TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

With Kings Island getting a new roller coaster (rumor) next year, would it make sense to have another Cedar Fair park that's only 3 hours away open another coaster that everybody's been waiting years for? Just doesn't seem like good business sense unless Cedar Fair wants everybody in the world in Ohio next year. Could be.

It actually surprised me reading some of the comments that anyone could have anything negative to say about RMC being the ones to do the update on Mean Streak. I think, like most people, it's a good possibility but maybe too early to tell. Screamscape I've also seen go both ways. From my experience it's good to just read things as they are posted and not get excited until there's a real announcement or legitimate proof.

With everything I've seen RMC do and the coasters I've ridden that they've got their hands on, I'm a huge fan. Great airtime, well paced, and major improvements. Iron rattler quickly became one of my favorite coasters after riding it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm definitely on board with the possibility of RMC Mean Streak. Like mentioned above, they seem like the best choice for return on investment IMO.

Because I think another steel coaster with a near-90 degree drop is not what the park needs?

Because I think the roller coaster capital of the world should have at least one good wood coaster?

Because I've seen what GCI can do with Ghostrider?

Because building 2 new coasters in the same state could hurt the other park's return on investment?

With Kings Island getting a new roller coaster (rumor) next year, would it make sense to have another Cedar Fair park that's only 3 hours away open another coaster that everybody's been waiting years for? Just doesn't seem like good business sense unless Cedar Fair wants everybody in the world in Ohio next year. Could be.

Not a rumor anymore.

FB_IMG_1465501750394.jpg.11723387ec43552620eb9b398d124c78.jpg

While I agree with some of your points I have to disagree here. Unlike Mean Streak, Ghostrider actually had a decent layout. If Mean Streak were to just get smoother, it would be boring because the layout does pretty much nothing.

While I agree with some of your points I have to disagree here. Unlike Mean Streak, Ghostrider actually had a decent layout. If Mean Streak were to just get smoother, it would be boring because the layout does pretty much nothing.

But if CF gave GCI some creative freedmom, I bet they could turn it around.

But if CF gave GCI some creative Liberty, I bet they could turn it around.

Yeah, if it were something more on the Legend end of the spectrum it could be cool. The POVs really show how much speed Legend retains after the GCI refurb.

Just got back from a quick trip to Ohio to see the family and do Coastermania.

The event was AWESOME! I went last year when there were far too many people. CP was smart this year to charge for the event and limit the number of tickets sold.

The added cruise around the Point was worth every penny. And apparently Jet Express will be doing daily cruises from CP Marina this summer!

Rode Valravn 3X (the view at the top is amazing) and did all of the other major rides with little to no wait.

FunPix is AMAZING! Just $30 for the day or $40 for the season with a season pass. Easy to use and pays for itself after just a few downloads.

Also did Brew and BBQ event. Totally worth every penny! The food portions are HUGE and there were 140+ different beers to sample. We even ended up with extra tickets since we had eaten and drank all we could. A great event that I hope will continue every year.

Hotel Breakers. I stayed there last year and will continue to stay there every time I go to the Point. Outstanding renovations, great food eateries inside, and the shortest walk to the park. Well worth the $$ to stay there.

And now...the pics!

Excellent report, John...so pumped to head out there tomorrow!

We are definitely going to check out the boat ride from the marina (this should be classified as "THE BOAT" officially) given the awesome photos that you were able to snag on that boat ride.

What a great idea for Jet Express in addition to their trips to Put-In Bay...count me in!

It actually surprised me reading some of the comments that anyone could have anything negative to say about RMC being the ones to do the update on Mean Streak. I think, like most people, it's a good possibility but maybe too early to tell. Screamscape I've also seen go both ways. From my experience it's good to just read things as they are posted and not get excited until there's a real announcement or legitimate proof.

With everything I've seen RMC do and the coasters I've ridden that they've got their hands on, I'm a huge fan. Great airtime, well paced, and major improvements. Iron rattler quickly became one of my favorite coasters after riding it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm definitely on board with the possibility of RMC Mean Streak. Like mentioned above, they seem like the best choice for return on investment IMO.

Because I think another steel coaster with a near-90 degree drop is not what the park needs?

Because I think the roller coaster capital of the world should have at least one good wood coaster?

Because building 2 new coasters in the same state could hurt the other park's return on investment?

Though GCI is good. Still, maintenance costs with them will be higher than they'd be with RMC. Really don't see how it would pull return on investment away from other parks. A near 90 degree drop wouldn't be the focal point or the selling point. Also, define good? I think majority rules here based on the traffic that Mean Streak sees. None lol. No one rides it. Even though it's a more comfortable ride, how many people are riding it in a day on average compared to literally ALL of the other coasters. The GP typically seem to enjoy steel coasters more. I just see them making a smarter decision which would be RMC compared to GCI.

^^ I tried to find the report Phil (and pianojohn), but I just can't figure out which page it's on.

Must be my age or something. Please help me find it, thanks?

Went to the park the past few days. As always, had an incredible time. Always look forward to my yearly trip up to the point!

Tuesday saw a lot of downtime with Valravn, Maverick, and TTD, the intamins no surprise there but Valravn seemed to be in a bad mood. Only got on one ride that day but it was a blast!

The next days were better weather wise and maintenance wise. Total for the trip got rides on:

Valravn - 7 times (5 front - best row!, 1 middle, 1 back) I did wish it had the old restraints for more air on the drops. I didn't bring the restraints down all the way to help get that feeling like on Sheikra.

MF - 3 times

TTD - 5 times

GK - 3 times

Raptor - 3 times

Magnum - 4 times

Gemini - 3 times

Iron Dragon - 1 time

Maverick - 6 times

Rougarou - 2 times

Wicked Twister - 1 time

CCMR - 1 time

Also did the Brew & BBQ fest on Wednesday. What a great event! I'm not a huge beer drinker but I did enjoy a few brews. The food was really good! Didn't get through all of my tickets, my girlfriend and I would have been better off just buying one set of tickets instead of two. There was more than enough to go around.

Overall had a wonderful time at the park. It looks great, clean as always. Really thought the new Marina entrance plaza looked really nice. I love how Valravn interacts with the midway, it is a great looking ride! The glassblowing demonstrations were also really cool, I could have watched them make glass creations for hours. I'm not going to post my pictures since we have a lot of updates from CP, but here is a link to my flickr page if you'd like to check them out. Enjoy! https://flic.kr/s/aHsky3irDk

Last thing, I hadn't seen any pictures of the wall by Valravn posted so here is what it looks like as of this week. The little area here looks really nice, the flowers really give the wall some nice life to it.

20160608_152924.thumb.jpg.3de3babf20deb7cae5dbc0b1e25ee7cb.jpg

Valravn viewing wall.

My initial thought, was that the RMC Streak would debut in 2018, along with an entirely brand new midway connecting that area with the Gemini Midway. I still think, given what we've seen in recent years with the additions of GateKeeper, and Valravn, that this is likely going to happen. However, that is a project that is on a larger scale than just one offseason, so that's why I figured on 2018. Now, with reports of Mean Streak closing after July, it seems to be on schedule to debut in 2017. Maybe without the new midway, but maybe that's still doable.

I do think there is some merit to discussing whether Cedar Fair would ostensibly "cannibalize" some of their profits by debuting two "new" coasters the same year at their two Ohio parks, but I'm not sure it's really a big issue... I would assume that the number of people in Ohio, who only will do one of the two parks in a given year, is relatively low, compared to the number of people in Ohio who either have Platinum Passes to do both, or are just going to go once to each park, regardless - especially if there is something new. Looking at past history, the parks did avoid dropping two large scale additions in the same year, with Diamondback and Banshee coming in "down" years for Cedar Point, and GateKeeper and Valravn coming in "down" years for KI. But I suspect that was more of a budget allocation issue, than a "these parks are too close, and will steal attendance from each other" issue. For example, look at 2007: Cedar Point debuted Maverick the same year that KI debuted the "new" and "only" Flying Coaster in Ohio, Firehawk. Yes, Firehawk was only a relocated coaster, but the point is, they billed it as a brand new coaster for KI, and most GP to this day, probably don't know any differently. As far as overall capital investments by the chain, however, Maverick and Firehawk were able to be done the same year, because of the cheaper cost of the relocation of X-Flight as opposed to a brand new coaster. So, as far as how that pertains to 2017 (ironically, 10 years later), we're looking at potentially a new coaster for Kings Island, and an RMC'd Mean Streak at CP. I can almost assure you, the total cost of both of those capital investments, is less than what they spent in 2007 on Maverick and Firehawk's relocation. So, I still see both parks getting a "new" coaster, and having it not phase Cedar Fair's bottom line, as far as expenditures, or revenues, at all!

People act like they are a lot closer to each other than they really are. Its a solid 4 1/2hr drive from CP to KI, maybe slightly more. Plus, both draw a ton from out of state attendance, so its not like they will fight over Ohio alone for attendance with their new rides.

People act like they are a lot closer to each other than they really are. Its a solid 4 1/2hr drive from CP to KI, maybe slightly more. Plus, both draw a ton from out of state attendance, so its not like they will fight over Ohio alone for attendance with their new rides.

Try 3.5.

image.thumb.png.0b42b670d00acf4a129b4a8611d10181.png

The Mean Streak stuff is just to distract you nerds, the real project is across the way when they do a RMC make over of the mine train......

I know that Mine Ride probably isn't going anywhere, because it's a great smaller coaster for kids, and co-workers who scream like they're being murdered while riding the Blue Streak (don't ask... ), but I've always thought that footprint would be super awesome for a B&M Flyer! I know it's an unlikely dream, but gosh darn it, that won't stop me from fantasizing!

Live in Cleveland and most of my friends while know what King's Island is have always gone to Point or GL. I actually took two friends on Wednesday for their first ever KI trip. 3.5 hours in considerable distance and they serve completely different markets.

KI is primarily served by Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky and Point is primarily served by northern Ohio and Detroit. Both share Columbus for the most part. Debuting new coasters the same year won't hurt their attendance at all. It would probably help. Most out of state guests would now more then likely spend a day at both parks instead of just one or the other.

The Mean Streak stuff is just to distract you nerds, the real project is across the way when they do a RMC make over of the mine train......

I know that Mine Ride probably isn't going anywhere, because it's a great smaller coaster for kids, and co-workers who scream like they're being murdered while riding the Blue Streak (don't ask... ), but I've always thought that footprint would be super awesome for a B&M Flyer! I know it's an unlikely dream, but gosh darn it, that won't stop me from fantasizing!

As long as you're happy with whatever they do end up adding you can dream about whatever you want

As long as you're happy with whatever they do end up adding you can dream about whatever you want

Well, technically, I don't have to be happy with anything! But believe me, I will be happy with whatever they put in place of Mean Streak, and STR! (Unless it is a Larson Loop. I will absolutely NOT be happy with that! )

Well, technically, I don't have to be happy with anything! But believe me, I will be happy with whatever they put in place of Mean Streak, and STR! (Unless it is a Larson Loop. I will absolutely NOT be happy with that! )