TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

You're all missing the thread that ties these together. You're stuck in the categories of looping, family, etc. And that's not how Six Flags sees things at all. There are two categories of coasters they've put VR on:

Coasters themed to Superman get the Superman VR

Coasters that are underperforming get the New Revolution VR

The logic behind the Superman VR is all about maximizing the potential of the IP. They don't care what the coaster is or what it does; they're just tapping the brand.

By underperforming, I mean in the business sense, as in an asset that has the potential for a certain amount of revenue but is actually bringing in less than desired. BTW, that's the same logic that Cedar Fair used when they identified their growth markets. It doesn't mean markets where they'll rapidly expand; it means markets where the revenue potential is much higher than the actual revenue.

There's your business lesson for the day. Now back to your regularly scheduled argument, already in progress.

That makes perfect sense from Six Flag's (or any corporation)'s point of view. Thank you for saying that.

On the other hand, just because it makes more sense from a business perspective doesn't make it any better from the customer's perspective when you have to wait more than two hours for Ride of Steel because of a headset that you don't plan to use.

You're all missing the thread that ties these together. You're stuck in the categories of looping, family, etc. And that's not how Six Flags sees things at all. There are two categories of coasters they've put VR on:

The logic behind the Superman VR is all about maximizing the potential of the IP. They don't care what the coaster is or what it does; they're just tapping the brand.

By underperforming, I mean in the business sense, as in an asset that has the potential for a certain amount of revenue but is actually bringing in less than desired. BTW, that's the same logic that Cedar Fair used when they identified their growth markets. It doesn't mean markets where they'll rapidly expand; it means markets where the revenue potential is much higher than the actual revenue.

There's your business lesson for the day. Now back to your regularly scheduled argument, already in progress.

This is mostly correct but you may be giving them a little too much credit in a few instances. There is no justification for putting this on Goliath at La Ronde or on Raging Bull. It's being tested on Nitro too and that's also a terrible idea. Otherwise I agree with you for the most part, but in those cases they put VR on some of the most popular rides in the park that were already drawing people in. I would love to know the thought process behind those.

Bill beat me to the punch... Took the words right out of my mouth....

This is mostly correct but you may be giving them a little too much credit in a few instances. There is no justification for putting this on Goliath at La Ronde or on Raging Bull. It's being tested on Nitro too and that's also a terrible idea. Otherwise I agree with you for the most part, but in those cases they put VR on some of the most popular rides in the park that were already drawing people in. I would love to know the thought process behind those.

Yeah, good point. Perhaps that thought process completely stopped after the first round. Basically now it's "VR is wildly successful! What else can we do with it?" Remember, Six Flags doesn't actually care if you enjoyed your day. It's all about the numbers. The more people they get in the park, the more advertising money they get. The more people ride a certain ride, the more money from the adverts in/on/around that ride. They're a lot like a broadcasting company in that sense. A network doesn't care if anyone watching likes the show; they just care how many people are watching. They only start to care when people decide not to tune in next week. So, when considering whether a venture is successful, Six Flags is only going to look at how many people it brought in, not how those people felt about that venture. It's a pretty sound business model, really: Continually add new stuff, sell passes for dirt cheap, and plaster the park with adverts. That's how they make their money.

Cedar Fair is going to do it differently because they have a different business model. They have very little advertising and higher prices on season passes. For that business model to work, people have to feel like their experience is good enough to justify the cost. I would say it's totally worth the extra money--and this is really important--I have to feel that way for their business model to work. If I feel like they've done a lousy job, I'm not going to come back next year, and they lose out on that revenue.

I think enthusiasts often feel like "Cedar Fair cares" and "Six Flags sucks" but the important thing to remember is that they're both pretty good at achieving what they want--they just want different things.

It's a great fit for Iron Dragon. I probably won't wear it much because I think VR is stupid and I actually enjoy Iron Dragon as-is but putting it on a lower tier coaster makes so much more sense than what Six Flags is doing. Plus I'm sure Cedar Point will find a way to make it a much more efficient loading process.

This 10000x.... Six Flags needs to learn something from Cedar Fair

yet to open and already you are sure cedar point will not create long queues. ahhh the fanboy, bad people

^very true. I also think SF is better at adding small new stuff to all of their parks while keeping the investments economical while CF is focusing on their flagship parks with bigger and more expensive additions and leaving the lower-tier parks to dry. Both seem to be recovering from the recession still, but CF's higher prices do seem to be allowing them more freedom.

(note, I'm no economics expert so this is entirely observation and slightly-educated guesses)

yet to open and already you are sure cedar point will not create long queues. ahhh the fanboy, bad people

I mean, Cedar Point and the CF chain in general (at least CP and KI where I've been) do have operations that are waaay better than those at Six Flags. While I agree that the VR probably isn't going to exactly maximize capacity on Iron Dragon, I'm almost certain they'll handle it better than SF which already had average to below-average operations.

Hate to interrupt any speculation or anything interesting, but I am a CF employee and will be taking a trip to CP in 3-4 weeks! I will be there on a tuesday and a wednesday and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me while I'm at the park. I will probably get the fast lane and I just wanted to know some things that could help me out! Thanks!

Can't wait to visit this amazing park! - Mike

Hate to interrupt any speculation or anything interesting, but I am a CF employee and will be taking a trip to CP in 3-4 weeks! I will be there on a tuesday and a wednesday and was wondering if anyone had any tips for me while I'm at the park. I will probably get the fast lane and I just wanted to know some things that could help me out! Thanks!

Hit the back of the park first. GateKeeper, Raptor, Valravn etc. are very busy during the morning hours. However, if you're planning on getting Fast Lane Plus, you won't have to worry so much about lines on the busy coasters, so it wouldn't matter much.

Valravn, Maverick, GateKeeper,and Top Thrill Dragster all require Fast Lane Plus (while the other coasters are obviously fine with just normal Fast Lane). The park isn't busy on Tuesdays or Wednesdays anyway.

My personal favorite ride at CP is Millennium Force. Definitely ride it!

Cedar Point is quite similar to other Cedar Fair parks except there are more coasters/rides (obviously) and it's busier, so you shouldn't have much of a problem. Enjoy your time there!

Hit the back of the park first. GateKeeper, Raptor, Valravn etc. are very busy during the morning hours. However, if you're planning on getting Fast Lane Plus, you won't have to worry so much about lines on the busy coasters, so it wouldn't matter much.

Valravn, Maverick, GateKeeper,and Top Thrill Dragster all require Fast Lane Plus (while the other coasters are obviously fine with just normal Fast Lane). The park isn't busy on Tuesdays or Wednesdays anyway.

Cedar Point is quite similar to other Cedar Fair parks except there are more coasters/rides (obviously) and it's busier, so you shouldn't have much of a problem. Enjoy your time there!

Thanks so much! Do you know how long each line will be? Would I be able to ride every main coaster and a couple flats in one day?

Thanks so much! Do you know how long each line will be? Would I be able to ride every main coaster and a couple flats in one day?

It depends on if you get Fast Lane or not. If you do, then yes, you definitely will be able to. If you don't, then you might if you're efficient timing wise.

Would I be able to ride every main coaster and a couple flats in one day?

Just go ahead and get Fast Lane Plus, and you should be fine! With FL+ You'll be able to do everything you want to do in one day!

I'm assuming that you get Early Entry (Don't Cedar Fair employees get Platinum Passes?), so I'm going to say get to the Marina entrance about 15 minutes before early entry. You'll be able to walk right up to Valravn with minimal wait. After that, you can head over to Millennium or Maverick (Or both) before early entry is done, and then you can do Dragster with minimal wait. We did this every day we were at the park last week, and it worked spectacularly.

Raptor pulls super long waits during the day, so wait until the afternoon before you go on that, we were able to walk right into the station every time we tried to get on it. Same deal with Gatekeeper.

Also, the Cedar Point App is extremely useful, the wait times aren't far off (Except Gatekeeper's, where it normally said it was a 15-20 minute wait, but we were able to go right up to the station (Longest we waited was halfway down the stairs to the station)). It also lets you know when rides break down, which saved us a lot of walking.

Just checked out the webcams for the park. . . mainly because I'm bored. . . and what I saw was amazing!!!

Would you look at the size of that BOAT!!!

Damnnnn Cedar Point! Back at it again with the strangely iconic boats.

Sorry I had to.

Please let that meme die out.

Hi Everyone, I am not too familiar with the geography of Cedar Point, so could someone help me out. I know that Cedar Point got rid of Challenge Park and scrapped/relocated the rides. Does anyone know if there is enough space to fit the Pacific Spin from Knott's Soak City without having to do any major structural changes to keep the two parks separate.

I think this disproves your theory.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/attractions/vr/overview

No way that a B&M hyper coaster is under performing.