TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I like the Breakers as it's more midway situated for easy access into the park. After the park closes you can still grab a meal or cocktail. They also have live entertainment and movies on the beach at the hotel after dark. Another plus is the huge fire pit area, fun for relaxing and conversing and it goes all night. Breakers are more full service with multiple pools & restaurant choices. I am glad I opted for the Breakers. Very immersive atmosphere.

Last time I went I just went to breakers and it was a great hotel. Great location and clean, also we had a great view out the window at some rides.

The cabins are great too but a bit farther and sometimes hard to find when its late at night.

I like the Breakers as it's more midway situated for easy access into the park. After the park closes you can still grab a meal or cocktail. They also have live entertainment and movies on the beach at the hotel after dark. Another plus is the huge fire pit area, fun for relaxing and conversing and it goes all night. Breakers are more full service with multiple pools & restaurant choices. I am glad I opted for the Breakers. Very immersive atmosphere.

Last time I went I just went to breakers and it was a great hotel. Great location and clean, also we had a great view out the window at some rides.

The cabins are great too but a bit farther and sometimes hard to find when its late at night.

I feel like sandcastles is the forgotten hotel no one ever talks about. From what i know about it it has a restaurant in it but i could be way wrong. it is a little longer of a walk away but not anything to crazy if you want to save money stay at that one you get all the same perks just not staying at the grand daddy hotel.

I will be attending Friday, May 13th. We will be staying onsite. My wife was looking into booking at the sandcastle suites, but everyone here keeps saying Breakers. Is there a reason for the preference?

Breakers has been renovated and thus the interiors of the rooms are in great shape. Sandcastle was the "luxury" option on the point for awhile because every room is a suite, but the decor is generally a bit dated. If it is less money to stay there than Breakers, I'd consider Sandcastle though certainly since you get a balcony and a separate living room/bedroom area.

I will be attending Friday, May 13th. We will be staying onsite. My wife was looking into booking at the sandcastle suites, but everyone here keeps saying Breakers. Is there a reason for the preference?

Breakers has been renovated and thus the interiors of the rooms are in great shape. Sandcastle was the "luxury" option on the point for awhile because every room is a suite, but the decor is generally a bit dated. If it is less money to stay there than Breakers, I'd consider Sandcastle though certainly since you get a balcony and a separate living room/bedroom area.

We had a suite at Breakers and it had a balcony and separate living/bedroom areas. Just saying.

I see on Cam 2 that they have Gatekeeper stopped part way up the lift. Is this a normal testing procedure, and if so, what purpose does it serve? (genuinely curious, I love knowing about testing procedures)

^ Could be something as simple as E-Stop testing. . . Just making sure that if there is an emergency that the E-Stop functions the way it should.

Edit: Also, looking at the flags it seems a little windy at the park. If it's that windy on the ground, it might be a little to windy for Gatekeeper to be running, so it shut down during testing. (Not sure how sensitive Gatekeeper is to wind) just a guess thought.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Related to the hotel locations (Breakers being "right there" vs. the walk back to Sandcastle/Cabins), the outside-the-park path that snakes between Magnum and the beach is one of my favorite little nooks in any park - Cedar Point or otherwise! After a long day, I love that serene walk. At night, it's beautiful and usually very quiet. In the morning, it's invigorating to walk the contour of Magnum and see the park coming to life, all while taking in the water and enjoying the cool breeze off of the lake. The path is charmingly beachy, and I'm glad that it hasn't been touched in years.

I've known a few people who lament the distance from the back properties to the Magnum gate, but they (1) just walked the uneventful Soak City lot, (2) completely missed the aforementioned path that I described above, (3) didn't consider the shuttles, and (4) generally don't like to walk further than need-be. So, I really like those cabins and strolling along the beach to enter the park via the Magnum entrance, but others might consider it a chore.

I will say, however, that Breakers is best if you have young children (or anyone) who need to take breaks or swap outfits throughout the day, and it's a great all-around property.

Cedar Point posted their 2016 park map and I noticed that Ripcord is still in the same spot. I thought it was going to be moved or was that just my imagination?

https://www.cedarpoint.com/plan-a-visit/park-map

Valravn's lift hill looks like a Gerstlauer Euro-fighter lift.

Just rumored. I was by there a few weeks ago and didn't see any changes either.

Interesting to see two trains at the top of the lift at the same time. First time I've seen it testing, looks fantastic! Can't wait to ride.

Wonder what they had to do to break the block to get both of them up there at the same time. Normally the computer wouldn't allow two trains in a block at once.

Interesting to see two trains at the top of the lift at the same time. First time I've seen it testing, looks fantastic! Can't wait to ride.

Wonder what they had to do to break the block to get both of them up there at the same time. Normally the computer wouldn't allow two trains in a block at once.

I would think there is an extra block there. One at the station, one at the top of the lift, one before the holding break, MCBR, break run, transfer table. Just my guess.

I would think there is an extra block there. One at the station, one at the top of the lift, one before the holding break, MCBR, break run, transfer table. Just my guess.

You are correct. There are two blocks at the top of Valravn. One at the crest of the lift hill, and one right before the holding brake.

Regardless, it was really weird to see two trains up there at once!

You are correct. There are two blocks at the top of Valravn. One at the crest of the lift hill, and one right before the holding brake.

Regardless, it was really weird to see two trains up there at once!

Actually there might be 3 blocks up there, depending on the spacing of the crown block. There's a block brake right before the drop chain, a crown block just after the lift, and also the loft itself. It might be that the crown block is too close to the lift chain and is considered the same block, or it could be possible to have 2 trains up like we see them now, and a third train on the lift near the crown like normal coaster blocks.

Fun fact about dive machines by the way, an e-stop will actually stop a train on the drop chain, and could leave it there. There's a release valve that will let the chain slowly turn from the weight of the train to run it to the block brakes if an evac is needed, and there's also a winch up there to pull the train backwards off the drop chain back to the crown brake if needed. You can actually see the winch on Griffon and SheiKra if you look carefully in the pov videos. It's red and placed near the ties of the track just before the pre-drop brakes.

LOTs of activity at the park right now. Valrvn and Raptor are testing on camera 1, MF, Rougarou, and Maverick are all testing on camera 3, and on camera 2, Gatekeeper is stopped on the lift at the crown, so far up that it's hard to believe it hasn't just started rolling forward and down the first drop! I've never seen a crowned train stopped that far up before.

Woohoo! After days of trying I finally caught Valravn testing. Multiple trains too.

Looks like it's running great. Remarkable how much speed it still has at the end, and especially how it seems to pick up speed after the last inversion. There will definitely be a little airtime on that last hump... But who rides a dive-machine for the great airtime?

Cycling all web-cam coasters now ( Except Blue Streak). GateKeeper, Raptor, Millennium, Maverick and Rougaroo. Am I the only one who thinks the trains for Rougaroo looks totally bad-ass?