TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It'd be cool to experience the full-scale version.

Its not that special. The food is great but the original is just a corner bar.

http://chickiesandpetes.com/location/the-original-at-robbins-ave/

There are like 10 of them all over Philly tho, I work in South Philly, Im about a 5 minute walk from that location.

A corner bar with great food is my idea of special!

For the record, the park versions are vastly inferior to the real ones with a much smaller menu. I still really like the Crab Fries though. Old Bay is truly an amazing thing (um.. I mean their "patented blend of spices" or whatever).

It wouldn't set any records unless it had a launch that got the top speed faster than Lightning Rod. I mostly doubt that this would happen, but Cedar Point's MO is to break records, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Iron Streak had LSMs.

If the RMC rumors are true, I think Cedar Fair might have a different outlook on these conversions than Six Flags. Six Flags looks at these conversions as "brand new rides", which they essentially are. Cedar Fair might be looking at these conversions as a remodeling of an existing ride, which is true too. If they advertise it as a remodeling of Mean Streak, there is no need to for them to set any records for them to see a return on their investment. Cedar Fair and Knotts were able to sell the remodeling of Ghostrider and just glancing at the Knotts thread, it looks as if the ride is pulling an hour plus line consistently since it's re-opened (I say that with no prior knowledge to how the lines for GR were before it closed for the remodeling, so someone please let me know if the ride had similar wait times before.)

It wouldn't set any records unless it had a launch that got the top speed faster than Lightning Rod. I mostly doubt that this would happen, but Cedar Point's MO is to break records, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Iron Streak had LSMs.

If the RMC rumors are true, I think Cedar Fair might have a different outlook on these conversions than Six Flags. Six Flags looks at these conversions as "brand new rides", which they essentially are. Cedar Fair might be looking at these conversions as a remodeling of an existing ride, which is true too. If they advertise it as a remodeling of Mean Streak, there is no need to for them to set any records for them to see a return on their investment. Cedar Fair and Knotts were able to sell the remodeling of Ghostrider and just glancing at the Knotts thread, it looks as if the ride is pulling an hour plus line consistently since it's re-opened (I say that with no prior knowledge to how the lines for GR were before it closed for the remodeling, so someone please let me know if the ride had similar wait times before.)

Um... Rougarou. Just saying.

Um... Rougarou. Just saying.

Who cares how they market it? They should do whatever they need to do to make these conversions feasible. The Rougarou transformation was awesome. As far as I'm concerned if you take a ride that's so bad I wouldn't ride it no matter what and replace it with a fun coaster that's a "must-ride" on every trip then it's essentially a new coaster to me anyway.

^They actually marketed Rougarou as a brand new ride, not as a remodeled Mantis. At this point though I would much rather they do a Son of Beast to Mean Streak and start over with something new.

You missed my point. I answered the question as to how CP would market a makeover of Mean Streak

Question(s) for CP experts. Is every park entrance open at 9 am for hotel/Platinum ERT? Which one should I pick if I want to ride Valravn first, and which parking lot would be ideal for that entrance (assuming I can choose)?

Also, is it rare for Fast Lane+ to sell out midweek, even at the end of July?

Thanks!

Park in the normal parking lot, and walk to the marina gate. The marina gate is actually under Valravn, so you're pretty much there the second the gates open.

Try and get to the park about 20-30 minutes early, because it's about a 10 minute walk from the parking lot to the gate, and you also want to be one of the first ones at the gate, because a line does develop to get in, and Valravn can jump up to a 45 minute wait pretty fast.

Park in the normal parking lot, and walk to the marina gate. The marina gate is actually under Valravn, so you're pretty much there the second the gates open.

Try and get to the park about 20-30 minutes early, because it's about a 10 minute walk from the parking lot to the gate, and you also want to be one of the first ones at the gate, because a line does develop to get in, and Valravn can jump up to a 45 minute wait pretty fast.

This is great. Thanks so much.

Great advice! I think we might try this on our upcoming visit!!

^They actually marketed Rougarou as a brand new ride, not as a remodeled Mantis. At this point though I would much rather they do a Son of Beast to Mean Streak and start over with something new.

Umm, have you ever ridden an RMC conversion? Most of the RMC conversions have been better than the majority of new rides to have come out in the last five years. And if anything, Mean Streak has some of the most potential for a great conversion of any wood coaster. Literally every coaster that I could think would have more potential then Mean Streak would probably be designs that are too classic or already good enough so that they would likely never get a conversion. (As in, The Voyage, Boulder Dash, and especially The Beast).

Son of Beast may have actually gotten the RMC treatment, had that technology existed earlier. The problem was that Son of Beast was in such bad shape by the end that it would have costed over $20 million to do the conversion, which is basically the cost of a whole new coaster. With all that in mind, it made sense for Kings Island to start over with a different coaster. But as bad as Mean Streak's layout is, it has no major structural or design issues as far as we know.

Umm, have you ever ridden an RMC conversion? Most of the RMC conversions have been better than the majority of new rides to have come out in the last five years. And if anything, Mean Streak has some of the most potential for a great conversion of any wood coaster. Literally every coaster that I could think would have more potential then Mean Streak would probably be designs that are too classic or already good enough so that they would likely never get a conversion. (As in, The Voyage, Boulder Dash, and especially The Beast).

Son of Beast may have actually gotten the RMC treatment, had that technology existed earlier. The problem was that Son of Beast was in such bad shape by the end that it would have costed over $20 million to do the conversion, which is basically the cost of a whole new coaster. With all that in mind, it made sense for Kings Island to start over with a different coaster. But as bad as Mean Streak's layout is, it has no major structural or design issues as far as we know.

Mean Streak is almost identical to the old Texas Giant and NTaG is easily one of the best coasters I've ridden and RMC anything would easily be in the top coasters in the park up there with MF, Maverick, and Raptor.

Have to agree with the people hoping and believing that it'll be an RMC. I actually feel like the people wanting another company haven't experienced an RMC yet. The ones I rode have literally been some of my top coasters. They are so much fun, smooth, fast, and tons of airtime! Lol

RMC would make the lineup so much better it's ridiculous. I've said this before, but I'd spend about half my time in that section of the park between RMC Streak and Maverick. This is after only riding Twisted Colossus and Goliath... Two lesser RMCs

Tbh if Mean Streak was RMCed it would totally have the potential to be the best coaster in the park. I doubt it'll be a 2017 thing but I think it will happen eventually, or some other extreme rehab.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! I don't think it will be 2017, but do see it happening in 2018, and I do think it will take the #1 spot in the park, just based on how close Storm Chaser was to Maverick and MF already for me, and people say that's one of the tamer RMC coasters. This very fact, is why I honestly can't fathom CP NOT RMC'ing Mean Streak soon, as they are all about going big (unlike Six Flags, which just uses that term as a slogan), and being the best, and RMC Streak will do that for them, unlike GCI Streak, or leaving it as is.

The only RMC I have ridden is Wicked Cyclone and that wasn't until this year. I was excited to ride it, but it blew me away. I was very impressed how a ride so small in stature can be such a mind-blowing, fast-paced ride. Mean Streak has another 50 feet in height so I cannot imagine RMC Streak not being the best in the park, unless they really botch it. One good effect is it may absorb some of the lines in the back of the park, leaving Maverick a little less busy.

I would love to see a full RMC makeover of Mean Streak (like Texas Giant), as well as a new awesome GCI woodie in Shoot the Rapids' spot at some point. Obviously in different years and spaced apart, but adding a good woodie and RMCing their mediocre one would really round out their collection. Plus, it would be nice to shy away from B&M after B&M after B&M.

Sorry to be the noob guy but I'll be visiting CP for the first time a week from Sunday and will take advantage of pass holder early entry and wanted to solicit a bit of advice. I plan to buy a Fast Lane Plus pass to ensure that I'm able to get on everything as much as I want, but I'm curious as to wether I should use that first hour to jump on some rides (MF, Maverick, Valravn) or go straight to the Fast Lane booth (wherever that is). Although I can't imagine the park will be hella-packed on the day I'm there, I don't want to risk not grabbing a FL pass before they sell out. Any tips? I'm thinking buy pass > MF > Maverick?

If you're using early entry, then go Maverick->Millennium Force. After that then you can do Rougarou if you'd like (since it's right in the area). Once opening time rolls around, then you can go check crowds and decide whether or not you'll need FL+. Rides that will pull the longest lines throughout the day are Valravn, TTD and Maverick and these are where you probably want to use FL the most. I was there on a dead day (TTD walk-on all but front row), but FL+ skipped a 90 minute wait for Valravn and a 30 minute wait for Maverick while everything else was pretty much a walk-on or station wait.

If you're using early entry, then go Maverick->Millennium Force. After that then you can do Rougarou if you'd like (since it's right in the area). Once opening time rolls around, then you can go check crowds and decide whether or not you'll need FL+. Rides that will pull the longest lines throughout the day are Valravn, TTD and Maverick and these are where you probably want to use FL the most. I was there on a dead day (TTD walk-on all but front row), but FL+ skipped a 90 minute wait for Valravn and a 30 minute wait for Maverick while everything else was pretty much a walk-on or station wait.

Thanks! Waiting to gauge crowds seems like a smart move, but I think I'm just going to suck it up and splurge on a pass so that I can ride everything like a million times. Maverick to MF sequence duly noted!