TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Can someone offer any real evidence outside of, "I heard somewhere" or "I think I read that" or "Someone (with no name or title) told me that," to the existence of a contract between Cedar Point and B&M that entails a multiple ride package? Or a contract between Cedar Point and Intamin? These rumors are swarming like flies on sh%t, with not a shred of verified evidence to indicate such contracts ever existed.

Maybe, just maybe, Cedar Point/Cedar Fair currently has a good business relationship with B&M so they continue to make multiple purchases from them?

Your evidence is logic. Having long-term plans is a better logical way to run a business, rather than purchasing coasters on a whim, year to year. Let me ask you this. B&M has been known in the past to turn down some parks because they are simply too busy with other projects in those particular years. Why would Cedar Point run that risk, when they could just purchase a 3+ ride package deal years in advance, guaranteeing that "X" ride is installed in "Y" year? Not to mention I'm sure there's some sort of discount in doing so. Makes more business sense to me, I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can someone offer any real evidence outside of, "I heard somewhere" or "I think I read that" or "Someone (with no name or title) told me that," to the existence of a contract between Cedar Point and B&M that entails a multiple ride package? Or a contract between Cedar Point and Intamin? These rumors are swarming like flies on sh%t, with not a shred of verified evidence to indicate such contracts ever existed.

Maybe, just maybe, Cedar Point/Cedar Fair currently has a good business relationship with B&M so they continue to make multiple purchases from them?

Your evidence is logic. Having long-term plans is a better logical way to run a business, rather than purchasing coasters on a whim, year to year. Let me ask you this. B&M has been known in the past to turn down some parks because they are simply too busy with other projects in those particular years. Why would Cedar Point run that risk, when they could just purchase a 3+ ride package deal years in advance, guaranteeing that "X" ride is installed in "Y" year? Not to mention I'm sure there's some sort of discount in doing so. Makes more business sense to me, I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or, just maybe, hypothetically speaking just for this conversation's purposes go, can't a company place an order from said manufacturer in 2010 for a coaster that will open in 2015, and then place another order from the same manufacturer in 2012 for 2017. Two separate, independent purchases. No package deal. Again, just two separate purchases that came about after the park agreed on plans. Stop pulling sh*t out of your a** and calling it truth. Unless you have proof of these package deals then don't imply they exist.

Realistically, Cedar Point probably started planning Valravn around IAAPA 2014. B&M might have a certain amount of projects they can do in a year, but when Rob Decker picks up the phone and tells Walter Bolliger he needs a coaster for Cedar Point for a certain year, I'm sure B&M will figure out a way to do it regardless of the amount of projects B&M has on the slate for that year.

Also, if you have seen ajfelice's posts before, you would know that he works in the industry and probably has a better idea about how this stuff works more than any of us do.

I was thinking about this at work today - how much would CP lose out if Soak City was included with admission to the park? After all it's going to be at least $65 just to get into the park this year and Cedar Point is already a two day park as it is. They've combined Oceans of Fun with Worlds of Fun - how has that worked out for them?

It was probably the best idea the park has had in 15+ years. Attendance skyrocketed.

I was thinking about this at work today - how much would CP lose out if Soak City was included with admission to the park? After all it's going to be at least $65 just to get into the park this year and Cedar Point is already a two day park as it is. They've combined Oceans of Fun with Worlds of Fun - how has that worked out for them?

It was probably the best idea the park has had in 15+ years. Attendance skyrocketed.

I'm wondering if, with Cedar Point, the dry park is already enough of a draw for the vast majority of their visitors, and they look at Soak City as an upcharge that a percentage of the people already visiting regardless will buy into. Whereas at World's of Fun, the combination of admission actually draws more people to the park as a whole. I just feel like this is great incentive at Worlds of Fun but not nearly as enticing at Cedar Point, because the people come anyways, regardless of the inclusion of a free water park. Therefor keeping it as a separate admission promises higher revenue with the water park in its current state.

I could see Cedar Point expanding the capacity and attractions of Soak City, retheming/renaming it, and combining the two parks into one admission with some strong marketing tactics and pricing plans that bring in more 3 day visitors, and turn more 1 day visitors into 2 day visitors. Places like Universal Orlando already do this, with great pricing incentive to stay for 3 days. It makes it hard to pay just a slightly lower amount for 2 days. Of course, people think they are getting a third day for 10 dollars essentially, but then they buy food and make other expenses throughout the park. As long as the capacity management is there I don't see why Cedar Point wouldn't want to entice people to stay a day longer than they have historically.

I could see CP possibly turning Soak City into an "included with a park pass" perk, but they would definitely need to expand it into the Challenge Park area. Perhaps add a water coaster, Tornado and another large wave pool and it might be large enough to handle the increase in attendance.

Currently, I feel that the park does pretty well despite it being separate admission for non-season pass members. I can only recall being there once where the slides didn't have decent-sized waits...and that's because temps were only in the mid to upper 60's that day.

Heck, people seem to love water parks so much that CP could probably just add the aforementioned additions, still keep it a separate admission, and still get high attendance numbers for the season.

A new blog post is up detailing everything new (besides Valravn) announced at Winter Chill Out.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/All-The-New-Things

What struck me is how Tony really kinda "inched past" the ride removals, unlike this blog post from November 2014 announcing the Good Time Theater was closing, where it had a post all to itself.

I just noticed that Shoot the Rapids has finally been removed from Cedar Point's web-site. Took them long enough.

I agree. I think it took them way to long to remove Shoot The Rapids from the website.

I mean, they just officially announced that the ride would be removed Saturday at Winter Chill Out.

I think it's pretty much a given that Soak City will be expanded in the near future...which will also give CP a chance to update its last entry gate.

Here's an idea...a friend mentioned that he could see GL's Wildwater Kingdom closing at the end of the summer (it's honestly surprising that it's stayed open this long, to be frank) and seeing Thunder Falls and Liquid Lightning transplanted to CP as part of said expansion...thoughts?

I'm just leaving this cleveland.com article here for discussion:

Cedar Point won't raise fence in response to death of man struck by roller coaster

What exactly would raising the height of the fence do, other than make it slightly more of a nuisance for someone who's dead-set on intentionally breaking the rules to do so?

I'm just leaving this cleveland.com article here for discussion:

Cedar Point won't raise fence in response to death of man struck by roller coaster

What exactly would raising the height of the fence do, other than make it slightly more of a nuisance for someone who's dead-set on intentionally breaking the rules to do so?

I find the below quote from the article quite annoying.

The elder Young, also of East Canton, said his family has not yet decided whether they will sue Cedar Point for any responsibility the park may have had in his son's death.

What are they going to sue Cedar Point for? The fact that their son disregarded all safety warnings that were set in place including not having any loose articles on the rides and climbing over the fences into the restricted area is completely his fault. I see no fault with the park. What this man should have done was alerted a ride attendant or park official that he had lost his phone (or whatever it was) and waited until a staff member had retrieved it. Some people are completely oblivious and can't seem to realize that they aren't invincible. Good job Cedar Point for keeping the fences around Raptor the same height as you don't need to cater to the stupidity of someone else!