TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

How about a new Frontiertown expansion entitled "Wooden Nickel Village" complete with meals cooked on skillets, bread made out of cinnamon, and a wooden roller coaster themed to criminals on the lam?

Frontier town Polarcoaster anybody?!?!?!?

To be fair, they could RMC Mean Streak and still have enough room for a Polercoaster (and a moonshine stand) in the infield.

Could anyone see a topper track conversion rather than I-box? The coaster community has disagreements about whether RMC wood coasters are indeed wood coasters, but it's pretty clear that a hybrid is not, so an Iron Horse conversion would leave Blue Streak as the premier wood coaster at the park. That's the case right now, sure, but I think I'd rather have a big wood coaster if I could.

That would actually be an awesome idea, but I highly doubt any traditional amusement park is ever adding a Polercoaster. They are hugely expensive, and are meant for cities to have a tourist attraction. Maybe a company like Intamin could innovate a park model Polercoaster to break records, but I believe the Orlando one alone is costing hundreds of millions.

So, the much maligned Mean Streak is finally shutting down. I haven't ridden this coaster since 2002, but I actually do have some fond memories of riding it with my family. I actually didn't mind rough coasters back then, but, times change, people want woodies that are smooth as butter, so the older coasters are falling by the wayside.

To be honest though...ever since I discovered Phoenix, I haven't given a single thought to Mean Streak, so I'm not really all that saddened by its closing.

Okay I don't even know where to begin...

Cedar Point tearing down Mean Streak makes sense. Cedar Point point prides itself on building record breaking roller coasters. The current layout does not lend itself to being converted into a record breaking wooden coaster, or RMC hybrid.

Based on what exactly? People said the same thing about Texas giant which was a really similar layout. None of us know what they have planned and none of us know dick about the intricacies of RMC conversions so let's stop speaking with great authority on things we know nothing about. Please...

If they are going to build a record breaker they need to start fresh if they want to build something over 180 ft that goes over 73 mph.

Where the hell did these numbers come from and why would Cedar Point care? Also they extend heights to their coasters all the time. See Wicked Cyclone.

Personally Mean Streak was never as bad as people made it out to be

This was the only thing you got right in this post...

but I understand that it sits on a large plot of land and was never very popular.

image002.jpg

I a surprised that they are presumbly adding back to back roller coasters. I know roller coasters are in their DNA but at some point hey have to branch out to other rides.

By my count they have 28 non coaster rides ranging from family rides to thrill rides (excluding kids rides). That's a huge number.

Tearing down Mean Streak puts them in a double bind where either: A. Families will be mad b/c Cedar Point is adding another major thrilling record breaking coaster

or B. Coaster boys are going to be upset that Cedar Point would take out a roller coaster to add more family rides or expand their hotel properties.

Yeah but they're not because they're RMCing Mean Streak (they didn't spray paint a ton of footers just for fun and it follows the pattern of other conversions). Also, nobody cares about coaster enthusiasts. They bitch about everything regardless of what it is and make up a minuscule percentage of park attendance.

Edited by coasterbill

Could anyone see a topper track conversion rather than I-box? The coaster community has disagreements about whether RMC wood coasters are indeed wood coasters, but it's pretty clear that a hybrid is not, so an Iron Horse conversion would leave Blue Streak as the premier wood coaster at the park. That's the case right now, sure, but I think I'd rather have a big wood coaster if I could.

If I had to guess, they'll do the I-Box for Mean Streak and then end up with a GCI a few years down the line.

I feel like mean streak is too valuable to the park (despite how rough it is).

Oh, yeah, because everyone I talk to about Cedar Point makes sure to say how excited they are to ride Mean Streak.

I'm just happy that Mean Streak is getting demolished. Yes, an RMC replacing it would be awesome, but even if they just decide to replace Mean Streak with a park bench, or a lemonade stand, or a Wacky Worm, all of those things would be an improvement on that spot. Good riddance Mean Streak.

uGpNLN3.gif

Yeah, Cedar Fair likes to be clever when it comes to things like this. I mean we might be overanalyzing here but when it comes to announcements in this industry EVERY. WORD. COUNTS.

Very true. In this case, "Mean Streak gets the axe." OK, let's break it down -

1- Mean. This could mean anything. Get it? MEAN?! MEAN ANYTHING! HA! I'm hilarious.

2 -Streak. Streak of lightning, winning streak, going streaking through the park AH HA!!! I GOT IT! Cedar Point is hosting a Naked Marathon event next year!

3 - Gets. Someone's getting something.

4 - The. Yeah I got nothing.

5 - Axe. Hmmmm, an axe. A cutting tool. Also known as a hatchet. Hatchets are used by Native Americans. Native Americans were named things like Geronimo. Geronimo is something people say when they jump off of things. People jump off of things to have fun or when they get too depressed. People get too depressed when they listen to Insane Clown Posse. Insane Clown Posse uses a hatchet as their symbol. HOLY CRAP GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

Cedar Point is going to build a first of it's kind RMC T-Rex with a drop track section that will be so forceful your clothes will be removed and you'll be forced to streak through the park to the gift shop to buy a whole new outfit!

With all these people talking about nakedness relating to the soon to be deceased Mean Streak, I'm surprised Guy T. Koepp hasn't chimed in yet on the nudity at stake.

In all seriousness, when it does get RMC'd, will the new name relate to Mean Streak, or will they come up with a completely new name. Looking at what RMC did with NTAG, and what they've done since, I can't wait to see what happens here. I'm also waiting to read people complain about the eventual GCI that the park gets after Blue Streak becomes the only wooden coaster at the park.

Well, well, well....this is exciting news. Although I didn't actively dislike Mean Streak (front seat, leaning forward ,) but I didn't find it all that interesting or exciting either. The sad thing is, by the MASSIVE structure and by its appearance, it should be extremely exciting.

Due to its impressive appearance, I don't see them getting rid of it. Put me in the camp of an RMC makeover. I'm sure GCI could do it just fine, but I think CP is would be more likely to have any makeover of Mean Streak be pretty over-the-top and insane, which definitely falls into RMC territory.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth

David

The current layout does not lend itself to being converted into a record breaking wooden coaster, or RMC hybrid.

Disagree. Mean Streak does lend itself to that. Mean Streak's overall layout is similar to the Texas Giant, which was the first RMC transformation.

I agree. My point was that Cedar Point tends to build record breaking roller coasters. If they want to break the World Record for tallest woodie they would have to build a drop that is taller than 197 feet (218 feet if they wanted to top Son of Beast). That would be a 36-57 foot first drop increase. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it is not practical.

^^I've never heard of an amusement park having a "funeral" for a ride! RIP Mean Streak, hello RMC "Meaner Streak" coaster!

I guess they kinda had one for Son of Beast... They have a tombstone for it next to Banshee where it once stood.

^^I've never heard of an amusement park having a "funeral" for a ride! RIP Mean Streak, hello RMC "Meaner Streak" coaster!

I guess they kinda had one for Son of Beast... They have a tombstone for it next to Banshee where it once stood.

The current layout does not lend itself to being converted into a record breaking wooden coaster, or RMC hybrid.

Disagree. Mean Streak does lend itself to that. Mean Streak's overall layout is similar to the Texas Giant, which was the first RMC transformation.

I agree. My point was that Cedar Point tends to build record breaking roller coasters. If they want to break the World Record for tallest woodie they would have to build a drop that is taller than 197 feet (218 feet if they wanted to top Son of Beast). That would be a 36-57 foot first drop increase. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it is not practical.

Its not impractical. Its wood, very easy to shorten or increase. RMC could easily make it 200 plus feet tall. Im no way saying thats whats going on, just saying that its easier then you prly think

Based on the location of the track that goes under the drop, they would have to increase the height somehow so the drop will clear the below track, or make some kind of double down drop. Just my opinion from when I was looking at the layout.

If they want to break the World Record for tallest woodie they would have to build a drop that is taller than 197 feet (218 feet if they wanted to top Son of Beast). That would be a 36-57 foot first drop increase. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it is not practical.

1) They probably don't care

2) It wouldn't be a wooden coaster.

3) You have no idea if it's practical. You're not an engineer. Neither am I. Let's leave it to the people that know what the hell they're talking about.

Awesome! Now all I need is an announcement of Hurler being turned into firewood and my two arch nemesises in the form of coasters are gone!

But seriously, Cedar Point would be making a huge mistake by not RMC'ing this ride.

Let's be serious for a moment... It's not going to be a GCI reprofile... At least not like legend or ghost rider.... Both of those were announced as that being what's going on... This is talking about mean streak getting the axe, not getting reprofile.