TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Theres a website, I'll see if i can find it, they compile attendance record for the park. I think its called "Crowd Calendar"...? I've used it in the past for my visits, and it was seldom wrong. Park was a ghost town.

EDIT: I can't find it anywhere. I've found pictures of past years "crowd calendars" on pintrest, but when I search the website that it says its from (www.thepointOL.com) I get a message saying "website unavailable". Damn shame, their expected crowd levels always seemed so accurate, and being my homepark, there was many chances for the crowd calendar to be wrong.

So, I am currently doing preliminary planning for my first trip to the Point in 13 years (when TTD was brand new). I plan on staying at Breakers Express, to get the benefits of staying on property while saving some money. I will also be leaving money aside for at least one day of FP and one day of FP+, as my only trip to CP was brutally crowded and was at a time where FP was not available. I want multiple rides on all the top 10 rides in the park, with at least 3-5 rides on the top 5 coasters in 2.5 days.

Currently, I am looking at one of the final weeks of May or the 2nd week of June, which will be the first week where the park stays open until 10pm. I will be arriving in the evening on Monday, and leaving Thursday morning. Now, the upside of the May visit would be less crowds, whereas the upside of the June visit would be 6 extra hours plus opportunity for night rides on MF. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the June visit as FP + early entry should give me enough chances to get on as many rides as I want.

Anyway, would like to hear some opinions to the following questions:

1) Would you pick May or June to visit the park?

2) Are there any eateries of remotely decent value at the park? And if we do decide to go off property to eat lunch/dinner, is the parking pass good all-day or would we have to pay for re-entry?

3) Should I purchase the flash passes ahead of time, or risk buying them on the spot? I am leaning towards waiting until I go since I will be going early in the season on weekdays, so I feel I should have no issue?

4) Do the flash pass lines merge in the station or in the queue? And what are the flash pass line lengths vs. The regular lines on a moderately busy day?

5) Are there any must-see shows at the park?

It's really nice to stay inside the park but there are alternatives. There are several hotels and restaurants over near Sandusky Mall. It's about 15 minutes from the park. We saved a bunch of money last summer by staying over there last year. We also had another trip and stayed at the new Breakers. It was great being within walking distance but overall it was more expensive.

Interesting how with Shoot the Rapids coming down, this is the second modern Intamin flume ride to be removed after operating for only 5 seasons (the other being Pilgrim's Plunge). Talk about a failed product...

Are there other examples of this kind of situation happening with another ride type? Maybe the HUSS Topple Towers?

Interesting how with Shoot the Rapids coming down, this is the second modern Intamin flume ride to be removed after operating for only 5 seasons (the other being Pilgrim's Plunge). Talk about a failed product...

Are there other examples of this kind of situation happening with another ride type? Maybe the HUSS Topple Towers?

I'm sure there's a lot more. It's just a hard topic to think of on the spot. S&S air launched coasters are another example; Dodonpa is the only one that they got dialed in.

I'm sure there's a lot more. It's just a hard topic to think of on the spot. S&S air launched coasters are another example; Dodonpa is the only one that they got dialed in.

Powder Keg as well.

Good points. I can't think of any; someone else may be able to besides the Topple Towers.

I've never seen a ride going from being a staple in every single park to completely gone from everywhere like the Chance Chaos. As far as I know there are only two still operating in America. That's the one that immediately comes to mind.

I wonder will they hit up Intamin again and just get a river rapids ride.

I wonder will they hit up Intamin again and just get a river rapids ride.

Cedar Point? What's wrong with Thunder Canyon?

If they wanted something a little bit more than a standard log flume, I'd love to see something along the lines of Phantasialand's log ride with all that great theming. However I see Cedar Point getting a Hopkins Super flume ride similar to Everland's (I think theirs is still the newest one built) filling the void if STR disappeared. Not too heavy on the theming and they running pretty consistently with little down-time, 8 boat seater like STR so capacity would be the same and it'd be another backwards tracked ride for the park outside of Wicked Twister and uhh.... Dragster

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

02_375.jpg

Good points. I can't think of any; someone else may be able to besides the Topple Towers.

I've never seen a ride going from being a staple in every single park to completely gone from everywhere like the Chance Chaos. As far as I know there are only two still operating in America. That's the one that immediately comes to mind.

Most, like the Chaos, last a little while first before being removed. But it usually takes some sort of dramatic issue. The Chaos fell of the hub at Michigan's Adventure: That's a big oops. The Huss Rainbows pretty much all disappeared after they were developing structural steel cracks, IIRC. Setpoint's small suspended coasters were all awful w/capacity and ended up getting replaced, as previously suggested. Spellbreaker at Legoland California lasted, what, two years?