TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I imagine Sandcastle folks would still want a shuttle, and that place is not all that big. Still a lot of staff.

Don't get me wrong I would love it. Park in the back of the lot and a nice setup for Maverick/"RMC Streak" ERT, but that's all I see it good for.

Now if additional hotel expansion is in the 5 year plan for that area I would be more inclined to agree.

Due to getting a puppy this year my coaster riding has fallen off greatly. But we will be going out to cedar point this year and are going the magical weekend between Labor Day and halloweekends (sept 10-11). I was wondering if anyone here has used the "pet check" at CP and how your experience was with it. Do you just show up there an hour before the park opens? How were the facilities? Does it fill up quickly or should I be confident that he will have a spot if we show up early? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I meant to go check it out myself when I was there in July but forgot. Can you take some pictures of the inside and post them for those of us who would be interested in using pet check in the future?

Will do!

In addition to this, which I think is very valid, by the way, I still maintain that there will be added infrastructure around the ride. Whether that includes an extension of the Gemini Midway and a new back entrance or not (and I personally think it will), I definitely think there will be additional things back in the Mean Streak area besides just the coaster!

I am interested in this new gate and why you think it is needed. Who will use it other than the cabin and RV folks? A gate would require at minimum 3 staff entrance, exit and ticketing and sometimes security. That is a lot of staff for relatively few guests.

My suspicion, is that the Soak City expansion will extend right up to the current "back entrance" if the park, and become a dedicated Soak City/CP entrance. As such, there will need to be another entrance for resort guests who do not wish to traipse through Soak City (or can't, because it's a separate ticket). Additionally, the addition of a massive new RMC back there is sure to become a big draw to the back if the park, and this would allow for easier access for those wishing to go there first. The current back entrance is small, out of the way, and inadequate for the amount of people that would now be coming through there. Add in the fact that both of the last major coaster additions resulted in new gates, and an enlivening of that area around them, and this notion of mine becomes very plausible, and extremely logical. This will also serve to balance out the crowds in the park, so it's not so front-heavy early in the day. We'll see soon enough if I'm right or wrong, but this has been my thought on the future for this area for a while now!

In addition to this, which I think is very valid, by the way, I still maintain that there will be added infrastructure around the ride. Whether that includes an extension of the Gemini Midway and a new back entrance or not (and I personally think it will), I definitely think there will be additional things back in the Mean Streak area besides just the coaster!

I am interested in this new gate and why you think it is needed. Who will use it other than the cabin and RV folks? A gate would require at minimum 3 staff entrance, exit and ticketing and sometimes security. That is a lot of staff for relatively few guests.

As a replacement for the current entrance, I definitely see the possibility. If/when Breakers sees an expansion (like on top of the current mini golf area), I don't think having those additional people, Lighthouse Point, Sandcastle, and the Campers all go to Beach entrance as being a viable solution.

first ride was Magnum. It was OK

Gatekeeper. We rode it twice, once on each side. Loved it.

This person gets it!!!

Glad you had such a good time, and thanks for the TR!

You are welcome for the TR and I guess you somewhat agree with my assessments?? You may have missed that I did find Magnum to be a much better ride later in the evening. It doesn't really make my top 5 or 10 but it was one of the better ones in the park because it didn't beat me up.

Now I admit it's been a while since I've been to 6FMM (back in 2013) but I do think I enjoyed X2 more than Gatekeeper here but they were both great rides. As I think I mentioned, my top list overall includes Apollo's Chariot and Griffon at BGW, Kinga Ka and El Toro at 6FGA, Cheetah Hunt at BGT and X2. We also love I305 at KD and Banshee at KI but I do think we need to return to KI with the kids in the future to try the coasters there again. We did ride Beast but only once and I think we need to give it another chance. We had only one day there when we went so were getting through as many rides as we could in that one day.

I did like the unique aspects of BGT new Cobra's Curse though, but it's not worth the long wait right now.

I also must say we did get great airtime on Blue Streak and I would have loved to do that one again but we didn't get time. For a wooden coaster it didn't beat me up too bad. I wish I had enjoyed Maverick more but honestly even in the front the twists really whipped me back and forth too much for my liking. Millenium Force we could have done a few more times.

We also need to get back to Carowinds now that the kids can do more coasters. We haven't done any of the big ones there yet.

I'm curious, you rated Kingda Ka very highly but didn't ride Dragster? Was this by choice, or were you there after the cable break?

The 10-8 closings are insanely slow. They're usually a "Michigan Days" promotion because Michigan residents are still out of school, so the only reason they stay open is to appeal to those people and target them with deep discounts for Michigan residents and targeted ads in eastern Michigan.

I haven't seen anything about that yet this year but that's been the promotion in years past. The park is very slow. You're in for a treat.

That is awesome news. Thank you! I can't wait. I didn't think I would make it to the park this year but just decided to take a quick trip out there for a couple days.

I'll be going during that time, on September 1st. It's a Thursday, so it should be really nice! It's a little close to the extended Labor Day weekend, but I think that day shouldn't be too bad due to that. Seriously, it's a great time to go, so you should have a great day!

Friday picks up a bit but Thursday is slow. We'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday this year and may or may not pop in for Early Entry on Monday.

The 10-8 closings are insanely slow. They're usually a "Michigan Days" promotion because Michigan residents are still out of school, so the only reason they stay open is to appeal to those people and target them with deep discounts for Michigan residents and targeted ads in eastern Michigan.

I haven't seen anything about that yet this year but that's been the promotion in years past. The park is very slow. You're in for a treat.

That is awesome news. Thank you! I can't wait. I didn't think I would make it to the park this year but just decided to take a quick trip out there for a couple days.

I'll be going during that time, on September 1st. It's a Thursday, so it should be really nice! It's a little close to the extended Labor Day weekend, but I think that day shouldn't be too bad due to that. Seriously, it's a great time to go, so you should have a great day!

Friday picks up a bit but Thursday is slow. We'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday this year and may or may not pop in for Early Entry on Monday.

Bummer! I'll miss you by a day! However, I figured Friday would be busier than Thursday, and you know me! Mr. "No Fast Lane ever"! Have fun paying tribute to your beloved Mean Streak! I know I'm going to get a few final laps in myself in on Thursday!

I've been debating about what to do for Labor Day weekend and Cedar Point was an option. I don't think I'll be able to afford Fast Lane and I kinda thought Cedar Point would be a nightmare that weekend. It's encouraging that other people are still going, but are all you guys getting Fast Lane?

Has anybody bough a "Coaster Combo" ticket? According to Cedar Point's website, it allows you to visit Cedar Point and Kings Island one time on any day when the parks are open in the year you buy it. If you've ever bought it, is it a good deal?

If you don't have a platinum pass and planned on visiting both parks for one day, then yeah. You don't have to visit using this ticket to know if it's a good deal, it's cheaper than buying two day tickets so yes, it is a good deal.

Does anyone know when the cutoff for season passes being for this year or for next year? I seem to remember when I went on the weekend after Labor Day and got platinum passes they were for the following year, we are going the same weekend this year also. We are still not sure whether we are going to just buy admission that weekend or a pass. I wish there was a Cedar Point pass that included parking, we don't foresee visiting any other Cedar Fair parks next year so a platinum pass really isn't worth it.

I'm going to assume that it's because of the sheer size of the project? Texas Giant was/is roughly the same size as Mean Streak. It closed in November of 2009, and reopened April of 2011. . . So if Mean Streak is getting the same RMC treatment, and it is closing in September of 2016, and reopens in 2018 that's a pretty similar time line. (Maybe a bit longer because they are factoring in the "harsh" winters that can cause delays with the construction.)

If anything by comparing the timelines, it make it seem even more likely that Mean Streak will be getting an RMC Makeover!

At that time RMC had a VERY small workshop to manufacture the track pieces. They could only build one, maybe two pieces at a time. Since then they have moved into a new, much bigger facility and have hired a lot more staff to make many more track pieces at a time. If Cedar Point is waiting to do an RMC conversion until 2018, I think it's more likely that the park just wants a nice large buffer zone of time to work out any kinks in the project and have the ride ready for opening day.

And now RMC works several of their own projects, combined with the track manufacturing for the S&S 4D Free Spins. Also, Mean Streak would be their biggest project since Iron Rattler. Depending on how long the conversion takes, the manufacturing, installation, and testing can be spaced out a little more to give RMC a little breathing room with how many projects they have for 2017 and 2018 combined.

I was at a gathering of random friends tonight, and somebody asked me what I thought of Mean Streak closing (since he knew I am a "Coaster Enthusiast." The funny thing is, everybody else in the room chimed in regarding their hate for how terrible and rough that ride is! Again, whenever somebody tries to say it's just whiny enthusiasts who don't like it, I shake my head, because my experience is that the opposite is actually. I can't find any non-enthusiasts that I know who actually do like it! I know more people who liked Mantis, than Mean Streak, for crying out loud! Suffice it to say, it's time has come to go, and make way for a glorious new erection!

I'm going to assume that it's because of the sheer size of the project? Texas Giant was/is roughly the same size as Mean Streak. It closed in November of 2009, and reopened April of 2011. . . So if Mean Streak is getting the same RMC treatment, and it is closing in September of 2016, and reopens in 2018 that's a pretty similar time line. (Maybe a bit longer because they are factoring in the "harsh" winters that can cause delays with the construction.)

If anything by comparing the timelines, it make it seem even more likely that Mean Streak will be getting an RMC Makeover!

At that time RMC had a VERY small workshop to manufacture the track pieces. They could only build one, maybe two pieces at a time. Since then they have moved into a new, much bigger facility and have hired a lot more staff to make many more track pieces at a time. If Cedar Point is waiting to do an RMC conversion until 2018, I think it's more likely that the park just wants a nice large buffer zone of time to work out any kinks in the project and have the ride ready for opening day.

And now RMC works several of their own projects, combined with the track manufacturing for the S&S 4D Free Spins. Also, Mean Streak would be their biggest project since Iron Rattler. Depending on how long the conversion takes, the manufacturing, installation, and testing can be spaced out a little more to give RMC a little breathing room with how many projects they have for 2017 and 2018 combined.

I think:

2017: Water Park Expansion. I hope it is a water coaster. It probably will some slides.

2018: Mean(er) Streak(er)... lol. I know Cedar Point is the crown jewel of the company, but adding Valravn and a RMC conversion back to back just seems like bad business. Also the Cedar Point hype machine will really do a good job with a whole year to hype the new roller coaster. Finally, Cedar Point can utilize the extra time to make sure the ride is really ready, and not another Lightening Rod.

2019-21 Celebrating the 150th in 2020.

It is hard to tell what the park is doing. Cedar Point is infamous for being tight on space, however they are freeing up alot of spots for expansions.

Finally, Cedar Point can utilize the extra time to make sure the ride is really ready, and not another Lightening Rod.

I doubt it would be another Lightning Rod considering Mean Streak will probably be just another Iron Horse which I'm sure RMC can do in their sleep at this point.

But yesterday it was disgustingly rough that all of my friends said it is the worst coaster they have ever been on!

Well they're not wrong. IMO it probably is one of the worst coasters currently operating. As far as worst coasters ever, I think Magic Mountain might take the cake with both Flashback, and Psyclone. I was a young spry kid when I rode these and even then I was like WTF? How are these rides even allowed to be open?

Suffice it to say, it's time has come to go, and make way for a glorious new erection!

Did you say, NEW ERECTIONS??

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

image.jpg.c002969a5352ecb8c6a4214fe49f005f.jpg

Why do you people do this to yourselves? At this point if you're riding Mean Streak in any row but row one leaning forward you deserve all of the pain and suffering the ride can deliver.

And I know you guys never specified where you sat but I already know you weren't in row 1.

^ I personally hope that they don't. It will take an already busy (on any nice warm day) park to stupidly insane mobbed if they allow it free with park admission.

CP is making money doing it this way and if they simply add a new attraction or two next season along with some upgrades, even more people will be willing to pay the extra money to visit the park.

^ I personally hope that they don't. It will take an already busy (on any nice warm day) park to stupidly insane mobbed if they allow it free with park admission.

CP is making money doing it this way and if they simply add a new attraction or two next season along with some upgrades, even more people will be willing to pay the extra money to visit the park.

So? It's not visited as much as Canada's Wonderland and they have a free water park.