TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Let's be honest, the only people sad when Mean Streak doesn't open at 10 is probably Mean Streak Henry and Bill. I don't think we see many people sprinting to it first.

Let's be honest, the only people sad when Mean Streak doesn't open at 10 is probably Mean Streak Henry and Bill. I don't think we see many people sprinting to it first.

True, but most of the video is about trying to make sure Top Thrill Dragster and Mean Streak open with the park in the morning. But then I would not be sad to just see Mean Streak torn down.

It's nice to see that they extended the use of those tickets purchased for the closed days to not only the rest of Cedar Point's 2016 operating season but to Michigan's Adventure and King's Island, as well. That really helps cover a wide geographical region, allowing people who potentially can't make it back to CP the option to visit one of the other parks instead so the tickets don't completely go to waste.

I laughed at them saying "dragster has to open by 10" usually even if its fully working its still not open at 10 due to them starting testing late.

There is another line later on about "you don't want to get a reputation for rides not opening on time". Sad to say they totally have that reputation mostly because of Top Thrill Dragster and Mean Streak. Mean Streak they no longer even try to open with the park in the morning and it does not even run the entire season, they either close it early so it does not run during Haunt or open it several weeks into the season.

That's not true at all. It ran all year last season. It just opened late this year and closed early a few years ago because of a fire that was probably set by some whiny enthusiast but as always... Mean Streak prevailed and has continued to piss off enthusiasts to this very day.

Mean Streak has opened on time every season besides this one. It closed early in 2010 and 2011 both bc they wanted to do extensive track work on the ride. The fire was from them doing said track work and it just looked like it closed early for the fire bc it happend the Monday or Tuesday after we closed for good the prior Sunday. I was on the crew trust me lol

I laughed at them saying "dragster has to open by 10" usually even if its fully working its still not open at 10 due to them starting testing late.

There is another line later on about "you don't want to get a reputation for rides not opening on time". Sad to say they totally have that reputation mostly because of Top Thrill Dragster and Mean Streak. Mean Streak they no longer even try to open with the park in the morning and it does not even run the entire season, they either close it early so it does not run during Haunt or open it several weeks into the season.

That's not true at all. It ran all year last season. It just opened late this year and closed early a few years ago because of a fire that was probably set by some whiny enthusiast but as always... Mean Streak prevailed and has continued to piss off enthusiasts to this very day.

I'm with you, coasterbill. In addition, Mean Streak has historically been closed on Fridays during Halloweekends, as part of the somewhat reduced menu of attractions on those nights. It's a lot of cherry picking to say that Cedar Point doesn't care about being prompt, when the park does put a lot of off-season support into Mean Streak, on top of its daily maintenance, PLUS the fact that it churns three trains just about every day. As for Dragster, it and its green brother in Jersey are notoriously cantankerous rides. There are a ton of coasters here, and not everything will be 100% flawless. Sorry kenban, but the sum of some particular issues and specific closures isn't tantamount to "they no longer even try." That's just not true about Mean Streak or any of their coasters.

I'm with you, coasterbill. In addition, Mean Streak has historically been closed on Fridays during Halloweekends, as part of the somewhat reduced menu of attractions on those nights. It's a lot of cherry picking to say that Cedar Point doesn't care about being prompt, when the park does put a lot of off-season support into Mean Streak, on top of its daily maintenance, PLUS the fact that it churns three trains just about every day. As for Dragster, it and its green brother in Jersey are notoriously cantankerous rides. There are a ton of coasters here, and not everything will be 100% flawless. Sorry kenban, but the sum of some particular issues and specific closures isn't tantamount to "they no longer even try." That's just not true about Mean Streak or any of their coasters.

What I mean by they no longer even try is purely about the fact that it typically no longer opens at the same time as the gate in the morning. For example on Saturday it was not scheduled to start running until I think it was 11 AM.

Also, it was open on Fridays last year during Halloweekends. This year it seems they only have 2 trains as I have not seen the red train anywhere yet.

They really did a great job expanding their Friday night offerings last year. I think Corkscrew, Gemeni and Mine Ride were the only adult coasters that didn't open. Hopefully that trend continues. Most flats were open too.The only things that were closed that would have bothered me at all were Witches Wheel, Corkscrew, Gemeni and Sky Ride. I understand all of them though except maybe Witches Wheel which you would think could run with 1 op and would be midly popular with the Haloween crowd since it does upside down. I imagine it has to do with employee rotations though. For example I remember hearing that the reason Super Himalaya was closed was because they're the same group of ops that run Corkscrew which was closed.

Again though, this is second hand info. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Winds from the storm on Sunday were estimated to be as high as 80-90 MPH.

Full statement from the NWS.

...Microburst /Straight Line Wind Damage/ Confirmed Near Sandusky in Erie County Ohio...

Location...Sandusky in Erie County Ohio

Date...June 5 2016

Estimated Time...1:32 PM EDT

Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...80 - 90 mph

Maximum Path Width...0.5 miles

Path Length...2.25 miles

The National Weather Service in Cleveland, Ohio conducted a storm survey in Sandusky, Ohio this afternoon. Based on the survey, it was determined that a downburst created the wind damage in the area Sunday afternoon. The damage consisted mainly of tree branches with a few uprooted trees. Several power poles were blown over and broken on the causeway to Cedar Point. It was estimated that most winds were between 70-80 mph in downtown Sandusky with winds as high as 80-90 mph on the causeway.

Mean Streak prevailed and has continued to piss off enthusiasts to this very day.

I know for a fact it's not only enthusiasts it's pissing off! I can never get anybody else (we're talking GP types here) who goes with me to CP to ride it, even though I'd be willing to do it, and would tell them the correct way to ride it (which I've been doing since the 90's, before online coaster forums!) Combine that with its low ridership numbers, and it's safe to say that it pretty much appeals to a niche few at this point. As much as there's plenty to blame on whiny enthusiasts, I don't think negtive attitudes about Mean Streak are included...

Mean Streak prevailed and has continued to piss off enthusiasts to this very day.

I know for a fact it's not only enthusiasts it's pissing off! I can never get anybody else (we're talking GP types here) who goes with me to CP to ride it

I wonder if they thought that if they placed the Beer and BBQ event near Mean Streak that it would draw more riders?

Seriously though, the last time I rode it on a Halloweekends in the front seat three years ago, I enjoyed my ride. I have ridden it many, many times since it's inaugural season and I agree that I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be - as long as you ride in the front (I'll have to try the lean forward thing).

Yes, I admit that I was a little buzzed the last time I rode it and probably will be this weekend when I am there. But I will give it a ride in the front seat after slugging down (I mean sipping) a few craft beers at the event...and then I'll be raving on here next week how it was almost as good as The Beast in the front seat at night!

^Let me just say... I rode GateKeeper after the Beer and BBQ event last week, and even though I always enjoy that ride (contrary to many of you, it seems), it was on a whole new level with a slight buzz going on! Highly recommended!

^Let me just say... I rode GateKeeper after the Beer and BBQ event last week, and even though I always enjoy that ride (contrary to many of you, it seems), it was on a whole new level with a slight buzz going on! Highly recommended!

I too rode GK with a nice buzz when we were there last year and it was the least memorable but most likely the most fun of all the laps we took on it.

I'd just like to ride GK in any bodily state at this point! Its been so long since I've been to CP and I'm officially over it! 2004 was my first, last, and only time at the park!

I too rode GK with a nice buzz when we were there last year and it was the least memorable but most likely the most fun of all the laps we took on it.

Yeah, my main memory of it was that key-holing was especially fun in that state!

Park is pretty busy today. Queued up at magnum entrance at 8:45. They tried to open the gate at 9 but it wouldn't work. Huge crowd walked down to windseeker entrance and we waited 40 min to get in. Raptors queue is completely full right now and flash pass line is spilling all the way out to the midway.

Park is pretty busy today. Queued up at magnum entrance at 8:45. They tried to open the gate at 9 but it wouldn't work. Huge crowd walked down to windseeker entrance and we waited 40 min to get in. Raptors queue is completely full right now and flash pass line is spilling all the way out to the midway.

Thats just because Raptor is at the front of the park. If you look at the webcams they are showing the parking lot right now and it looks like it's really not very crowded at all.

^^Yes the rest of the day has been a lot quieter than it seemed like it would be in the morning. It's chilly and the water park is DEAD... tempting....

^ Truth.