TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^^ I don't even know what you are trying to prove here? What I get out of your post is that you are whining about Soak City not being included with the park admission just because Canada's Wonderland's water park is?

If Cedar Point was not making decent profits by keeping Soak City an upcharge attraction, they wouldn't be doing it - it's that simple.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Why do you people do this to yourselves? At this point if you're riding Mean Streak in any row but row one leaning forward you deserve all of the pain and suffering the ride can deliver.

And I know you guys never specified where you sat but I already know you weren't in row 1.

Not sure if this was referring to my post, but I've been riding Mean Steak that way since the 90's, so you don't need to tell me that! As for my friends, I just explained that way of riding it to them, yesterday... Not that it really matters now!

I purchased my pre-season sale pass about mid September last year right after they went on sale. I'd imagine it will be the same again.

Does anyone know when the cutoff for season passes being for this year or for next year? I seem to remember when I went on the weekend after Labor Day and got platinum passes they were for the following year, we are going the same weekend this year also. We are still not sure whether we are going to just buy admission that weekend or a pass. I wish there was a Cedar Point pass that included parking, we don't foresee visiting any other Cedar Fair parks next year so a platinum pass really isn't worth it.

On Monday the 8th, it was unusually crowded. I hear that even the Fast Passes were sold out.

^ Friday should be pretty good. Saturday will be very crowded but in a full day you should be able to get on everything. Sunday will be a zoo. Avoid it like the plague. Monday will be dead. Not sure what days you're planning on going though.

On Monday the 8th, it was unusually crowded. I hear that even the Fast Passes were sold out.

^ Friday should be pretty good. Saturday will be very crowded but in a full day you should be able to get on everything. Sunday will be a zoo. Avoid it like the plague. Monday will be dead. Not sure what days you're planning on going though.

Last year the longest I waited for anything was a half hour for maverick. Just my experience.

I highly doubt Mean Streak is getting the Iron Horse treatment. Cedar Fair will NEVER work with that company, and they shouldn't, as they butcher classic woodies into mediocre rides. Sorry, but it's a common opinion among many coaster lovers.

Mean Streak is getting a retracting and that's it. Enjoy your wooden coaster next to Maverick.

Wooden coasters aren't nearly as popular as they used to be. From what I have experienced, younger people would much rather have a smooth B&M or Intamin coaster over a 25+ year old woodie and parks are realizing this (How many more steel coasters than wooden coasters have been built in the last few years?). I would think that there are more people in this world that would ride Storm Chaser or Twisted Colossus over Mean Streak (I've never ridden them, I'm just basing this off of reviews that I have heard). I don't think RMC has ever built a mediocre ride.

The biggest complaint I've ever heard about an RMC product is that they're shorter than they used to be. From what I've heard about Rattler-->Iron Rattler, it was a blessing--especially considering that triple helix. Note I said RMC product. The NTAG incident was a Gerstlauer train.

I just read someone imply that wooden coasters should be forceless, uneventful, rough pieces of crap so I'm out.

In all seriousness, your opinion is so wildly out there that most will mistake you for a troll. Please provide some reasoning or explanation instead of just saying it "should be different" or how RMC coasters are "toned down" because I don't see a valid explanation for either, especially the latter.

I understand being entitled to an opinion, but my god you've got an unpopular one. I'm probably taking a troll bait by just writing all of this out, but anyway, I don't know how you can think Raptor and Rougarou are rough. Sure they've got their couple of jerks, but outside of that, not at all. I'd really hate to see what you think of an SLC

But really though, what is a good ride for you? Because all the rides you've listed as meh-bad would crack lots of people's top 10, including mine.

. . . I don't know how you can think Raptor and Rougarou are rough. . .

For YEARS I actually HATED Raptor, and after our visit to Cedar Point last year both my partner and I HATED Rougarou.

Before last season, my previous last ride on Raptor had been in 2010, and I thought it was one of the most rough, uncomfortable coasters I had ever been on. Well, last year I gave in and rode it so my partner could get the credit. . . And to my surprise I got off of the ride LOVING it!! Wanting to ride it again. I had never been on an inverted coaster that was so intense it made my legs get all tingly. It was amazing. It was the polar opposite from what I had experienced before. I can only imagine that on my first ride I rode the coaster when it had a "bad wheel." I know that coaster wheels go bad and that can cause for a rougher ride. It's not highly un-common for some coaster wheels on trains to be replaced at least once (Some times more) every season. So, I'm going to assume my first time was with a bad wheel, and it made me hate it, and my most recent rides were in a normal train (without a bad wheel) Which made me fall in love with the coaster.

The same thing goes fro Rougarou. Last season we rode it and both my partner and I HATED it. Never wanted to ride it again. Well this year, we had a friend with us, so we rode it so she could get the credit, and both of us got off the ride and said "WOW!! That was not nearly as bad as last year" and we both wanted to go again. It's now one of my favorite floorless coasters.

I know that no 2 rides on a coaster will ever be the same. Sometimes it is warmer, and it runs differently. Sometimes it is colder, and runs differently, sometimes there are bad wheels, and it runs differently. . . So now I will ride a coaster several times during 2 different season to figure out how I think it runs to me and that determines if I will ride it again, or if I think it is rough. (Just trying to shed some light here!)

I'm trying to figure out logic here - you really can't compare the two parks.

Raptor > Batman

Rougarou > Scream

Magnum < Goliath

Iron Dragon < Ninja

Top Thrill Dragster > Superman

Cedar Creek Mine Ride = Goldrusher

Maverick > YOLO Coaster

Those are really the only coasters that are comparable.

Cedar Point coasters without comparable coasters

Blue Streak

GateKeeper

Wicked Twister

Millennium Force

Gemini

Corkscrew

Mean Streak

SFMM coasters without comparable coasters

X2

Viper

Revolution

Tatsu

Appocalypse

Riddler' Revenge

Green Lantern

Twisted Colossus

This seems like a good time to leave my input in this thread. I went to CP July 18th and 19th for the first time since 2013. SFMM is my home park and I wanted to wait until I visited there again to write my reviews and comparisons. I finally just got ever there yesterday and rode all the major coasters. And wow, all I can say is that CP is much better by a landslide.

Maverick- well this was my #1 when I rode it in 2013, but now with the newer soft restraints it's even better! Love love LOVE this ride!! Nothing really compares to this. The second day we were there it had an hour long queue and we rode it once and then hopped back in for another hour wait to go again! Even better during the sunset and at night. 10/10 nothing at SFMM remote compares to this. So intense and forceful! Tight turns are a plus.

TTD: All rows are amazing, but the front... wow. You don't get acceleration or really any forces like that at Magic Mountain. Superman is the closest and it's not even near. Full Throttle doesn't even feel like a launch too much, it just feels like it just goes (still love that ride though). Row 2-10 8.5/10 front 10/10

MF: well that beat the crap out of Goliath by the end of the first drop. I like the airtime on this and how it keeps its speed throughout. Intense too. Not the best coaster in the world but still super fun! 8.5/10

GateKeeper: Great ride!! It's just so graceful. I feel like the long drawn out elements just make you really feel like you're flying. I kinda like how it's not very forceful, you feel like you're gliding like a bird! Underrated coaster, just wish it had a better ending. X2 is better than this, but not by much. 8.5/10

Valravn: Another great ride!! This and Gatekeeper are better than Tatsu in my opinion. Great drop and I love the giant track and the inversions on this feel pretty sweet as well. That 270° roll is one of my favorite elements on any coaster. Just wish it was a little bit longer. 9/10

Raptor: wow, I really didn't enjoy this. One ride and done. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but it just didn't do anything for me. Probably equal with Batman: The Ride. I might even like Batman a little better. But inverts don't really do much for me, probably my least favorite coaster type. 6/10

Rough-arou: I rode this as Mantis and didn't think it was that bad, but Riddler's Revenge was much better. Then I rode it as Rougarou and I thought it was kinda pointless and boring but also got one or two pretty bad headbangs near the end. Not terrible but not great either. Scream is definitely much better. 5.5/10

Blue Streak: That wasn't very fun... or memorable. Worse than Mean Streak in my opinion. But not too bad either. 5/10

Mean Streak: Not a common opinion, but better than Blue Streak. And I wasn't even riding in the front. Apocalypse is much superior to both of these, but both of these are much much superior to Psyclone. 5.2/10

Wicked Twister: That was a really fun impulse coaster! Definitely better on the ends, and not really similar to anything at SFMM. Nice little change that's super fun! 7.5/10

Iron Dragon: Fun ride, and its VR absolutely murdered the VR on Revolution and it actually enhances the ride experience. I wasn't disappointed. Ninja is better, but still a very solid suspended coaster! 7/10 no VR, 8/10 with VR

Magnum XL-200: REALLY like the airtime on this! Fun, fast, little jerky, classic coaster! Often has a short line which is a plus. Better than anything comparable at Magic Mountain (Goliath?? Hmm) and just a bit better than MF in my opinion. 8.5/10

Gemini: This was okay. One ride and done though. Racing was cool I guess.. nothing really bad about this but it was a little rough? Magic Mountain'a hybrid coaster definitely beats this one ;). 6/10

Cedar Creek Mine Ride: That was pretty fun! Probably on par with Goldrusher. Liked how parts were over water too. 6.5/10

(YES, I liked this more than I liked Rougarou)

Corkscrew: WTF was that??? Pretty sure that airtime hill was trying to kill me. This had a solid 10-15 minute wait the second day we were at CP. Why do people want to ride this??? Revolution with OTSRs is better, but without OTSRs is like a million times better than this. 1/10?

Power Tower: Good towers! I prefer S&S Drops to Intamin towers like Lex Luthor, but Lex definitely beats the shot side.

Drop: 7.5/10. Shot 4/10

MaxAir: Great flat!!! With SFMM actually had some flats. One of my favorites! 8.5/10

SkyHawk: missed this on my first visit (it's kinda hidden off the main path) but made sure to ride this time. WOW I really had missed out!! My favorite flat in the park by FAR!! Just so much fun! It's like my entire childhood on steroids. Love the air and hangtime. Very strange feeling! Just wish the ride cycle was longer!! I need one of these for my backyard. 10/10

Witches Wheel: missed this last time as well. I love how free you are when you invert. Such a weird weightless feeling. 8.5/10

Didn't ride any water rides, but they seemed much superior to Six Flags Magic Mountain's... at least they soak you a lot more.

There's my review:

Well CP definitely wins in the Flats department. But for the coasters, I'd say they definitely have better world-class coasters. The top of CP's line up absolutely murders the top of Magic Mountain's. But I'd say Magic Mountain's mid size and family coasters like Goldrusher and Ninja. Also, SFMM has a better floorless coaster if that counts for anything.

But for me the standouts here were: Maverick, Gatekeeper, Valravn, Magnum, and the flats.

And these are all better imo than SFMM's standouts: X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle, and TC (okay, TC might be better than all of those but Maverick, but still.)

Well, there you go!

Edited by SFMMGeek27

^I agree with virtually everything you said (except for liking Mean Streak more than Blue Streak), and am glad to see somebody else mention the airtime on MF in a context other than saying it has none! Yes, it doesn't have a ton, but it does have a couple of good floater airtime moments, and one really good ejector moment. Couple that with its intensity and speed, and it's one of the best coasters in the world (another area we disagree slightly in, as you have it rated lower than I would.)

Glad you enjoyed your visit, and thank for the lengthy TR!

(P.S. I also appreciated the more subdued review of Raptor, which along with the Batmen, I feel is often overrated by enthusiasts.)

^I agree with virtually everything you said (except for liking Mean Streak more than Blue Streak), and am glad to see somebody else mention the airtime on MF in a context other than saying it has none! Yes, it doesn't have a ton, but it does have a couple of good floater airtime moments, and one really good ejector moment. Couple that with its intensity and speed, and it's one of the best coasters in the world (another area we disagree slightly in, as you have it rated lower than I would.)

Glad you enjoyed your visit, and thank for the lengthy TR!

(P.S. I also appreciated the more subdued review of Raptor, which along with the Batmen, I feel is often overrated by enthusiasts.)

Yes, I forgot to mention MF's intensity! Both times I rode it this trip, I greyed out in the first overbank after the first drop. That may bring it up to an 8.5. And yes, there's definitely some good ejector on MF. Compared to Goliath, which maybe maybe on a good day in the very back you might get a tiny tiny ounce of floater. But if you get through the hill asking yourself if you got airtime or not, you probably didn't get very much.

Yes, I forgot to mention MF's intensity...there's definitely some good ejector on MF.

I will never fully comprehend the claims of ejector on Millennium. I think it's a great ride in a fantastic location and it keeps its speed like a champ, but I've never experienced anything beyond pathetically anemic floater while riding it.

Also, MM has some great coasters with good variety but I do think the coaster quality level is higher at CP overall. To compare the full experience at each park, CP comes ahead by a long shot.

I will never fully comprehend the claims of ejector on Millennium. I think it's a great ride in a fantastic location and it keeps its speed like a champ, but I've never experienced anything beyond pathetically anemic floater while riding it.

I do every time I ride it! Do you ride it in the back few rows? If you, you should a nice jolt of ejector air going over that hump next to the queue. Seriously. Maybe if you're still not getting air, you're getting stapled every ride or something, but I'm out of my seat every time there...

I go to Cedar Point multiple times a year every year since 2007. I've worked at the park prior to that and been riding MF with regularity since 2001. There has never been nor will be ejector airtime on Millennium Force. The closest to it is the final small hill by the station. That doesn't mean there isn't airtime. In fact, I'd controversially state that I prefer the non-ejector air of Millennium Force and the unchanged train/belt combo that exists there to the present day ejector airtime of any of the Superman rides at DL, SFA, or SFNE with the new U-Bar/ankle restraint combos.

I go to Cedar Point multiple times a year every year since 2007. I've worked at the park prior to that and been riding MF with regularity since 2001. There has never been nor will be ejector airtime on Millennium Force. The closest to it is the final small hill by the station. That doesn't mean there isn't airtime. In fact, I'd controversially state that I prefer the non-ejector air of Millennium Force and the unchanged train/belt combo that exists there to the present day ejector airtime of any of the Superman rides at DL, SFA, or SFNE with the new U-Bar/ankle restraint combos.

THISTHISTHIS

Millennium Force is a great coaster. Not because of intensity or ejector airtime, but because it's a great coaster overall for reasons mentioned previously.

My family and I are heading to Cedar Point after tomorrow. It will be our second time there, our first was 4 years ago. We will have the full day +1 hour before 10AM because of their hotel tickets combo thing. My question to all those who know Cedar Point like the back of their hand, is which of the rides should we take on during that 1 hour early (9-10AM). I know not all the rides are open during this hour, oh, and one more super important note, we will all have the fast lane plus.

Speaking of which, I remember 4 years back we had our fast lanes went through the fast lane lineup on Millennium Force, just to be turned down at the station when they said Fast Lane does is not open during the 1 hour early time. I wonder if this is still their policy.

Would be really great to get any advice on the park to get the most out of it, thanks!

I always get ejector on the hill rift after the first tunnel and on the pop right next to the station. It's pretty weak ejector, butejector nonetheless.

Go on Goliath and feel its floater hill and then go back to MF and you'll feel the ejector.

Goliath at SFOG has stronger airtime than MF. It isn't even close for me. Heck, MF if you ride it when cold can sometimes have practically none over the two hills entering/exiting the island. Goliath? Goliath is *strong* always.

^I think he meant SFMM Goliath. For me, MF has nice floaty air, the last hill by the station is probably it's most forceful but even then its not that strong. I always look for great air on Mavericks first drop and first hill as well as the end of Magnum. Other than those the only ejector moments I've ever felt were Skyrush, Phoenix (I don't think my butt was ever actually in the seat that ride), Storm Chaser, and Lightning Run.

I agree with this. Temperature makes a big difference with Millennium Force and it delivers some nice airtime especially on hot days but it's never anything I'd consider "ejector".