TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

There's a block brake up there in addition to the lift block. I agree it looks really weird.

Also it looks like Raptor, Sky Ride and Gatekeeper are closed for wind and Valravn is running so it seems to be semi wind resistant.

^ I agree.

And the Valravn beer sounds (and looks) great!

Being a huge fan of IPA's, I am sure I will like it...but for those born and bred on Bud Light - they probably won't.

First off, I think the "rattling" conversation is stupid. However, if people are going to talk about such inane things regarding B&M's, I felt the need to point out that they may be missing something there...

Secondly, I despise the mere notion of Bud Light, or any other crappy domestic beer. I'm a beer snob through and through. However, just because somebody is a beer snob, doesn't mean they have to like IPA's... I am a big fan of Stouts, and Porters - Dark Beers! IPA's just aren't my thing... I gave the Valravn ale a fair shake, but it isn't something I'll get again.

As for where I got it before it apparently sold out, the good old Red Garter!

Attended opening day yesterday for Cedar Point and overall it was a success! Valravn is a really great dive machine. I think it ties with Sheikra in the fact that they both have their pros and cons. While Valravn has the much better layout, it does have the vests restraints that restrict you some (mainly noticeable in the back row). However, there is still plenty of back row airtime. The ride fits in perfectly with the area and is a wonderful addition to CP's ridiculously stacked lineup.

image.thumb.jpeg.36fc2adb5867ef6e295e1fac9b8b85f2.jpeg

I'm taking a day trip up to Cedar Point on the 23rd (it's on a Monday) and I've never been, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me things to expect while at the park; what rides to hit first, will FL/FL+ be necessary, etc

Looks like Millie is down for the count right now...

Queue up the Intamin cable jokes in 3, 2, 1.....

Edit - it's running fine now.

I have seen that happen a couple of times in the mornings during ERT.

Edited by Philrad71

They were testing out the scanning last summer when I was there... They said it was going to be rolling out this year as a seat ate wait time in the app for fast passes, that way you knew how long YOUR wait was for the ride as well as the GP. I think it could be a great idea to make the price point for a fast pass even better!

I went out to the park on Friday from 1-4 and Saturday from 9:30-2. On Friday I went up with a few friends using the OSU tickets. Valravn had a pretty long line so we skipped out and went on Gatekeeper (line up to the steps), Windseeker (1 cycle wait), Magnum (1 cycle wait), Skyhawk (1 cycle wait), and Rougarou (30 minute wait). Most of the rides were up and running while we were there. I'll mirror the other people on here in saying that traffic was mad backed up getting into the park. The main causeway didn't look bad at all around noon, but that "back entrance" was backed up 2 miles and we ended up sitting on there for an hour. People were straight up getting out of their cars and walking 2 miles to the entrance. That back entrance isn't bad to get stuck an though. Some highlights of chillin there for an hour were the manatee mailbox, the front lawn putting green, and the curvy pillar. Highly recommend getting stuck in that location next time you get into a traffic jam.

We also tried out that new fries stand near where Attitudes used to be. It has that nice new RCT façade and (I think) some new fries options. The Garlic parmesan fries are choice.

On Saturday I came through early to get my Platinum Pass processed. I haven't gotten a pass since I was in 6th grade, so I was still strapped up with the classic skyline art and a young me in the system. The new passes look clean. They have that nice new CF logo on there and one of those cool little square code things on the back. The line for getting passes processed was pretty long, but we only waited like 10 minutes; about one of those minutes was the dude laughing at my picture.

Waited in line for Valravn for about 3.5 hours (9:40-1:15) and got put in the back row. The ride was great. You already know the story. However, that wait...

In line I checked out the new CP app. So cool. You can upload your pass on there, check wait times (which Tony still says is a WIP per twitter), set waypoints rides and facilities, check showtimes, get notifications on offers, check out the FunPix, and most importantly, set a marker where you parked. Great app. The WiFi there was pretty good, but sometimes throughout the day my buddy and I had touble connecting.

After Valravn I ate some of that New Valravn dippin dot ice cream. 10/10 must eat. Great blend of flavors.

After that we decided to bounce. CP is looking really nice (except for that nasty concrete cylinder in the middle of everything).

Attended opening day yesterday for Cedar Point and overall it was a success! Valravn is a really great dive machine. I think it ties with Sheikra in the fact that they both have their pros and cons. While Valravn has the much better layout, it does have the vests restraints that restrict you some (mainly noticeable in the back row). However, there is still plenty of back row airtime. The ride fits in perfectly with the area and is a wonderful addition to CP's ridiculously stacked lineup.

The new restraints make that big of a difference, huh? That's disappointing. They could have had higher capacity with the other restraints, and a better ride.

Yea, the vests aren't great. That "oh damn!" moment when the holding brake unlocks and you float between the restraint and the seat (the whole point of a dive coaster) doesn't exist on Valravn.

Still a cool ride but nowhere near the feeling you get on Griffon or Sheikra. Also the holding brake doesn't really "hold" but instead just slows down the train for about 2 seconds.

The new restraints make that big of a difference, huh? That's disappointing. They could have had higher capacity with the other restraints, and a better ride.

Higher capacity? What's the difference between the two, dispatch wise?

Also, aren't the newer restraints more accommodating for smaller riders? I believe GateKeeper and Valravn allow 52" while Raptor and Rougarou are 54".

While I could see how the ride could be better with the original restraints, I can also see what justified Cedar Point's decision to give it the new restraints (same goes for Banshee, too).

Higher capacity? What's the difference between the two, dispatch wise?

The difference I think he's referring to with how wide the track for Valravn is is comparable to Griffin at BGW. Griffin had 10 across seating alas using the old restraints. Valravn has 8 across but with the new restraints, as the new restraints require wider track. The very reason why Rougarou last year did not receive the new restraints as they couldn't widen the track for the wider trains required.