TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Was the original Shoot the Rapids the ride Raptor replaced, or the ride Maverick replaced?

Neither. Original StR was somewhere else on Frontier Trail. White Water landing was replaced by Maverick and Mill Race was replaced by Raptor

The Original STR was located at the present day site of Maverick. STR was removed for WWL, which was then replaced with Maverick.

I think that we are going to look into checking this event out this year.

It looks like the event will be along the Frontier Trail this year versus the pavilion near Wicked Twister where I believe it was held last year.

I wonder if any (or all) of it will be in the old STR location? I also wonder what type of live music will be offered and if it will be big names or local acts? God knows that I could use a little more live Foreigner, Kid Rock or Starship (featuring Mickey Thomas, of course) in my life.

Capture.JPG.692f5b80d32ecef7aaacf2a546e2113b.JPG

Ever since the announcement of Shoot the Rapids leaving, I've been thinking about a realistic option that could take its place. As a result, I created Badlands, a GCI wooden coaster that would span the past area of Shoot the Rapids. Here's a video:

Wow this is AWESOME ! I think I'd prefer an Intamin pre-fab woodie however this roller coaster looks awesome! Few things that I particularly liked.

1. The station pass through is a nice touch that the GP would love. I could see so many people just posting a picture of that on their IG and Facebook.

2. The tunnels and rock work look great.

3. The ride look like it would deliver so much air time. It reminds me of a wooden version of Maverick b/c it is would not be the tallest or fastest but it won't be very intense.

4. How did you make all those rides in NL? Not only does the ride look great but the Cedar point looks great period.

5. You detailed everything so well. Even the station and pathway look very believable.

I feel like old school flume are going the way of the Dodo. When was the last time a band new flume was put into a major park? And if they do put one it is can almost be 100% positive it will have some type of restraint on it. Sorry for being so negative, just basing all this on what I see in the industry.

Phantasialand and Everland just put in brand new log flumes.

Yeah I completely and utterly disagree. Log Flumes are the best type of water ride in existence. They get you wet, they don't get you soaked, they're not like stupid Rapids rides that only get the lower half of your body and your shoes wet (which nobody wants) or you end up soaked under a waterfall (which sucks). You know what you're getting, a fun ride experience that gets you moderately wet and can run from Opening Day until the end of October and still get plenty of riders. Usually it takes you through the woods, or through some cool theming and log Flumes always have mass appeal and long lines on hot days. As they age their popularity seems to remain high no matter what.

It's not because of nostalgia, it's because they're great.

4. How did you make all those rides in NL? Not only does the ride look great but the Cedar point looks great period.

I think he must get coaster models from others and then add them in, and just do a bit of modeling to make the park itself

There are plenty of Recreations out there of the rides at Cedar Point to Download for NL1 and NL2, and since they are only in the background, they don't really need to be that high quality.

I maintain that every park should have a log flume. They are relaxing, you get sprinkled not soaked, there's a hill involved for thrills and family members of all ages can ride. I think Splash Mountain is the best of them because it's super long and has fun things to look at.

I maintain that every park should have a log flume. They are relaxing, you get sprinkled not soaked, there's a hill involved for thrills and family members of all ages can ride. I think Splash Mountain is the best of them because it's super long and has fun things to look at.

This is exactly what amusement parks lately are missing, is rides anyone can enjoy together as a family, instead of rides that are just for kids and rides just for the thrill seekers. You don't see many fun-for-all rides being added anymore, just taken out.

I agree with this. I think my favorite flume ride before it went defunct was the old pirate themed Haunted River at Kings Dominion. Not sure if that counts as a traditional flume (I honestly don't remember if it had restraints or not). Either way, that was a nice, fun, cheesy anamatronic good time! Now that it's gone, I'd throw my chips in for splash mountain. There's something about those old fashion flumes that is just fun! As an aside, they're one of my favorite rides to operate too. I love walking along the catwalks and waving at people while they go by, and the loading process is so much simpler than many modern rides. Plus, at the end of the night you get to put on waders an stand in the trough to physically push boats off into the boat barn, or if they're staying in the trough, you get to try and lasso them with a chain as they go by! At least this was my experience with Le Scoot at BGW, but I'd assume the SOP is similar at all parks that have a flume.

Ever since the announcement of Shoot the Rapids leaving, I've been thinking about a realistic option that could take its place. As a result, I created Badlands, a GCI wooden coaster that would span the past area of Shoot the Rapids. Here's a video:

Wow this is AWESOME ! I think I'd prefer an Intamin pre-fab woodie however this roller coaster looks awesome! Few things that I particularly liked.

1. The station pass through is a nice touch that the GP would love. I could see so many people just posting a picture of that on their IG and Facebook.

2. The tunnels and rock work look great.

3. The ride look like it would deliver so much air time. It reminds me of a wooden version of Maverick b/c it is would not be the tallest or fastest but it won't be very intense.

5. You detailed everything so well. Even the station and pathway look very believable.

Man I agree with this so much. This looks very realistic and professional. I LOVE the idea of a through-the-station fly by. While I too want to see an RMC meanstreak, I don't think that really "counts" as a wooden coaster the way this does, and for that reason, I think CP should really build another "great" true wooden coaster. I like this concept because it would allow a dynamite woodie AND an RMCification of MS.

Also, @rcoaster10

How the hell are you getting a frame rate that good on such an intensive park in NL2? For me the bottle neck is disk retrieval, and I have a pretty darn fast SSD. I'll run like 20% CPU usage, 40% GPU, 15% ram, but bottle neck at disk speed even with an SSD keeping my frame rate around 15-20 at times when this level of complexity is on screen. What on earth kind of a monster rig are you running? I'm super impressed/jealous. I also second the request to try your park out, if you're comfortable with that. It looks amazing man!

^To answer your last question, It's using the in-game recorder. The recorder renders each individual frame so that the ending file won't have any lag to it. That way, you could be running an NL2 park at 2fps, but the video file that you recorded will be a perfectly smooth 30/60/25/etc fps (what ever you set it to in the export settings).