TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^I dont understand why coaster enthusiasts should enjoy riding absolutely every rollercoaster either. I always shake my head when a terrible coaster is being demolished and people say that it's always sad to see any coaster go. It's like saying that car enthusiasts should enjoy driving any car ever made, regardless of how terrible it is.

While I agree you shouldn't HAVE TO like every coaster, I know I personally love some coasters many people dislike, so I don't think it is wrong for people to be sad or angry about demolition of a coaster you just happen to find terrible.

Guys, you got me really terrified with this one. How can they be sure that nothing will keep the brakes from popping up after the launch on TTD? haha

I really want to know the answer to this as well.

I don't know all the mechanics behind it, but the "natural" position of the brake fins is up. It requires power to retract them and hold them, and the message to send power to retract them is only fired during the launch. So even if the entire system went haywire (for lack of a better term), the brakes are up. Failsafe.

Correct me if that wasn't the best explanation/I missed something, but that's my general understanding.

Guys, you got me really terrified with this one. How can they be sure that nothing will keep the brakes from popping up after the launch on TTD? haha

I really want to know the answer to this as well.

This is just an assumption, so please don't think this is 100% correct, but here's what I think:

The pneumatic cylinders that move the brakes up and down are most likely connected to the air compressor (It could be hydraulics, but the hiss of air prior to the launch suggests otherwise) with "normally open" control valves. This means that in the case of power failure, the control valves would go to their de-energized position and allow air into the cap end of the cylinders. The cylinders would extend a result and the brakes would be brought to the up position.

-Speaking of Project 2017, I've decided I know what I want it to be... All new, completely renovated bathrooms across the entire park! Seriously, every single bathroom I went in over the course of the day (and a couple of the guys I was there with had to go to the bathroom an unusually large number of times!) was just dank, disgusting, and sub-par, especially compared with all of the other newly updated infrastructure in the park! I don't know if this is actually going to happen, but I know if it does, I will not be complaining in the least about not getting another coaster or ride, as it'll be a big upgrade IMHO! Soak City expansion, and all new bathrooms... Yes, I could definitely be satisfied with that in 2017!

Nice write-up on your trip, & I'm glad you had a great day! To your bathroom point, I made a post about this months ago. It's a very strange collective oversight to me that bathroom quality at parks often suffers death by a thousand cuts: lacking in adequate size, attendants, cleanliness, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. - What is that puddle!? What is that drip!? Why won't my stall door shut!? My stall door is shut, but why is there a three-inch gap to the outside world!? Why is there only one stall in the restroom anchoring the busiest part of the park? So on and so forth. And this is just in men's rooms.

The Ohio Turnpike rest stops, believe it or not, are up to a quality that I'd gladly take in the amusement parks (and not just Cedar Point, to be fair).

The restrooms in the Iron Dragon/train station plaza are pretty good at Cedar Point. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into the ones near Magnum, thought "Nope!" & walked right out. It's the size of a secluded public park outhouse in there! I feel bad for the attendants who have to stay in and maintain those sardine can restrooms. To the point, there is often no uniform standard across parks -- you'll get one bathroom upgrade in some part of the park to coincide with a refresh of an area, but in another part of the park, hello 1986!

151981048_ScreenShot2016-05-20at4_23_25PM.thumb.png.8d4b59511db9c20f5703e4a13a7029c4.png

Put your hands in the air like you just don't care

Camera 3 is in my favorite position today! Lots of rides in view. All I need is a front row ride on TTD in the morning followed by all day laps on Millennium Force, Skyhawk and Maverick and I'm a happy person. Hitting up the rest of the park is a bonus

^I dont understand why coaster enthusiasts should enjoy riding absolutely every rollercoaster either. I always shake my head when a terrible coaster is being demolished and people say that it's always sad to see any coaster go. It's like saying that car enthusiasts should enjoy driving any car ever made, regardless of how terrible it is.

I think it's more of everything that comes along with the coaster experience, like memories and such. It's natural for people to feel a bit sad when a part of their past is going away. Sure, coasters like Mean Streak suck, but I'll be honest, when riding those types with a large group of your friends, and you're all screaming in pain together, that makes for a hilarious memory. I'd rather be on the world's worst coaster, than be stuck at work behind a desk getting yelled at by my boss. You're not going to see me planting flowers and singing kumbaya when something is demolished, but in the end, a roller coaster is still a roller coaster.

^This reply right here is exactly what I was going for on my original post. For example, I dragged a few people up to CP last weekend who had never been, it was a bucket list trip for them. I'm not a fan of Corkscrew for the reasons that have been mentioned, but I laughed my rear end off on Corkscrew and Magnum listening to them playfully complain and scream "YEP...SHE'S A ROUGH B****!!!" While obviously someday they'll be torn down, the memories of that one ride with them will be the part I remember.

I think it's more of everything that comes along with the coaster experience, like memories and such. It's natural for people to feel a bit sad when a part of their past is going away. Sure, coasters like Mean Streak suck, but I'll be honest, when riding those types with a large group of your friends, and you're all screaming in pain together, that makes for a hilarious memory. I'd rather be on the world's worst coaster, than be stuck at work behind a desk getting yelled at by my boss. You're not going to see me planting flowers and singing kumbaya when something is demolished, but in the end, a roller coaster is still a roller coaster.

I feel like Sitting at home is a better use of my time than riding a crappy coaster. If it's no good, burn it down! Or RMC the $#!+ out of it

For some folks a crappy coaster is a memory for them when it was good back in the day. For some it was crappy back in the day and you rode it with your best friend anyway several times just because the line was walk on. Sometimes when you're younger you can take the beating, and it can be fun.

One thing that comes to mind is Scrambler at Magic Mountain. Scrambler is a basic flat, but probably the BEST of its style I have ever ridden. When I was about 10, and my brother was 7, and he and I both brought friends who were his age and mine, we probably rode that f***er 10-15 times in a row, on a couple visits. And we'd rotate each time. And I'd pull to the inside of the car, and slam my brother or his friend as the forces pulled me to the outside of the car. Then we'd switch, and they'd do it to me. Then we'd yell "Speed it up!" as we passed the operator (as if he could do something about it). Now, the Scrambler is still there, for now, and who would really care about an old flat? BUT. When that thing goes, and it's not there anymore, a part of the memory goes away too. And that's something I can appreciate from folks who miss coasters we may hate or not understand why THEY care when they're gone.

Lots of people are different, and certain people are going to miss certain coasters for certain reasons, and some of us are not.

What I don't understand is hating on someone who is going to miss a ride, whether it's a good ride or not. I have memories on so many coasters that IMO were great or crappy, and are now long gone, but I still miss their crappyness or miss how I liked them just because of the memories.

Except for Psyclone at Magic Mountain or Mean Streak at Cedar Point, screw both those rides. LOL

This is a very interesting philosophical question. I understand the inherent value of the roller coaster experience (good or bad) however I also believe part of the reason one like's roller coaster is because they are fun and enjoyable.

I fall in squarely in the "if it is crap tear it down" category. If I am just getting a credit then that is cool but if a roller coaster is crap than it has no re-rideablity which has a few ripple effects: (1) It is just taking up space for something else that could be great and (2) It does not help park capacity b/c no one rides the crappy coaster. I for one was happy when Kings Dominion got rid of Shockwave and I didn't care if they said coming in 2016-- An empty patch of grass, lol.

More to the point Cedar Point does not have very many crappers. Corkscrew will be gone one day even if they keep the track over head. I hope they never get rid of Magnum and would love to see them give it a good year of rehab including some track work, some tunnel enhancements and those B&M trains. Mean Streak will be RMC'ed eventually

Magnum and would love to see them give it a good year of rehab including some track work, some tunnel enhancements and those B&M trains.

Gross.

Magnum does an extraordinary amount of riders. In 2014 it gave 1,355,861 rides. The only rides (not just coasters) in the park that gave more were Gatekeeper, Millennium Force and Raptor. Magnum isn't going anywhere and it doesn't need fixing.

I went to Cedar Point last week and decided to give Magnum another shot after riding it 3 years ago for my first time. And nope, I still hate it. It's just rough as hell and the restraint totally sucks. People talk about Skyrush at Hershey hurting their legs, but I believe Magnum XL is worse than that. I know this coaster is special to a lot of people, but if it ever came to a vote...I'd say tear it down and put up a B&M hyper in its place. And just for those that know that can answer this question, cause I don't and I'm curious cause I have never been on one...Are the restraints on the Morgan Hypers (Seaworld's Steel Eel, Dorney's Steel Force, World's of Fun's Mamba and Valleyfair's Wild Thing) the same as the one's on the Arrow Magnum XL? And are those coasters as rough as Magnum? They all look very similar, that's why I'm asking.

I went to Cedar Point last week and decided to give Magnum another shot after riding it 3 years ago for my first time. And nope, I still hate it. It's just rough as hell and the restraint totally sucks. People talk about Skyrush at Hershey hurting their legs, but I believe Magnum XL is worse than that. I know this coaster is special to a lot of people, but if it ever came to a vote...I'd say tear it down and put up a B&M hyper in its place. And just for those that know that can answer this question, cause I don't and I'm curious cause I have never been on one...Are the restraints on the Morgan Hypers (Seaworld's Steel Eel, Dorney's Steel Force, World's of Fun's Mamba and Valleyfair's Wild Thing) the same as the one's on the Arrow Magnum XL? And are those coasters as rough as Magnum? They all look very similar, that's why I'm asking.

No, Morgan hypers (with the exception of Steel Eel) are the most forceless coasters in existence. They're very smooth but as hypers go they're also a bit dull.

On Magnum, tighten the seatbelt as much as possible to stop yourself from slamming into the bar. I was never a fan of Magnum until a former ride op on this site shared that trick with us and now I absolutely love the ride. It prevents all thigh crushing and it puts Morgan hypers to shame.

No, Morgan hypers (with the exception of Steel Eel) are the most forceless coasters in existence. They're very smooth but as hypers go they're also a bit dull.

On Magnum, tighten the seatbelt as much as possible to stop yourself from slamming into the bar. I was never a fan of Magnum until a former ride op on this site shared that trick with us and now I absolutely love the ride. It prevents all thigh crushing and it puts Morgan hypers to shame.

Thanks for the trick! Next time I'm at CP, I will try it and give Magnum another shot.