TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

In line for TTD now and after a train launched it looked like a launch cable snapped. I could be wrong but it looked like a 30 foot section of cable was launched up in the air about 100 feet straight up in the air. Obviously the train rolled back. It seems everybody on the train is ok.

Edited by bluestreak

Definitely looks like a cable snap. If so, that'll prolly be a week+ of downtime. If it was Six Flags, probably down for the season.

Glad nobody was hurt. This probably won't be making the news because of that, and that's a good thing.

Guessing the train didn't make it over the top...

It actually is very dangerous to have a cable snap on this type of ride with how much horsepower and tension it has on it. What's crazy to me is the Airforce uses cables the same way with steam power, but they definitely don't seem to be as problematic, otherwise you'd have multi-million dollar jets falling into the water on launch. I'm guessing they have the funds to replace the cable more frequently, where as the park just inspects it and pretty much goes until it breaks. I don't want to say for sure, but I think in the future the cable launch will be discontinued. Considering the costs and danger parks don't want to endure.

If the train came back down, at it's speed backward, having an object like a cable on the track could cause not only immediate stops to cause injury but a possible derailment of the train, kind of like Ninja at Magic Mountain.

Edited by DoubleDown

I was walking under the hill when it happened. All you could hear was a loud bang then metal hitting metal then we looked up at the tower and you could see large white pieces falling. Then a few minutes later security and EMS walking around with flashlights.

Definitely looks like a cable snap. If so, that'll prolly be a week+ of downtime. If it was Six Flags, probably down for the season.

Glad nobody was hurt. This probably won't be making the news because of that, and that's a good thing.

Yes it rolled back. I edited my original post to say so now.

That was honestly really scary to see. I'm so happy everybody seems to be ok.

The investigation might take a week to complete, but they have replacing the cable down to a tee and can have it done overnight if needed. Of course, that's if they have a replacement on site and there wasn't more damage done than just the cable snapping.

I'm guessing they have the funds to replace the cable more frequently, where as the park just inspects it and pretty much goes until it breaks

They replace the cable three times a year.

Source:

Edited by ZeroGravity55

When we walked by roughly 20min after it happened the car was sitting in the pre-launch with the first 4 rows still seated. It looked like everyone was ok but EMS, security and a bunch of other employees were up at the train talking with people

It actually is very dangerous to have a cable snap on this type of ride with how much horsepower and tension it has on it. What's crazy to me is the Airforce uses cables the same way with steam power, but they definitely don't seem to be as problematic, otherwise you'd have multi-million dollar jets falling into the water on launch. I'm guessing they have the funds to replace the cable more frequently, where as the park just inspects it and pretty much goes until it breaks. I don't want to say for sure, but I think in the future the cable launch will be discontinued. Considering the costs and danger parks don't want to endure.

If the train came back down, at it's speed backward, having an object like a cable on the track could cause not only immediate stops to cause injury but a possible derailment of the train, kind of like Ninja at Magic Mountain.

What weapons platform does the Airforce have that launches airplanes with steam power over the water?

I just found the perfect outfit to wear, when Cedar Point has all those

insect infestations "from time to time".

mosquito-netsuit.jpg.9073fd9e83128b50224bd174ee542842.jpg

Now available in Rio for that other little 'pest.'

The investigation might take a week to complete, but they have replacing the cable down to a tee and can have it done overnight if needed. Of course, that's if they have a replacement on site and there wasn't more damage done than just the cable snapping. Oh

Yah, that's what I meant about it being down for a week+. There are more factors at play than just getting the cable replaced.

They replace the cable three times a year.

Source:

Nice! Thanks for that video, I watched the whole thing. Learn something new every day!

^ The cable launch systems on roller coasters are very similar to those used on aircraft carriers. Which is the Navy, not the Air Force, but that's a bit nitpicky.

Yes, I was referring to aircraft carriers. Thought that was clear.

I was planning on riding Dragster this week. Damn.

Honestly, Cedar Point will probably have this fixed much faster than anyone expects them to. They have an incredibly dedicated maintenance team and since they replace the cable multiple times a year they might already have one and already be in the process of installing it. I'm no expert and who knows what else was damaged but you might get lucky on this one. This is the park that replaced Gatekeeper's snapped lift chain in less than 3 days on 2 occasions and fixed Iron Dragon's chain last year in less than a week. At a Six Flags park that would be at least 6 months of downtime (See Goliath at Magic Mountain).

Now I understand this is entirely different than replacing a lift chain, but the point is that you can't ask for a much better maintenance team and they usually exceed expectations when it comes to getting rides re-opened.

It actually is very dangerous to have a cable snap on this type of ride with how much horsepower and tension it has on it. What's crazy to me is the Airforce uses cables the same way with steam power, but they definitely don't seem to be as problematic, otherwise you'd have multi-million dollar jets falling into the water on launch. I'm guessing they have the funds to replace the cable more frequently, where as the park just inspects it and pretty much goes until it breaks.

Also, you have to think that Aircraft carriers do not launch fighter jets every 90 seconds 12 hours a day. There is a ton more stress put onto this system in the long run.

Top Thrill Dragster will re-open tomorrow.

I love Cedar Point.

PS: They're saying it won't open today but they've been known to say that and then surprise everyone. They did the same thing a few weeks ago and opened the ride 15 minutes before park close. There may be a glimmer of hope for anyone there today but the official word is that it won't open.

First timer here...but hoping to hang around more often in the future!

Family and I are taking our FIRST trip to Cedar Point this week. Arriving Tuesday afternoon (driving about 7 hours) and spending Tuesday and Wednesday at the park, coming home Thursday. Staying at Sandcastle Suites (though we were originally slated to stay at Breakers, but AAA booking completely screwed us on that one...story for another day).

Anyway...5 of us total, with kids ranging from 12 to 16 and all thrill seekers. We have been waiting for years to visit this park, just until the kids finally reached the magic 54 inch mark and could do everything. That happened late last summer.

Our history: we are amusement park junkies. Our home park is SFA but we spend little time there, choosing a season pass and then trying to visit SF Great Adventure in NJ every chance we can do so. Therefore we have already BTDT for Kingda Ka this year with the kids and pretty much every other coaster at SFGA already. We did KD just about a week ago so kids finally got to experience I305 and LOVED it. We've also done BG Tampa this year hitting all the big coasters there and did BG Williamsburg last summer to hit up all the big coasters there. A few years ago we visited Six Flags Magic Mountain (kids weren't quite big enough for everything unfortunately) but we loved X2 and Full Throttle was okay...was brand new at the time. We did King's Island two years ago just to ride Banshee but also to enjoy that park for the first time.

Right now favorites among our group are Apollo's Chariot, Superman (at Six Flags America...yes it is still a favorite), Griffon, Kinga Ka, Cheetah Hunt and El Toro. Ok others in our group may have different favorites...but those are mine as of now.

So we plan to hit every big ride possible in our two days there. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. We have spent more than planned already on the hotel, so we will need to wait in lines. We'll take advantage of the early park entry on Wednesday, but won't be able to do so on Tuesday afternoon.

Anyway, any recommended plan of attack for Tuesday afternoon? We can just hit at least a few coasters with minimal waits I hope, and then hit the rest of them on Wednesday morning. Then hopefully get Wednesday evening to re-ride favorites.

Thanks!

^ First off, welcome to TPR.

Honestly both days you are there won't be too bad. You're looking at half hour waits for most rides besides for Maverick and Valravn. Maverick will probably be 50-60 minutes all day. Use early entry on Wednesday to get plenty of rides on Maverick. Valravn tends to be an hour or so all day. It quiets down a bit at the end of the night. Looking at a 30-35 minute wait.

Obviously I can't guarantee that I'm correct with my assumptions but it should be a pretty safe bet.

Have fun!

First timer here...but hoping to hang around more often in the future!

Family and I are taking our FIRST trip to Cedar Point this week. Arriving Tuesday afternoon (driving about 7 hours) and spending Tuesday and Wednesday at the park, coming home Thursday. Staying at Sandcastle Suites (though we were originally slated to stay at Breakers, but AAA booking completely screwed us on that one...story for another day).

Anyway...5 of us total, with kids ranging from 12 to 16 and all thrill seekers. We have been waiting for years to visit this park, just until the kids finally reached the magic 54 inch mark and could do everything. That happened late last summer.

Our history: we are amusement park junkies. Our home park is SFA but we spend little time there, choosing a season pass and then trying to visit SF Great Adventure in NJ every chance we can do so. Therefore we have already BTDT for Kingda Ka this year with the kids and pretty much every other coaster at SFGA already. We did KD just about a week ago so kids finally got to experience I305 and LOVED it. We've also done BG Tampa this year hitting all the big coasters there and did BG Williamsburg last summer to hit up all the big coasters there. A few years ago we visited Six Flags Magic Mountain (kids weren't quite big enough for everything unfortunately) but we loved X2 and YOLOcoaster was okay...was brand new at the time. We did King's Island two years ago just to ride Banshee but also to enjoy that park for the first time.

Right now favorites among our group are Apollo's Chariot, Superman (at Six Flags America...yes it is still a favorite), Griffon, Kinga Ka, Cheetah Hunt and El Toro. Ok others in our group may have different favorites...but those are mine as of now.

So we plan to hit every big ride possible in our two days there. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. We have spent more than planned already on the hotel, so we will need to wait in lines. We'll take advantage of the early park entry on Wednesday, but won't be able to do so on Tuesday afternoon.

Anyway, any recommended plan of attack for Tuesday afternoon? We can just hit at least a few coasters with minimal waits I hope, and then hit the rest of them on Wednesday morning. Then hopefully get Wednesday evening to re-ride favorites.

Thanks!

Welcome!

I have a few tips on where / how to ride certain coasters and a few tips on when to ride them. As far as actual riding tips, this is going to drive everyone here to drink but luckily they only have to listen to me say it for another few weeks. Mean Streak can beat the crap out of you depending on where you ride it. Ride it in the very front row, lean forward with your back off the seat back and you'll have a glass smooth ride.

On Magnum, the lap bars cause thigh pain for a lot of people. Tighten the seatbelts as much as possible to avoid this.

Ride Blue Streak and Gemeni in non-wheel seats. So the middle row of any car (there are 3 rows per car).

Ride Millennium Force in the front at night. Dragster is always a great front seat ride but you're short on time so you might not be able to wait for it. You have Kingda Ka close to home anyway.

Another tip: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT ride Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak, Valravn or Maxair in the morning. You can ride Gatekeeper during Early Entry but it's a waste of Early Entry. All of those rides have massive lines in the morning but by mid afternoon they're much more manageable.

Also, Sky Ride's line moves insanely fast, so don't let a full queue scare you if you want to ride it. It's a great way to get off your feet in such a huge park and offers excellent views.

Have fun! With those tips all the coasters should be very enjoyable (well... except Corkscrew. Corkscrew sucks).

Top Thrill Dragster will re-open tomorrow.

I love Cedar Point.

PS: They're saying it won't open today but they've been known to say that and then surprise everyone. They did the same thing a few weeks ago and opened the ride 15 minutes before park close. There may be a glimmer of hope for anyone there today but the official word is that it won't open.

Omg this amazing. Even though I've got 3 weeks before my trip, I saw the news and was worried it'd be down for a month.