TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hi guys, I'm sorry to interrupt the talk about Valravn, but I really need help with something! Im planning my very first visit to Cedar Point in late May. Plans are to flight to Cleveland (I live in Boston), take the train to Sandusky and then, considering that I can't rent a car and that the hotels on the Point are so expensive, I was thinking about staying at a hotel in Sandusky and take a taxi to the park. I plan to stay for like two days. Do you think that's feasbile? A good idea? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you very much! (ps.: chances are that Ill be all by myself.)

So probably an obvious stupid question coming this way. Clearly have to activate season pass by going to activation center, but I can still do the early entry correct? (It's a Platinum Pass.)

If I am not mistaken, a week or so before the park opens, they start season pass processing.

Edit: Took 3 seconds to find this on the website. https://www.cedarpoint.com/hours-directions/season-pass-processing?mobile=0

I'd contact the park in a few weeks, and you should be able to get in touch with someone is Guest Services who knows more.

I know Kings Island does processing before opening day

Yah, some folks wanna bitch about Magic Mountain with no transportation ride, but Cedar Point is friggin huger. Even as a youngin', holy hell it seems like you can get from ride to ride with no problem looking at the map, but in fact it is a marathon to get around. It would not hurt to have an encircling transportation ride at this park. Especially if it was an enclosed air conditioned type of thing. Man that would be such a glorious addition to the park.

So strange that back in the day transportation rides seemed to be a standard, almost the highlight attraction, and nowadays no park wants to pay for guest convenience because they can't run an ad that will make them any money.

No way to advertise it as an attraction? Damn! Guess it's all a pipe dream...

Yah, some folks wanna bitch about Magic Mountain with no transportation ride, but Cedar Point is friggin huger. Even as a youngin', holy hell it seems like you can get from ride to ride with no problem looking at the map, but in fact it is a marathon to get around. It would not hurt to have an encircling transportation ride at this park. Especially if it was an enclosed air conditioned type of thing. Man that would be such a glorious addition to the park.

So strange that back in the day transportation rides seemed to be a standard, almost the highlight attraction, and nowadays no park wants to pay for guest convenience because they can't run an ad that will make them any money.

The park is huge but I never felt they had a problem with transportation rides. They have a ridiculously high capacity train ride and a ridiculously high capacity Sky Ride that can get you from the absolute back to the absolute front and you'll only have to walk for like 2 minutes down the midway by Iron Dragon.

Hi guys, I'm sorry to interrupt the talk about Valravn, but I really need help with something! Im planning my very first visit to Cedar Point in late May. Plans are to flight to Cleveland (I live in Boston), take the train to Sandusky and then, considering that I can't rent a car and that the hotels on the Point are so expensive, I was thinking about staying at a hotel in Sandusky and take a taxi to the park. I plan to stay for like two days. Do you think that's feasbile? A good idea? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you very much! (ps.: chances are that Ill be all by myself.)

Why cant you rent a car? But a taxi or Uber should work. All seems feasible. There are alot of hotels within 5-10 minutes

Why cant you rent a car? But a taxi or Uber should work. All seems feasible. There are alot of hotels within 5-10 minutes

I imagine it's the price. Sounds like he's not 25, which means renting a car is going to be a big expense.

So probably an obvious stupid question coming this way. Clearly have to activate season pass by going to activation center, but I can still do the early entry correct? (It's a Platinum Pass.)

If I am not mistaken, a week or so before the park opens, they start season pass processing.

Edit: Took 3 seconds to find this on the website. https://www.cedarpoint.com/hours-directions/season-pass-processing?mobile=0

I'd contact the park in a few weeks, and you should be able to get in touch with someone is Guest Services who knows more.

I know Kings Island does processing before opening day

I saw that but I'm not a local unfortunately, I'm flying in the night before well after the park closes. It appears the center is outside the park too. (I haven't actually done a pass like this for a while since I go to Six Flags parks.) Thanks guys guess I'll be calling next month.

The park is huge but I never felt they had a problem with transportation rides. They have a ridiculously high capacity train ride and a ridiculously high capacity Sky Ride that can get you from the absolute back to the absolute front and you'll only have to walk for like 2 minutes down the midway by Iron Dragon.

That and the fact that it's one of the parks that is completely flat.

It's not that hard to get around Cedar Point...no where near as difficult as traversing SFMM, Dollywood or Hershey.

Bill I have a question about Sky Ride. When we were there last year the first few days in July, the lines for Sky Ride looked like they would be about 15-20 mins long, it was packed with people. Seemed silly to wait when the ride doesn't even go that far. Is it really a people eater and we should have waited? We could walk from Gatekeeper to Maverick in about 11 minutes. Just curious. We were limited on time during our visit otherwise would have gone on it for funsies.

Bill I have a question about Sky Ride. When we were there last year the first few days in July, the lines for Sky Ride looked like they would be about 15-20 mins long, it was packed with people. Seemed silly to wait when the ride doesn't even go that far. Is it really a people eater and we should have waited? We could walk from Gatekeeper to Maverick in about 11 minutes. Just curious. We were limited on time during our visit otherwise would have gone on it for funsies.

Both the sky ride and train routes can be faster walking than riding, if you account for waiting. The difference is made up in the few minutes you get to relax while riding instead of walking.

I remember riding the frontier skyride( yea, i'm old), and wish there was a way to bring it back. Not gonna happen with rougarou and dragon iron in the way. The station is still in frontier town right at mine rides exit. It's used for storage and bathrooms now. The other station used to be near where coasters restaurant is now.

Both the sky ride and train routes can be faster walking than riding, if you account for waiting. The difference is made up in the few minutes you get to relax while riding instead of walking.

This, but Sky Ride is a ridiculous people eater the way they run it. They have an incredible crew and average less than 10 seconds per dispatch per side.

I just really enjoy the views and the experience of riding it though. It's the oldest ride of its kind in the country.

Cedar Point is HUGE and could benefit from a monorail. The entire property is over 400 plus acres and the park is a little over 363 acres. Just for context Disneyland's resort is a little under 450 acres with two theme parks and they have a monorail

My only fear about a transportation option that covers the park is that they are already tight on space; the ride would require a storage/maintenance facility and just take up space or constrain the use of certain spaces. I would imagine a transportation ride would also have to service the hotels and water parks. I think the lack of site wide transport is deliberate because that they do not want people riding past rides and retail. Cedar Point would have to be more thoughtful and deliberate about how they use the space and really think long term to pull that idea off.

Just for context Disneyland's resort is a little under 450 acres with two theme parks and they have a monorail.

Yeah, but let's be honest. That monorail is hardly a means of transportation. It doesn't even stop for DCA. It's convenient if you don't want to walk the 5 minutes from the Downtown Disney station to the main Disneyland entrance, but I've always considered it to be a piece of history rather than a transport option.

Love the photo of the Frontier Lift. I liked it better than the Main Midway one just because you traversed over all those trees.

I think CP has an adequate transportation system with the Sky Ride at the front and the train ride that goes to the back. It's just a short walk from the Corkscrew end of the Sky Ride to the train station by Iron Dragon. The pain in the a$$ might be the long stretch between Corkscrew/Dragster back to Gemini.

My only fear about a transportation option that covers the park is that they are already tight on space...

I appreciate your comparison to Disneyland's resort. However, I think Cedar Point is one of the last parks I'd consider that is tight on space. IMO, they could easily do one and put the maintenance and storage facility in an isolated area that would never be considered for an attraction.

To add to that, transportation in 2016 is not what it used to be. You don't need it to be entirely employee operated. Take for example, the public transportation rail at DTW. That thing is basically computer operated, and dispatches every 3 minutes. It's super quick and takes folks from a terminal 10-15 minutes away while walking, to another terminal in about 3 minutes while riding.

The entire system would require very few employees, it could hit various locations around the park (hotels included), and might actually keep people in the park longer because they wouldn't get exhausted from walking everywhere.