TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Did you comment a similar thing on facebook? I saw a comment on Cedar Point's post regarding this with the exact same info - left at 9 and never heard a thing about it while there.

Nope, I haven't posted anything about it on any social media.

On another note, how long should this take to repair? I paid for tomorrow in advance and am travelling for 7 hours to get there, and would be really disappointed if I went there to find it closed.

As I'm sure you've read by now, you should be good. Cedar Point will still open at 10am today, however Soak City will not open today, nor will there be any early entry.

Heads up to anybody going to the park this morning. Traffic is backed up to castaway Bay to get on the causeway. Not sure if the causeway is blocked off or what...

*edit* causeway is down to one lane for part of the way. Not many people in the parking lot.

Could they be announcing an RMC mean streak?

I highly doubt it. First of all, they just added Valravn this year, so I don't see another coaster until at least 2018. Second of all, Cedar Fair's good relationship with GCI is just telling me that they will be the ones to touch Mean Streak, IF it happens.

Of course, you never know. I could be wrong. An RMC Mean Streak would be pretty sick though.

A GCI retrack of Mean Streak would probably be the lamest news this year. GCI retracks of Ghostrider and The Lengend made perfect sense because those were once top 10 rides that just needed some TLC. Mean Streak?? Not so much

Like I've said before, I think CP needs to take a break from coasters. They've gotten a coaster or coaster transformation for each year since 2013!

2013- Gatekeeper

2014- Pipe Scream (questionable year, I think it's close enough to a coaster)

2015- Rougarou

2016- Valrvn

In those years, the only family rides they have gotten are Lake Erie Eagles and Pipe Scream and there weren't any new rides at Soak City. I think they need to focus on family/children rides and Soak City.

Now, I would like to see a Mean Streak RMC transformation, but I'm not sure it's the best thing this year. Maybe Mean Streak has gotten to the point where it's not worth the cost to run it because it seems to have less riders than nearly anything else. If that's the case, then I understand doing it now. Also, I think it might be coming now because of how early this announcement is. If it was water park expansions or new flat rides I don't think they would make an announcement on August 1.

If I had to guess, I would expect them to announce a ride closure tomorrow (Mean Streak seems like the most likely ride to close). They would probably keep the closing ride open until the end of Cedar Point Nights (8/14). At about that time, I would expect them to announce the replacement for the closed ride.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they had multiple projects this for 2017. I think this announcement is for the most major project and then they could potentially be getting a new or relocated slide(s) at Soak City.

But, knowing the amusement industry, everything I just said is probably wrong .

Just posted this last night. This is my interpretation of what Cedar Point could do with Mean Streak if GCI got their hands on it. You wouldn't have to change much layout wise to turn it into a really good wood coaster. I just made the first drop steeper, added some high banking and more airtime hills, and lowered the track elevation in a few spots to make it a faster ride. The footprint is pretty much identical to the current version of the ride.

Ha! Just walked past the TPR crowd on my way out of the park. Going to head to Kings Island to see if I can get a night ride or two on The Beast. Great CP trip and will post thoughts soon, but I think I liked Valravn the most out of everything I rode. Plus, fast pass plus was awesome for that ride.

Like I've said before, I think CP needs to take a break from coasters. They've gotten a coaster or coaster transformation for each year since 2013!

To be fair, before Gatekeeper, they had gone 6 years without any coaster, and even removed 2 in that span. That's very uncharacteristic for the "Coaster Capital of the World." I like the direction they've gone the past few years, they've played catch-up a bit, but have also drastically increased the quality of their coaster collection.

Just a hunch but I feel like if they do anything major with Mean Streak in the near future it won't be GCI. Ghostrider at least used to be a good ride and they knew that. Mean Streak was never better than decent (and I have no idea when the last time it was very popular was) so I imagine they understand they wouldn't get a huge response out of making Mean Streak "decent" again.

So I drove 7 hours to Cedar Point, only for them to say the hotel is shut down, and then they force us to drive for 10 more minutes down the road to a mediocre hotel, and downgraded my room from a suite to a regular room, which has taken away hours away from my time at the park. I have been planning this trip since April of LAST YEAR. Should I try and get something in exchange for them sending out the email so late (as in it was 10 AM Eastern Time when it was sent)?

^ There must have been a big reason why the hotel was shut down so I assume that they sent you to Breakers Express or Castaway Bay? I would have thought that they might have offered a perk like a free ticket, free parking or Fast Lane or something as a result of the unplanned shutdown and inconvenience.

^ There must have been a big reason why the hotel was shut down so I assume that they sent you to Breakers Express or Castaway Bay? I would have thought that they might have offered a perk like a free ticket, free parking or Fast Lane or something as a result of the unplanned shutdown and inconvenience.

They didn't send us there. They sent us to a place called Sawmill Creek Resort about 5 miles down the road.

Just posted this last night. This is my interpretation of what Cedar Point could do with Mean Streak if GCI got their hands on it. You wouldn't have to change much layout wise to turn it into a really good wood coaster. I just made the first drop steeper, added some high banking and more airtime hills, and lowered the track elevation in a few spots to make it a faster ride. The footprint is pretty much identical to the current version of the ride.

I enjoyed watching your faithful interpretation (great job with it!), but that kind of conservatism looks closer to "big off-season rehab" than something newsworthy that will make Mean Streak on par with CP's other headliners -- oh, and that potential is certainly there. I like that GCI came in and did well with GhostRider, but unlike GhostRider, a brakeless/painless Mean Streak might still not get it regarded above the bottom-half of CP's collection.

We all know what the answer is, and it can't come soon enough. The park dumped Disaster Transport, swapped restraints on Maverick, swapped trains on Mantis, and added two huge B&M coasters, yet Mean Streak still sits in the waiting room of mediocrity year after year. New Texas Giant has been open for five years now. As a big GCI fan, a "Mean Tweak" from them would look more like an indictment of RMC by Cedar Fair than a commendation of GCI. Mean Streak is the #1 RMC plastic surgery coaster candidate at a major park, and it could be a top ride in the world. There's no way to scoff at that potential.

Cedar Point, RMC: Put down the cups of punch, get off the bleachers, stop playing hard to get, and head to the dance floor already, you two lovebirds!

Since everyone is yammering about how Mean Streak should get RMC'd instead of GCI'd (I completely agree). My biggest question is: how would CoasterBill take the news? Would he swear off CP forever, or would he embrace the fate of his beloved?

Since everyone is yammering about how Mean Streak should get RMC'd instead of GCI'd (I completely agree). My biggest question is: how would CoasterBill take the news? Would he swear off CP forever, or would he embrace the fate of his beloved?

I think he'd just stop leaning forwards.

I enjoyed watching your faithful interpretation (great job with it!), but that kind of conservatism looks closer to "big off-season rehab" than something newsworthy that will make Mean Streak on par with CP's other headliners -- oh, and that potential is certainly there. I like that GCI came in and did well with GhostRider, but unlike GhostRider, a brakeless/painless Mean Streak might still not get it regarded above the bottom-half of CP's collection.

We all know what the answer is, and it can't come soon enough. The park dumped Disaster Transport, swapped restraints on Maverick, swapped trains on Mantis, and added two huge B&M coasters, yet Mean Streak still sits in the waiting room of mediocrity year after year. New Texas Giant has been open for five years now. As a big GCI fan, a "Mean Tweak" from them would look more like an indictment of RMC by Cedar Fair than a commendation of GCI. Mean Streak is the #1 RMC plastic surgery coaster candidate at a major park, and it could be a top ride in the world. There's no way to scoff at that potential.

Cedar Point, RMC: Put down the cups of punch, get off the bleachers, stop playing hard to get, and head to the dance floor already, you two lovebirds!

THIS!