TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Most things little kids say on the internet make me want to drink; from their grammar, their wtf ideas, to their incomprehensible posts, I feel like i need a 5th of Captin to understand them.

Most millennials have that effect on me because they aren't aware of anything before 1995.

[attachment=0]andy_dick_vodka.jpg[/attachment]

There was a major transition in a short period of time from our years of youth to the people only slightly younger than me. When I was a child I remember being repeatedly told "You can be whatever you want to be as long as you work hard for it, because you're special in your own way." Sometime later that sentiment was transitioned to "You should be able to do whatever you want to do no matter how hard you work for it or who it inconveniences, because you're entitled to everything no matter what."

Most things little kids say on the internet make me want to drink; from their grammar, their wtf ideas, to their incomprehensible posts, I feel like i need a 5th of Captin to understand them.

Most millennials have that effect on me because they aren't aware of anything before 1995.

[attachment=0]andy_dick_vodka.jpg[/attachment]

There was a major transition in a short period of time from our years of youth to the people only slightly younger than me. When I was a child I remember being repeatedly told "You can be whatever you want to be as long as you work hard for it, because you're special in your own way." Sometime later that sentiment was transitioned to "You should be able to do whatever you want to do no matter how hard you work for it or who it inconveniences, because you're entitled to everything no matter what."

I've literally never heard anyone say such a thing, other than 30-50 YOs complaining about "millennials" on the Internet. In fact, your statement is probably far less true for young people today than it was for young people years ago, much harder to get an entry level job now than it ever has been. But whatever...

That was honestly really scary to see. I'm so happy everybody seems to be ok.

My God people are soft these days... Most of our previous recent generations had world wars to deal with. In 2016 people are in great fear of snapping cables on amusement park rides. Cables enclosed in hardened steel. Startling, I can see. Frightening? Poor baby.

Let's try to keep the drama down to a low roar, guys.

I've literally never heard anyone say such a thing, other than 30-50 YOs complaining about "millennials" on the Internet. In fact, your statement is probably far less true for young people today than it was for young people years ago, much harder to get an entry level job now than it ever has been. But whatever...

What, in your 6 months of paying attention? Come talk to me in ten years. You can share frustrations with me about how the people even younger than you only have three capabilities: Getting high, gorging on fast food, and burying their hunched over drooling faces in "smart" devices.

I can understand if the people ten years older than me had disgust for my age group as well, which is why I have always gotten along much better with people older than me.

What, in your 6 months of paying attention? Come talk to me in ten years. You can share frustrations with me about how the people even younger than you only have three capabilities: Getting high, gorging on fast food, and burying their hunched over drooling faces in "smart" devices.

Um, I'm pretty sure that we have more than three capabilities. Honestly, I don't think myself or any other millennials in my family do any of those three things.

From our recent trips that I have taken with my family, we have all noticed that it's not just "millennials" that have their faces stuck on their phones. When we were at CP in June we saw SO many older people almost walk into us and other people because they were on their phones.

Also, I think there are just as many non-millennials that gorge on fast food. That is a personal behavior that has nothing to do with age.

Back to topic, I'm really surprised that CP will already have Dragster open tomorrow. You would think they would have to figure out why this happened, how to prevent it, and do a few days of testing. The amusement industry always seems to have a lot of rules that parks need to follow when something like this happens.

You would think they would have to figure out why this happened, how to prevent it, and do a few days of testing. The amusement industry always seems to have a lot of rules that parks need to follow when something like this happens.

No. I would think they would install a new cable which they already did because it was already in stock, then check everything over and re-open the ride knowing full well that sometimes rocket coaster cables snap. It's happened on Kingda Ka,

, Storm Runner, and Top Thrill Dragster before and it's probably going to happen again. It's really not the end of the world.

I can understand if the people ten years older than me had disgust for my age group as well, which is why I have always gotten along much better with people older than me.

Wow man, how can you write that without thinking "maybe I'm just an out of touch cliche?".

I'm thinking about taking a spontaneous road trip and visit CP for the first time this Friday. I've read numerous reviews of FastLanePlus, good and bad, and I am wondering if I will be getting my money's worth for dropping 105 dollars along with the ticket? Will I be able to get through at least most of the park in a day's time on a Friday if I purchase it? If you guys have any other tips about CP in early August I'd appreciate it as well, trying to make the best of my visit! Thanks!

That was honestly really scary to see. I'm so happy everybody seems to be ok.

My God people are soft these days... Most of our previous recent generations had world wars to deal with. In 2016 people are in great fear of snapping cables on amusement park rides. Cables enclosed in hardened steel. Startling, I can see. Frightening? Poor baby.

Let's try to keep the drama down to a low roar, guys.

I'm sorry but when I was in line for TTD I wasn't really expecting to see a large cable up in the air. At the time it was very frightening. Yes, It isn't *really* that big of a deal, but what if somebody had gotten hurt? Then would you say it's frightening?

I also think you can't compare this to World Wars. Obviously this isn't nearly as scary as that. I'm not stupid, nor was I trying to say this is the scariest thing I've ever seen or been a part of. Hell, the two car accidents I've been a part of were much scarier.

All that being said, the initial shock of seeing a cable from a roller coaster up in the air was pretty scary.

Dang bro maybe you could use a joint...

Yes, It isn't *really* that big of a deal, but what if somebody had gotten hurt? Then would you say it's frightening?

Honestly? Playing the odds? If I'm just being honest, no. A cable snapped. It's probably not the first time, it probably won't be the last time. I'm sure Intamin had this in mind when the ride was designed, hence the cable being mostly enclosed in a cage of hardened steel (track).

I have no doubt that the situation was startling, especially if you're in a relaxed state of mind and it made a large sound. However, to over dramatize the situation or to 'what if' the hell out of it is something I can't relate to. After we all duck or jump it might be good for a laugh and time to grab a beer.

Dang bro maybe you could use a joint...

But seriously, stop acting like literally every young person is described by the three things you listed. There are many good young people out there.

Yes, It isn't *really* that big of a deal, but what if somebody had gotten hurt? Then would you say it's frightening?

Honestly? Playing the odds? If I'm just being honest, no.

Well fine, I guess I can respect your opinion, but it's very obvious that you weren't there to see it happen so really you don't much room to criticize me and what I felt when I saw it.

Edit: I posted this before you had added on to your last post.

Like you just stated, and I agree with you, It was very, very startling/frightening (I use those words interchangeablely). After the fact, yes it wasn't that big of a deal. When I stated originally how scared/startled/frightened I was that was pretty much right after it happened.

Well fine, I guess I can respect your opinion, but it's very obvious that you weren't there to see it happen so really you don't much room to criticize me and what I felt when I saw it.

I can understand that. Fair enough. I've just never really had that desire to look at things for more than what they are or make a bigger deal out of thing, which is probably why I'm pretty well built for the particular life I live. I'm partially grumpy from working 36 hours of 6pm-6am shifts this hot summer weekend, which admittedly turns me into a Monday morning d***head, so sorry if I offended you or anyone else for that matter. Just to put you into my perspective, 15 hours ago I was standing over someone in the parking lot of a bar with their guts spilling out and that was probably one of the lesser intense things I've dealt with in my work week, this week. Night shift blows in the summer.

That being the case, it's probably not you, it's me. I'll admit to being the jerk, here. I have to remind myself to put my sensitivity filter on when I'm out in public. Imagine what my wife has to deal with, occasionally. Cheers.

Edited by prozach626

I can understand that. Fair enough. I've just never really had that desire to look at things for more than what they are or make a bigger deal out of thing, which is probably why I'm pretty well built for the particular life I live. I'm partially grumpy from working 36 hours of 6pm-6am shifts this hot summer weekend, which admittedly turns me into a Monday morning d***head, so sorry if I offended you. Just to put you into my perspective, 15 hours ago I was standing over someone in the parking lot of a bar with their guts spilling out and that was probably one of the lesser intense things I've dealt with in my work week, this week. Night shift blows in the summer.

That being the case, it's probably not you, it's me. Imagine what my wife has to deal with, occasionally. Cheers.

Yikes, I can understand you being a "Monday morning d***head"

I'm glad we could settle our disagreement.

Cheers to you too, good sir.

Ok to change the subject, I have a quick write up from my visit yesterday.

We visit the park a ton, this was our 15th or 16th visit this season. Obviously the park is beautiful and all that. Ride count from yesterday:

Millennium 2x including last train of the night.

Mean Streak 1x

Valravn 1x

Gatekeeper 1x

Skyride 1x

Windseeker 1x

Iron Dragon (VR) 1x I've ridden VR 5 times already. Obviously I think it's pretty damn cool. Can't compare to any of the Six Flags ones because I've never ridden any of those.

Rougarou 1x

Skyhawk 1x

Magnum 1x

Power Tower Drop 1x

Power Tower Shot 1x

Blue Streak 1x

Gemini Blue 1x

Fun time as always. I'll be going again on Thursday

Edited by bluestreak

Amazing that people still ask if they need/should buy a Fastpass with one day weekend trips.

The answer will always be an emphatic YES.

Nope, I actually asked if i would be able to get through the park in one day with it, not if its necessary or not. Thanks for the completely unhelpful reply!

Wow, great news about Dragster. I will be visiting tomorrow and Wednesday and was thinking it would be shut all trip when I read that the cable snapped.

In a way I hope the park isn't as quiet as all the other parks we've visited the lasted couple of weeks given I've splashed out on fast passes for both days in advance..

Amazing that people still ask if they need/should buy a Fastpass with one day weekend trips.

The answer will always be an emphatic YES.

Nope, I actually asked if i would be able to get through the park in one day with it, not if its necessary or not. Thanks for the completely unhelpful reply!

I'd recommend Fast Lane Plus if you're only going to be there for a day.

^ First off, welcome to TPR.

Honestly both days you are there won't be too bad. You're looking at half hour waits for most rides besides for Maverick and Valravn. Maverick will probably be 50-60 minutes all day. Use early entry on Wednesday to get plenty of rides on Maverick. Valravn tends to be an hour or so all day. It quiets down a bit at the end of the night. Looking at a 30-35 minute wait.

Obviously I can't guarantee that I'm correct with my assumptions but it should be a pretty safe bet.

Have fun!

That is what we are hoping for and thanks for the tips. My husband swears by the Wednesday Amusement Park rule...and insists that is the best day to go. So needles to say we planned this trip to maximize a Wednesday there.

First timer here...but hoping to hang around more often in the future!

Family and I are taking our FIRST trip to Cedar Point this week. Arriving Tuesday afternoon (driving about 7 hours) and spending Tuesday and Wednesday at the park, coming home Thursday. Staying at Sandcastle Suites (though we were originally slated to stay at Breakers, but AAA booking completely screwed us on that one...story for another day).

Anyway...5 of us total, with kids ranging from 12 to 16 and all thrill seekers. We have been waiting for years to visit this park, just until the kids finally reached the magic 54 inch mark and could do everything. That happened late last summer.

Our history: we are amusement park junkies. Our home park is SFA but we spend little time there, choosing a season pass and then trying to visit SF Great Adventure in NJ every chance we can do so. Therefore we have already BTDT for Kingda Ka this year with the kids and pretty much every other coaster at SFGA already. We did KD just about a week ago so kids finally got to experience I305 and LOVED it. We've also done BG Tampa this year hitting all the big coasters there and did BG Williamsburg last summer to hit up all the big coasters there. A few years ago we visited Six Flags Magic Mountain (kids weren't quite big enough for everything unfortunately) but we loved X2 and YOLOcoaster was okay...was brand new at the time. We did King's Island two years ago just to ride Banshee but also to enjoy that park for the first time.

Right now favorites among our group are Apollo's Chariot, Superman (at Six Flags America...yes it is still a favorite), Griffon, Kinga Ka, Cheetah Hunt and El Toro. Ok others in our group may have different favorites...but those are mine as of now.

So we plan to hit every big ride possible in our two days there. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. We have spent more than planned already on the hotel, so we will need to wait in lines. We'll take advantage of the early park entry on Wednesday, but won't be able to do so on Tuesday afternoon.

Anyway, any recommended plan of attack for Tuesday afternoon? We can just hit at least a few coasters with minimal waits I hope, and then hit the rest of them on Wednesday morning. Then hopefully get Wednesday evening to re-ride favorites.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I have a few tips on where / how to ride certain coasters and a few tips on when to ride them. As far as actual riding tips, this is going to drive everyone here to drink but luckily they only have to listen to me say it for another few weeks. Mean Streak can beat the crap out of you depending on where you ride it. Ride it in the very front row, lean forward with your back off the seat back and you'll have a glass smooth ride.

On Magnum, the lap bars cause thigh pain for a lot of people. Tighten the seatbelts as much as possible to avoid this.

Ride Blue Streak and Gemeni in non-wheel seats. So the middle row of any car (there are 3 rows per car).

Ride Millennium Force in the front at night. Dragster is always a great front seat ride but you're short on time so you might not be able to wait for it. You have Kingda Ka close to home anyway.

Another tip: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT ride Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak, Valravn or Maxair in the morning. You can ride Gatekeeper during Early Entry but it's a waste of Early Entry. All of those rides have massive lines in the morning but by mid afternoon they're much more manageable.

Also, Sky Ride's line moves insanely fast, so don't let a full queue scare you if you want to ride it. It's a great way to get off your feet in such a huge park and offers excellent views.

Have fun! With those tips all the coasters should be very enjoyable (well... except Corkscrew. Corkscrew sucks).

Thanks for the tips. I have them saved to reference easily later. Honestly there are so few wooden coasters we enjoy any more so if we skip some of those here I'll be okay with that. I think one of the worst in recent memory may have been Ghostrider at Knott's Berry Farm (same trip where we visited Magic Mountain) so if I have to skip it that's okay with me. Any other coasters that I should expect some pain? After all I try to avoid several coasters I know these days with the headlock restraints that give me headaches (I'm taking to you Minderaser at SIx Flags America and Anaconda at Kings Dominion). I've done them all before and thy was enough. If I should just skip a few at Cedar Point that won't offer me anything above and beyond and ride others over that is fine. As you mentioned Top Thrill Dragster will pretty much match Kingda Ka so if we miss it...it will be okay.

Overall just hoping to enjoy our first visit here and sounds like it will be worth the trip.