TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I really like Dragster in any seat, and wouldn't recommend waiting for the front if the line is that much longer.

Just because I am curious. . . Were you dropped/thrown on your head as a child??

The front seat on TTD is the only place to sit.

You think there's only one row on TTD and I'M the one that got dropped on his head?!

I was kidding. Front row is great on Dragster. I usually don't wait since I've been on the ride so many times, but any and all first time riders should definitely experience it at least once.

I really like Dragster in any seat, and wouldn't recommend waiting for the front if the line is that much longer.

Just because I am curious. . . Were you dropped/thrown on your head as a child??

You think there's only one row on TTD

There is only one row on Dragster.

We are staying at a super 8 after park hopping from cedar point to kings island, lol. Fast lane plus is definitely worth it!

The super 8 near Kings Island? Ew.

we made that mistake once too.

If you can still change your reservation, I stayed at the Baymont across the highway from Kings Island. It was cheap and actually a decent hotel.

I agree 100% regarding the Baymont Inn recommendation. The wife and I stayed there for Coaster Stock 2015 for $90 per night and were quite pleased with the property. TPR member thrillrider stayed at the Super 8 for the event and had an awful experience and even encountered a bed bug! They are nasty as a huge pain to eliminate!

I normaly don't post hotel pictures, but I am going to make an exception in this case. We stayed at the super 8 hotel near the park, and it was one of the worst rooms we have ever stayed in. I would not recommend staying here. There were bed bugs and all kinds of nasty things.

Here is his trip report:

themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70330&hilit=Coasterstock+2015+at+Kings+Island%21

I don't know how people can stay in sh** hole hotels. I've seen too much sub-human nature to be able to comfortably stay in a $50 hotel room. I've seen the types of things that happen at some of these low budget heroin dens. This is why we have a Hyatt card which we use to pay for almost all of our expenses, before paying it off every month, and we rack up about 10 free nights a year with an annual cost of $75/year. If there's no Hyatt within driving distance we look for a Hilton or a Hampton. If all else fails, we'll very selectively choose a Holiday Inn. Make sure to read online reviews before choosing your hotel. Don't focus on the good reviews as much as the bad reviews. If we see that the majority of 1-2 star ratings have comments like "Four towels per day was not enough" or "Breakfast didn't include lactose free milk" we know we're probably good to go. Consistent reviews of "My room stunk" "The room was not clean" or "Dated rooms" are RED FLAGS. If you read anything at all about bugs STAY AWAY! Congratulations for saving $50/night when it will cost you thousands to properly exterminate a bed bug infestation while forever having an unclean feeling in your bedroom. While some people think $150.00 is expensive for a hotel room, peace of mind is priceless for me.

^ This.

We stayed at that Super 8 last year and the room smelled of Cigarettes even though it was a nonsmoking room and the floor made our feet black. This year for coasterstock we stayed at the Baymont for a little bit more and we were much, much happier.

^^ I largely agree except I recommend jumping between the large chains for example Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, and Hyatt based on the promotions. Earlier this year Marriott was running a promotion where you got a free night if you had two seperate stays, so just make two one night stays. I earned the free night at cheap Fairfield Inns and used it at a hotel next to Magic Mountain charging $200+ on a weekend.

You think there's only one row on TTD

There is only one row on Dragster.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

I've noticed the line for the front for TTD is noticeably shorter in the 2nd station. At least it has been almost all the times I've ridden.

I agree, I never ever go in the first station, I think its because people might think its only one train, and they need to get to the front of the station to get the front row. Also I think there is more queue space for the front row in the second station as well which makes it a little less messy.

And anyone who thinks that the front row is "not worth it" I took my friend to cedar point for the first time, we rode in a non-front seat ONCE. Every time we went in the front seat it was 30 minutes (and 25% of the time also down for maintenance) but it is completely worth it. I think cedar point should just retire the back 8 rows at this point,

I don't know how people can stay in sh** hole hotels. I've seen too much sub-human nature to be able to comfortably stay in a $50 hotel room. I've seen the types of things that happen at some of these low budget heroin dens. This is why we have a Hyatt card which we use to pay for almost all of our expenses, before paying it off every month, and we rack up about 10 free nights a year with an annual cost of $75/year. If there's no Hyatt within driving distance we look for a Hilton or a Hampton. If all else fails, we'll very selectively choose a Holiday Inn. Make sure to read online reviews before choosing your hotel. Don't focus on the good reviews as much as the bad reviews. If we see that the majority of 1-2 star ratings have comments like "Four towels per day was not enough" or "Breakfast didn't include lactose free milk" we know we're probably good to go. Consistent reviews of "My room stunk" "The room was not clean" or "Dated rooms" are RED FLAGS. If you read anything at all about bugs STAY AWAY! Congratulations for saving $50/night when it will cost you thousands to properly exterminate a bed bug infestation while forever having an unclean feeling in your bedroom. While some people think $150.00 is expensive for a hotel room, peace of mind is priceless for me.

^^ To save money, we stayed at the Sandusky Rodeway Inn...Yikes!

On a return trip we did the KOA camping cabins for a few days, and was literally blown away on how peaceful it was.

Stay classy...

Police: Man on acid tries to tackle cop at Cedar Point

SANDUSKY — A Florida teen who was tripping on acid allegedly tried to tackle a Sandusky police officer at Cedar Point Monday afternoon.

Joseph Garofalo, 19, of Vero Beach, was charged with assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, and criminal damaging.

A Cedar Point employee near the Power Tower told officials that a disturbance broke out around 3:30 p.m., after Garofalo approached his drink stand, then began opening various beverages and drinking them.

Garofalo walked off, but returned a moment later and started spitting on the drinks, the employee said, according to a Sandusky police report.

Cedar Point police officers and Sandusky police Sgt. Kevin Youskievicz — who was working a special detail in the park — responded to the complaint.

When Youskievicz approached the stand, he spotted Garofalo leaning over the pop cart and throwing water on himself.

The officer identified himself as law enforcement and Garofalo immediately told him he was “tripping on acid” and kept asking for help, the report stated.

As they were waiting for Cedar Point EMS to arrive, Garofalo was agitated at times, then settled down.

At one point, Garofalo stared at the officer, jumped up from his seat and tried to grab him around the waist. The sergeant took Garofalo to the ground and handcuffed him, the report stated.

While medical personnel were attempting to transport Garofalo, he twice tried to make a run for it, officials said.

Eventually, he was taken to Firelands Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released.

The Cedar Point employee claimed Garofalo's actions at the drink cart caused $313 worth of damages due to Garofalo “opening various drinks and spitting on the others,” the report said.

Garofalo was jailed overnight but has since posted bond.

Sandusky Register

Stay classy...

SANDUSKY — A Florida teen who was tripping on acid allegedly tried to tackle a Sandusky police officer at Cedar Point Monday afternoon.

Joseph Garofalo, 19, of Vero Beach, was charged with assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, and criminal damaging.

A Cedar Point employee near the Power Tower told officials that a disturbance broke out around 3:30 p.m., after Garofalo approached his drink stand, then began opening various beverages and drinking them.

Garofalo walked off, but returned a moment later and started spitting on the drinks, the employee said, according to a Sandusky police report.

Cedar Point police officers and Sandusky police Sgt. Kevin Youskievicz — who was working a special detail in the park — responded to the complaint.

When Youskievicz approached the stand, he spotted Garofalo leaning over the pop cart and throwing water on himself.

The officer identified himself as law enforcement and Garofalo immediately told him he was “tripping on acid” and kept asking for help, the report stated.

As they were waiting for Cedar Point EMS to arrive, Garofalo was agitated at times, then settled down.

At one point, Garofalo stared at the officer, jumped up from his seat and tried to grab him around the waist. The sergeant took Garofalo to the ground and handcuffed him, the report stated.

While medical personnel were attempting to transport Garofalo, he twice tried to make a run for it, officials said.

Eventually, he was taken to Firelands Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released.

The Cedar Point employee claimed Garofalo's actions at the drink cart caused $313 worth of damages due to Garofalo “opening various drinks and spitting on the others,” the report said.

Garofalo was jailed overnight but has since posted bond.

Sandusky Register

^ Talk a about a heroin den - that Rodeway Inn on Sandusky Road is definitely one you want to steer clear of. We made that mistake about eight years ago when we couldn't find any hotels with rooms on the weekend and were just looking for a hotel with a room. While no bed bugs, there were ants in the windowsill of the bathroom, stained carpets and drug deals going on in the parking lots. Nasty!

And don't even bother with the hotel (Quality Inn, I believe) at the Thirsty Pony either as that's about as bad, only they charge you even more because you are at the causeway entrance. TP is a decent place to grab some beers and pub food, but the hotel and indoor "water park" is a POS.

Count me in as another one that has stopped trying to be frugal when it comes to staying in hotels. While Comfort Inn's and Holiday Inn's can be subjective depending on management, like Prozach said, spend the damned money and go for a Hampton or something nicer.

^ Florida again. Yesterday was the flamingo. We need a wall.

What do you mean about needing a wall?

You mean four walls with rooms with bars on them for idiots that break the law? We already have those.

Edit - Sorry for the double post. Didn't mean to do that.

Sorry, but I'm going against the grain again...

I always look for as cheap of a hotel/motel as I can get when I travel, and rarely have bad stays. I stayed at the Motel 6 right off the Turnpike earlier this year, in addition to newly opened Magnuson right near CP (formerly a Days Inn), and both were perfectly fine, and less than $50. I'll gladly take that savings, and invest in something more worthwhile in the park then (though not another waste of money, those blasted Fast Lane passes! ) If there ever is an issue, I'll simply make a note, and go somewhere else. Maybe "making it rain" on things like $100 hotels and Fast Lane works for single enthusiasts, or enthusiast couples with no kids. But when you're a lower middle class enthusiast with a four kids, it's a miracle simply being able to go anywhere at all after paying all the bills. I will say this: if I'm staying somewhere with my kids, I'll spend a little more than I would if I'm just going somewhere myself, or with some other friends. To each their own, but I think there are plenty of decent, low cost places to stay out there, and certainly no shortage near Cedar Point! (I'll be staying in a relatively new Motel 6 when I go next time, less than a 10 minute drive down Cleveland road from CP, which looks pretty nice!)

I've seen a guy tripping on acid at SFOG. He was standing in the very center of the main plaza area spinning around and screaming total nonsense scaring everyone. Fun times. This event sounds extra classy though with the tackling of the officer and spitting in hundreds of dollars worth of drinks.

I hope someone filmed it.

And don't even bother with the hotel (Quality Inn, I believe) at the Thirsty Pony either as that's about as bad, only they charge you even more because you are at the causeway entrance. TP is a decent place to grab some beers and pub food, but the hotel and indoor "water park" is a POS.

Count me in as another one that has stopped trying to be frugal when it comes to staying in hotels. While Comfort Inn's and Holiday Inn's can be subjective depending on management, like Prozach said, spend the damned money and go for a Hampton or something nicer.

I believe that some of the Thirsty Pony Quality Inn building was torn down (I believe that tower was removed) in the off season and was replaced by a brand new Holiday Inn Express, which looks really nice from the outside. Google maps shows that both hotels exist and are connected to the Thirsty Pony, but it does not appear to have been updated since the new hotel opened. Maybe they wanted one cheap hotel and one nice hotel to expand their market base?

Stay classy...

Sandusky Register

So he had about 5 drinks...

^^^ That's interesting that the Holiday Inn would be connected to the Thirsty Pony...is there another tunnel or hallway to it, or do you have to cross through the Quality Inn to get to it? Knowing that the two hotels are owned by two different companies, I would be surprised to see something like this.

^^^^^ I hear ya about the high cost of hotels. We used to do the same thing (although without kids) to be able to do more on more weekends. Now that we have been burned on some of the hotels like Super 8, Motel 6, Ramada Inn, etc...we try to avoid them and go the safe route with a Hampton Inn. Most of the time, they are only anywhere from $20-50 more per night - depending on where you are staying.

I will say that we stayed at the Motel 6 at the Rye Beach Road exit off of Rt. 2 when it was new. While the new decor was horrible to look at, the room was clean as was the hotel. Now that it's been open for several years, I can't say if that is still true or not. Be advised that you are VERY close to the railroad tracks though so if you stay on that side, keep the A/C running all night or you will wake up every time you hear the train whistle!

As Prozach said....be sure to read the online reviews first if you are going to go budget!

I often go with budget motels when traveling alone, but like a few others have said, the recent negative reviews are very important to read. To throw another one out there, last summer I got a really good deal at the Econo Lodge across the street from the Thirsty Pony and had a good experience there. The location was about as good as you can get off the peninsula but for that quality of a motel I wouldn't pay their listed usual price. There are some cheap motels that are acceptable but unless you're careful you can really regret it, and I don't blame those of you who stay away from them.

We signed up with choice hotels and signed up with Marriot. It gives us free rooms and points to redeem towards gift cards. We stay at Rodeway and Days inn alot. We can usually find decent 50 dollar a night rooms. Just read the reviews first. If you go to Cedar Point stay at Breakers Express. It includes your tickets and parking. Little pricey but worth it for the hour early entry

I will say that we stayed at the Motel 6 at the Rye Beach Road exit off of Rt. 2 when it was new. While the new decor was horrible to look at, the room was clean as was the hotel. Now that it's been open for several years, I can't say if that is still true or not. Be advised that you are VERY close to the railroad tracks though so if you stay on that side, keep the A/C running all night or you will wake up every time you hear the train whistle!

As Prozach said....be sure to read the online reviews first if you are going to go budget!

Yes, that's the hotel I'm booked at for my trip in a few weeks! I thought it looked better than most Motel 6's, and the reviews were decent to good, for the most part. Somebody did mention the train noise as well though, so I'll be sure to do that trick with the A/C to help mitigate that!

I often go with budget motels when traveling alone, but like a few others have said, the recent negative reviews are very important to read.

We can usually find decent 50 dollar a night rooms. Just read the reviews first.

Like you all have suggested, I do read the reviews, and do a little research into the hotel before settling on that location. Particularly the recent reviews. I also always book through Expedia, using only Free Cancellation, and Book Now Pay Later hotels, so I can pretty much change my mind right up until a day or so before going. That's come in handy as I've decided against staying in some questionable hotels upon further reflection before!

To throw another one out there, last summer I got a really good deal at the Econo Lodge across the street from the Thirsty Pony and had a good experience there. The location was about as good as you can get off the peninsula but for that quality of a motel I wouldn't pay their listed usual price.

I used to stay there every time I went to Cedar Point, back in the early 2000's. However, the price point then was fantastic, we're talking in the $30-$35 range, so it made it a no-brainer to stay there right at the end of the causeway! Now that their prices have jumped way up, I don't stay there anymore, since you're right, it's not worth what you're paying at this point...

I was actually surprised to see a Holiday Inn Express on the causeway when I went this year. Didn't even know it existed. I have always found it odd that the immediate area around the causeway doesn't have more big name hotels. The Route 250?Sandusky Mall corridor is such a pain to drive through.

Eh. As far as me "making it rain" with hotel rooms, not so much. I pay a $75 annual fee for my Hyatt Platinum card where I get about 50,000 free points per year after putting a ton of my expenses on the card. Hyatt Places are where we usually stay and they are right around the 5,000 point range. Even the least impressive of all of the Hyatt Places we've stayed at are cleaner and nicer than your average hotel. The nicer hotels are the Regencies and Hyatt Houses are more expensive, ranging between 8,000-12,000 points. Destination resorts are around 20,000 points a night. Still, our annual cost = $75.00. Now, I have no idea what the interest rate is, because I don't have credit card debt, nor do I ever intend to. So, if you're the type of person who isn't as responsible with credit cards, you may want to stay away. Otherwise, I use the card to its full advantage, as we're sitting on about 100,000 points right now, or about 20 free nights at Hyatt Houses.

Occasionally there will be no Hyatt within range of where we're going, so we'll opt for a Hampton, Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn (selectively), etc. However, as Hyatt seems to be expanding expanding, this happens less and less. It was really neat when we went to KC in the Spring for WoF, because the Hyatt Place we stayed at had been open for less than a month. Judging by the way things looked, we think we were the first people to ever stay in our room.

As far as when we went to Cedar Point we stayed at a Hyatt Place in Cleveland and drove to CP the following morning. The next two nights we stayed at Breakers. If you want to talk about throwing money away, lets talk about Breakers. All perks aside, the rooms were very underwhelming compared to the Hyatt, at almost double the cost of what a normal Hyatt Place room would cost at normal rate. On the next visit we'll probably stay at the Holiday Inn. It was near Thirsty Pony, but I don't think I remember it being connected. It looked like a pretty decent hotel and it was brand spanking new, which is always a plus.

As said, nope I don't have kids at this point, nor will I for the next few years as long as things go according to the plan. When we eventually do have a kid (no plural) I still plan to stay at nicer hotels, even if that means less trips. I have seen far too much disgusting human nature carried out to not constantly position myself in areas which are exclusive to the types of 'clientele' I deal with. Trust me. Ignorance really is bliss. Enjoy some of the things you don't know or haven't seen. I'm not being a smartass when I say that. We're middle class too (cop and social worker), but due to my CFO (wife), I'm not hesitant to say that we're pretty good with the money we have. Our completely non extravagant affordable house is our only debt, aside from a small amount on her new car which will be paid off by the end of the year, as I don't buy cars that I won't be able to pay off within 6-12 months.

As far as the dude tripping on acid and tackling a cop? If that's the type of sh** that makes headlines, I'll gladly do a lateral transfer to CP PD. That's what I call a Tuesday in my neck of the woods...