TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It's looking like Hurler will be Cedar Fair's first RMC. If so then there's a 99% chance Mean Streak will also get the treatment in 2018 due to a similar chain of events.

Either way it's great to see CF giving love to their woodies and not just neglecting them.

If Kings Dominion specifically said, "The Hurler will be done in house", then why do people continue to say it's going to be done by RMC? And for the record...I'm not against it. I would happily enjoy seeing Hurler and Mean Streak redone by RMC.

It's looking like Hurler will be Cedar Fair's first RMC. If so then there's a 99% chance Mean Streak will also get the treatment in 2018 due to a similar chain of events.

Either way it's great to see CF giving love to their woodies and not just neglecting them.

If Kings Dominion specifically said, "The Hurler will be done in house", then why do people continue to say it's going to be done by RMC? And for the record...I'm not against it. I would happily enjoy seeing Hurler and Mean Streak redone by RMC.

If it was done in house then there wouldn't be any clear, CLEAR hints posted by KD themselves.

When do most of the schools in the area go back from summer vacation? I'm looking at taking a quick trip there in two weeks (all day Thursday and about half the day Friday) and I'm curious about what the crowds will be like. Based on the hours changing from 10-10 to 10-8 that week, I'm guessing the crowds die down quite a bit.

Edited by jonskinny12

Due to getting a puppy this year my coaster riding has fallen off greatly. But we will be going out to cedar point this year and are going the magical weekend between Labor Day and halloweekends (sept 10-11). I was wondering if anyone here has used the "pet check" at CP and how your experience was with it. Do you just show up there an hour before the park opens? How were the facilities? Does it fill up quickly or should I be confident that he will have a spot if we show up early? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I meant to go check it out myself when I was there in July but forgot. Can you take some pictures of the inside and post them for those of us who would be interested in using pet check in the future?

To be fair, Kings Dominion never used the words "in-house". The exact phrase was, "Sometimes with an older wooden coaster like Hurler you need to give it that extra maintenance. So we are going to give it that maintenance it needs this season and plan to reopen it next year."

Many people took the word "we" as meaning that the park themselves were doing the rehab, when in reality it was a general statement as in the park was closing Hurler for the year so it could be fixed up.

When do most of the schools in the area go back from summer vacation? I'm looking at taking a quick trip there in two weeks (all day Thursday and about half the day Friday) and I'm curious about what the crowds will be like. Based on the hours changing from 10-10 to 10-8 that week, I'm guessing the crowds die down quite a bit.

Schools in cleveland area go back that week for the most part. My suburb goes back the Thursday you'll be at the park.

The 10-8 closings are insanely slow. They're usually a "Michigan Days" promotion because Michigan residents are still out of school, so the only reason they stay open is to appeal to those people and target them with deep discounts for Michigan residents and targeted ads in eastern Michigan.

I haven't seen anything about that yet this year but that's been the promotion in years past. The park is very slow. You're in for a treat.

O.K. CP Seasoned Experts and Fan Boys, hit me with your knowledge...So Cal resident taking my youngest to visit UM in late Oct (21/22)...flying back to LA on the 24th which leaves the 23rd wide open to potentially hit CP...I notice the only Hotel with a one night Option at this point is Castaway Bay...is this place decent and do they have a shuttle? We appear to still get the early entry option even though its 'off-site'...we have no interest in the indoor water park so strictly a CP blitz if we make the trip down from the Detroit area...hard to pass up a visit since we are never that close...what are crowds on a Sunday of Halloweekends? Give me your best recommendations...

O.K. CP Seasoned Experts and Fan Boys, hit me with your knowledge...So Cal resident taking my youngest to visit UM in late Oct (21/22)...flying back to LA on the 24th which leaves the 23rd wide open to potentially hit CP...I notice the only Hotel with a one night Option at this point is Castaway Bay...is this place decent and do they have a shuttle? We appear to still get the early entry option even though its 'off-site'...we have no interest in the indoor water park so strictly a CP blitz if we make the trip down from the Detroit area...hard to pass up a visit since we are never that close...what are crowds on a Sunday of Halloweekends? Give me your best recommendations...

Crowds are actually pretty manageable. I'd still suggest a Fastlane since you just have one day though.

Ugh, I took a gamble and setup a trip for next week. I'll be there tuesday and wednesday. After a couple weeks of looking like the forecast would be clear, now it's looking like there will be a big thunderstorm all day on tuesday...

I'm guessing they have the same storm policy as everyone else, where everything shuts down when lightning is in the area for at least 30mins?

Hopefully the forecast shifts again...

Ugh, I took a gamble and setup a trip for next week. I'll be there tuesday and wednesday. After a couple weeks of looking like the forecast would be clear, now it's looking like there will be a big thunderstorm all day on tuesday...

I'm guessing they have the same storm policy as everyone else, where everything shuts down when lightning is in the area for at least 30mins?

Sometimes cloudy stormy days are best. It will Thunderstorm for 30 minutes and the park will clear out. Giving you short waits all day! Could also make it cooler (or Muggy)

I'm heading to Cedar Point on Sunday, Aug. 21st. Staying at Breakers. I have two questions:

1. How bad do you think the crouds will be

2. Any tips for the park/hotel?

Thanks

1. Could be bad, could be good depending mostly on weather.

2. Enjoy the park and hotel - they're both nice.

You're welcome.

The 10-8 closings are insanely slow. They're usually a "Michigan Days" promotion because Michigan residents are still out of school, so the only reason they stay open is to appeal to those people and target them with deep discounts for Michigan residents and targeted ads in eastern Michigan.

I haven't seen anything about that yet this year but that's been the promotion in years past. The park is very slow. You're in for a treat.

That is awesome news. Thank you! I can't wait. I didn't think I would make it to the park this year but just decided to take a quick trip out there for a couple days.

How many thunderstorms do you know that last all day? It means there will be scattered storms which may or may not be there at any given time. Overall it'll probably be nice.

That being said don't look at a forecast on Lake Erie more than 2 or 3 days out. It's probably wrong, it'll shift a million times and it'll successfully stress you out.

On the topic of busyness, who thinks the park will be busy on Mean Streak's last day? Its a Friday and the park opens at 6. I'm thinking of making a trip that day to see what's up and get one last ride using the mighty coasterbill method.

On the topic of busyness, who thinks the park will be busy on Mean Streak's last day? Its a Friday and the park opens at 6. I'm thinking of making a trip that day to see what's up and get one last ride using the mighty coasterbill method.

Halloweekends Fridays are dead. There might be like eleven people there, lol. Note that there is limited ride availability.

Halloweekends Fridays are dead. There might be like eleven people there, lol. Note that there is limited ride availability.

I'll take it lol. As long as I can ride either Millie or Maverick i'll be great. Plus according to their website they should be giving rides on Mean Streak until 7

From 6 - 7 p.m., guests can take one final trip along the giant wooden structure. Then at 7:30, join in a special closing ceremony as we give "last rites" to the ride and march in procession from FrontierTown to the Dead Rides Cemetery near the front of the park.

The thing that gets me about Mean Streak (and I know this is off topic but I've been busy while the discussion happened) is that assuming it's a 2018 project, why would they need *that* much time to get the renovation done? I get the crappy offseason weather but even then just add two months compared to other renovations, why a full 20 months? I'm interested to see what ends up happening and what the construction timeline is like as I don't see what would require them to close to before the end of the 2016 season.

*I know people will think this is complaining. It's not. I'm not riding Mean Streak this fall, I'm just curious how it'll play out.

The thing that gets me about Mean Streak (and I know this is off topic but I've been busy while the discussion happened) is that assuming it's a 2018 project, why would they need *that* much time to get the renovation done? I get the crappy offseason weather but even then just add two months compared to other renovations, why a full 20 months? I'm interested to see what ends up happening and what the construction timeline is like as I don't see what would require them to close to before the end of the 2016 season.

*I know people will think this is complaining. It's not. I'm not riding Mean Streak this fall, I'm just curious how it'll play out.

It could be something as simple as their marketing/business plan, and just wanting to just space things out a bit after Rougarou and Valravn.

That is awesome news. Thank you! I can't wait. I didn't think I would make it to the park this year but just decided to take a quick trip out there for a couple days.

I'll be going during that time, on September 1st. It's a Thursday, so it should be really nice! It's a little close to the extended Labor Day weekend, but I think that day shouldn't be too bad due to that. Seriously, it's a great time to go, so you should have a great day!

The thing that gets me about Mean Streak (and I know this is off topic but I've been busy while the discussion happened) is that assuming it's a 2018 project, why would they need *that* much time to get the renovation done?

I'm going to assume that it's because of the sheer size of the project? Texas Giant was/is roughly the same size as Mean Streak. It closed in November of 2009, and reopened April of 2011. . . So if Mean Streak is getting the same RMC treatment, and it is closing in September of 2016, and reopens in 2018 that's a pretty similar time line. (Maybe a bit longer because they are factoring in the "harsh" winters that can cause delays with the construction.)

If anything by comparing the timelines, it make it seem even more likely that Mean Streak will be getting an RMC Makeover!

The thing that gets me about Mean Streak (and I know this is off topic but I've been busy while the discussion happened) is that assuming it's a 2018 project, why would they need *that* much time to get the renovation done?

I'm going to assume that it's because of the sheer size of the project? Texas Giant was/is roughly the same size as Mean Streak. It closed in November of 2009, and reopened April of 2011. . . So if Mean Streak is getting the same RMC treatment, and it is closing in September of 2016, and reopens in 2018 that's a pretty similar time line. (Maybe a bit longer because they are factoring in the "harsh" winters that can cause delays with the construction.)

If anything by comparing the timelines, it make it seem even more likely that Mean Streak will be getting an RMC Makeover!

In addition to this, which I think is very valid, by the way, I still maintain that there will be added infrastructure around the ride. Whether that includes an extension of the Gemini Midway and a new back entrance or not (and I personally think it will), I definitely think there will be additional things back in the Mean Streak area besides just the coaster!

At that time RMC had a VERY small workshop to manufacture the track pieces. They could only build one, maybe two pieces at a time. Since then they have moved into a new, much bigger facility and have hired a lot more staff to make many more track pieces at a time. If Cedar Point is waiting to do an RMC conversion until 2018, I think it's more likely that the park just wants a nice large buffer zone of time to work out any kinks in the project and have the ride ready for opening day.

In addition to this, which I think is very valid, by the way, I still maintain that there will be added infrastructure around the ride. Whether that includes an extension of the Gemini Midway and a new back entrance or not (and I personally think it will), I definitely think there will be additional things back in the Mean Streak area besides just the coaster!

I am interested in this new gate and why you think it is needed. Who will use it other than the cabin and RV folks? A gate would require at minimum 3 staff entrance, exit and ticketing and sometimes security. That is a lot of staff for relatively few guests.

I am interested in this new gate and why you think it is needed. Who will use it other than the cabin and RV folks? A gate would require at minimum 3 staff entrance, exit and ticketing and sometimes security. That is a lot of staff for relatively few guests.

Sandcastle?