TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So with this being CP, I'm assuming (if this happens of course) that they'll want the MCBR to stay on Mean Streak so they can run three trains and maximize the capacity.

All we can do is speculate. Running 2 RMC trains would be horrible for capacity but if they have a variable speed lift like Banshee or Fury they don't technically need a midcourse. If the rumors are true my gut would tell me they'd keep the midcourse but I have no justification for saying that other than the fact that it's a gut feeling.

I actually think Hurler at KD will get the treatment if any CF woodie. It's already been closed a while.

*prepares for a lecture on how immoral the above statement was

Edited by madmax

This year is obviously the first year that CF has the ability to make an RMC conversion, so why not apply it to your flagship park? I know they just got another coaster this year and other parks need it more

I can see this image getting great usage here.

So with this being CP, I'm assuming (if this happens of course) that they'll want the MCBR to stay on Mean Streak so they can run three trains and maximize the capacity.

All we can do is speculate. Running 2 RMC trains would be horrible for capacity but if they have a variable speed lift like Banshee or Fury they don't technically need a midcourse. If the rumors are true my gut would tell me they'd keep the midcourse but I have no justification for saying that other than the fact that it's a gut feeling.

I've noticed that RMC always uses 6 cars per train. This kinda makes sense since the layouts tend to be pack with tight transitions. Does anyone know why they only use 6? I wonder if we will ever see 7-9 car trains from RMC. From a capacity perspective it would be nice to see a theoretical RMC Mean Streak with 3 trains, 8 cars each.

I've only been on the Gerstlauer train RMCs, but they each have 8 cars with a capacity of 32, and NTaG can run 3 trains. However I think if RMC Mean Streak were to happen it would probably run with RMC trains. They probably could add more cars to the train if CP wanted them to.

I've only been on the Gerstlauer train RMCs, but they each have 8 cars with a capacity of 32, and NTaG can run 3 trains. However I think if RMC Mean Streak were to happen it would probably run with RMC trains. They probably could add more cars to the train if CP wanted them to.

Actually I think NTAG and Iron Rattler have 6 cars per train. Same as other RMC's.

Anyways, what's not to say Cedar Point could call in GCI to totally change the layout of Mean Streak? Surely if they can add new elements to a wood coaster (see Legend and Boulder Dash), why couldn't they do a reprofile project on the scale of an RMC? It's not that I don't want RMC to come and redo Mean Streak. I'm just saying that RMC could potentially not be the only option. Who's to say GCI couldn't make the first drop tighter and steeper, add more hills, lower the high turnarounds etc. It could be done.

Maybe the conversion will be similar to NTAG where the MCBR was kept and didn't hurt the ride quality. Whatever they do this is exciting because pretty much the entire coaster fanatic world has been discussing a rehab of this ride for almost two decades. #finally

^^ weird, it looks like you're right. for some reason I was sure there were 16 rows on IRat.

Also, I'm leaving on my 10-day coaster trip tomorrow and I'll be at Cedar Point on Wednesday and Thursday the 15th and 16th with early entry both days. We have FL+ in the budget for Thursday but not Wednesday. Any tips for hitting the park efficiently and having an awesome time at the park? One day of FL+ should satisfy the reride thirst but generally what I hear is to hit Maverick during early entry and then go to MF (with an extra lap or two on Maverick if you want), and I've also seen that it's better to ride Valravn on FL+ day to avoid waiting in line for it. I don't know how CP gets on weekdays but the forecast for these two days is a little sketchy (when is it not?) so I do want to make sure we have as much fun as possible.

Don't look at the forecasts more than three days out, especially not on Lake Erie. All it'll do is stress you out and it's not accurate at all.

It sounds like you have a solid plan. Remember the Mean Streak and Magnum tricks (front row lean forward on Mean Streak, tighten the seatbelt as much as humanly possible on Magnum... seriously, as much as possible).

Have fun!

Anyways, what's not to say Cedar Point could call in GCI to totally change the layout of Mean Streak? Surely if they can add new elements to a wood coaster (see Legend and Boulder Dash), why couldn't they do a reprofile project on the scale of an RMC? It's not that I don't want RMC to come and redo Mean Streak. I'm just saying that RMC could potentially not be the only option. Who's to say GCI couldn't make the first drop tighter and steeper, add more hills, lower the high turnarounds etc. It could be done.

Cedar Point is experienced enough to know that even with a comprehensive reprofiling of the ride, along with new track being laid, that this alone is not enough to cure the core issue with Mean Streak. With a GCI makeover you will get maybe one good season out of it, but in the end you still have a ride that will tear itself apart due to its size. It's simply the reality with large wooden coasters and their dynamics. Maintaining large, 150+ foot wooden coasters that provide a "positive" rider experience on a regular basis is extremely costly and labor intensive.

If Mean Streak is in fact getting a "refurbishment" there are three primary goals Cedar Point is almost certainly looking to accomplish if they're going to be making this type of investment: 1) Drastically reduced annual maintenance costs 2) Increase overall attendance 3) Increased and sustained ridership. There are no viable options that will accomplish all three of those for a multiple seasons besides an RMC makeover.

Edited by Snovi

Screamscape is also reporting that RMC is going to take over Mean Streak. They were right about Valravn, just sayin.

Believe it or not, I'm actually hoping I can get one more ride on Mean Streak this year before it closes (if it closes?). I want to try the front-row, lean forward technique you guys have been talking about. Sounds like it might close before I get over there in August or September. Not a huge loss, as anything RMC would do will be much, much better. I'm excited about the potential new for 2017 coasters at Kings Island and CP, as I'll be an Ohioan later this year. Bring on the coasters!

Cedar Point is wise enough to know that even with a comprehensive reprofiling of the ride, along with new track being laid, that this alone is not enough to cure the core issue with Mean Streak. With a GCI makeover you will get maybe one good season out of it, but in the end you still have a ride that will tear itself apart due to its size. It's simply the reality with large wooden coasters and their dynamics. Maintaining large, 150+ foot wooden coasters that provide a "positive" rider experience on a regular basis is extremely costly and labor intensive.

If Mean Streak is in fact getting a "refurbishment" there are three primary goals Cedar Point is almost certainly looking to accomplish if they're going to be making this type of investment: 1) Drastically reduced annual maintenance costs 2) Increase overall attendance 3) Increased and sustained ridership. There are no viable options that will accomplish all three of those for a multiple seasons besides an RMC makeover.

Good call. It is true that RMC is the best option.

KD will get the GCI refurb on Hurler. CP is going for the RMC. As mentioned above, the maintenance on Mean Streak is just too much. I'm sure they will add a smaller traditional woody in the future. The Shoot the Rapids location has enough space.

If CP got a brand new woodie I would imagine it would be something along the lines of a GCI or Gravity Group. They already have a small classic woodie in Blue Streak, and I imagine that Mean Streak will get RMC'd in the next ten years (and honestly, even if it doesn't, CP is arguably the best coaster park in the country), but RMC Mean Streak is where I feel Cedar Fair would probably start as it's very similar to the old Texas Giant so it would be in the realm of "playing it safe." However I don't think RMC Mean Streak is happening for 2017, since they just got Valravn. Now, it's still possible as according to Wikipedia and rcdb, NTaG was only $10mil and Cedar Fair has been adding much more expensive stuff with B&Ms in their parks.

Do I think RMC Mean Streak is a possibility? Yes. It's likely. Do I think that it will happen in 2017? Probably not. Would I be surprised if it happened in 2017? Probably not.

Plus CP already has a ton of awesome coasters so RMC Mean Streak would just be another top ride at the park.

I actually think Hurler at KD will get the treatment if any CF woodie. It's already been closed a while.

Except the park has already said what they're doing will be in house.

Except the park has already said what they're doing will be in house.

What? I haven't heard anything about that.

It actually surprised me reading some of the comments that anyone could have anything negative to say about RMC being the ones to do the update on Mean Streak. I think, like most people, it's a good possibility but maybe too early to tell. Screamscape I've also seen go both ways. From my experience it's good to just read things as they are posted and not get excited until there's a real announcement or legitimate proof.

With everything I've seen RMC do and the coasters I've ridden that they've got their hands on, I'm a huge fan. Great airtime, well paced, and major improvements. Iron rattler quickly became one of my favorite coasters after riding it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm definitely on board with the possibility of RMC Mean Streak. Like mentioned above, they seem like the best choice for return on investment IMO.