TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Yeah I went ahead and bought a FL+ ahead of time knowing that even if the longest line was 20 minutes it would be worth it to me- do note that some rides' FL lines are a little weird. MF's only gets you halfway through the queue and Iron Dragon doesn't have one at all. However the busiest rides like Maverick, TTD, and Valravn get you right to the station and end up saving a ton of time.

do note that some rides' FL lines are a little weird. MF's only gets you halfway through the queue and Iron Dragon doesn't have one at all. However the busiest rides like Maverick, TTD, and Valravn get you right to the station and end up saving a ton of time.

That's very helpful! Thanks for the tip!

"Halfway through the queue" is a bit of an exaggeration. It drops you at the entrance of the ramp which is a pretty consistent 5-10 minute wait, tops. Millennium Force really pushes out trains quickly.

Maverick doesn't necessarily drop you right into the station. It's a separate entrance ramp where a grouper alternates between allowing the standby and Fast Lane queues into the station wherever you like. For me that was about a 20 minute wait during the afternoon.

"Halfway through the queue" is a bit of an exaggeration. It drops you at the entrance of the ramp which is a pretty consistent 5-10 minute wait, tops. Millennium Force really pushes out trains quickly.

Maverick doesn't necessarily drop you right into the station. It's a separate entrance ramp where a grouper alternates between allowing the standby and Fast Lane queues into the station wherever you like. For me that was about a 20 minute wait during the afternoon.

Thanks for clarification! It does seem like experiences with passes can vary, so both your perspectives are especially helpful! Are there any rides that I should be aware of that having a fast lane plus pass won't help with at all? When I visited SFoT, Runaway Mountain was one example — it was a 90 minute wait no matter what. It sounds like Iron Dragon is the anomaly here although I can't imagine lines ever get too crazy for that.

When I was there, the MF line was always about at the FL+ merge point anyway (and yes they push trains out insanely fast, so it's never much of a wait anyway), but it is something to note. For Maverick on a less busy day (normal line was around 30 minutes) the FL+ queue was only 5 minutes for the front row. It all depends on the crowds which is why it's best to budget for FL but not commit until you're sure.

I've been here the past two days and it's been a huge contrast.

Yesterday was pretty dead as Valravn was only a 30 min wait around 3PM (only thru the very first tiny set of switchbacks). MF was 20 min or so (2 switchbacks past the FL merge point). Maverick was 35-40 all day but never a line for FL. It was amazing! TTD didn't get longer than on the ramp all day.

Today, not so much.

Valravn has been 90min-2hr all day, Maverick is 90-100 min with a long line for FL. It was all the way down the steps and basically to the FL entrance to the ride the whole time I was there in the standby line. MF was almost an hour (through a whole switchback set and 4 switchbacks in the second set) and the entire park feels much more crowded. Still fun and great weather though!

Plus, it would be nice to shy away from B&M after B&M after B&M.

It's only been two B&Ms in a row. They still have more Arrow and Intamin coasters than B&M.

Shhhhhhh! We aren't allowed to defect from the requisite B&M hate train!

Valravn has been 90min-2hr all day, Maverick is 90-100 min with a long line for FL. It was all the way down the steps and basically to the FL entrance to the ride the whole time I was there in the standby line. MF was almost an hour (through a whole switchback set and 4 switchbacks in the second set) and the entire park feels much more crowded. Still fun and great weather though!

Yikes! This makes it sound like the FL+ isn't that sweet of a deal after all! The only other time I've ever bought a super-pricey FL+ equivalent kind of thing at a park was at SFoT and there were a couple of rides where the wait was still fairly significant even with the pass, but that was largely due to poor queue design and lots of new staff who had no idea what was going on. Both Pandemonium and Justice League shared a line for both FP and single rider to the point where both lines were spilling way out beyond the designated queue area and nobody knew which was which (staff included). Hopefully things are a little more organized at CP!

Edited by Arthur_Seaton

It's only been two B&Ms in a row. They still have more Arrow and Intamin coasters than B&M.

Technically 3 if you count Rougarou. And I was speaking about Cedar Fair in general, not particularly Cedar Point.

Technically 3 if you count Rougarou. And I was speaking about Cedar Fair in general, not particularly Cedar Point.

I was counting Rougarou. I was considering Pipe Scream a coaster haha, just kidding.

Yeah I definitely didn't think of Rougarou. But either way, I will never complain a park getting B&M coasters no matter how many they have done. They are by far my favorite coasters. I love how smooth, intense, and reliable they are.

Got to try the VR on Iron Dragon tonight. It was amazing!! It beats out The New Revolution by a landslide, both operations and the video itself. Video-wise, you were riding in a horse drawn carriage and suddenly get picked up by a flying creature. You dive into caves and there are a few jump scares where a huge dragon pops out and tries to bite and eat you! These were executed well! I won't spoil the ending, but it's really cool. The video also followed your particular car much better than it did for TNR. The calibration was also different than it was at Six Flags. Instead of calibrating with a QR code on the back of the row in front of you, it calibrated with the phone's location services and CP's in park wifi. It could tell what car you were in by the location and calibrate appropriately, and it was accurate while I was there. The quality was actually really good as well, not blurry at all!

Operations-wise, they were only running one train for the preview, but they were still being very efficient. The train was in the station for probably 2 minutes or less, and they were dispatching faster with one train than Six Flags Magic Mountain does with two so... cool! They helped you adjust the headset while you were waiting in line that way it would be super fast to put on once on the ride, and it worked well! They checked that all were working as well. The headsets don't come with lanyards like they do at SFMM but they do have an extra plastic cover over the phone itself and aren't just ziptied on. After the ride was over, ride ops collected the headsets from the right (load) side before unloading, unlocking each car manually as they went, allowing the process to go faster. This allowed the headsets to get to cleaning much faster than when they are collected on the opposite side after unload.

Overall, the process was really efficient and I really enjoyed the VR on Iron Dragon, unlike The New Revolution which was really boring, slow, and underwhelming. That made me think that VR coasters were a terrible idea, but I think this could be a big hit and that it would be a good step for CP go introdicd this. I believe that they could run it efficient as well, as they were doing a great job today and it was only the 5th day of testing.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about it.

I had a great day at Cedar Point Yesterday. Valravn its a great coaster but not one of my top coasters. Riding in the front is defiantly a must do, but the back has more airtime. Rougarou is much better than when it was Mantis. Also got to ride Millennium Force at night, what an experience that was, especially in the back seat. I also got to meet FreeFaller when he was working on Millennium Force. He is very friendly guy, it was awesome meeting him in person.

My ride count for the day (fast lane really helped out)

Millennium Force X4

Valravn X3

Top Thrill Dragster X2

Maverick X2

Rougarou X2

Gatekeeper X1

Raptor X1

Wicked Twister X1

Gemini X1 red side

Magnum X1

Non coasters

Windseeker X1

It's not at all surprising that Cedar Fair is doing an infinitely better job with this than Six Flags.

Wow your such a fanboy.

It's not called "being a fanboy." It's called being honest. Lerst face it, Cedar Fair always. . . ALWAYS does a better job than Six Flags. And thats not "fanboying" it's speaking the truth.

It's not at all surprising that Cedar Fair is doing an infinitely better job with this than Six Flags.

Wow your such a fanboy.

No. I'm a realist. I'm pretty sure most parks would do a better job than Six Flags. Cedar Point though (as far as corporate parks go) is one of the better ones in terms of efficiency.

Wow your such a fanboy.

No. I'm a realist. I'm pretty sure most parks would do a better job than Six Flags. Cedar Point though (as far as corporate parks go) is one of the better ones in terms of efficiency.

I'd actually probably say that Cedar Point is actually the best park in terms of operations that I've been to. Kings Island and Holiday World come close but everywhere else I've been is average at best.

I am actually excited to check out VR in a few weeks! Also, which coaster should I save for my big 50?

Make sure you have health insurance, plan for retirement, get real serious about keeping kids off your lawn, maybe layoff the sugar, stop caring about memes.

I am actually excited to check out VR in a few weeks! Also, which coaster should I save for my big 50?

I did MF for #50 as we went to Maverick first and then I realized that I was at 48, so we did Rougarou to make MF #50. I'd say go for either Maverick, MF, TTD, or Magnum but honestly it's up to you and it doesn't matter that much.

I would say make your 50th whatevers convenient for you, because it's more important to relax and enjoy your time in a park you don't get to often than to worry about "credits" that don't actually get you credit for anything. That's just me though, so what makes you happy.