TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I wonder why the waited until mid-Feb to start removing this ride. Why not start in late Sept./Oct, this ride isn't used for Halloweekends? Wonder if this decision was just made in the past week or so.

Holiday World waited until April to remove Pilgrims Plunge, so it isn't that strange.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

I'm a huge Intamin and flume fan, but STR was a puzzling stinker that totally overcooked a perfectly fine formula for what a flume should be:

- The drop sequence seemed to be in the wrong order

- The seats and floors of the cars often returned to the station in a waterlogged & nasty state

- Way too much dull, ground-level meandering at 2 mph

- Way too much wetness for a flume, made worse by the fact that the "let's get soaked" role was already covered by two other nearby water rides

- The trains had none of the zany intimacy that you get from riding in a log with your group

- Felt like a "hot dog" composite of spare parts borrowed from Intamin's coasters, while never capturing the fun or feel of a flume

- Maintenance woes and lengthy closures

- The accident

In addition, those chunks of real estate between the water, Frontier Town, & Millennium Isle are too valuable for a flume that I think was a notch below Whitewater Landing. I've heard nothing but good things about Chiapas, so it seems like Intamin has really improved on its flume technology, but they've had some hiccups in the water rides department, for sure.

Again, I still love Intamin. We all know who built the best rides in the park.

I don't know if I'm late to the party, but there are some really cool rotational and iso-perspective tools that you can now use on Google to check out the park! I'm really having fun with this. The coasters give off a 3-D effect, too -- kind of a merging between the visuals of Maps and Earth. The look is inspiring my early wishlist for RCT 5 or Planet Coaster II.

cp.thumb.jpg.5774e9d4632d7aa65ef8bf75f0050b58.jpg

cp2.thumb.jpg.65f10032e38c06edbf54d50a613fa7be.jpg

Sorry, I know this is off topic of STR, but does anyone know the power levels (Voltage or wattage) Wicked Twister uses? I'm just doing a small report on the feasibility of LIM transportation.

Back to STR for a second, does anyone else find it ironic how we're all complaining about that missing boat, and now CP is removing a boat ride? ',:^I

Wow, talking about being out of the loop - STR is leaving? I never rode it as I'm not a big fan of walking around soaking wet but I always enjoyed dropping quarters and water bombing people on the ride. They should move the water cannons over to Thunder Canyon where they belong.

Other than VertiGo this has to be the shortest stay for a ride at the park in recent memory.

It's a shame this ride was such a miss for the park because it was definitely a good idea in the planning stage, and it looked pretty cool and fit in really nicely on the Frontier Trail. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new type of water ride in the next few years, but then again it sounds like they've had this vision in mind leading up to a massive coaster in 2020 (if you don't know what I'm talking look back about a year in the Cedar Fair development thread), so if this wasn't in the cards since 2011 (which it definitely wasn't) Inwouldnt be surprised either to see only two water rides in the dry park for a while.

As for its spot, I hope if they do move whatever that Challenge Park upcharge ride is that it's just temporary. What I imagine is a great possibility is that they could phase out Challenge Park in the next few years (like Valleyfair did) for two possibilities: a Soak City expansion (which I'm sure will happen at some point soon) and/or the station for the next new coaster (which, as I said, is supposedly massive. Nobody knows anything beyond that though, so don't take this as if I'm trying to pretend like I know what's happening).

I could also see them using Shoot the Rapids' location for either the station for the next coaster, part of its layout, or a new ride of some sort. Maybe even a new water ride down the line.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Challenge Park super outdated and relatively unpopular? I know that the park is in no way out of space but you do need a considerable amount of space on the ground for a station and queue. Removing the mini golf, go karts and whatever upcharge rides are back there would open up a good chunk of space for the possibilities I mentioned above.

I'm also very curious when this decision was made. I'm sure it was after the summer because they would've had some "last riders" ceremony or whatever. It's all very weird to me, but it's eerily similar to CP randomly removing the Ice Rink after the 2014 season by Raptor way before announcing anything about Valravn. Advanced planning is what it's all about.

Nothing has been "confirmed" by official sources yet about the rides removal. I wouldn't put much into this before cedarpoint makes a statement about this.

The media / news outlets have not been the most reliable as of late ( CNN for example ). For all we know, they could be replacing or repairing a section of the ride. Also notice the word "may" in the headline.

FB_IMG_1455291416328.thumb.jpg.344a62c57b92abe56b6fade29c70f585.jpg

Edited by thrillrider

Sorry, I know this is off topic of STR, but does anyone know the power levels (Voltage or wattage) Wicked Twister uses? I'm just doing a small report on the feasibility of LIM transportation.

Back to STR for a second, does anyone else find it ironic how we're all complaining about that missing boat, and now CP is removing a boat ride? ',:^I

Have you tried emailing Intamin? I have no idea how ride manufacturers respond to questions like yours, or if they even do. Maybe the manual would have it, but I won't get access to them till closer to the season (Assuming that VF's Steel Venom is similar enough in power to Wicked Twister). It's enough to seriously injure or kill someone, though. They have their own power supplies, which also happens to make them giant freakin' lightning rods.

LIMs are already used on Maglev trains, though.

Edited by Meghna

I honestly think Cedar Point gives information to The Sandusky Register to build anticipation (Gatekeeper & Valravn memos).

Either that or The Sandusky Register has THE HOOKUP DAWG

But seriously, if this is just an inaccurate rumor than I think Tony would have said it straight up instead of saying "We are currently focused on Valravn ---> THE FASTEST AND TALLEST DIVE COASTER IN THE WORLD <--- (So Cedar Point)

IMO, STR is coming down and rightfully so.

Blue Streak is a meh ride).

Blue Streak is a perfectly good classic wood coaster. I'm not saying they couldn't benefit from a new generation wood coaster but that's really being overly critical of Blue Streak.

New for 2017: Shoot The Rapids splashing in at Dorney Park!

I know this was intended as a joke, but Dorney Park already has a log flume far superior to STR.

The Thunder Creek Mountain revolution is growing.

Blue Streak is a meh ride).

Blue Streak is a perfectly good classic wood coaster. I'm not saying they couldn't benefit from a new generation wood coaster but that's really being overly critical of Blue Streak.

I know this was intended as a joke, but Dorney Park already has a log flume far superior to STR.

The Thunder Creek Mountain revolution is growing.

Thunder Creek is a very good log ride; I agree that it's much better than Shoot the Rapids.

So I just looked up a POV of the log flume at Dorney. Whoa. It's like a game of "don't get launched from the ride during that last turn into the station".

ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!!! Camera 3 is on Mean Streak, maybe we will be watching its demise very soon!!!

Don't give the construction webcam fans any ideas.