I love green, and hate yellow, so that may have something to do with it!

Noooo that has nothing to do with it. Lol.

When I was at CP in July I didn't think MS was bad at all! What I couldn't stand was Blie Streak! I came off of that with a huge headache. And I was riding MS in the middle too, so not even the front row. It wasn't good, but at least I didn't come off with a headache.

It's entirely possible to have a rougher ride on Blue Streak than Mean Streak depending on where you ride each coaster. I like Blue Streak, and it's a better ride than Mean Streak is for sure but if you ride that thing in a wheel seat it can beat you up a little. Ride Blue Streak in the middle row of any car.

I rode Mean Streak in both the back and the front and found the front more enjoyable. I was surprised that I didn't find the ride to be that rough though. It was far from smooth obviously, but I've ridden much, much worse. I do agree that Blue Streak was also rough, and I even found Rougarou's second half to have rough, headbangy spots (although not quite on par with the current state of Scream and Riddler at SFMM but heading in that direction). I find Apocalypse at SFMM to be way more jackhammery than Mean Streak (which, I hear, has also shut down now for an overhaul) and several of the rides at Kings Island were at least as rough too (Beast, Racer, Vortex, Flight of Fear). Mean Streak's design was a bit of a wasted opportunity but it wasn't the absolute nightmare I'd expected it to be. Two rides was enough for me though.

Interesting note. I was at the fontina trail brewery (can't remember the name) anyways under the list for "cedar point brews" there is a brew called "Iron Horse". As far as I know there is nothing called that in the park (speaking for halloweekends). Is this a clue for Mean Streak conversion? Being that every beer on that list is named after something in the park, except that one.

Interesting note. I was at the fontina trail brewery (can't remember the name) anyways under the list for "cedar point brews" there is a brew called "Iron Horse". As far as I know there is nothing called that in the park (speaking for halloweekends). Is this a clue for Mean Streak conversion? Being that every beer on that list is named after something in the park, except that one.

If this is a teaser, it's my favorite teaser. At the very least it can be used to drown enthusiast's sorrows until the fate of Mean Streak gets sorted out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just to show you the proof. Does anyone know wen this brew came out?

Now I need a beer, the next 2 hours are going to drag by.

Why can't there be an "Uber" for beer?

I have a dream that one day coasterbill won't have to repeat himself on where to sit on Mean Streak

^^^Wait, they're not running Mean Streak (down a train) in the rain? Once Mantis pulled the third train it always ran in the rain. This honestly makes no sense to me.

To be fair to Cedar Point, it was raining kind of hard. What makes it worse is that I let someone go ahead of me.

Count me among those who are hoping Mean Streak gets an RMC makeover. I rode it last year. And count me in as one of those few who didn't find it overly rough. And actually enjoyed it though, but found it to be my least favorite of almost any wooden roller coaster I've ridden. It didn't seem to go 65MPH and the big hills looked good from the distance, but disappointed with little air time.

As for Blue Streak, we saw it was 50 years old, only 70' tall and went no faster than 40 MPH. So we basically deemed it a kid's ride and moved it to the end of the priority list. But since we got to cover all the other coasters that day, we ended up giving it a try. Were we ever surprised! It was much rougher and felt much faster than we had anticipated at 40MPH. It also had a surprising amount of air time. We laughed hysterically toward the end of the ride, and we learned why Cedar Point still has it. It was easily one of our favorites. Than in less than a month, I turned around and rode Pegasus at Mt. Olympus. It's specs were similar to Blue Streak and it's roughness matched, with more lateral banging. Blue Streak was, by far, the better ride of the 2. Pegasus lacked airtime and felt a little more sluggish.

We were able to cover 14 coasters during that visit, deliberately skipping Woodstock Express and Wilderness Run, which we dismissed as junior coasters. Though I would not be opposed to riding those someday if I can, just to say I've done them. I know of adults who like the Big Dipper at Six Flags Great America, and that is like Woodstock Express.

The roughest coasters I've ridden thus far are the Boss at Six Flags St. Louis and Zuess at Mt. Olympus theme park. They can be a little painful if you don't know how to ride them, but I can tolerate the roughness. I'm one of the few who loves the Boss, which I rank right up there with the Beast at KI. I didn't find Mean Streak to be quite as rough as any those.