TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

And sorry for the double post but I'm hearing from multiple sources (and the fact that it's constantly running on webcam supports this) that Mean Streak is open for another fun filled season!

giphy.gif

awwww maaaaaaan. Only hating because I missed it by three days.

Finally, this thing.

That would be a water tower. The township I live in built one a few years ago very similar to the one CP is getting. They build the top part on the ground, then raise it up to its final position at the top. I was very confused on it as well when ours was getting built.

Here's the final product (pending giant Cedar Point logo plastered on theirs.)

And sorry for the double post but I'm hearing from multiple sources (and the fact that it's constantly running on webcam supports this) that Mean Streak is open for another fun filled season!

giphy.gif

awwww maaaaaaan. Only hating because I missed it by three days.

You didn't miss a thing. Billy's on that good good sh!t when it comes to his beloved Mean Streak

giphy.gif

Sweet!! And I'll enjoy another season of not riding that boring piece of rough garbage!!

Not to take away from your fun though, Bill! I'm sure you'll still have a blast riding up front as you lean forward, touch your knees together, close your left eye, flare your nostrils, stick your tongue out of the left side of your mouth, and flap your arms like a chicken! I hear that beast gives rides like it's '91 when you do those simple things!

(I kid cause I appreciate your always entertaining posts!)

Finally, this thing.

That would be a water tower. The township I live in built one a few years ago very similar to the one CP is getting. They build the top part on the ground, then raise it up to its final position at the top. I was very confused on it as well when ours was getting built.

Here's the final product (pending giant Cedar Point logo plastered on theirs.)

That's unfortunate, I thought we were getting something pretty cool, like this:

screen-shot-2014-03-09-at-5-13-35-pm.png

I'm sure you'll still have a blast riding up front as you lean forward, touch your knees together, close your left eye, flare your nostrils, stick your tongue out of the left side of your mouth, and flap your arms like a chicken! I hear that beast gives rides like it's '91 when you do those simple things!

dead.gif.c87e06af67254c604f22c2d9db40434d.gif

Don't worry I'll have a great time. Riding is more fun than hating.

In all seriousness I still think the complaints about Mean Streak are completely overblown simply because of the park that it's located in and the amount of room it takes up. It's standing in the way of enthusiast's RMC wet dream, I get that... but it's not nearly as bad as everyone says it is. It's a rough wood coaster unless you ride it in a really stupid way, and if you do that it still offers you no airtime or notable forces to speak of. I get that, but people love to proclaim that it's one of the worst wood coasters in the world and that's ridiculous. There are dozens of wood coasters I can think of that are far worse, many of them where regardless of how you ride it they still beat the hell out of you. I enjoy Mean Streak just because it's fun riding through it. Even people that hate it know it's one of the most visually appealing coasters in America and it's location by the lake makes it even better so I enjoy riding it, especially because if you don't have Fastlane it's a welcome break from long lines.

Edited by coasterbill

Indeed it is, and I agree 100%! I just spend my time throwing my hands up and riding the coasters there that are actually......what's the right word?......

Oh yeah - GOOD.

I can get an extra lap on Maverick or Millennium instead of wasting time walking over and barely waiting for that thing. Heck, I'll just take the extra lap on Maverick and kill two birds with one stone, since the best part of Mean Streak is how it looks......from afar!

Coasterbill, Mean Streak is a good example of what being an enthusiast is about. No offense to all the proclaimed "enthusiasts" and the ones making the trip for Coastermania in a few weeks; but the point of being an "enthusiast" is you enjoy any roller coaster...regardless of how crappy it might be and find something enjoyable about it. I like Mean Streak because it's almost the mirror image of the Texas Giant before RMC did their magic back home here in Texas. For me, it's like riding old nostalgia and going back in time to when I enjoyed riding the TG, even through the headaches it gave me towards it's last season So Ride On for another season Coasterbill!

Mean Streak is utter garbage! It's big, rough, and boring! Very unfortunate that it it takes up such a huge plot of land.

See, this sort of proves my point.

In my opinion, the worst coaster on Cedar Point property (thanks to 3 shiny new floorless trains) is now Corkscrew. Here you have an Arrow looper with a f**king bunny hop that delivers ejector airtime directly into an Arrow over the shoulder restraint in a bucket seat where anyone over 6 feet tall has to slouch anyway that immediately follows the first drop. That's literally one of the worst ideas in roller coaster history, but nobody cares. Nobody complains about Corkscrew or acknowledges it's existence. Why? Because it doesn't take up any room and it looks pretty. That's it... and as I said before, the only reason nobody complains about corkscrew and everyone complains about Mean Streak is because it's ruining your RMC wet dream. That's a bigger problem than the coaster itself.

And I get it. I hate Corkscrew and I hope it runs forever because it looks amazing. But I'm just pointing out that it's all about irrational hopes and dreams for Mean Streak's location when it'll probably just get replaced with a B&M that everyone complains about the rattle on anyway. And when that day comes I'll be laughing my ass off.

The difference between Mean Streak and Corkscrew is that Corkscrew has history, and yes, takes a lot less real estate. It interacts with the midway well, and isn't tucked away in the back corner of the park so it still gets better ridership. I have never had a problem with pain on Corkscrew other than the actual Corkscrews before I knew to tuck my head to the left when entering them, and I'm over 6' tall.

Mean Streak can retain it's visual and be turned into an amazing ride, where Corkscrew cannot. That's where the call for MS to get the transformation comes from. I love the look of it, I just don't like the chiropractic bill I get from riding it anywhere but front row.

I just don't like the chiropractic bill I get from riding it anywhere but front row.

Then don't ride anywhere but front row. I hear people say the same thing about Kingda Ka and I never understood it. If it sucks in every other seat then stop riding it there.

In all seriouness I never said it was a great ride, just that the complaining is over-the-top because of the high profile park that it's in and the amount of room it takes up. And at this point I love watching people bitch about it. In the meantime I'll be in the front row having fun.

The infield is currently used for maintenance and storage, along with a Halloweekends Haunt (Eden Musee), so it really isn't wasted.

I didn't know that. Does the line ever fill the switchbacks? Could they replace some of the queue with a new tower ride?

Eden Musee replaced the large section of switchbacks that used to occupy that area. MS line now goes basically straight to the station with no switchbacks at all. The haunt now takes up the entire area of "free space" back there, unless they were to get rid of the maintenance area.

I totally agree with the point about finding something good in each ride and really appreciating where they came from. Yes I've been on far worse wooden roller coasters than Mean Streak, and I'll continue to enjoy Mean Streak on and on with the short lines. It provides a fun ride really no matter where you sit, wooden coasters are supposed to be a little rough. It's what they're known for, and I appreciate the different experience that a wooden coaster gives over a steel one.

Eden Musee replaced the large section of switchbacks that used to occupy that area. MS line now goes basically straight to the station with no switchbacks at all. The haunt now takes up the entire area of "free space" back there, unless they were to get rid of the maintenance area.

Well - there's even more I didnt know. I have never kept up with Huant at any Cedar Fair park. Nor have I been to Cedar Point during Haunt. Sorry.

I totally agree with the point about finding something good in each ride and really appreciating where they came from. Yes I've been on far worse wooden roller coasters than Mean Streak, and I'll continue to enjoy Mean Streak on and on with the short lines. It provides a fun ride really no matter where you sit, wooden coasters are supposed to be a little rough. It's what they're known for, and I appreciate the different experience that a wooden coaster gives over a steel one.

I agree with this, I was just making a statement as to where the general opinion comes from.

In my opinion, I would have a company come in and fully re-track the ride as it is, with possibly new trains (that ideally can handle the size of the ride). Gravity Group, GCI, whoever. I like a wooden shake-n-rattle, I just can't handle that much more than once a trip.

I was at the park last weekend for the first time and I was very turned down that Mean Streak wasnt open. But I rode all the others, and my opinion is that the worst coaster there is Rougarou. The only enjoyable thing on that ride is the Dive Loop, and even with the floorless trains my head banged so bad. Maybe if they put the new restraints Id like it better. Corkscrew was so much fun!

(Favorite ride of the park was Maverick though. And Valravn kicks ass!!!)

I love to break Bill's balls about stuff like this because we're friends outside of TPR and he makes himself an easy target. And he can dish it out as good if not better than anyone else here so its fair game.

the point of being an "enthusiast" is you enjoy any roller coaster...regardless of how crappy it might be and find something enjoyable about it.

But this is poppycock. I love coasters and definitely will scream about it from the rooftops (I'm not some closet case about it like some people feel the need to be) but that does NOT mean I enjoy any and every roller coaster. It's literally impossible to find redeeming qualities in certain rides. ("Oh the queue was nice..." "Great station on that one!"??)

I'll certainly ride any coaster, but some of them flat out suck. So you're saying because I have a negative opinion of certain rides (while obviously absolutely loving others!) that I can't really be an enthusiast?

wat.jpg.d15b93fdcb7e49fcf0dcf78351f5ed2b.jpg

^I dont understand why coaster enthusiasts should enjoy riding absolutely every rollercoaster either. I always shake my head when a terrible coaster is being demolished and people say that it's always sad to see any coaster go. It's like saying that car enthusiasts should enjoy driving any car ever made, regardless of how terrible it is.