TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

They're working today..!

I was shocked to see them working on a Saturday. Don't know if it's because they had yesterday off, or if they are expecting bad weather, so they are trying to get ahead a little.

However, here is a current look at the construction site. Looks like they are brining in the required supports to finish installing the brake run at the top, the holding brake, and the rest of the drop.

Screenshot_2016-01-02-10-52-12.thumb.png.f9e97571adc0fb822519170f5435682c.png

Still no sign of the boat returning. #BoatLivesMatter

I guess every Saturday I have checked the cameras they were just having bad weather, because this is the first Saturday I think I have ever seen them working.

Does the pullout on the drop look less gradual on Valravn than on the old dive coasters, or am I seeing things? Or maybe it's the longer drop giving me the impression.

Maybe it is less gradual...? OMG! Maybe Valravn wont be as forceless as everyone seems to think it is going to be after all!

The crane's moving right now, something's going up!

The top(ish) part of the drop just got brought on site. Wondering if they will get any more constructed today, or if they are just bring pieces on site for next week?

val.png.f9454d1b79de5d41cf143fa66e71238f.png

Looks like a big support (another V shaped one) and the last two (3?) track pieces that would then connect with the holding brake are what's currently on the site. Fun! Really interesting to watch the process.

Edited by firewalk13

Fun! Really interesting to watch the process.

Agreed. I'm greatly enjoying watching them build the coaster. There's something fun about watching the coaster go from nothing, to operational and then getting to ride it, and experience it for your self.

Last lift A support will be lifted on Monday, as well as the two track sections. After that, it's likely that they will lift the entirety of the last track (two or three sections) including the run out and holding brake would be lifted at at the same time later this week. That should go up quickly since there are no other supports to lift after this last one for the first hill..

The rest of the layout should fly once this is done. Will be fun to see them move on to other sections of the ride once the last of the first hill is placed.

Also, having a gander at the progress image, it's striking how few columns will support the whole damned coaster.

I noticed that too! Honestly though, while there typically are a lot of supports on roller coasters, most of the track (especially on B&M's) really provides a majority of the structural integrity itself. The supports are just there to keep it off the ground, and to keep the track from warping (changing shape) over years of use.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the world were to end through catastrophe, roller coasters would really probably be some of the longest standing man made structures on the planet. I could see them staying put and standing for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Here is my video blog I put together of random shots I took from this past Cedar Point season. It consists of lift walks, associate events, and playing around in the park.

Riding Millennium Force for ride night is way better than riding Steel Force for DP ride night.

I am extremely excited to ride Valravn when it's open, based on the videos and everything that they've put out so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes my favorite steel coaster.

I'm actually a defender of dive machines and Valravn. As evident throughout my posts regarding Valravn's progress in this thread, but your favorite steel? Those are super high expectations, the kind that made everyone dislike Gatekeeper.

I am extremely excited to ride Valravn when it's open, based on the videos and everything that they've put out so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes my favorite steel coaster.

I'm actually a defender of dive machines and Valravn. As evident throughout my posts regarding Valravn's progress in this thread, but your favorite steel? Those are super high expectations, the kind that made everyone dislike Gatekeeper.

I've always had high expectations for B&M's, and I'm rarely disappointed by their coasters.

I suppose favorite is a strong word, but Valravn will probably be in my top five. I've always liked dive coasters, anyway.

I've always had high expectations for B&M's, and I'm rarely disappointed by their coasters.

I suppose favorite is a strong word, but Valravn will probably be in my top five. I've always liked dive coasters, anyway.

I'm with you on this one. I think Valravn could easily become a top five coaster. Dive Machines are greatly underrated coasters, and Valravn looks to be the best Dive Machine yet!

I also am very excited for Valravn, but not because I think it will be the "best ever." I try to stay away from expectations like that. I'll put it in a list once I've ridden it, because I'm a nerd and I make lists of almost everything. Really, though, what matters most to me is which of these two lists it falls into: "Rides I enjoyed" or "Rides I didn't enjoy."

I'm excited for the total Cedar Point experience more than any individual coaster. Provided I get to ride everything I want, it will be one of several new experiences for me:

First full-circuit steel Intamin - whichever I go on first, probably Millennium Force (the two at SFGAm are my only two Intamin coasters to date)

First hydraulic launch - Top Thrill Dragster

First beyond vertical drop - Maverick

First giga coaster - Millennium Force

First strata coaster - Top Thrill Dragster

First Arrow hyper - Magnum XL 200

First dive coaster - Valravn

First fast carousel - Cedar Downs Racing Derby

Plus several others that won't be firsts for me, but look to be very fun (Sky Ride!)

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

The brake run at the top of the drop as well as the holding brake are now on site. I bet they are looking at getting that last support for the drop in place, as well as the last remaining track pieces for the drop and holding brake today.

Screenshot_2016-01-04-08-56-16.thumb.png.e791a80f6ee016736b9d3534f9a28dc9.png

Also, still no sign of the boat. :(

They really have no choice. Unless they started construction in May for the following year, there is really no way to avoid the snow and get a construction job done in the Northeast.

They've actually been lucky this year. Many of Cedar Points projects have been about 1-2 months into regular snowfall by this time of year. It is a grueling job, even without the snow fall or inclement weather conditions. My hats off to all involved in that industry.

First the time lapse videos are awesome, thanks. If you look at the Gatekeeper time lapse construction videos I think it snowed like three times.

I know that the some people are down on the drop coaster, I was one of those people on the fence, but as I watch it being built I will say:

1. This coaster is massive!

2. It has me excited about visiting Cedar Point!

3. This will look great in the skyline and on the midway!