TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I believe every coaster and some other popular rides (like Skyway) all close about 8 to 10 minutes after close regardless of line length and run as long as they have to to empty the lines. It's not at all uncommon on busy days for rides like Millennium Force and Dragster to be running an hour or longer after the park closes. Take notes Six Flags.

I always had the idea that if you can enter the park until a certain time, you should have enough time to get to a ride before the line closes.

I believe every coaster and some other popular rides (like Skyway) all close about 8 to 10 minutes after close regardless of line length and run as long as they have to to empty the lines. It's not at all uncommon on busy days for rides like Millennium Force and Dragster to be running an hour or longer after the park closes. Take notes Six Flags.

I always had the idea that if you can enter the park until a certain time, you should have enough time to get to a ride before the line closes.

You can't even do that at SFMM. They close the main gate an hour before posted closing time and the re-entry gate 30 min before the posted closing time. You basically can't get in after that.

As an FYI for all of those visiting for VR Iron Dragon, if the ride goes down mechanical or for weather, your ride time is not honored and you do not get to ride if your time happens during the down time. The storm that rolled through this evening caused the ride to not even start prep until like 7:15, and they decided that anyone with a time that had passed would not get to ride. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure it was down mechanical till 9 so no one got to ride, but my group was sorely disappointed by the management decision. A decent hunk of the park had cleared out and we had already wasted 2 hours waiting in both scorching sun and light rain to sign up and then wait to get on. At least we got to have a really pleasant conversation with the guest service supervisors, they were awesome.

As an FYI for all of those visiting for VR Iron Dragon, if the ride goes down mechanical or for weather, your ride time is not honored and you do not get to ride if your time happens during the down time. The storm that rolled through this evening caused the ride to not even start prep until like 7:15, and they decided that anyone with a time that had passed would not get to ride. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure it was down mechanical till 9 so no one got to ride, but my group was sorely disappointed by the management decision. A decent hunk of the park had cleared out and we had already wasted 2 hours waiting in both scorching sun and light rain to sign up and then wait to get on. At least we got to have a really pleasant conversation with the guest service supervisors, they were awesome.

When we did it they could not get it prepped in time, so they gave us a front of the line passes.

So we headed straight for Maverick [emoji4]

They gave us a time to come back (which was 10pm) but it didn't bother us because it was a midnight closing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yeah but their policy is changing now and as of late last year they've been cutting ride lines early to avoid that. Personally I find that policy deplorable but it doesn't really matter what I think.

I think the main issue with many parks is the employees. Some parks don't have the extra time for employees. Once it's time for them to leave, they leave. Like a teenager who's not enthusiastic and sees the clock turn to 10, they'll close the ride. I agree Cedar Point is awesome with this, they probably hired the employees or pay them overtime to empty the queue. It's unique and awesome.

A couple of buddies of mine took a trip to the park yesterday. Is it just me or is the park getting more affordable? The after 4PM ticket for $39.99? Park open until 11? Sounds like a deal to me. The starlight pass was only for after 5 when the park was open until 10.

Some other obeservations when going to the park:

Water tower is looking a little better.

The Valravn wall got trimmed up a bit.

The CP app changed up and now funpix has the watermark all over the digital photos. To me that is a huge disappointment.

I've never noticed the new starlight lighting until a few visits ago, and the new lighting looks really nice.

Halloweekends facades are going up.

First timer trip report...as we head back home to MD today.

We arrived about 1pm Tuesday and our SS room was ready. We unloaded and had them call a shuttle to the parks for us. I do LOVE the on-call shuttle service here.

We were dropped off at the 'back' entrance so first ride was Magnum. It was OK and had pretty much no wait...maybe 10 minutes.

Next up was Corkscrew. Yeah it was way too short.

Daughter and I did the drop tower...just the one that shoots you up not the one that goes to the top.

I think we took the Skyride next and found a 15 minute wait for Gatekeeper. We rode it twice, once on each side. Loved it. I think we also caught Raptor on a short line? It was okay.

Oh yeah family wanted to do maxAir. We just rode a similar ride at MD last weekend and I didn't tolerate it well but they loved it and said it was better than the KD version.

It was hot and we felt a break for pool and dinner was in order. Walked back to Sandcastle.

OK the pool at Sandcastle...just gross. Bugs everywhere in it and I don't mean just every so often..you can not stand anywhere in the pool and not be surrounded by floating bugs/mosquitos in the water all around you. That can't be sanitary told kids not to accidentally swallow any of the water. Do they have no working pool filters or vacuum at night? Kids just did not have any desire to stay in and we love the pool. That is really my only complaint about Sandcastle. I thought the rooms overall were fine (yes those short bedsheets also suck) and room was cleaned well. Maid service was good and we even got a blanket animal from my kids blankets. So seriously if not for the gross gross pool we would have really enjoyed Sandcastle .

Dinner was at TGIF at Breakers which was fine. Service was a bit off but overall good.

Headed from dinner back to the park. Waited about 30 minutes for Millennium Force and didn't quite get front but in the dark and it was great! We also got rides on Gemini (red) and Pipe Scream, Rogarou, Mine Train, and Iron Dragon. Forced the family on Cedar Downs which they complained about but we all really enjoyed it. Kids drove the cars a few times too.

Overall got a lot done on our first day between 2pm and 10:30 pm on day one.

Day Two:

Arrived at gates around 8:40am and lined up for 9am opening. Decided to hit Maverick first which was nice. Next was in insistence on Millennium Force again and daughter and I waited for very front while boys did front car 2nd row and then went around again and rode in middle to back right on the car after we finally rode once. Then we headed to Valravn knowing that line wouldn't ever get shorter we waited about 70 minutes to ride it...in 110 real feel heat. Joy. And unlike all of the other long lines for coasters this was the one with NO vending machines as I had hoped.

Oh and as we were at the top about the load they stopped a car on the hill going up. We were ready to cry and they told us they had stopped it on purpose to go get a camera and sure enough an employee climbed the hill and got a camera from a rider. That would also happen later than same night on Blue Streak hill. They are not kidding about no cameras people.

Anyway after Valravn we did the train ride all the way around...that is cute and different. I think the family also did Skyhawk a few times...they loved that and then back to resort where we grabbed a quick bite in room. Then took two youngest kids to the Breakers beach for a while and that was nice. Probably spent a good two hours there and headed back to room about 4pm where we saw the thunderstorms rolling in so perfect time to have dinner. Headed to Perkins for that and again it was okay.

Then we headed back to park about 6pm thinking we would have 5 more hours to finish stuff if and when they started opening coasters again. We tried to ride Mean Streak which showed 20 min wait bit afteR 10 WE BARELY moved and they were running empty coasters. It was not to be..sorry.

I did insist on Blue Streak and we got on that around 9 maybe so dark and we were also sure more rain was coming with lightning in distance but thankfully it stayed away. Kids did Wicked Twister with no wait and we managed another ride on Cedar Derby and more cars. Dodgem wasn't running sadly...same for Gatekeeper. Kids did a few more flat rides on walk out of park around 10:30 pm and as a last coaster we rode Magnum at night, fitting since it was the first coaster/ride we did in CP and my last and we realized we had severely under-rated it. Loved it especially at night. Could have done that one more!

Overall a great first trip for us and definitely want to return in the future.

I agree Cedar Point is awesome with this, they probably hired the employees or pay them overtime to empty the queue. It's unique and awesome.

Under Ohio labor laws, seasonal employees are NOT entitled to overtime. Even though summers are a few months they are still considered seasonal employees and there for no overtime is paid.

Source: I'm a former CF employee in Ohio for 5 seasons and never once received OT pay for hours worked, and I regularly put in 70+ hour weeks.

So Cedar Point sent this in the mail.

http://www.morningjournal.com/article/MJ/20160809/NEWS/160809590

They are doing a good job keeping me guessing. I've heard some people say Mean Streak will get RMC'ed but because the structure is so big they will have to take a full year to get it ready.

This flip-flop has all but confirmed, for me, that it will be a water park expansion year. I hope they go big and build a large water coaster bringing their "coaster count" to 19, but they probably are just adding that same water slide complex everyone has.

Or...Maybe a stretch.... the flip flop is a water park expansion, however the other flip-flop is not a flip-flop at all, and is a cowboy boot

I also see a Soak City expansion. I'm still on the fence if I think that Sky Coaster will move elsewhere into the park. I dunno. I would like to see them reuse the Shoot The Rapids Site for another water attraction in the future.

There is a post on twitter that shows the park putting up Haunt signs, and one of those signs is for Eden Muse and it looks to remain open for this years Haunt. For those who don't know, this haunt is within the Mean Streak structure, and you have to go under the coaster to go to the queue. So that makes me think the destruction of Mean Streak won't really start to kick in until November, and "if" it is an RMC, it won't open until 2018.

I'm still on the fence if I think that Sky Coaster will move elsewhere into the park.

Bet on it. With all the money.

^THIS

My personal suspicion is that it will be next to Slingshot, and eventually by 2018, part of a new midway that extends to the RMC Streak and Frontier Town entrance. But at the very least, it will be moved elsewhere!

Due to getting a puppy this year my coaster riding has fallen off greatly. But we will be going out to cedar point this year and are going the magical weekend between Labor Day and halloweekends (sept 10-11). I was wondering if anyone here has used the "pet check" at CP and how your experience was with it. Do you just show up there an hour before the park opens? How were the facilities? Does it fill up quickly or should I be confident that he will have a spot if we show up early? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I'm still on the fence if I think that Sky Coaster will move elsewhere into the park.

Bet on it. With all the money.

^THIS

My personal suspicion is that it will be next to Slingshot, and eventually by 2018, part of a new midway that extends to the RMC Streak and Frontier Town entrance. But at the very least, it will be moved elsewhere!

Carowinds successfully moved its model from the Hurler corner to the middle of the park near StealthBorg, so an in-park move has precedent. I expect CP to keep it. There will surely be future development of the former Shoot the Rapids area down the road, but if the water park & Mean Streak constitute the near-future plans, then the front-end of that StR space would be a logical spot to plop down the Sky Coaster.

first ride was Magnum. It was OK

Gatekeeper. We rode it twice, once on each side. Loved it.

This person gets it!!!

Glad you had such a good time, and thanks for the TR!

You are welcome for the TR and I guess you somewhat agree with my assessments?? You may have missed that I did find Magnum to be a much better ride later in the evening. It doesn't really make my top 5 or 10 but it was one of the better ones in the park because it didn't beat me up.

Now I admit it's been a while since I've been to 6FMM (back in 2013) but I do think I enjoyed X2 more than Gatekeeper here but they were both great rides. As I think I mentioned, my top list overall includes Apollo's Chariot and Griffon at BGW, Kinga Ka and El Toro at 6FGA, Cheetah Hunt at BGT and X2. We also love I305 at KD and Banshee at KI but I do think we need to return to KI with the kids in the future to try the coasters there again. We did ride Beast but only once and I think we need to give it another chance. We had only one day there when we went so were getting through as many rides as we could in that one day.

I did like the unique aspects of BGT new Cobra's Curse though, but it's not worth the long wait right now.

I also must say we did get great airtime on Blue Streak and I would have loved to do that one again but we didn't get time. For a wooden coaster it didn't beat me up too bad. I wish I had enjoyed Maverick more but honestly even in the front the twists really whipped me back and forth too much for my liking. Millenium Force we could have done a few more times.

We also need to get back to Carowinds now that the kids can do more coasters. We haven't done any of the big ones there yet.

I was wondering if anyone here has used the "pet check" at CP and how your experience was with it. Do you just show up there an hour before the park opens? How were the facilities? Does it fill up quickly or should I be confident that he will have a spot if we show up early? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I've never had any experience with pet check. I would probably just call the park directly if I was in your situation.

In other news, a ride on the train the other day also brought to my attention to some new theming in Boneville. I'm not sure when it was added, but I noticed something new this time.

In other other news, another question mark for the park is what they will do with Challenge Golf. One course on it has been closed down for years now, and the other course got a little bit of attention a few years ago. However, even that side is starting to fall apart a bit. Recently, the water feature has been turned down to a minimum. No longer are there roaring waterfalls next to the greens. Challenge Golf is certainly something I will be keeping an eye on year after year.

Same with the arcade. A lot of the old arcade games are no longer operational. I went in there a days ago with my friends and half of the machines weren't working. Challenge Golf and the Arcade are two areas that I think the park should make a decision with. It seems like they are kind of in limbo right now.

I was wondering if anyone here has used the "pet check" at CP and how your experience was with it. Do you just show up there an hour before the park opens? How were the facilities? Does it fill up quickly or should I be confident that he will have a spot if we show up early? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I've never had any experience with pet check. I would probably just call the park directly if I was in your situation.

In other news, a ride on the train the other day also brought to my attention to some new theming in Boneville. I'm not sure when it was added, but I noticed something new this time.

In other other news, another question mark for the park is what they will do with Challenge Golf. One course on it has been closed down for years now, and the other course got a little bit of attention a few years ago. However, even that side is starting to fall apart a bit. Recently, the water feature has been turned down to a minimum. No longer are there roaring waterfalls next to the greens. Challenge Golf is certainly something I will be keeping an eye on year after year.

Same with the arcade. A lot of the old arcade games are no longer operational. I went in there a days ago with my friends and half of the machines weren't working. Challenge Golf and the Arcade are two areas that I think the park should make a decision with. It seems like they are kind of in limbo right now.

The Mini Golf going away is, like moving Skycoaster, something you can bet all the money on. The arcade has been downsized a bit in the last couple of years, but I can't see them getting rid of it entirely. If they do, I'll be renting a Ryder truck and headed to Sandusky with a bunch of money in my pocket.

It's looking like Hurler will be Cedar Fair's first RMC. If so then there's a 99% chance Mean Streak will also get the treatment in 2018 due to a similar chain of events.

Either way it's great to see CF giving love to their woodies and not just neglecting them.