TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I wonder if CP has another coaster planned in two seasons. Before Maverick there were many coasters added every few seasons. After Maverick there was a bit of a hiatus, but Gatekeeper and now Valravn have ended that drought. So it makes me wonder if we will be seeing more coaster additions to The Point in the next several seasons?

I love the fact that the one support is just a really long vertical pole. It's funny to imagine that the workers said something like, "Okay, guys, today we're going to build a 220 foot tall pole".

Is that what Michigan's Adventure is getting for 2016?

Sometime in the distant future, when Valravn moves on to Dorney as Valthundrhwk, maybe then Michigan's Adventure can get this pole.

2020. And I'd bet that it will be a major investment and something to remember.

Based on?

The long article in th Cedar Fair development thread went on about developing Cedar Point and highlighted 2020 as a major year in the park's development. That, and the anniversary (although that doesn't always mean something).

I really don't think parks care about park anniversaries as much as enthusiasts do. I mean sure they'll market it but it doesn't mean they'll get a major expansion.

Exactly. Remember Michigans Adventure's anniversary in 2016? Lol

Anyways, I can't access the article right now (I'm on vacation on my phone), but I do remember reading an interview with Rob Decker concerning future plans where he basically conceded that 2020 is a coaster year, and it will be a big one. If you can find the article I'm talking about a few pages back in the Cedar Fair thread, it's a really interesting read.

I really don't think parks care about park anniversaries as much as enthusiasts do. I mean sure they'll market it but it doesn't mean they'll get a major expansion.

Wait... You mean parks don't spend irresponsibly just for the sake of 'celebrating' meaningless anniversaries? I call Bullsh*t!

Wait... You mean parks don't spend irresponsibly just for the sake of 'celebrating' meaningless anniversaries? I call Bullsh*t!

I don't think it would be irresponsible spending if it were planned and marketed right (which of course it would be)

It's more about the pattern they've been going by instead of an anniversary year. We've seen new coasters added 4 years apart now. It's a combo of return investment, and the need to give other parks in the chain major attractions. CF plans this stuff years in advance and they probably overlook anniversaries until they actually come closer. Not that CP wouldn't add something large for that year anyways, but parks also take years off for anniversaries too.

Look at King's Dominion. For their "40th anniversary celebration" in 2014, they went for refurbishments and brought back some nostalgic features instead of adding a large attraction. It was the next year that the Soak City expansion came (even though this was the true anniversary year).

It's more about the pattern they've been going by instead of an anniversary year. We've seen new coasters added 4 years apart now.

We have?

2016 - Valravn

2013 - Gatekeeper

2007 - Maverick

2003 - Top Thrill Dragster

2002 - Wicked Twister

2000 - Millennium Force

1996 - Mantis

1994 - Raptor

1991 - Mean Streak

1989 - Magnum

1987 - Iron Dragon

1985 - Disaster Transport

1978 - Gemini

1976 - Corkscrew

1972 - Jumbo Jet

1969 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

1964 - Blue Streak

Yeah, I see what you mean. Three times in last 50 years two coasters were added 4 years apart. That's gotta be a pattern.

Of course the park cares!! Haven't you heard yet?! They have planed an entire new roller coaster around their 150th anniversary! It's going to be called Annie 150!!

For the parks 150th anniversary they are building the worlds first launched inverted aquatrax. It will be 150ft tall, feature a 150mph launch, it will spend 150 seconds underwater, and it will feature 150 inversions... Of course all of this will be completed in a ride time of 150 seconds.

I can't believe you have not heard about this yet!

Super late to this party - hooray it's topped off and WOW is it a towering beast! Looking forward to riding it this spring and I have my fingers crossed for a 2020 inverted aquatrax.

Tony and CP did a great job with their All I Want For Christmas video. A+ to everyone involved in that. Your hard work is appreciated!

It's more about the pattern they've been going by instead of an anniversary year. We've seen new coasters added 4 years apart now.

We have?

2016 - Valravn

2013 - Gatekeeper

2007 - Maverick

2003 - Top Thrill Dragster

2002 - Wicked Twister

2000 - Millennium Force

1996 - Mantis

1994 - Raptor

1991 - Mean Streak

1989 - Magnum

1987 - Iron Dragon

1985 - Disaster Transport

1978 - Gemini

1976 - Corkscrew

1972 - Jumbo Jet

1969 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

1964 - Blue Streak

Yeah, I see what you mean. Three times in last 50 years two coasters were added 4 years apart. That's gotta be a pattern.

I was mistaken that Gatekeeper opened in 2013 instead of 2012. Plus I'm talking on an average scale rather than exact numbers. Hershey has been adding coasters in the same relative time frame for many years. I don't think we need to go all the way back to Blue Streak on the timeline because many factors have caused this recent shift to happen. CF has acquired many parks since then, plus the economy and price of coasters were very different back then.

Maybe it's my fault for not elaborating more, but I don't think the sarcasm was necessary. I'm just trying to justify reasoning for a possible new coaster in 2020, and that just because it's an anniversary year means squat.