TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Little mini trip report for Tuesday 5/17:

Weather looked a little dodgy on the way in. Pretty overcast, sprinkling as we got in the parking lot, car said 53 degrees... Let's see how this goes.

In the park at 10:10

- Man, there are a lot of buses and kids around. Yay, Physics Week...

10:20 - Valravn (45min) Skipped

- Looking at the push of people at the front of the park that early, we saw it was listed at 45min, but looked more like an hour or so. We moved on.

10:30 - Rougarou (walkon)

- Not a single person in line... Perfect. Walked right up and into the seat. So happy they decided on the floorless trains, couldn't stand Mantis (no pun intended).

10:48 - Millennium Force (15min)

- With everyone at the front of the park, not much of a line for MF. Decided to wait a little bit longer for second seat. Definitely more rattle than I remembered, but also delivered more air than I can remember as well.

11:25 - Maverick (45min) Skipped

- Nope. Only running 4 trains, and the line was crawling. We'll come back.

11:35 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride (5min)

- Was essentially a walkon, but only running one train, so made it about a 5 minute wait.

11:41 - SkyHawk (walkon)

- Haven't ridden this since opening year, but with no one in line we decided to hit it. More fun than I remembered.

12:00 - Magnum XL-200 (23min)

- Ugh, please pull out the second train. Rode middle row (always the smoothest) in last car. Ejector air strong as ever. Watched TTD roll back in testing, and trains didn't move for another couple of hours.

12:35 - Power Tower [Red] (walkon)

- No wait, so we decided to hit the red side, which normally I pass over.

12:39 - SkyRide (5min)

- Great to see its running strong for another year

12:52 - Gatekeeper (15min) left side

- Suprisingly long lines for everything near Valravn (Raptor was at about 1.5hr), but GK was empty.

1:11 - Gatekeeper (15min) right side

- Decided to re-ride with the short lines.

1:40 - Valravn (1.25hr) Skipped

- Got even longer. Nope, we'll be back.

2:11 - Maverick (1hr) Skipped

- Another longer line, we'll come back.

2:34 - Power Tower [blue] (15min)

- Sun finally came out, and so did the humidity. Hit the blue side this time, as soon as we got to the top saw activity on TTD, so we meandered over that way afterwards.

2:47 - Top Thrill Dragster started cycling, line opened at 3:18

3:18 - Top Thrill Dragster (20min)

- Once the line opened, we got on quickly. Been a while since I've ridden it, but still love this one trick pony.

3:54 - Valravn (40min)

- Finally decided it's worth it, and holy crap is it ever. Short layout, but damn it packs a punch. Drop is great, and that barrel roll gives A LOT of hangtime. Got air on the hill at the end as well. Great additional for Cedar Point.

5:11 - Raptor (15min)

- The line was gone from earlier, as it looks like most of the schools have begun leaving. Always worth the wait when < 20 minutes.

5:35 - Blue Streak (10min)

- Holy crap, I never remember having so much ejector air on the ride. Feels a lot smoother through the turn around.

5:50 - Millenium Force (20min)

- Had to have one more ride on MF in the back row. Love the pull over the top of the hill.

6:17 - Maverick (30min)

- Line died, so we finally hit it up, front row (3 train wait over any other row).

6:58 - Maverick (15min) Uh, oh...

- Since the line died, we decided to re-ride, then head up front to hit Valravn one or two more times until the park closed. Me and my buddy separated from the other two in our group and went a train ahead, and while sitting in the brakes, our friends ended up stalling out in the tunnel. Ended up waiting in the brakes for about 45 minutes, while our friends in the tunnel were waiting to be launched. Finally, they launched out, they rearranged the trains, and we got off just about at 7:50. The ops handed out Exit Entry passes to any ride, but unfortunately by the time we were able to make it up front, all of the lines were closed. Even though people were still cycling through Valravn, they wouldn't let us use the passes because the "lines were closed" Oh well, have one pass to use next time.

Total Rides:

Blue Streak

Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Gatekeeper (x2)

Magnum XL-200

Maverick (x2)

Millennium Force (x2)

Power Tower (x2)

Raptor

Rougarou

Skyhawk

Sky Ride

Top Thrill Dragster

Recommendation: Get FunPix and avoid Physics week. Normally, on a weekday in May, everything will be <15mins, but damn did the park stack up with middle and high schoolers. Might head back next week. FunPix, once set up, is really quick and definitely worth it. Got about $90 worth of on-ride photos on just the first day. Definitely adds some fun to the mix seeing what you can come up with for on-ride photos since you know you'll get them for "free" afterwards.

Hey guys!

Been lurking on here for a few weeks now (Been hyped about Valravn!!)

My family will be heading to CP Memorial Day weekend.. (Ya I already know to expect longer-than-normal lines). But I am hoping to get some tips/suggestions from some of you guys to help manage our time! (I have been to CP 3 times before. Since my last time here, CP opened GateKeeper, Valravn and changed Mantis)

-I will be staying at Breakers Express.

-We are driving up Friday morning (Coming from Central NY). We will be getting the twilight pass for Friday night. (Question 1:What would be the best rides to wait for, and what should we skip for the following day.

-Since we are staying at the Breakers Express we will get into the park an hour early on Saturday. Question 2:During this hour, What rides should I expect to be open? Should we "walk fast" to Valravn first?

-Which rides do/do-not have a "test-seat". My brother is a bigger guy who will probably need to test out the seats before going in line.. Its sad tho, Because honestly, He isnt even "Fat" just has really big thighs.. Its not even in his stomach that is a problem.. As in previous parks we see many other "obese" people go on rides just fine, but he cant.

-We will be heading home Sunday morning. I am a little concerned about time.. So I really want a plan before going

I appreciate the advice!

Hey guys!

Been lurking on here for a few weeks now (Been hyped about Valravn!!)

My family will be heading to CP Memorial Day weekend.. (Ya I already know to expect longer-than-normal lines). But I am hoping to get some tips/suggestions from some of you guys to help manage our time! (I have been to CP 3 times before. Since my last time here, CP opened GateKeeper, Valravn and changed Mantis)

-I will be staying at Breakers Express.

-We are driving up Friday morning (Coming from Central NY). We will be getting the twilight pass for Friday night. (Question 1:What would be the best rides to wait for, and what should we skip for the following day.

-Since we are staying at the Breakers Express we will get into the park an hour early on Saturday. Question 2:During this hour, What rides should I expect to be open? Should we "walk fast" to Valravn first?

-Which rides do/do-not have a "test-seat". My brother is a bigger guy who will probably need to test out the seats before going in line.. Its sad tho, Because honestly, He isnt even "Fat" just has really big thighs.. Its not even in his stomach that is a problem.. As in previous parks we see many other "obese" people go on rides just fine, but he cant.

-We will be heading home Sunday morning. I am a little concerned about time.. So I really want a plan before going

I appreciate the advice!

Before answering any of your questions, I will ask you a question, Is Fastlane+ an option? Everything kinda revolves around that haha

^ This

Early entry includes Valravn, Millennium Force, Maverick, Gatekeeper, Tiki Twirl, Cadillac Cars, Dodgem, Cedar Downs, Midway Carousel and Kiddie Kingdom. I would either enter from the Marina gate and go to Valravn (long walk from Breakers) or the resort gate and go to Maverick. Either way try to throw in Millennium Force right before 10am and beat some crowds.

The only coaster that comes to mind as being a tight fit is Wicked Twister but there may be more.

A few other tips:

- You can ride Gatekeeper during early entry but once 10 AM hits avoid Gatekeeper, Raptor and Valravn for a few hours unless you have Fastlane.

- On Friday Gemeni will probably only be running one side. Wait until Saturday to ride it as it's much more fun that way.

- Of course the obligatory "Ride Mean Streak in row 1 and lean foward keeping your back completely off the seat back" and "Tighten the seatbelts as much as possible to avoid thigh crushing on Magnum" tips. Also ride the Sky Ride frequently. The line isn't as long as it looks and I can confirm that the ride is both "amaze-balls" and "the bomb dot com".

- Since you mentioned that you haven't ridden Rougarou, try it near the back. It's very forceful (as floorless coasters go) back there.

- When you come back be sure to write a trip report!

- In that trip report please for the love of god don't talk about Valravn or Millennium Force rattling. lol

Welcome to TPR and have fun at Cedar Point!

So some members of my family are trying to plan a trip to Cedar Point at some point between June 12 & June 26. Do any members here have any recommendations as to when would be the best time to go and how many days we will want to spend there? We love coasters and would like to ride everything. Would a Fast Land pass be worth it ever?

Question to coasterbill, and others who've been there:

He didn't ask or mention it on the previous page, but I'm curious, as to

what are some/few really good food spots in the park, you'd recommend?

For Future Touring: 2017, thanks.

Edited by Nrthwnd

When I did early entry on Saturday they had the marina gate closed.

Seriously? That must be brand new. Okay, then enter either the main gate or the resort gate to be safe. I'd enter the main gate personally.

I forgot to chime in before, they weren't allowing people to use the Marina gate for early entry on Preview Sunday either. There was a guard stopping people that were not actually coming from the Marina. Those that did get through to the gate didn't get through until after the front gaters got to the ride anyways, and they seemed pissed. FYI! Not sure how things have been since, though.

Question to coasterbill, and others who've been there:

He didn't ask or mention it on the previous page, but I'm curious, as to

what are some/few really good food spots in the park, you'd recommend?

For Future Touring: 2017, thanks.

The famous Cedar Point fresh cut french fries are pretty good and the chicken at the all-new Frontier Inn next to Maverick's exit is pretty damn good as well.

I never bother with table service restaurants at parks but if you're there multiple days then I strongly recommend Famous Dave's. Go out the resort gate and it's a 2 minute walk right in the Marina. You can sit outside right on the water and watch the boats and the coasters go by and enjoy a few drinks and some pretty good BBQ. I can't recommend it enough. The food is good but more importantly it's a great place to sit (again... sit outside).

In the park the food offerings are pretty mediocre. Someone will be here soon to tell you to go to Midway Market. In advance of that I think it's important to let you know that Midway Market sucks and that person deserves to be smacked. If you have to eat in the park just go to a chain like Panda Express because anything Cedar Point makes is terrible.

Edit: Beat me to it.

The gate across from the marina was open on Monday morning. I am not sure why it may not have been open other days, but it was a life saver as it turned what would have been a 2+ hour wait (with 35 minutes to finish testing and empty the water dummies) into a 40 minute wait. Valravn is a diggable ride, but, if you are like me, invest in Fast Lane Plus or go on a drizzly Tuesday later in the month. If you don't mind the wait, they did well. Unfortunately, while I was there it didn't siphon off Maverick riders as lines were consistently over an hour because of those meddling Physics kids.

I had never been to Cedar Point, but is Gatekeeper always a walk on? In four days, I only saw it once get well beyond the right side/left side fork in the queue.

. . . You can sit outside right on the water and watch the boats. . .

THE boat?!?!?

...I had never been to Cedar Point, but is Gatekeeper always a walk on? In four days, I only saw it once get well beyond the right side/left side fork in the queue.

Last time we were at the park Gatekeepers wait was around 2 hours, so yes it does get pretty long!!

The gate across from the marina was open on Monday morning. I am not sure why it may not have been open other days, but it was a life saver as it turned what would have been a 2+ hour wait (with 35 minutes to finish testing and empty the water dummies) into a 40 minute wait. Valravn is a diggable ride, but, if you are like me, invest in Fast Lane Plus or go on a drizzly Tuesday later in the month. If you don't mind the wait, they did well. Unfortunately, while I was there it didn't siphon off Maverick riders as lines were consistently over an hour because of those meddling Physics kids.

I had never been to Cedar Point, but is Gatekeeper always a walk on? In four days, I only saw it once get well beyond the right side/left side fork in the queue.

I never see it over 40 minutes and that's on those days in July/August when the park is just constantly packed.

Hi, CP regulars. Forgive me for the umpteenth "I'm a newbie, but you're not, can I come on DATE and ride everything???" inquiry, but for those of you not totally sick of them...

We are thinking kicking off our Midwestern park hop at Cedar Point two days after the Fourth of July (Wednesday the 6th), which I have read is one of the park's busiest days of the season. Are the days immediately following the Fourth famously busy, too, or just standard for July/summer? We are likely going to buy a Fast Lane+ to ensure we get to ride all the coasters at least once, and are even considering a hotel room on site to nab that extra morning hour (depending on how high rates are for that week). If not, we may wait until the last week of July.

Thanks in advance.

The thing with CP is it's impossible to predict crowds, honestly. Last year, we went probably 20 times before August and never really encountered a really busy day. Rode more last year than the past few years by far, it was great. For reference I typically don’t wait more than about 15mins for anything there (spoiled!).

Come late July / Early August it finally really picked up. But almost any visit in May/June and most of July was really nice crowd wise. A mix of weekdays, weekends, etc… I have encountered busier days during the week vs. weekends, so there is no real “trend” in my experience. Weather of course is a huge part of it as well.

July 4th is really, really bad though. I won’t go the park anymore those days (the firework nights). If you are there on the 6th, you should be fine though. Especially if you have FL+, you won’t really have anything to worry about. Even on normal days I could easily ride all the big rides in a day no problem. With FL+ you can hit up all the rides multiple times if you are there all day, no question.

Some tips for those without FL… Hit Maverick first thing during early entry followed by MF and then get over to Dragster to get in line prior to opening. That is an easy trio to hit in that first hour. Following Dragster, make your way over to Magnum -> Gemini -> Mean Streak. Those should all be near walk-on in the morning. So within the first two hours you should hit 6 of the coasters already. If everything is running on time and no unexpected breakdowns, of course.

Later in the evening is when you want to hit up the front of the park… Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak, Wicked Twister, Rougarou, etc… In the last 2-3 hours of the night have very short waits, even on busy nights at the park. The bus groups leave around 7ish and stuff, so the park clears out a bit which helps.

CP is very doable without FL, as long as you understand the “flow” of the crowds. But as far as all the crowd predictions, good luck with that… It is completely random in my experience at the park. Days you would expect to be busy are not, and the days you expect to be less busy can be jam packed. It’s worthless to predict anything outside of July 4th (insane) and Saturday’s during Halloweekends in October (insane).

I hit the park yesterday from 9:15-1:30.

Crowds were not bad at all during the day. The physics week crowd picked up just a little bit before we left (Noon).

Valravn (25 min), Millennium x2 (5 min), Pipe Scream (0 min), Lake Erie Eagles (0 min), Monster (0 min), Magnum (0 min), Wicked Twister (0 min), Gatekeeper (15 min).

I also hit up Sweet Spot for some fudge and a caramel apple. You can get a discount at a lot of places with a Platinum Pass, so always be sure to check. We played mini-golf at noon as well. Only course is open...still. However, 5 bucks using the BOGO for mini golf is almost always a must on the crowded day at CP. I'll be bummed if that gets removed...and I don't think the future is looking too bright. Right before we left I bought some merchandise at the main store. They have a full wall of new merchandise that is really nice. I ended up buying two awesome shirts. Simple, retro style with "Cedar Point" across the chest. The short sleeve I bought also has Ohio on it. Very nice looking shirts.

I'm still up in the air if I want to get Funpix. I love photos so I think I will do it. The On-ride photo TVs now are pretty brutal given that not all the photos show up and the Funpix watermark covers everybody's face. If anybody has Funpix, I'd like to know what you think of it.

Finally, this thing.

1007106755_IMG_3706(1).thumb.JPG.e8b16aa135b4e33b6313e753f73dce2f.JPG

^ In terms of FunPix, I definitely think it's worth it. In the past 15 years, I have maybe purchased a photo three times? In my first visit with FunPix, I got 9 on-ride photos. Already paid itself off. And you get to have some fun with the cameras knowing that you get the photo to keep afterwards. Once you get it linked up with your Platinum Pass, it's a breeze.

8070503_051716_000000068.thumb.JPG.668029b522fdfbdae369f764995d10f9.JPG

Example: Stonewalling MF

Some tips for those without FL… Hit Maverick first thing during early entry followed by MF and then get over to Dragster to get in line prior to opening. That is an easy trio to hit in that first hour. Following Dragster, make your way over to Magnum -> Gemini -> Mean Streak. Those should all be near walk-on in the morning. So within the first two hours you should hit 6 of the coasters already. If everything is running on time and no unexpected breakdowns, of course.

Later in the evening is when you want to hit up the front of the park… Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak, Wicked Twister, Rougarou, etc… In the last 2-3 hours of the night have very short waits, even on busy nights at the park. The bus groups leave around 7ish and stuff, so the park clears out a bit which helps.

I appreciate this tidbit of information. My wife and I will be at Cedar Point on the last day of July and first day in August. I figured two days should be good, so any tips are much appreciated! Thanks, again! Looking forward to my first time at The Point!

Looking at the web cam right now looks like Mean Streak is running or at least testing again. I think I can make out train movement.

Yup, it's been testing for days. Should be open soon. Get excited people. get excited...