TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well, that page makes it seem like that's all there is. I was kind of expecting another wave pool since a lot of the other parks have two. I mean this is Cedar Point...Shouldn't they have two?

Other parks aren't sitting on the fricking Great Lakes either. That's their other "wave pool."

Has phase two of Sports Force Parks been announced prior to today? That looks interesting. A nice new metroparks area with bike trails. Better yet, I can still play mini-golf at Sports Force Park!

I think all of these decisions are great. CP is focusing more on becoming a resort destination.

Honestly I wouldn't even be mad if CP just did a complete overhaul to park experience and make everything that already exists grander. Whether it be from fixing the arcade to cleaning up the bathrooms to enhancing work experience for employees. I love CP and it is an amazing place, but I don't feel that everything has come together. Sometimes were are so hungry for a big new attraction that we forget about the things that we complain about when we are at the park.

Question: How much land does CP own outside of the peninsula?

They own most of, if not all of the warehouses on the left of the dorms when approaching the causeway, the entire dorm area as well as some of the housing on the right side. Additionally they own the entire sandusky airfield site which is under construction for the sports complex.

This looks ok. I've never done a trap door slide so I might have to check it out for that reason, however, riding skyscraper was one of my favorite things to do when I'd visit the park. We'd go have lunch at Fridays, get tipsy, then ride Skyscraper. It was our ritual lol. I was sad to see it go.

In other news, CP's instagram is full of butt hurt CP fanboys complaining that it's not an RMC... It's actually quite funny to read.

Has it even been confirmed that Mean Streak is getting demolished specifically to make way for this new Water Park?

Because I for one would have been very surprised if CP really did do that rumored RMC transformation of Mean Streak in 2017 so soon after Valravn this year. It's not like anyone's really gonna miss Mean Streak regardless, and it makes sense for them to go this way with the plans as well - because they can take a semi-breather this coming year and focus on expanding the water park instead, then use any leftover cleared land for a completely new coaster in 2018 or 2019.

I think it's about time CP got a high-quality "traditional" woodie (i.e not an I-Box RMC).

So has Cedar Point made any kind of announcement of anything else happening or is this it? I mean, I understand it's a lot, with two hotel renovations, a Sports Park and Water Park Expansion...But just curious if this is it for the water park and Mean Streak. I imagine if there is anything else, it'll be for 2018.

Isn't there another announcement tonight? (For all the RMC believers there is still some hope.)

I'm not sure, but they are making it sound like something else is coming.

Edit: it also doesn't seem like CF has made many big investments. There's only been one brand new coaster.

Edited by MidwestThemeParks

Isn't there another announcement tonight? (For all the RMC believers there is still some hope.)

I highly doubt it. There's already tons of capital going into the park with the current announcements (Hotel Renovation, Adding on to another hotel, Water Park stuff, Sports Force park).

I think it's about time CP got a high-quality "traditional" woodie (i.e not an I-Box RMC).
This is what I really hope happens to Mean Streak: a wood coaster in its place so perhaps the world's premier coaster park has a more impressive wood coaster than Blue Streak. I'd like to see an I-box-style conversion but with topper track, but any big wood coaster in its place would be great. It has to be smooth, though. They can't tear down Mean Streak and replace it with something that also will be rough. I'd also be upset if the replacement is a modest wood coaster. Mystic Timbers looks like fun, but a small GCI like that shouldn't be the replacement for Mean Streak. If, on the other hand, Intamin comes in a takes the El Toro layout to the hyper scale...

(Or I guess what I mean is that I want RMC Mean Streak and Intamin prefab hyper for the 150th anniversary.)

Alright so if the renderings are to be believed the kiddy play area is replacing that crappy one that currently has lake water in it, and the new slide complex is replacing the swim up bar (which is complete bull***, lol). I imagine the "new poolside bar, new family changing/showering areas, more lounge chairs, additional shade, improved landscaping and unobstructed views of Lake Erie." will be off to the side of the slide / old swim up bar where there are already unobstructed views of Lake Erie.

This is a nice addition. I'm still expecting a larger, Carolina Harbor style waterpark upgrade but maybe they'll do it over time rather than all at once, or maybe they first wanted to upgrade the things in the existing waterpark that needed work before expanding on to new areas. Either option makes sense to me.

Please don't scare me like that.

I'm not sure, but they are making it sound like something else is coming.

Edit: it also doesn't seem like CF has made many big investments. There's only been one brand new coaster.

Very likely that a second coaster is going to you-know-where. Now not to be rude, but before you get angry and try to disprove me, there is a formal announcement going on Saturday, so it's pretty clear.

Cedar Fair looks to be really focusing on the resort and accommodations aspect of the Cedar Point property. Recent capital such as the Breakers renovation followed by an expansion along with a renovation and expansion of the former Breakers Express are the easy indicators. Overhauling and re-branding Soak City to Cedar Point Shores is really pushing the added value to longer multi-day stays at the resort. Combine that with the Cedar Point Sports Center, and Cedar Fair is building quite the empire in Ohio. Makes a bunch of sense to get more people to stay longer and travel from longer distances considering the stagnant markets of Ohio and Michigan. While I love a great coaster over a water park, my single day ticket isn't driving the next capital expenditure as much as the family who is visiting the resort and staying on property for multiple days. A new roller coaster isn't always going to tip the scale of accommodations as much as a new full-day experience to be had.

As for that RMC Mean Streak, I guess it is still possible for 2017. I would love to see it happen ASAP. But then again, Cedar Fair seems pretty content letting Hurler sit idle over at Kings Dominion. Perhaps RMC is on the radar in 2018 and beyond, and the Cedar Fair decided to temporarily mothball these rides instead of committing financially to the high amount of upkeep that at best delivers mediocre ridership?