TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I asked this before but didn't get any response, hoping maybe someone will see this and pick it up this time.

I'm flying up tomorrow to get to OSU Day on Friday. Since we couldn't get flights out on Saturday, we are spending the day at the park on Saturday as well. Does anyone have advice as to how to make Opening Day bareable? The forecast calls for thunderstorms so I'm thinking the crowds may stay away, but what do I know? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I asked this before but didn't get any response, hoping maybe someone will see this and pick it up this time.

I'm flying up tomorrow to get to OSU Day on Friday. Since we couldn't get flights out on Saturday, we are spending the day at the park on Saturday as well. Does anyone have advice as to how to make Opening Day bareable? The forecast calls for thunderstorms so I'm thinking the crowds may stay away, but what do I know? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Your best bet is probably Fast Lane Plus, but with the storms predicted, I don't know that you'll get your money's worth. I won't sugar coat it, opening day is usually pretty bad. Heavy crowds, and operations not quite that efficient yet. Maybe the storms will scare some people away, but I don't know. If you have a season pass, or are staying on site, definitely use early entry to it's fullest extent as well. If not, hit some of the less popular rides first, like Wicked Twister, Magnum, Gemini, Rougarou, MaXair, Power Tower, etc. Best of luck.

Opening day has been a $#itshow for awhile. Expect nothing and you might get something. If 3/4 of the coasters run, it is a miracle.

Opening day has been a $#itshow for awhile. Expect nothing and you might get something. If 3/4 of the coasters run, it is a miracle.

This, and for added fun they're calling for 15 to 25 MPH winds (so much higher gusts) so Gatekeeper, Raptor, Sky Ride, Windseeker and Top Thrill Dragster may be up and down a lot. I'm not sure how conservative they'll be with Valravn and wind but it never really faces a headwind from the bay and it's opening day so I would think they might be lenient with it but it's Cedar Point so you never know... get some rides in on those rides on Friday

Much thanks for the advice! I will definitely focus on the big rides Friday, and while I figured rain would scare crowds away, I didn't consider how it would affect ride closures. Oh well, Saturday is a bonus day so I'll make the most of it. Will be sure to keep you all posted!

I love the station, but I don't get "castle" from in. I'm not complaining at all, just observing.

Yeah, I feel like it's more like scales, as if on a dragon. Which can be associated with castles... That's kind of the loose "themeing" I get from it. I did notice the tiling on the front of the Valravn trains as well, right below the name of the ride. So that's tied-in at least!

I believe this might be the "look" they're going for there...

Much thanks for the advice! I will definitely focus on the big rides Friday, and while I figured rain would scare crowds away, I didn't consider how it would affect ride closures.

Rain does close some rides but the real issue is that it's opening weekend and they're all going to be down for mechanical reasons. I'd tell you what rides close for rain but even the park doesn't know. Dragster will close but aside from that I'm convinced they have a rain policy wheel at each ride that they spin whenever it rains to decide what the rules will be that day. 2 Years ago they were holding their hands out to see if they felt a single drop before they opened Maverick. Last year they opened it in heavy rain with 50 MPH winds, tides all the way up Wicked Twister and sand blowing onto the midways.

I've even seen them close Snake River falls because of a light drizzle. A ride who's sole purpose is to create a tidal wave so massive that it drenches everyone in the general area of the splash zone.

While opening weekend is usually a clusterf*ck, this year it appears that the park is well ahead of the game in terms of preseason testing. In years prior it'd sometimes be days before opening day that some rides even got their trains on the track, let alone began testing. Whereas this year the park has been a flurry of nonstop testing on all their major attractions the past 2+ weeks. Fingers crossed that this head start on shaking out any offseason mechanical gremlins, plus the "soft opening" this weekend followed by a week off, will put them in a great position for a relatively smooth and reliable opening weekend.

I have to agree that the vest restraint takes away any feeling of plummeting or falling that is present on Sheikra and Griffon... meh.

Great ride, annoyingly restrictive restraint.

So did you actually ride it yesterday? And how? Because it was a very closed group of people they invited.

While opening weekend is usually a clusterf*ck, this year it appears that the park is well ahead of the game in terms of preseason testing. In years prior it'd sometimes be days before opening day that some rides even got their trains on the track, let alone began testing. Whereas this year the park has been a flurry of nonstop testing on all their major attractions the past 2+ weeks. Fingers crossed that this head start on shaking out any offseason mechanical gremlins, plus the "soft opening" this weekend followed by a week off, will put them in a great position for a relatively smooth and reliable opening weekend.

I want you to be right but they do that every year and it doesn't make a difference. Plus the weather is making wind and rain closures on opening day look like a foregone conclusion. Go in with reasonable expectations and you'll have a great day though.

I want you to be right but they do that every year and it doesn't make a difference. Plus the weather is making wind and rain closures on opening day look like a foregone conclusion. Go in with reasonable expectations and you'll have a great day though.

Eh, I wouldn't say every year, there have been plenty of years (including last year) where some of their star attractions didn't even begin testing until a few days before opening (or after). On average it's a mixed bag, but the mild winter and the flurry of ride activity the past couple weeks has made it pretty apparent they got a head start on preseason testing this year.

That said, I definitely agree that this weekend the weather/wind is going to be the driving factor in terms of "operational reliability". But, that should always be in the forefront of anyone visiting CP considering how temperamental the weather and rides are on the peninsula.

Eh, I wouldn't say every year, there have been plenty of years (including last year) where some of their star attractions didn't even begin testing until a few days before opening (or after). On average it's a mixed bag, but the mild winter and the flurry of ride activity the past couple weeks has made it pretty apparent they got a head start on preseason testing this year.

That said, I definitely agree that this weekend the weather/wind is going to be the driving factor in terms of "operational reliability". But, that should always be in the forefront of anyone visiting CP considering how temperamental the weather and rides are on the peninsula.

Point of reference... last year for pass holder preview day millennium was one of the rides scheduled to be open but unfortunately they were still wrapping up testing for state approval. It did open on the next day (opening day) but they still hadn't put the yellow train on the track yet and it continued to run with only 2 trains until right around Coastermania

Millennium Force's third (yellow) train wasn't used until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. We were there that day and thanks to their ridiculous new policies they had to cycle it empty ONE HUNDRED TIMES that day before they could load it which they were finally able to do at night.

thanks to their ridiculous new policies they had to cycle it empty ONE HUNDRED TIMES

It seems like commissioning is fairly new across CF parks. After having a train sit around being pulled apart over the winter, it helps to break it in and make sure there's no problems with the restraints or ride system and the train. I'm sure the ride ops were just as enthused about cycling it empty as you were.

Millennium Force's third (yellow) train wasn't used until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. We were there that day and thanks to their ridiculous new policies they had to cycle it empty ONE HUNDRED TIMES that day before they could load it which they were finally able to do at night.

It's ridiculous that they are ensuring that particular train is safe for you to ride? You are complaining that the third train was not ready? Did you ever think for a split second that there may have been a delay with that train? They are stripped and inspected completely during the off season, then rebuilt. Sometimes, parts are replaced as needed.

Rides are REQUIRED for a minimum number of cycles by different departments. Maintenence, state, operations, etc. From my experience, operations are the last to get control of the ride. Then before they can put anyone on the trains, they must have a minimum number of cycles per ride vehicle.

I can tell you, things do not always go as planned when it comes to commissioning these rides.

As someone who works at a park, I am very offended by you post. How dare you call something that is done for YOUR safety "ridiculous"? Every rule or procedure a park has is for YOUR safety.

"Now back to your regularly scheduled program."

It's ridiculous that they are ensuring that particular train is safe for you to ride? You are complaining that the third train was not ready? Did you ever think for a split second that there may have been a delay with that train? They are stripped and inspected completely during the off season, then rebuilt. Sometimes, parts are replaced as needed.

Rides are REQUIRED for a minimum number of cycles by different departments. Maintenence, state, operations, etc. From my experience, operations are the last to get control of the ride. Then before they can put anyone on the trains, they must have a minimum number of cycles per ride vehicle.

I can tell you, things do not always go as planned when it comes to commissioning these rides.

As someone who works at a park, I am very offended by you post. How dare you call something that is done for YOUR safety "ridiculous"? Every rule or procedure a park has is for YOUR safety.

"Now back to your regularly scheduled program."

Dude, seriously??

You're acting like he personally attacked you or something! It's not that serious......you might want to calm down and take a deep breath or something....

Besides, this is Bill we're talking about here, who's one of the easiest going guys on this site, haha! The only real issue he has is that perplexing enjoyment of Mean Streak!

I am very offended by you post.

Then perhaps you misunderstood my post and maybe I didn't word it the best. I praised the ride crew, my issue was that they cycled it 100 times empty on a busy operating day on a ride where they generally never dispatch a train until they're triple stacked because of the blocking setup so it slowed down operations on a really busy day. I was surprised they didn't do it after hours.

Really the level of complaining in my post was minimal. I brought it up to build upon the point that this park really takes awhile to hit their stride which was already being discussed... not to bash the ride crews (though for awhile IROC was killing them last year like with the "no steak skipping when seat checking" rules) but as I'm not an insider I don't know what's dictated by IROC and what's not so as I said I stand corrected on that one.

We had the pleasure of attending media for Valravn, and here are my thoughts:

-The entrance and area created for Valravn are incredible, not only because they look nice but they really open up the park and connect it to everything else. This ride is right next to the area for Blue Streak, and before that area was just like a dead end and now it is all opened up and connects well. I think this is one of my favorite parts of this new addition, it really brings it in full circle and connects everything together.

-Originally we thought we would not like the ride because of the different restraints, but that really did not have much effect on the ride experience. I think is is still a great ride and compatible to Griffon or SheiKra, though you don't get the room that you had on the others to move around as much. The view from the top of the lift hill and right before the drop are INCREDIBLE you can see the whole park and a lot of the other rides and Lake Eerie in the background. The ride itself is nice and smooth and gives you some nice airtime and drops. This ride is MASSIVE compared to the other coasters in the area.

-Valravn is a nice visual addition to the skyline. It is also is a very nice addition to the park and adds more variety to the coasters around it and to the types of coasters at the park.

-They also have a list of Valravn themed foods and drinks added to the things you can buy in and out of the park. There will be a couple new Coke Freestyle choices available including one called "Flavaravn Fizz", a new Valravn themed beer, Valravn ice cream flavor (inside and outside the park), and Dunkin Donuts will have a Valravn themed donut at the nearby locations.

Heres a collection of pictures we took and you can also check out the updates posted on TPR's Twitter:

IMG_1287.thumb.jpg.66d0942699a68320e7718f4f129509a6.jpg

New banners in the entrance sign!

IMG_1267.thumb.jpg.bef4e0fdb172076228ba2879e70dada1.jpg

That new skyline <3

IMG_5373.thumb.jpg.5c979c5ab01c97ea92e3180373df818d.jpg

Stayed at Castaway Bay and they have a new locking system!

IMG_5375.thumb.jpg.1377c6f3df63b3f793eb93dd135c1dae.jpg

Yay! RFID!

IMG_5383.thumb.jpg.2ee863085ff767f587f36fbc59fa42d7.jpg

Thats us!

IMG_5388.thumb.jpg.7174eac92ccd8fb9988f8469250ca54f.jpg

Lots of news vans everywhere!

IMG_5403.thumb.jpg.171216cb9ff3bc190bafc8cc3b98ed30.jpg

:)

IMG_1298.thumb.jpg.80d96c58f83368c39f0520b1f0b37c63.jpg

The lighting package for the ride is beautiful and rainbow-y

IMG_1311.thumb.jpg.ee661615c8495d7db2c54c117a3576bc.jpg

love this area, its right next to the drop for family to watch and take pictures

IMG_1332.thumb.jpg.097fd666f26892bf3790cb4172bfc4fa.jpg

<3

IMG_1341.thumb.jpg.8feca5fd48f86480e73cc76dfd61ca48.jpg

Chickie and Pete's was opened for us to come in and sit and snack

IMG_1375.thumb.jpg.c7f82afd9a90cd6fa1bd4eaf420102ce.jpg

great spot to take selfies!

IMG_1384.thumb.jpg.e52a4cbcd7d28473b8687a09feb7142d.jpg

we got these really cool windbreakers when we checked in

IMG_1389.thumb.jpg.efb4422f98c79531f0c9815e9a9bea1e.jpg

twisty

IMG_1393.thumb.jpg.a34373ac0516186ed6a0bee7d0ecc32d.jpg

look at all those twists! and all the coasters in the background!

IMG_1401.thumb.jpg.7d5d477c7ece3e45f6f2337f5e8dd99c.jpg

Lots of breakfast foods to chose from!

IMG_1403.thumb.jpg.6a0fa13d63690cce9f9f90619e5ebd86.jpg

new gift shop!

IMG_1404.thumb.jpg.ea581ee5bbb8c243c7879a7d4b228dc7.jpg

look at all the Valravn goodies you can buy!

IMG_1406.thumb.jpg.83fe0ae85a1eb68af9602b207a90446a.jpg

more stuff!

IMG_1419.thumb.jpg.9df347608bc305e02c39ecf9e862b28b.jpg

IMG_1424.thumb.jpg.94f7e4086e7fdd3d2a6e78aabc365844.jpg

IMG_1428.thumb.jpg.a31c586fdf71b2113d21d4f616ee1683.jpg

IMG_1430.thumb.jpg.be43e657fc038ee65565de08b36aa62f.jpg

they also had the new FunPix station set up!

IMG_1431.thumb.jpg.c3e5eefa2a56aeaa37552f9006daee7b.jpg

so this is a Valravn?

IMG_1433.thumb.jpg.3c5703b0353c2175ee458ca14140055a.jpg

<3

IMG_1436.thumb.jpg.75cb7f9dc150bf3b51c8551274695799.jpg

loved the signage!

IMG_1440.thumb.jpg.227219973af03d818579f746568f95a2.jpg

Twists and the new walking area.

IMG_1454.thumb.jpg.2f727ada1f426f3ef0257282771ea559.jpg

IMG_1461.thumb.jpg.9b2d6577ce0ea76d989958c1111bf4d1.jpg

look at that drop!

IMG_1466.thumb.jpg.884eda4bd1e0e6a761e7c6971f4fd1e5.jpg