TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Brace yourself, CP fans...screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

I saw that early and really take Screamscape with a grain of salt. Few years back they said Raging Rapids was closing at Kennywood for a new coaster. They've said WildWater Kingdom / Geauga Lake was closing almost every year until 2014 then they gave up. I can't see why Cedar Fair wouldn't be using GCI to do a restore.

I would still be a little surprised if CP had back to back major additions like Valravn, and RMC Streak, but it's certainly not unprecedented at the park. My money is still on a Soak City expansion in 2017, along with the closure of Mean Streak prior to that season, and a new midway, and RMC Streak to debut in 2018.

The Cedar Point press people often note that 'roller coaster's are int he parks DNA' and the number suggest that people visit more when there is a new roller coaster. I doubt they'd go back to back with major roller coaster's however Cedar Fair is not shy about making heavy investments into Cedar Point.

I am curious how they justify the expenditures. Justify meaning does a hotel improvement count as improvement for Cedar Point proper. Cedar Point is their corporate flagship but it is third in attendance but I have a feeling that every year the Park is number one in capital improvements (rides, infrastructure, et). I wonder if the Cedar Fair people look at Cedar Point more as a 'resort' and less as an amusement park.

^I feel like they definitely think of CP as a resort over just an amusement park and that started when they added Castaway Bay. Then by expanding their number of hotel rooms and really stressing it as a "multiple day" property, it's clear to me they want people to view it as a resort, offering more than just an amusement park. With what appears to be a big Soak City expansion (which is MUCH needed) coming, they really want people to spend at least 2 days at the property, which is definitely unique compared to all of their other properties. By getting people to stay longer and spend more (2 days of food, lodging, etc.), it will more than make up for not having the highest attendance in the chain.

The Cedar Point press people often note that 'roller coaster's are int he parks DNA' and the number suggest that people visit more when there is a new roller coaster. I doubt they'd go back to back with major roller coaster's however Cedar Fair is not shy about making heavy investments into Cedar Point.

Technically back-to-back-to-back then in this case: Rougarou, Valravn, RMC Mean Streak. The thing you really see is the Cedar Fair going to their parks and correcting a lot of the mistakes made over the course of the Kinsel regime, and that's pretty great.

Technically back-to-back-to-back then in this case: Rougarou, Valravn, RMC Mean Streak. The thing you really see is the Cedar Fair going to their parks and correcting a lot of the mistakes made over the course of the Kinsel regime, and that's pretty great.

THIS. I'm amazed at how much better Worlds of Fun is now compared to just a few years ago. The overhaul of Oceans of Fun, the addition of Dinosaurs Alive, the Planet Snoopy expansion, and the re-tracking of Timber Wolf have made it a much better experience compared to just a few years ago. I can't speak for the rest of the CF chain, as up until 1 week ago WoF was the only CF park I had been to, but if the transformation is similar to WoF's--and it sounds like that is the case--then they're absolutely doing it right.

Brace yourself, CP fans...screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

I saw that early and really take Screamscape with a grain of salt. Few years back they said Raging Rapids was closing at Kennywood for a new coaster. They've said WildWater Kingdom / Geauga Lake was closing almost every year until 2014 then they gave up. I can't see why Cedar Fair wouldn't be using GCI to do a restore.

The raging rapids thing is true, the railroad was to be demolished as well. It was supposed to be a CCI coaster similar in size and length to Boulder Dash along the back of the park. Obviously these plans fell through.

Plans change all the time. You can't blame Lance for reporting rumors on a website partially dedicated to rumors.

With that in mind, I feel like Mean Streak is a better candidate for a Rocky Mountain installation considering the success of New Texas Giant, another Dinn. Every individual park, regardless of their chain, has different intentions for their rides. I could see why they wanted to keep GhostRider a wooden coaster, as it fits the area more and it was once one of the best wooden coasters in the world. From what I understand, Mean Streak just wasn't that good...ever. I feel like the fact that it may end up as a steel coaster doesn't really matter.

^I'm still predicting CoasterBill will lose every piece of crap he has at the mere mention of this.

Nah. My opinion of Mean Streak is that it's a fun ride and its criminally underrated but even then... if we were ranking Cedar Point coasters it would fall below all of them except for Corkscrew and Mine Ride. It's a better ride than Blue Streak if you ride Blue Streak in a wheel seat but if you don't Blue Streak blows it away.

I thoroughly enjoy watching enthusiasts bitch about Mean Streak. I also think it's the most visually appealing coaster on earth and I'd always kind of miss it but if you replace a coaster that falls near the bottom of the lineup with one that would fall near the top (assuming it's on the level of Wicked Cyclone then it would fall below only Millennium Force, Maverick and Raptor for me) then I won't complain.

I'm skeptical of this rumor though. I don't see them making this type of major investment the year after they added Valravn. I see something like what they did with Ghostrider as being much more likely.

Just got back from a quick trip to Ohio to see the family and do Coastermania.

The event was AWESOME! I went last year when there were far too many people. CP was smart this year to charge for the event and limit the number of tickets sold.

The added cruise around the Point was worth every penny. And apparently Jet Express will be doing daily cruises from CP Marina this summer!

Rode Valravn 3X (the view at the top is amazing) and did all of the other major rides with little to no wait.

FunPix is AMAZING! Just $30 for the day or $40 for the season with a season pass. Easy to use and pays for itself after just a few downloads.

Also did Brew and BBQ event. Totally worth every penny! The food portions are HUGE and there were 140+ different beers to sample. We even ended up with extra tickets since we had eaten and drank all we could. A great event that I hope will continue every year.

Hotel Breakers. I stayed there last year and will continue to stay there every time I go to the Point. Outstanding renovations, great food eateries inside, and the shortest walk to the park. Well worth the $$ to stay there.

And now...the pics!

415371118_2016-06-02003.thumb.JPG.e4a8b162e9cc482c62c0477b0db5f2a7.JPG

589036829_2016-06-02006.thumb.JPG.b81237096fa39d3a41d3e10ddd61bd9d.JPG

1022134983_2016-06-02012.thumb.JPG.7995baba465d8e82df6b263fe1b45f42.JPG

1771224675_2016-06-02013.thumb.JPG.d663397888e8805ad7efd6793b7a0974.JPG

1376441340_2016-06-02017.thumb.JPG.dd78454a1b928f19ac66a748de4a1c78.JPG

1152410207_2016-06-03004.thumb.JPG.ef9393d5e543742a5a40f109ea86f466.JPG

311783390_2016-06-03012.thumb.JPG.811d4c9fc93211c0eab46418e235f9b8.JPG

829649822_2016-06-03013.thumb.JPG.7c985201e6d5d9cab7464b4cb18efed4.JPG

629324337_2016-06-03015.thumb.JPG.70dab098c996796aeb5680c02fdda06d.JPG

First train on Coastermania day

1651482400_2016-06-03026.thumb.JPG.2f2482e7d67f50c54be42843301cf035.JPG

1249886749_2016-06-03027.thumb.JPG.dbdd81c68b03599424d34c5cea5a1f8f.JPG

1426511142_2016-06-03040(2).thumb.JPG.5e333400634bbc00f35bff7254610e19.JPG

The nachos on the left were the SNACK portion. One ticket.

632992562_2016-06-03042(2).thumb.JPG.0068259a869960dc8e697d49473dbdc3.JPG

384776958_2016-06-03045(2).thumb.JPG.8990aa19596775be5c328c7decbd88e9.JPG

376468596_2016-06-03047(2).thumb.JPG.e3102c39f0d70ff022aa83a9179d36f0.JPG

1775038480_2016-06-03053(2).thumb.JPG.657a38b21ddec1ece0af6ea1c70d0636.JPG

Gemini midway is beautiful at night.

1031261487_2016-06-03068.thumb.JPG.69d18a7408cfbb3a5df554e96e02fdf4.JPG

2045857771_2016-06-03072.thumb.JPG.cee5ea1fffac0874c49df665e2de4af1.JPG

307401845_2016-06-03078.thumb.JPG.aef3da0ab5d8652ae6e2f22e6c7c1c54.JPG

397011259_2016-06-03079.thumb.JPG.03221c69e829fd0306dfd748cd29221b.JPG

611460229_2016-06-03082.thumb.JPG.448d24fcb1a1f78b17e5a3dc41b83f37.JPG

1595631802_BBQ1.thumb.jpg.1d80179dbc433c92724f3cc23edf67a2.jpg

653161478_BBQ2.thumb.jpg.32b4a4c478b639261f8084ef43adc45c.jpg

1220761841_BBQ3.thumb.jpg.acd3ee9e35e8823a6acd1fce66bfd137.jpg

1756780280_BBQ4.thumb.jpg.6f57a6c293da43e2145f2964ebdb7b76.jpg

1281351243_FunPix1.thumb.jpg.ba282109f9976f3408f4875a4af0ad7f.jpg

348483035_FunPix2.thumb.jpg.0d6f5e36c6b26305457c1dc8530297fb.jpg

Edited by pianojohn

I was browsing Mean Streak topics on another site (only due to sheer boredom, and having exhausted topics on this one, relax... ), and just early this morning somebody, presumably a ride op at CP, said that they were just informed that the MS crew would be reassigned to different positions after July. That would certainly seem to indicate an early closure of the coaster, but again, it's hearsay, so don't put too much stock in it. Still, if true, it's a pretty interesting development, and possibly the clearest sign yet that something big is happening with MS sooner rather than later!

CP would be stupid not to RMC Mean Streak at this point. I know its just a rumor but its a cheaper investment for them to convert it than build something new from the ground up. I do think it would be wild for them to add yet another coaster next year, even if its just a conversion. With Rougarou, you know an RMC'd MS is on the table. The park mgmt is obviously aware that by RMC'ing it they'd basically have the best coaster lineup anywhere so I'm sure its been seriously considered. It's a perfect candidate for CF to dip their toes into working with RMC. And the ride is so massive there is so much cool sh!t that could be done to it and I think give RMC an opportunity to try even more never-before-done elements.

With that said, speaking of rumors it seems there is a annual pattern - off season ends, everyone goes out to their home parks and the board simmers down a bit, trip reports start rolling in, and then right around this time come out the rumors left and right. Can we just enjoy the summer? Some speculation is fun but we'll know all about everything in just 3 short months (that we should be spending having fun, not worrying about next year)!

I was browsing Mean Streak topics on another site (only due to sheer boredom, and having exhausted topics on this one, relax... ), and just early this morning somebody, presumably a ride op at CP, said that they were just informed that the MS crew would be reassigned to different positions after July. That would certainly seem to indicate an early closure of the coaster, but again, it's hearsay, so don't put too much stock in it. Still, if true, it's a pretty interesting development, and possibly the clearest sign yet that something big is happening with MS sooner rather than later!

If this is true, that would be kind of a shame. I was hoping they'd keep it open until Labor Day weekend at least. Oh well, maybe we'll make a trip out on closing weekend anyway. You don't really have to twist my arm to get me to make an extra trip to Cedar Point.

^I'm still predicting CoasterBill will lose every piece of crap he has at the mere mention of this.

Nah. My opinion of Mean Streak is that it's a fun ride and its criminally underrated but even then... if we were ranking Cedar Point coasters it would fall below all of them except for Corkscrew and Mine Ride. It's a better ride than Blue Streak if you ride Blue Streak in a wheel seat but if you don't Blue Streak blows it away.

You like Wilderness Run and Woodstock's Express more, too???

Those two, and the two you mentioned are the four I would put below it, and I'd consider putting Iron Dragon below it too, actually... They're pretty close at least. As for Blue Streak, I love that coaster, and even in a wheel seat might put it over Mean Streak. But otherwise, BS is easily in my Top 10 at CP, and I may like it even more than Magnum and TTD!

If this is true, that would be kind of a shame. I was hoping they'd keep it open until Labor Day weekend at least. Oh well, maybe we'll make a trip out on closing weekend anyway. You don't really have to twist my arm to get me to make an extra trip to Cedar Point.

I thought that seemed a bit early at first as well, but that's pretty much the exact same time they closed Disaster Transport to begin making way for GateKeeper, so I guess it's just about right, if they're aiming for a 2017 debut! I hadn't been planning on returning to CP this Summer, before late August, but if this does hold true, and its closing is announced, I'll definitely have to make a trip out there before the end of July myself!

I don't ride kiddy coasters so I don't really count those. I thought about Iron Dragon too but I have a thing for Arrow suspended coasters, even when that Arrow suspended coaster is Iron Dragon which really doesn't even belong in the same conversation as the other ones. Iron Dragon is also a tremendously popular family ride and it might appeal to more people than any other coaster at Cedar Point. Kids ride it, thrill seekers ride it, it doesn't go upsidedown. It's really a great attraction for what it is and the restraints are tremendously accommodating. It's a shame they raised the height limit though and it's a shame that they stopped using the 3rd train though I understand why if it causes the ride to set up and someone has to go through the woods to re-start lift 2.

I still find it hard to believe that Cedar point would be getting any Roller coaster or Updates to said MS. Seems more likely that Kings island would get a coaster next year. Don't see them open two big coaster in Ohio in the same year.

Also what two parks get more People then Cedar point. Someone said its 3rd in the Chain.

I still find it hard to believe that Cedar point would be getting any Roller coaster or Updates to said MS. Seems more likely that Kings island would get a coaster next year. Don't see them open two big coaster in Ohio in the same year.

Also what two parks get more People then Cedar point. Someone said its 3rd in the Chain.

Knotts and Canada's Wonderland. Canada's Wonderland is open all year though and has daily operations. it would be shocking if that park didn't beat Cedar Point. They also close and re-open for Scary Farm so they count the gate twice in the same day and they pack the place for Scary Farm.

While Cedar Point might be 3rd for attendance, the true metric of significance for Cedar Fair is a park's per capita revenue. With Cedar Point's onsite hotels, multi-day average visits, and the fact that they still garner a third highest attendance with the shortest season in the chain, I'd assume Cedar Point's per capita revenue is significantly higher than other parks in Cedar Fair's portfolio. This metric alone would justify giving Cedar Point top spot for any capital expenditure allocated by Cedar Fair.

While Cedar Point might be 3rd for attendance, the true metric of significance for Cedar Fair is a park's per capita revenue. With Cedar Point's onsite hotels, multi-day average visits, and the fact that they still garner a third highest attendance with the shortest season in the chain, I'd assume Cedar Point's per capita revenue is significantly higher than other parks in Cedar Fair's portfolio. This metric alone would justify giving Cedar Point top spot for any capital expenditure allocated by Cedar Fair.

When people were questioning why King's Island might be getting a coaster next year I posted this. The image is directly from an investors presentation given by Cedar Fair.

Cedar Fair does not break down the numbers for us but they do provide a nice little pie chart. You can clearly see Cedar Point makes almost 25% of the entire chain's profits. But if you look at the top 4 parks combined they make around two thirds of the money. Which is why the big parks get something every year and see a lot more big coasters then the smaller parks.

Cedar Fair announced last year they were planning on Capital spending of $150 million for the parks 2017 season and the same amount for the following year as well. There is enough money Cedar Point could get a water park expansion, and rebuild Mean Streak which total I would guess around $30 million. Kings Island could get an giga costing around $30 to 40 million. That would still leave $80 to $90 million for the rest of the chain.

Cedar Point's 150th anniversary is in 2020 and the park has publicly stated they plan on celebrating it. I suspect they are trying to get the park looking as good as possible before then.