TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

this is where I have a nice laugh at the people who complained about the color being too similar to Rougarou.

I agree 100%. Seeing Valravn going vertical near Rougarou confirms that the colors are not nearly as similar as people were saying they would be.

IMO, the ride should have been darker in color scheme...

Any darker and the ride would look black. Then everyone would complain because the ride would have no color. "Oh. My. Great. Coaster. God. I can't belive Cedar Point would build such a dark roller coaster. Do they not know how bad that looks when everything else they have creates such a bright skyline."

Personally I would've LOVED to see Valravn with a dark theme and an all black/slate color scheme. Make the first drop dive underground into a tunnel of mist surrounded by barbed wire. I love how CP has such a bright and colorful skyline and I understand them wanting to add to that (and I think they're doing a great job of it), but something like Raptor or Kreke would be impressive.

Regardless, the colors they chose are very nice and are kind of a balance between the bright and colorful and trying something a little different. I like it.

Why laugh? It still looks similar!

IMO, the ride should have been darker in color scheme... Such as Raptor at Gardaland, Oblivion at Alton Towers, Great Bear at Hershey, etc... Add some color accents on the trains from the logo color palette (that gold and purple), it would have looked stunning.

I looked at the picture again, I am wondering if you're partially colorblind? You can suggest that you wanted Purple or black but to say they look similar is a bit odd to me.

oo well, i hope you enjoy your day.

I love how the new TTD paint job is so bright it makes it look like it's cgi.

I also love how all the main coasters you see in the picture are either fairly new or have been painted recently. The colors look very vivid.

I'm really curious how they are going to lift & support the next few pieces simultaneously.

I'd assume they will do it the same as they did the lift. The will probably put up the support, and use smaller cranes, and guide wires to hold that in place while they use the big crane to lift the last lift hill section, the crown of the lift, and turn into place all at once, connecting to the one vertical support that the smaller cranes, and guide wires will be holding in place.

You think they will lift 4 track pieces at one time? That will put some strain on the crane, no? It's a 40-ton lift....

Looks at how many pieces they lifted into place for the lift hill at once.

Also, the Manitowoc 16000 crane they are using can lift up to 400 metric tons at once. I doubt it would have a problem lifting 4 track pieces at once.

can lift up to 400 metric tons at once. I doubt it would have a problem lifting 4 track pieces at once.

Engineers, man.

No. More like researching the and finding out what the maximum weight the crane can lift at one time... and realizing that 4 track pieces put together do not weigh more than the maximum weight the crane can lift at once.

It's not "trying to be an engineer" ... it's being able to take the information provided... put two and two together... and get a result.

Looks at how many pieces they lifted into place for the lift hill at once.

Also, the Manitowoc 16000 crane they are using can lift up to 400 metric tons at once. I doubt it would have a problem lifting 4 track pieces at once.

The load capacity of the crane depends on the geometry of the crane boom. As the location of the sheave (pulley) extends further away from the center of gravity of the crane (horizontally), the capacity of the crane reduces. That said, it would be pretty awesome to see a massive lift of 4+ track sections to top off the lift hill.

We better call up those professionals ASAP and let them know how they should be doing their job. Thank god for coaster enthusiasts, otherwise these professional engineers who do this every day for a living, have degrees in it and spent years perfecting their skills would be screwed.

We better call up those professionals ASAP and let them know how they should be doing their job. Thank god for coaster enthusiasts, otherwise these professional engineers who do this every day for a living, have degrees in it and spent years perfecting their skills would be screwed.

No one said anything about the engineers not knowing how to do their job. We were simply discussing HOW they might POSSIBLY install the next few sections of track.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

can lift up to 400 metric tons at once. I doubt it would have a problem lifting 4 track pieces at once.

Engineers, man.

No. More like researching the and finding out what the maximum weight the crane can lift at one time... and realizing that 4 track pieces put together do not weigh more than the maximum weight the crane can lift at once.

It's not "trying to be an engineer" ... it's being able to take the information provided... put two and two together... and get a result.

Slow your roll, dude. I was saying its crazy that engineers can design machines to lift that much. I was NOT accusing you of being some sort of pseudo engineer nor was I disputing your point. Sorry if it came off that way, its not how it was intended to be interpreted.

Slow your roll, dude. I was saying its crazy that engineers can design machines to lift that much. I was NOT accusing you of being some sort of pseudo engineer nor was I disputing your point. Sorry if it came off that way, its not how it was intended to be interpreted.

It's all good! It was just misinterpreted.

However, I agree with you. I think it is crazy that machines can lift that much weight. I can barely lift a back 24 pack of cokes, and here this crane can lift 400 tons!

It's all good! It was just misinterpreted.

However, I agree with you. I think it is crazy that machines can lift that much weight. I can barely lift a back 24 pack of cokes, and here this crane can lift 400 tons!

That's 40,000 24 packs