TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I don't know how anyone could complain about Valravn.

Did you miss all the pages of people complaining about how forceless dive machines are, and how they couldn't belive that Cedar Point would get a coaster like this... back when it was first leaked that Cedar Point was getting Valravn??

Oh dear God. And let's not mention all the comments about the color being to similar to other rides in the park.

Many of those who have amazingly changed their minds now that they are seeing construction photos???

^I haven't changed my mind! As a coaster fan, I do not believe this extraordinarily large investment is money well spent. Sure, I'm not looking at it from Cedar Point's point of view, but very fortunately for me I'm not Cedar Point and therefor free to say that this money could've been spent on a much more interesting, innovative ride.

^I haven't changed my mind! As a coaster fan, I do not believe this extraordinarily large investment is money well spent. Sure, I'm not looking at it from Cedar Point's point of view, but very fortunately for me I'm not Cedar Point and therefor free to say that this money could've been spent on a much more interesting, innovative ride.

I also haven't changed my mind in the least the colors are still horrible and There's nothing to get excited about over a Giant B&M cookie cutter

Edited by johnnyknottsville

Did you miss all the pages of people complaining about how forceless dive machines are, and how they couldn't belive that Cedar Point would get a coaster like this... back when it was first leaked that Cedar Point was getting Valravn??

I didn't miss it, I just think it's ridiculous.

Over the course of 4 years this park basically added 3 great new huge B&M coasters. They're not Maverick or Millennium Force, but they're great rides. If you want to fight me on Rougarou I really don't care. They turned a lawn ornament that may as well have not been there since we never ever rode it or acknowledged it's existence into one of the best floorless coasters out there. That may as well have been a new coaster.They're adding a huge dive machine and I don't know of a single person in existence that doesn't like Sheikra or Griffon and they added a wing coaster with an incredible first drop and an awesome visual element over the main entrance. Personally I think it's a great ride that (while not Maverick or Raptor) does what it's supposed to do very well. It looks great, it has a killer first drop, it's very smooth and it created a smooth ride experience that simulates the feeling of flight. They also revamped the Gemeni midway in this time (adding Pipe Scream, Eagles and Slinghot), made Hotel Breakers a decent hotel and to shut whiny enthusiasts up they added softer straps to a coaster that was already awesome and smooth.

I'm having a really hard time thinking of a park that's added more than Cedar Point in that time-frame, all of which are really solid additions. So no, I don't get the whining. If you want relentless intensity, Maverick and Raptor are waiting for you but I think everything the park has done lately has really added to their already insane collection of thrill rides and I couldn't be happier. I think everyone will be very happy with Valravn based on the ride experience of Sheikra and Griffon. The only people that are going to complain are the people that had ridiculous expectations going in.

^^

I don't get why they are complaining about getting ANOTHER B&M. I mean, there are tons of parks that haven't gotten a B&M in years, yet CP Fanboys complain about another one coming to their park.

Oh dear God. And let's not mention all the comments about the color being to similar to other rides in the park.

Many of those who have amazingly changed their minds now that they are seeing construction photos???

Those people are almost as bad as the turds complaining about people posting construction pictures!!

Those people are almost as bad as the turds complaining about people posting construction pictures!!

Speaking of photos. . .

They are starting to get a lot of track on site. They have 6 new pieces on site now. (Including those for the top of the Immelmann.)

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Screenshot_2016-01-16-10-11-49.thumb.png.a422cf98405487c831c81aa31aa61a40.png

I am sure this will be a big hit for the park, especially with the GP. I'm not a fan of the dive coasters. I wish there was more to them. I liked how Busch did more with theirs compared to Oblivion at Alton Towers. But they are still short rides with no substance. I was hoping CP would have done more. But that is my opinion. As I am a person that considers Millennium Force boring.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about it, I just think it's a little sad. If there's a ride I'm excited about, I'll every so often drop in to see what sort of progress has been made, but then I move on. I don't check every hour or so and gleefully post updates about the latest five bolts that have been moved onto the construction site. I try to live as well rounded of a life as possible; coasters are only a small part of it.

When I check on updates, it usually goes like this:

"Oh. Pretty cool." *continues living life*

I certainly believe that to each their own, and I do appreciate following a project from afar, but I will never, ever understand being so fixated on it like some people here.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about it, I just think it's a little sad. If there's a ride I'm excited about, I'll every so often drop in to see what sort of progress has been made, but then I move on. I don't check every hour or so and gleefully post updates about the latest five bolts that have been moved onto the construction site. I try to live as well rounded of a life as possible; coasters are only a small part of it.

I certainly believe that to each their own, and I do appreciate following a project from afar, but I will never, ever understand being so fixated on it like some people here.

It's the off-season we need something to do!

I don't check every hour either but it's certainly more exciting to see progress on the coaster rather than read peoples negative comments about a ride, park, or manufacturer. Just my Humble Opinion.

I didn't miss it, I just think it's ridiculous.

Over the course of 4 years this park basically added 3 great new huge B&M coasters. They're not Maverick or Millennium Force, but they're great rides. If you want to fight me on Rougarou I really don't care. They turned a lawn ornament that may as well have not been there since we never ever rode it or acknowledged it's existence into one of the best floorless coasters out there. That may as well have been a new coaster.They're adding a huge dive machine and I don't know of a single person in existence that doesn't like Sheikra or Griffon and they added a wing coaster with an incredible first drop and an awesome visual element over the main entrance. Personally I think it's a great ride that (while not Maverick or Raptor) does what it's supposed to do very well. It looks great, it has a killer first drop, it's very smooth and it created a smooth ride experience that simulates the feeling of flight. They also revamped the Gemeni midway in this time (adding Pipe Scream, Eagles and Slinghot), made Hotel Breakers a decent hotel and to shut whiny enthusiasts up they added softer straps to a coaster that was already awesome and smooth.

I'm having a really hard time thinking of a park that's added more than Cedar Point in that time-frame, all of which are really solid additions. So no, I don't get the whining. If you want relentless intensity, Maverick and Raptor are waiting for you but I think everything the park has done lately has really added to their already insane collection of thrill rides and I couldn't be happier. I think everyone will be very happy with Valravn based on the ride experience of Sheikra and Griffon. The only people that are going to complain are the people that had ridiculous expectations going in.

If this ride was going in at almost any other park, I'd be super excited. Cedar Point already has SO MANY roller coasters that I feel like it's time for them to either spice it up with some more interesting themed rides, or at the very least, pick coaster models that are new and innovative. Or why not a major attraction that will appeal more to the mid-level coaster fan, like a new CGI twister? This is going to be the SEVENTH opportunity to see Cedar Point from 200+ feet off the ground. It's just getting redundant. I mean you have to admit that as far as major investments go, this is as conservative as it gets.

I mean you have to admit that as far as major investments go, this is as conservative as it gets.

If you were spending tens of millions of dollars on a new ride, wouldn't you want a ride that's guaranteed to be a hit, guaranteed to be reliable, just about guaranteed to be open on time and offers a cool new experience that non enthusiasts will find completely awesome and will be shared constantly on social media (the holding brake) leading to great word-of-mouth advertising?

Of course it's a conservative, smart investment. What's wrong with that?

I mean you have to admit that as far as major investments go, this is as conservative as it gets.

If you were spending tens of millions of dollars on a new ride, wouldn't you want a ride that's guaranteed to be a hit, guaranteed to be reliable, just about guaranteed to be open on time and offers a cool new experience that non enthusiasts will find completely awesome and will be shared constantly on social media (the holding brake) leading to great word-of-mouth advertising?

Of course it's a conservative, smart investment. What's wrong with that?

Right. The funniest complaint is that it's over 200 feet tall. Seriously? That's hilarious!

I can't think of a different manufacturer I would want Cedar Point to go with. Cedar Point needs high capacity coasters to move people through the line, especially during peak season. Cedar Point needed reliable coasters after Wicked Twister, Dragster, and Maverick. I'd love an RMC coaster, but it's better to get it after many of your competitors, so you can blow them away with your model! Edit - with all the talk about repeating the same comments, I've probably said this 5+ times since the announcement of Valravn.

Edited by Mossed

I'd love an RMC coaster, but it's better to get it after many of your competitors, so you can blow them away with your model!

You mean like CP did with the dive coaster concept 18 years after Oblivion? I guess we'll see Iron Mean Streak in 2029

giphy.gif

If you guys don't want a $20 million 220 ft dive machine record breaker I'm sure dorney or any other park that hasn't received a custom coaster in forever would be happy to take it. Some of you guys need to stop complaining about this. You've gotten 3 new coaster experiences in the last four years...

I'd love an RMC coaster, but it's better to get it after many of your competitors, so you can blow them away with your model!

You mean like CP did with the dive coaster concept 18 years after Oblivion? I guess we'll see Iron Mean Streak in 2029

giphy.gif

Good point, but multiple Dive Coasters have been made recently, and Cedar Point basically jumped onto the idea of adding it because B&M doesn't have much else to offer the place that has every other type of coaster they have created.

I personally just want to see something else. For Cedar Point, I want to see something you can't find anywhere else; exclusive to them. Maverick could be arguably what you can't find elsewhere, but nothing on the ride you could say was new and unique, just great engineering. Maybe they could offer the next new thing from B&M, at least then it would give Cedar Point something new.

For a place to have a lot of older coasters be the first of their kinds but now just hash out mindless records on their coasters, they aren't giving the coaster industry anything to look at now. I think that is why so many enthusiasts aren't completely enthused about Valravn, even though it still will be a great coaster in it's own right.

Hah yeah, the dive coaster and an RMC Mean Streak might seem overripe by now, but in fairness to Mossed, Cedar Point has followed that format for a long time. Watch Paramount and Six Flags be the early adopters of coaster technologies, and then swoop in with steroid versions of various styles.

For a place to have a lot of older coasters be the first of their kinds but now just hash out mindless records on their coasters, they aren't giving the coaster industry anything to look at now. I think that is why so many enthusiasts aren't completely enthused about Valravn, even though it still will be a great coaster in it's own right.

Cedar Point didn't do firsts like Batman the Ride, Vortex, Gardaland's Raptor, Oblivion, Xcelerator, Linear Gale, or Detonator at WoF --> a lot of CP's famous records have more to do with scale than with first-to-market status.