TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I went early to the park again yesterday and had a great visit. I arrived around 9:15, got a front row parking spot, and left around 3:15.

First we hit Valravn (25 minutes) for early entry. Then, even after the park opened, hit up Millennium Twice (5 Minutes). We walked over to Frontier Town and went on Antique Cars (0 Minutes), Mine Ride (10 Minutes--wasn't running at full capacity), Maverick (60 minutes--broke down for a lil bit). We took the train back to the Wildcat Midway and had our lunch at Famous Dave's. Finally we waited 1 cycle for Cedar Downs and about 10 minutes for Blue Streak.

A few takeaways:

-All of the employees were very friendly and talkative. Maybe because it's just day 1 but I was really impressed and they definitely added more fun to our day.

-Cedar Downs replaced its old audio with a new sound clip from an announcer of the Belmont Stakes.

-That big wall in front of Valravn with the 2 windows has a bunch of flowers in it now. Looks like that if the flowers grow out it may look really nice.

-Overall, a beautiful day with decent crowds.

IMG_3699.thumb.JPG.d0486030d6e0940907396576f2a3d264.JPG

It's a little hard to see. But there are flowers in those pots.

It was testing last weekend. The trains were sent to PTC for rehab during the offseason and now they're back on the track. Sorry haters... put away the pitchforks.

Great news! As much as I like the Boss, another coaster everyone loves to hate on, I'm looking forward to riding Mean Streak in a couple of weeks. In the front, leaning forward.

Out of the blue, I sent one of those "contact us" emails to CP to see if they could ship a Maverick sweatshirt for my ex-wife's birthday. Long story, but basically because we're so far away, we can't get there that often. The VP of merchandising contacted me the next day about arranging a 'buddy ship"...One of the many reasons CP rocks!

Nice! Last year I tried to do the same thing and was told it was impossible to do. Maybe my strong but fairly-written response to that situation had enough of a pull that they decided to reconsider their stance this year. If it falls through, let me know and I can get whatever you need in the beginning of July when I go.

^ Sorry if this info. has been posted before, but I was wondering if the

Breakers Express offers any kind of shuttle to get you to the park and back?

Or are you basically, still "on your own" for transportation?

Thanks in advance.

^ Cool, thanks. I'm hoping to visit CP in 2017 so all the information about transport, hotels, etc. is greatly appreciated.

COASTERMANIA, woo hoo!

^ Well, I already know I'm going to have to rent a car, from the airport

to wherever I'm staying. So, it's good to know the choices available.

Also to ask. Is there preferred parking at the park's parking lot, since you're

staying at Breakers Express? Or is it just whatever it costs, first come,

first served, for the gp?

^ Well, I already know I'm going to have to rent a car, from the airport

to wherever I'm staying. So, it's good to know the choices available.

Also to ask. Is there preferred parking at the park's parking lot, since you're

staying at Breakers Express? Or is it just whatever it costs, first come,

first served, for the gp?

It's just free general parking for however many days you stay at the hotel.

Out of the blue, I sent one of those "contact us" emails to CP to see if they could ship a Maverick sweatshirt for my ex-wife's birthday. Long story, but basically because we're so far away, we can't get there that often. The VP of merchandising contacted me the next day about arranging a 'buddy ship"...One of the many reasons CP rocks!

Nice! Last year I tried to do the same thing and was told it was impossible to do. Maybe my strong but fairly-written response to that situation had enough of a pull that they decided to reconsider their stance this year. If it falls through, let me know and I can get whatever you need in the beginning of July when I go.

Thanks for that, but I'm hoping to get a full blown Coaster "Armageddon" trip in before July...HW, KI, Dollywood, Hershey, Knoebbels, Kennywood, CP. We might hit SF Chicago on the way back...depends on how much I spend...looking forward to Knoebbels quite a bit, though.

Trip Report May 2016

Made the the drive from New Jersey to the roller coaster capital of world. This was my third time out there in a year, my mom and sister first time. My grandmother and her friend made the trip as well because we stopped at the rock and roll hall of fame first.

We stayed at Hotel Breakers, which is beautiful. They did an incredible job with the renovations.

Pros:

Valravn, WOW. Lines were long friday and saturday (once rides opened). Waited about an hour and 15 minutes to ride, and it was worth it. Sat low row, left side, unbelievable. The first drop was incredible, seemed longer than 214 feet. The immelmann loop is freaking awesome. The zero-g roll...... OMG!!!. This is in fact a surprise element like people are saying. And idk about other people, but i did in fact get air time on the air time hill. Oh yeah, the view you get at the top of the lift, breathtaking. The surrounding area is magnificent. The park did a hell of a job with everything.

Friday: Got to the park around 12ish. Weather was gorgeous. We first hit up Gatekeeper. Then we spent most of the time after that walking around and checking out shops and other things. Gatekeeper, still my number one. There is just something about it that i love. after dinner, around 8:45, me and my mom made the awesome walk over to Millennium Force. She was scared the whole time we waited, which was only about 25 minutes. Lets just say she liked it. But night rides on this are awesome. We then got a ride on Rougarou, which was a walk on. Then another lap on gatekeeper. By then it was closing time.

Saturday: Got up bright and early for early entry, but thank you high winds for having everything close. This happen for about the whole morning, then everything opened up. The only thing we got to ride was Valravn on saturday. Dragster never opened, Raptor was an hour wait. So due to the winds, cold, and rain coming in, we shopped and left Americas Roller Cost at about 4;45. All in all, it was an awesome trip, and im trying to plan to go back out in August,

Gatekeeper- 3x

Valravn- 1x

Millennium Force- 1x

More photos to come.

Didnt get a good chance to look for the boat

IMG_1904.thumb.JPG.28a73ff0f1eacc965096824fcbebd9d7.JPG

IMG_1905.thumb.JPG.ff4324e53e3cddcedb614561489b4670.JPG

IMG_1906.thumb.JPG.f7c3bfa726ed07c48533d2cf4a44e3a8.JPG

IMG_1909.thumb.JPG.58bc0303fd7f18f2f61c6b50c37dabd4.JPG

Happy bunch of people

IMG_1933.thumb.JPG.80ff6c8b4e38fea1ba62224c5f5288b7.JPG

BABY GOATS

IMG_1939.thumb.JPG.e09cd18dfc7ed0c3fbf479e4037f3910.JPG

IMG_1962.thumb.JPG.239004c6375204a5b0b4672f64bd25db.JPG

IMG_1963.thumb.JPG.511b3e8b57e5703e7172d1fa0e5ce6b7.JPG

Alot of markings out by the mini golf.

IMG_1964.thumb.JPG.2213df6416c3196fdb686e24c6068407.JPG

IMG_1965.thumb.JPG.657a20e2a4a9df263e511912d6c9d63d.JPG

IMG_1966.thumb.JPG.4a1a6266ded228035dfc60cd874f16bc.JPG

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.c7c31e1edc463b7f4efe8bf5efe234fa.JPG

IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.3a887708ae33ababc9d3d162afff2a7a.JPG

IMG_1969.thumb.JPG.05e49cd3f01326ddbab4680a24eab63e.JPG

IMG_1986.thumb.JPG.d2cb4a0f194c087f973b7dc18800ee8e.JPG

IMG_1989.thumb.JPG.49c9f418d084f6796f66fdc7558f4adb.JPG

I am going next weekend staying in a cabin at lighthouse point with some friends.

We are probably going to drive I90 from buffalo

Does anybody know, is there a good grocery store somewhere on the way for snacks/ breakfast food/ beer? I want to pick up some local microbrewery beer if possible. Does Ohio have separate beer distributors or is it at grocery stores/ gas stations?

We leave sunday and i thought we might get brunch on the way home. anybody know of any good spots to go?

I am going next weekend staying in a cabin at lighthouse point with some friends.

Does anybody know, is there a good grocery store somewhere on the way for snacks/ breakfast food/ beer? I want to pick up some local microbrewery beer if possible. Does Ohio have separate beer distributors or is it at grocery stores/ gas stations?

We leave sunday and i thought we might get brunch on the way home. anybody know of any good spots to go?

The local grocery stores are Giant Eagles and they are everywhere around cleveland. They have any and all local beers

You can buy beer at any store & liquor at a liquor store in Ohio just like in NY. Although in Ohio, you can also buy wine and low % alcohol in stores.

Warning with the low % alcohol at the stores though. We thought we were buying a bottle of vodka and it turned out that it was only 40 proof!

I assume that there is some type of law that prohibits high % alcohol to be sold in stores.

The Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland is a great place for lunch. Pretty easy to get to from I-90 too. You can also get beer to go at the gift shop.

Have fun!

I live in Sarasota and I went to Siesta Key today and noticed they opened new private pergolas, and it gave me an idea for Cedar Point. There's 1,200 feet (according to Google Earth) of unused beach property with lots of potential being neglected right now, stretching from Gatekeeper to Kinzel's home. What if Cedar Point were to add these premium pergolas/picnic shelters for families. Each can have a grill, fridge/freezer, picnic table, and a hammock. They can be designed to accommodate 4-16 people for different sized or multiple families or even group outings. They can be rented out like cabanas; families get premium parking in front of their pergola, drop their things off in the morning (fridge/freezer come in handy) and come back whenever they want to grill, eat, and relax on the beach. In the center can be a small marketplace with bathrooms, free propane, a Coke freestyle machine, and sell condiments, buns, burger meat, chicken, hot dogs, sausage, etc. if families come unprepared. At 1,200 feet of stretch, you can place 60 of these units if they're spaced every 20 feet or so. Cabanas at Soak City go for $100 a day, but I bet these can go for $200 to $300 (if not more) if they offer a 'premium' setting with high end grills and 'free' cleaning/accommodation/etc. $300 x 60 units x about 120 operating days = 2.16 million in extra revenue (I know that's not profit) the park is not currently making.

Here's a rough drawing I did to kind of give you an idea. A sidewalk cutting across the parking lot will connect the main entrance to the central market place. The gray strip of 'paint' is the premium parking I was talking about. The green is the patch of grass where all the pergolas will be scattered across.

I know Cedar Point has many plans to be worried about, and probably plans including this area, but is there any way for us 'normal' folks can get our ideas to them? Because I'd love it if they even heard me on this.

Here's what I was thinking for the grill/fridge combo:

Outdoor-Rooms-St.-Martin-Outdoor-Kitchen-2049.jpg?t=1453782541

I know it's only slightly after opening but holy hell that line is long. Probably around 2 hours.

I'm heading up there later in the day most likely... I wonder how the crowds will be throughout the park. I'm thinking it won't be *too* crowded but with a new ride I guess you never know. I keep forgetting that today is technically opening day to.

Sorry for such a long, late post but I was there on Friday, I got in for early entry and might actually have been riding valravn around the time that screenshot was taken! But Valravn had a 105-120 minute long line atleast until 6. TTD, though, had a 15 minute wait for about two hours after the park opened! Maverick was closed most of the day and by the time we got around to it, it had a 2 hour wait time and I just didn't want to wait in another line . For people taking about Mean Streak it had trains on its tracks that you could see from the train ride, but never opened.

Been watching the cams a lot today. Dragster is launching 3 trains consistently and quickly! Getting really pumped since this week we booked our stay and my best friend is coming with her husband for the first time too! Trying out Hotel Breakers this time. Has anyone been inside the dog kennel on property? Are there pics online somewhere?

I'd like to see Valravn's holding brake actually engage and hold the train for a bit longer rather than slowly easing it over the edge. Do any of the CP employees here know anything about if they plan to add a pause to the hold in the future? Griffon really dangles you up there which I like.

TTD had pretty good operations and as said later they think they don't hang over that long to increase the capacity, but considering they were stacking trains on Valravn I don't think that is the capacity determining thing. They seemed to be having some troubles with that monitor too as sometimes a seat would randomly come unlocked on the screen and they would have to unlock and recheck a group of 4 seats in that row.

All in all a good day and I love Valravn in the front seat, didn't ride it after that first time though. Only real disappointment was that I missed Maverick but I guess getting on TTD in 15 minutes with no Fast Lane plus outweighs that.