TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

As for is fast pass is needed, Its hard to say many things go into to that. Some schools In Ohio are starting that could help. The weather can scare people away. The park is still going to be somewhat busy. The one thing to ask your self is how much is your time worth. All I can say about getting fast pass is, that on a some what busy day and and a busy day can make your day a hole hell of a lot more fun and stress free. Why not make the most out of your trip if you have the funds. Stay in one night and not go out and will all work out.

First timer here...but hoping to hang around more often in the future!

Family and I are taking our FIRST trip to Cedar Point this week. Arriving Tuesday afternoon (driving about 7 hours) and spending Tuesday and Wednesday at the park, coming home Thursday. Staying at Sandcastle Suites (though we were originally slated to stay at Breakers, but AAA booking completely screwed us on that one...story for another day).

Anyway...5 of us total, with kids ranging from 12 to 16 and all thrill seekers. We have been waiting for years to visit this park, just until the kids finally reached the magic 54 inch mark and could do everything. That happened late last summer.

Our history: we are amusement park junkies. Our home park is SFA but we spend little time there, choosing a season pass and then trying to visit SF Great Adventure in NJ every chance we can do so. Therefore we have already BTDT for Kingda Ka this year with the kids and pretty much every other coaster at SFGA already. We did KD just about a week ago so kids finally got to experience I305 and LOVED it. We've also done BG Tampa this year hitting all the big coasters there and did BG Williamsburg last summer to hit up all the big coasters there. A few years ago we visited Six Flags Magic Mountain (kids weren't quite big enough for everything unfortunately) but we loved X2 and YOLOcoaster was okay...was brand new at the time. We did King's Island two years ago just to ride Banshee but also to enjoy that park for the first time.

Right now favorites among our group are Apollo's Chariot, Superman (at Six Flags America...yes it is still a favorite), Griffon, Kinga Ka, Cheetah Hunt and El Toro. Ok others in our group may have different favorites...but those are mine as of now.

So we plan to hit every big ride possible in our two days there. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. We have spent more than planned already on the hotel, so we will need to wait in lines. We'll take advantage of the early park entry on Wednesday, but won't be able to do so on Tuesday afternoon.

Anyway, any recommended plan of attack for Tuesday afternoon? We can just hit at least a few coasters with minimal waits I hope, and then hit the rest of them on Wednesday morning. Then hopefully get Wednesday evening to re-ride favorites.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I have a few tips on where / how to ride certain coasters and a few tips on when to ride them. As far as actual riding tips, this is going to drive everyone here to drink but luckily they only have to listen to me say it for another few weeks. Mean Streak can beat the crap out of you depending on where you ride it. Ride it in the very front row, lean forward with your back off the seat back and you'll have a glass smooth ride.

On Magnum, the lap bars cause thigh pain for a lot of people. Tighten the seatbelts as much as possible to avoid this.

Ride Blue Streak and Gemeni in non-wheel seats. So the middle row of any car (there are 3 rows per car).

Ride Millennium Force in the front at night. Dragster is always a great front seat ride but you're short on time so you might not be able to wait for it. You have Kingda Ka close to home anyway.

Another tip: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT ride Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak, Valravn or Maxair in the morning. You can ride Gatekeeper during Early Entry but it's a waste of Early Entry. All of those rides have massive lines in the morning but by mid afternoon they're much more manageable.

Also, Sky Ride's line moves insanely fast, so don't let a full queue scare you if you want to ride it. It's a great way to get off your feet in such a huge park and offers excellent views.

Have fun! With those tips all the coasters should be very enjoyable (well... except Corkscrew. Corkscrew sucks).

Thanks for the tips. I have them saved to reference easily later. Honestly there are so few wooden coasters we enjoy any more so if we skip some of those here I'll be okay with that. I think one of the worst in recent memory may have been Ghostrider at Knott's Berry Farm (same trip where we visited Magic Mountain) so if I have to skip it that's okay with me. Any other coasters that I should expect some pain? After all I try to avoid several coasters I know these days with the headlock restraints that give me headaches (I'm taking to you Minderaser at SIx Flags America and Anaconda at Kings Dominion). I've done them all before and thy was enough. If I should just skip a few at Cedar Point that won't offer me anything above and beyond and ride others over that is fine. As you mentioned Top Thrill Dragster will pretty much match Kingda Ka so if we miss it...it will be okay.

Overall just hoping to enjoy our first visit here and sounds like it will be worth the trip.

Corkscrew is the only one that is actually painful, as long as you ride Mean Streak as Bill suggested. If you're not that into wooden coasters, though, Mean Streak is skippable. I loved it, but then I like giant wooden coasters in general, and some of my highest rated coasters are that type. Don't skip Blue Streak, though, it's a classic and very smooth in any middle row. If you ride in a front or back row, you're going to have a bad time. So just don't do that.

Really, to have the best time at Cedar Point, just ride the M's over and over again: Millennium Force, Maverick, and Magnum. Those are three of the best roller coasters in the world.

Is there any safety feature that had since been implemented that prevents another xcelerator incident from happening when the cable snaps? I personally think the cable snapping IS pretty terrifying to witness in person, especially after what happened..

Really, to have the best time at Cedar Point, just ride the M's over and over again: Millennium Force, Maverick, and Magnum. Those are three of the best roller coasters in the world.

Words to live by.

Words to live by.

And to think, next year another world's best 'M' will join them. Mean Streak!

Is there any safety feature that had since been implemented that prevents another xcelerator incident from happening when the cable snaps? I personally think the cable snapping IS pretty terrifying to witness in person, especially after what happened..

Aside from encasing the front car in lexan? Not really.

Which is why they are crying to get $15/hr. for flipping burgers...

Yeah, that couldn't have anything to do with there literally being a time in the lives of twenty-somethings when gas was $1.25 a gallon instead of $2.50 to $4.00, when milk was $2.75 a gallon instead of $3.75, when credit card introductory interest rates were around 15% instead of 20 to 25%, and when student loans were actually enough to get you through college without owing anything out of pocket (and weren't purposely set up to keep you in debt for the rest of your life after you graduate)...and yet the federal minimum wage has seen one pitiful increase since then. The minimum wage set forth by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 equates to around $4.25 an hour in today's money...we've gone up a whopping 3 dollars in eight decades despite inflation increasing seventeen fold since then.

But yeah, we're TOTALLY just being big babies about a non-existent problem, right?

Oh, uhh...crap, first post in almost 3 years. Guess I should say something relevant rather than derailing a topic...glad to hear Dragster's downtime will be minimal! Yeah, good for them!

*wanders off to lurk for another 3 years, probably*

Oh, uhh...crap, first post in almost 3 years. Guess I should say something relevant rather than derailing a topic...glad to hear Dragster's downtime will be minimal! Yeah, good for them!

Although I have many different viewpoints on the minimum wage issue, I don't think it would be appropriate to continue the debate here. That said, the post was well worth it because I got a pretty good laugh out of the quoted comment, haha! See you in 3 years, bud!

Are there in good local places in Sandusky to get a good steak?

Not in the mood for Thisty Pony?

Ah, I didn't realize it served steak. I just understood it as a place with wings (a la Buffalo Wild Wings).

First timer here...but hoping to hang around more often in the future!

Family and I are taking our FIRST trip to Cedar Point this week. Arriving Tuesday afternoon (driving about 7 hours) and spending Tuesday and Wednesday at the park, coming home Thursday. Staying at Sandcastle Suites (though we were originally slated to stay at Breakers, but AAA booking completely screwed us on that one...story for another day).

Anyway...5 of us total, with kids ranging from 12 to 16 and all thrill seekers. We have been waiting for years to visit this park, just until the kids finally reached the magic 54 inch mark and could do everything. That happened late last summer.

Our history: we are amusement park junkies. Our home park is SFA but we spend little time there, choosing a season pass and then trying to visit SF Great Adventure in NJ every chance we can do so. Therefore we have already BTDT for Kingda Ka this year with the kids and pretty much every other coaster at SFGA already. We did KD just about a week ago so kids finally got to experience I305 and LOVED it. We've also done BG Tampa this year hitting all the big coasters there and did BG Williamsburg last summer to hit up all the big coasters there. A few years ago we visited Six Flags Magic Mountain (kids weren't quite big enough for everything unfortunately) but we loved X2 and YOLOcoaster was okay...was brand new at the time. We did King's Island two years ago just to ride Banshee but also to enjoy that park for the first time.

Right now favorites among our group are Apollo's Chariot, Superman (at Six Flags America...yes it is still a favorite), Griffon, Kinga Ka, Cheetah Hunt and El Toro. Ok others in our group may have different favorites...but those are mine as of now.

So we plan to hit every big ride possible in our two days there. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. We have spent more than planned already on the hotel, so we will need to wait in lines. We'll take advantage of the early park entry on Wednesday, but won't be able to do so on Tuesday afternoon.

Anyway, any recommended plan of attack for Tuesday afternoon? We can just hit at least a few coasters with minimal waits I hope, and then hit the rest of them on Wednesday morning. Then hopefully get Wednesday evening to re-ride favorites.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I have a few tips on where / how to ride certain coasters and a few tips on when to ride them. As far as actual riding tips, this is going to drive everyone here to drink but luckily they only have to listen to me say it for another few weeks. Mean Streak can beat the crap out of you depending on where you ride it. Ride it in the very front row, lean forward with your back off the seat back and you'll have a glass smooth ride.

On Magnum, the lap bars cause thigh pain for a lot of people. Tighten the seatbelts as much as possible to avoid this.

Ride Blue Streak and Gemeni in non-wheel seats. So the middle row of any car (there are 3 rows per car).

Ride Millennium Force in the front at night. Dragster is always a great front seat ride but you're short on time so you might not be able to wait for it. You have Kingda Ka close to home anyway.

Another tip: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT ride Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak, Valravn or Maxair in the morning. You can ride Gatekeeper during Early Entry but it's a waste of Early Entry. All of those rides have massive lines in the morning but by mid afternoon they're much more manageable.

Also, Sky Ride's line moves insanely fast, so don't let a full queue scare you if you want to ride it. It's a great way to get off your feet in such a huge park and offers excellent views.

Have fun! With those tips all the coasters should be very enjoyable (well... except Corkscrew. Corkscrew sucks).

Man, coasterbill, sometimes when reading your posts, I feel like you are my clone (with a different face)!

Yeah, just do what this guy says, and you'll be made in the shade! (Why do I have a feeling that expression dates me? )

There was a major transition in a short period of time from our years of youth to the people only slightly younger than me. When I was a child I remember being repeatedly told "You can be whatever you want to be as long as you work hard for it, because you're special in your own way." Sometime later that sentiment was transitioned to "You should be able to do whatever you want to do no matter how hard you work for it or who it inconveniences, because you're entitled to everything no matter what."

Not trying to bring this up again, but I did just want to let you know that as somebody now in my upper 30's, I definitely see a lot of what you're saying here! No, it's certainly not across the board, but prevailing attitudes have certainly changed over the years, and in my opinion, not for the better. Again, not trying to start something, but I just wanted to let you know you were not alone in your perception.

Hey, I have a question regarding Cedar Point, regarding something I actually don't know about firsthand! Are crowds on the Sunday before Columbus Day really bad? I've noticed they're randomly open later, which typically is not a good sign regarding expected crowd levels. I know normal Sundays are typically not too bad during Halloweekends, but I've also heard that this is a REALLY BAD weekend to go to amusement parks. So, anybody who has had actual experience with going this day, it'd be great to hear your feedback on the matter!