TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Valravn was just opened to public a few weeks ago. I think we should just embrace it, and worry about a new coaster later. It stresses me out.

I blame Cedar Point itself, putting all those markings over a coaster they know we dislike with a passion.

I agree with those saying that CP and KI adding major new coasters in the same season will not negatively affect either parks attendance or ROI. In fact, it would probably have a positive affect on both parks! I could see a lot of people being more likely to visit both parks in a single season to enjoy two new coasters.

I think that cedar point will take a year and that we will see mean streak stuff happening in 2018.

How long does a conversion take? I recall The New Texas Giant taking 18 months, but that was early on for RMC. With that time frame, 2018 would make a lot of sense.

Also, I hope they spend a lot of time looking at Wildfire. That looks like the greatest coaster ever made.

^Well, they certainly don't take two years and not at all as long as New Texas Giant did, that likely took so long as it was their first ever coaster as you said. Their most recent I Box conversions are The Joker and Storm Chaser, both opening this year if you didn't know. The Joker took around 9 months to complete and Storm Chaser took just a little longer than that i think. So if they are to close Mean Streak in July as rumored they can easily get it all done and open for next season.

So if they are to close Mean Streak in July as rumored they can easily get it all done and open for next season.

Don't you think they should take a brake for a year? They just got Gatekeeper, Rougarou, soft restrains on Maverick, Valravn. The Cedar Point fanboys are like,

"Valravn was ok" a month later. "Lets get another coaster for next year "

Why can't Cedar Point take a break, they already have one of the best coaster collections out there. Not all there rides need to be perfect.

Edited by nicman

So if they are to close Mean Streak in July as rumored they can easily get it all done and open for next season.

Don't you think they should take a brake for a year?

No i don't, if Cedar Fair decide that they want to convert Mean Streak into an I Box woodie then that's what will happen. It's all based on revenue and visitor figures so if they feel that doing this will improve what they already have then seriously, why do they need to take a break. How could anyone not wan't a new coaster at a park regardless of when the last one was added. It'll be incredible if it happens.

I'm also on the page that a Soak City upgrade is coming next year - perhaps Mean Streak in 2018. Ripcord looks weird sitting there with Skyscraper and the go-carts gone. Gotta assume something is going to change in that area.

Of note, the parking lot at Soak City was completely full today - the overflow was in Sandcastle's lot. But then again it was 92 at the park today.

Tomorrow is to be much cooler, luckily!

Don't you think they should take a brake for a year?

No i don't, if Cedar Fair decide that they want to convert Mean Streak into an I Box woodie then that's what will happen. It's all based on revenue and visitor figures so if they feel that doing this will improve what they already have then seriously, why do they need to take a break. How could anyone not wan't a new coaster at a park regardless of when the last one was added. It'll be incredible if it happens.

This.

If this business strategy of adding a major attraction every season is working, why not? Plus they have the added bonus of the Hotel Breakers renovation (the $60 million price tag pre-paid). That, combined with the Mantis > Rougarou conversion that they were able to market as a new coaster (which was rather inexpensive) which yielded one of the best attendance figures the park has ever seen. Net revenue is likely very, very high. So another large investment is highly probable in the near future.

Cedar point is extremely lucrative on the day by day. That documentary posted a few pages backs aid that on a regular day the parking lot alone brings in over a million dollars... I really wouldn't put the Iron Mantis conversion for this winter off the table.

Cedar point is extremely lucrative on the day by day. That documentary posted a few pages backs aid that on a regular day the parking lot alone brings in over a million dollars... I really wouldn't put the Iron Mantis conversion for this winter off the table.

I think your math is off on the parking lot....

$20/car x 50,000 = $1,000,000

That would mean that the average day would see over 100,000 people in the park.

Hey, I'm headed to the park for the first time next week and I'm wondering if the marina entrance (The park entrance that goes underneath Valravn) opens up for early entry. I would assume it does, I just want to confirm that that's the case.

Also, could we park at the marina parking lot, even though we don't have a boat parked at the marina? Or is it limited to just the boat owners?

Thanks!

Edited by GCI Wooden

Highly doubt this, maybe the entire park brings in a million dollars per day, with average spending at ~40$ per guest in park and ticket price 40$ leading to 80$ per day, roughly, and to reach a million in a day you would need 12,500 guests per day, which is I think less than average.

Highly doubt this, maybe the entire park brings in a million dollars per day, with average spending at ~40$ per guest in park and ticket price 40$ leading to 80$ per day, roughly, and to reach a million in a day you would need 12,500 guests per day, which is I think less than average.

Yea, it said 1 million in ticket sales, no way it brings in a mil for parking. I wouldn't even think a Disney park would be able to do that. Still a cool video though.

We need at least five more posts saying that the parking lot revenue figure of $1,000,000/day is wrong. Two posts need to include cited sources, two posts need to include complex equations, and we need one post from nicman with a parking lot investment strategy based on no actual investment knowledge or experience. Maybe then, and only then, we can all move on from that post.