TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^I'd rather have the ride as is than cut the capacity in half.

It's already got more elements than any other dive coaster, and you already have Gatekeeper to do the exact same maneuvers that Valravn would even be capable of (with the wide trains you can't have anything snappy).

Sure, I'd love the first half to have maybe one more element, but the ride was designed as it is for a reason. And I think it looks like on hell of a dive coaster.

It seems like most B&M's almost never use both course blocks at once, and the ones without MCBR's get along fine (like the gigas, which have huge capacity, don't they?). So I wonder just how it works, putting in a MCBR or not, that would be some neat insight.

I recall someone that is active on this thread (a Cedar Point employee, I forget who though) discussing this exact topic with Gatekeeper's mid-course and how it affects capacity. I do agree though, Banshee and both B&M gigacoasters do quite well without the extra block.

Cedar Point does have excellent operations, though, so I could see them needing the extra block with a super-efficient crew and given that the trains only hold 24 riders and fairly simple restraints.

In terms of dive coasters though, it allows the second "dive," which is definitely one of the highlights of the ride.

Ask if they are planning on a media day as with Banshee and Gatekeeper please. Though not an entirely new ride, I don't recall them doing a similar event with Rougarou, instead they did something with LeBron James' charity (which is certainly a good thing to do).

TPR will be on a construction tour of ValRavn tomorrow and we will have the ability to ask questions to the uber-important people of the park! What would you like us to ask about ValRavn?

this is not a joke please ask this.

Will dorney park ever get a custom coaster again?" -patient dorney fan

TPR will be on a construction tour of ValRavn tomorrow and we will have the ability to ask questions to the uber-important people of the park! What would you like us to ask about ValRavn?

WTF? Did you READ what we posted? What would you like us to ask ABOUT VALRAVN. Seriously. Why would we ask a Dorney Park question at a Cedar Point event?!?!!? If you have a question about ValRavn, please post it, but don't waste our time.

Edited by robbalvey

I believe there was a similar question earlier in the thread but I would like to bring it up again,

"How does the current Valravn design differ from early schematic designs?" I would love to hear about some of the options that they considered for Valravn and discarded.

Another question I would have is "How long did it take for Cedar Fair to decide on an Dive Coaster to actually purchasing an dive coaster?" I'm curious on how long it took Cedar Fair to consider all the options and settle on a coaster type to actually ordering one.

I'd love to know what kind of lighting package they are 0 planning on using on the ride

WTF? Did you READ what we posted? What would you like us to ask ABOUT VALRAVN. Seriously. Why would we ask a Dorney Park question at a Cedar Point event?!?!!? If you have a question about ValRavn, please post it, but don't waste our time.

You could ask them if it is hard to work on VALRAVN when it is very, very, very cold outside and your fingers hurt. I always wondered that living in So Cal You could also ask them if one of those VALRAVNs would fit in Knott's but I am guessing that question would also be inappropriate?

You could ask them if it is hard to work on VALRAVN when it is very, very, very cold outside and your fingers hurt. I always wondered that living in So Cal You could also ask them if one of those VALRAVNs would fit in Knott's but I am guessing that question would also be inappropriate?

I'd be really interested in hearing why they went with the 24-passenger trains rather than 30. I'd also be interested in knowing what kind of specifications Cedar Point approached B&M with. (Did they specifically want a dive coaster? A certain height? Specific number of inversions? Train/restraint requirements?)

14e50ab352749195f0cb2cc0cebfb4c3.jpg

14e50ab352749195f0cb2cc0cebfb4c3.jpg

I'd like to find out why B&M uses different angles for their first drop supports. Fury 325, Mako and Valravn have their larger first drop supports that are not straight up and down, whereas Shambhala, Diamondback and Behemoth all have first drop supports that go straight up and down. Is there a reason for the difference?

^Sure doesn't seem like it. You're going to get the naked, unthemed, raw B&M in a Cedar Point park coaster experience we've all been accustomed to. In my humble opinion, while I love the park, these kinds of things could really bolster the park, but they continually decide to go without it.

I'd like to find out why B&M uses different angles for their first drop supports. Fury 325, Mako and Valravn have their larger first drop supports that are not straight up and down, whereas Shambhala, Diamondback and Behemoth all have first drop supports that go straight up and down. Is there a reason for the difference?

Probably a design choice. An engineering choice as well. While ride experiences may seem similar to coaster folk, every park, every layout, every environment is different. They accommodate to that, then build the coaster accordingly.

^ I think it also has a lot to do with advances in technology/learning more over time. It happens all the time in roller coaster design. The engineers figure out ways to support things using much less supports, ext. To be quite honest though, the question we're answering is probably a question the higher ups at CP can't answer, as that answer lies with the engineers at B&M.

My question would be how long was this ride in the planning stage and how long did it take to get to the final design? I'm curious to see if it was a long drawn out process or if it came together rather quick.

I'd like to know if they considered any other manufacturers, or did they go straight to b&m?

It seems like B&M has been Cedar Fair's go to recently for their big additions. It kinda makes sense considering they hired a disney guy. B&M are the more beautiful coaster and they are capacity monster, another thing disney is known for.

I assumed it was just the most cost efficient way to carry the load. Given Cedar Point's complete lack of theming or effects I doubt they break the bank on cool supports for the ride.