TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I was with you until the part about the park's anniversary. Lol

Someone asked about it at CoasterMania. The parks GM flat out said they know it is coming and are planning on celebrating it. He made it sound like they plan on making a big deal about it. Does that mean they plan on doing extra work to improve the park before hand? I have no idea. The chain has not cared in the past about anniversaries at other parks. But things change and it feels like Cedar Point is having more work done than normal.

When I hear that they're planning on "Celebrating their Anniversary" I assume they'll do what Kings Dominion did which is putting up some old pictures around the park, getting nothing of interest and giving everyone who spends $150 or more in the gift shop the opportunity to buy an ugly 150th anniversary shirt for the low, low price of an additional $15. (Gotta keep with the "15" theme.

And then they'll probably sell a bunch of retro "limited edition" shirts of old rides with a 150th anniversary logo on them like Wildcat and Disaster Transport because they know enthusiasts will buy anything. Not Mean Streak though because it'll still be running and annoying everyone.

That's about the extent of what I'm picturing.

Edited by coasterbill

^Normally I'm totally with you on that but in an interview with Rob Decker from Valravn's media day he put a lot of emphasis on the park's 150th and, a few minutes after being asked about how many ideas they have in the books for new coasters at Cedar Point, he said something along the lines of "I think it's gonna be a big one," then smiled and left it at that.

It was also emphasized in the long presentation from the Cedar Fair discussion thread that the pie chart was grabbed from.

If you want to find the interview its from coasterforce.

But that doesn't mean anything. They'll play everything off like a big addition. What are they going to say "We have a mediocre addition coming next year".

This is how they described Pipe Scream...

Located along the Gemini Midway, Pipe Scream is billed as “combining the best of a roller coaster and a flat ride in one.” Riders will spin and coast over 302 feet of track, reaching a maximum height of 43 feet above the midway and a top speed of 43 mph!

The website refers to it as a "One of a Kind Experience" and uses an excessive amount of exclamation points in their description. lol

If thee plans for the 150th anniversary include exactly what I described, a bunch of dollar days, some fireworks and a lot of passholder ERT events they'll play it off as a huge deal. It'll be like a year long Cedar Point-gasm extravaganza! I'm not saying it won't be a big deal but the fact that they're pretending it is one means nothing.

I heard that they're simply demolishing Mean Streak to build a new parking lot and a new entrance gate close to Maverick, but they haven't yet decided whether to go with GCI or RMC (Ground Clearance Incorporated or Reverse Mantling Company).

Very clever

But that doesn't mean anything. They'll play everything off like a big addition. What are they going to say "We have a mediocre addition coming next year".

This is how they described Pipe Scream...

Located along the Gemini Midway, Pipe Scream is billed as “combining the best of a roller coaster and a flat ride in one.” Riders will spin and coast over 302 feet of track, reaching a maximum height of 43 feet above the midway and a top speed of 43 mph!

The website refers to it as a "One of a Kind Experience" and uses an excessive amount of exclamation points in their description. lol

If thee plans for the 150th anniversary include exactly what I described, a bunch of dollar days, some fireworks and a lot of passholder ERT events they'll play it off as a huge deal. It'll be like a year long Cedar Point-gasm extravaganza! I'm not saying it won't be a big deal but the fact that they're pretending it is one means nothing.

Agreed. Kings Island hyped up the 40th Anniversary of the park and they ended up just re-theming the water park. Anniversaries don't = massive new attractions.

I still find it hard to believe that Cedar point would be getting any Roller coaster or Updates to said MS. Seems more likely that Kings island would get a coaster next year. Don't see them open two big coaster in Ohio in the same year.

Also what two parks get more People then Cedar point. Someone said its 3rd in the Chain.

Knotts and Canada's Wonderland. Canada's Wonderland is open all year though and has daily operations. it would be shocking if that park didn't beat Cedar Point. They also close and re-open for Scary Farm so they count the gate twice in the same day and they pack the place for Scary Farm.

You mean knotts is open all year round. not canada's wonderland.

CW is my home park, I actually have no idea how our park beats cedar point in attendance. Do they open for more days? Seriously, I have NEVER EVER waited more than 45 minutes for Leviathan, and I have seen the line maybe an hour ONCE, in the middle of summer on a weekend. Behemoth, never waited more than about 30 minutes, and all the woodies and other rides are always station waits on good days.

But I went to Cedar Point a couple weeks ago, which is supposed to be one of the "quiet" seasons, it was the lowest I've ever seen Cedar Point, but Maverick, TTD, had hour plus lines througout the day, valravn and raptor both pushed 2 hours. MF was at least an hour. During the nights it got much better.

Basically, I have been to CP about 4 separate trips (so about 10+ days) and every single day was more crowded than the most crowded I ever saw Canada's Wonderland. And I go like 10 times each summer to CW.

I was browsing Mean Streak topics on another site (only due to sheer boredom, and having exhausted topics on this one, relax... ), and just early this morning somebody, presumably a ride op at CP, said that they were just informed that the MS crew would be reassigned to different positions after July. That would certainly seem to indicate an early closure of the coaster, but again, it's hearsay, so don't put too much stock in it. Still, if true, it's a pretty interesting development, and possibly the clearest sign yet that something big is happening with MS sooner rather than later!

I can confirm although I am certainly not an official source. I am related to someone on that team.

CW is my home park, I actually have no idea how our park beats cedar point in attendance. Do they open for more days? Seriously, I have NEVER EVER waited more than 45 minutes for Leviathan, and I have seen the line maybe an hour ONCE, in the middle of summer on a weekend. Behemoth, never waited more than about 30 minutes, and all the woodies and other rides are always station waits on good days.

But I went to Cedar Point a couple weeks ago, which is supposed to be one of the "quiet" seasons, it was the lowest I've ever seen Cedar Point, but Maverick, TTD, had hour plus lines througout the day, valravn and raptor both pushed 2 hours. MF was at least an hour. During the nights it got much better.

Basically, I have been to CP about 4 separate trips (so about 10+ days) and every single day was more crowded than the most crowded I ever saw Canada's Wonderland. And I go like 10 times each summer to CW.

As a frequent visitor to both parks, I too was puzzled how CW always beats CP in attendance, (usually only by a few hundred thousand). Your reasoning is a little flawed IMO. Your comparing 2 reliable, people eating monsters to a trio of Intamins and a new coaster. For example, no matter how busy CP gets, the line for Gatekeeper is usually under 30min. I came to the conclusion that CP is more of a destination park, resulting in huge weekend, but very manageable weekday crowds. CW, has a more steady crowd, even though it seems to never reach the crazy capacity that CP weekends do. Last year at CW, it was hard to tell a daily difference, as it seemed very busy every day.

I was browsing Mean Streak topics on another site (only due to sheer boredom, and having exhausted topics on this one, relax... ), and just early this morning somebody, presumably a ride op at CP, said that they were just informed that the MS crew would be reassigned to different positions after July. That would certainly seem to indicate an early closure of the coaster, but again, it's hearsay, so don't put too much stock in it. Still, if true, it's a pretty interesting development, and possibly the clearest sign yet that something big is happening with MS sooner rather than later!

I can confirm although I am certainly not an official source. I am related to someone on that team.

Keeping with RMC tradition, an early closing coaster makes way for the start of transformation. I've read from a few sources tonight, that a conversion is very likely. It's like someone let the cat out of the bag. When I visited the park in May, all I could see was the New Texas Giant when looking at Mean Streak. RMC finally at Cedar Fair would be amazing. Next could be CW's Mine Buster. The possibilities are so exciting.

Something else to consider in regard to the whole question regarding how CW beats CP in attendance, is that CW is literally in a huge suburb (over 200,000 people), of a larger city that is essentially the New York City of Canada! I was blown away upon my first visit to the greater Toronto area at just how HUGE it all was! So there is automatically going to be a massive amount of just locals who frequent the park. Imagine if Cedar Point were on Long Island (Next to NYC), how high the attendance would be! (And, consider how busy SF:GAm always is, being in a suburb of Chicago.) Then, factor in its status as the biggest amusement or theme park in an entire country, and it's a destination park for Canadians. With the tightening of the regulations for border crossing, I imagine there are probably less Canadians coming into America to ride coasters now than there may have been before. So I think all of those are factors in the attendance at CW being higher. And remember, in spite of all that, it's not higher than CP by much, if I remember accurately.

Your comparing 2 reliable, people eating monsters to a trio of Intamins and a new coaster. For example, no matter how busy CP gets, the line for Gatekeeper is usually under 30min.

This is a very valid point regarding the wait times! Perhaps no coaster churns through the people like B&M Hypers/Gigas! I still can't believe that I rode Fury 5 times last year, with a combined wait time of around an hour, maybe... The brand new coaster in the park... The GateKeeper example is a great one as well, as I haven't seen anything longer than a 30 minute wait since one visit I had during its opening season. Maverick and TTD are Intamins, that have their fair share of downtime, and Valravn is a ridiculously popular ride right now, being new, and very fascinating to the GP (who have flocked to CP in greater early season droves this year than I have ever seen!) Compare Maverick and TTD to MF even (a fellow Intamin), and you find that the Giga churns through the people much quicker than the launched coaster, with a lot of moving parts that could go wrong. That's one of the great things about a B&M Hyper, regardless of whether you find it thrilling or not - it likely won't have as long of a line as other coasters in the park, and is pretty darn reliable. That makes them a great addition to any park (that doesn't already have one, obviously.)

I think it makes sense that Mean Streak will get the RMC treatment. Think about it. Cedar Point is Cedar Fair's coaster park. It makes sense that the first RMC in the Cedar Fair chain is going to that park. This year is obviously the first year that CF has the ability to make an RMC conversion, so why not apply it to your flagship park? I know they just got another coaster this year and other parks need it more, but I can understand the logic behind the decision if it does actually happen.

It's interesting to note that since Matt Ouimet took over Cedar Fair, not factoring in the first year and a half (which I imagine he wasn't involved in the planning of much), Cedar fair has added GateKeeper, Pipe Scream (I know it's not really a coaster - at least the way we think of one), modified Mantis into Rougarou, and added Valravn. With him really focusing on trying to give each park its own identity, it would seem that he's decided Cedar Point's identity is indeed, the Roller Coaster Capital of the World, and high thrills. As such, it wouldn't seem too unreasonable to have another consecutive year of capital investments into the coaster lineup, albeit, another modification, most likely. It's almost like he's saying "This is what Cedar Point is known for, so by golly, we're going to make sure we're known as the biggest and best in the world!" (or at least America - I rather doubt he's too worried about Europa Park siphoning off business just because of the Golden Ticket Awards!) Now, this doesn't mean he isn't focused on making the park more family friendly, or well rounded. Heck, both GateKeeper, and Valravn drastically improved entire sections of the park, and I suspect that any modification of Mean Streak will include the same for that area! It does seem, however, that he isn't simply content with quantity of coasters, but also is interested in them being high quality. That's why, to my mind at least, it only makes sense that he would finally get involved with the hottest, and most consistently rated high quality coaster manufacturer in the industry today, and bring RMC to CP. I could be completely missing the mark here in trying to grasp the mindset of Ouimet, but I don't think so... I definitely think he is a friend to coaster lovers everywhere - at least as it pertains to Cedar Point! Now, the fans of Kings Dominion, Knott's, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park and Michigan's Adventure may disagree that he's their friend, but you can't please everybody!

I just don't think Cedar Point is going to get all this next year. It's just insanely too much. We've heard waterpark expansion, Hotel expansion, Sportsplex, and now a RMC conversion? I want it to happen, but if it does, I'd lean more towards 2018. I think the waterpark expansion is going to happen first. But I could be wrong, and Cedar Point is about to blow our minds. Who knows?

I hope it happens because like the enjoyment Bill gets out of watching enthusiasts cry about Mean Streak, I get enjoyment out of watching the crying that happens every year Kings Dominion doesn't get a new coaster from their fanboys. If it happens this would just help amplify those whiners.

This year is obviously the first year that CF has the ability to make an RMC conversion, so why not apply it to your flagship park? I know they just got another coaster this year and other parks need it more

I hope it happens because like the enjoyment Bill gets out of watching enthusiasts cry about Mean Streak, I get enjoyment out of watching the crying that happens every year Kings Dominion doesn't get a new coaster from their fanboys. If it happens this would just help amplify those whiners.

I hope one year Cedar Fair adds a coaster to every park except Kings Dominion. They should take out I305 the same year too.