TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

They are doing a lot of prep today. I feel like something put them into high gear.

I know parts of the midwest are supposed to receive stupid-warm temps for at least the next week (in the Chicagoland area, it's like open the gates and run some roller coasters stupid-warm). I assume that will make it's way over to northern-Ohio, as well.

Q: Why is Cedar Fair buying the land and then contributing it to the project overseen by another private entity?

A: Cedar Fair vice president of community relations Lee Alexakos provided this response:

“Basically our role is that we are going to purchase the former Griffing Airport site, and we saw that as an opportunity to bring development to the area. At the same time, we also saw it as an opportunity to preserve a waterfront asset for the public, and it will bring new recreational benefits to our local residents. Our relationship with the project is to really act as a catalyst for economic development.”

The parks way of saying they want more money.

Yes. And the sports fields provide the potential for that by giving Ohio/Michigan/Indiana based amateur athletics a place to ply their trades for tournaments, camps, things like that, and then Cedar Point provides them the incentive of a fun thing to do in addition to those. Basically a slightly lower rent version of how Disney operates Wide World of Sports to bring in the traffic of cheerleading competitions and youth football.

They are doing a lot of prep today. I feel like something put them into high gear.

I know parts of the midwest are supposed to receive stupid-warm temps for at least the next week (in the Chicagoland area, it's like open the gates and run some roller coasters stupid-warm). I assume that will make it's way over to northern-Ohio, as well.

El Nino year. If you're building a ride north of the Mason-Dixon, you can't claim bad weather kept you from finishing it on time this winter. I won't be surprised if Valravn is all bolted together before February.

[attachment=0]camera1.jpg[/attachment]

Is that a really short support piece, or something else? Whatever it is, looks like it's attached to a footer...

That's been there since the very beginning, I thought it was a porta-potty for the construction workers or something. It was there before any other supports were placed.

Then again, I could be wrong. It could be the base of a support.

[attachment=0]camera1.jpg[/attachment]

Is that a really short support piece, or something else? Whatever it is, looks like it's attached to a footer...

That's been there since the very beginning, I thought it was a porta-potty for the construction workers or something. It was there before any other supports were placed.

Yeah I went back to the time lapse, you're right

Yeah I went back to the time lapse, you're right

I just did the same thing. Yep, it's a porta-potty.

val.thumb.png.62dbc94d2806f447258362c2f980c5ab.png

You can even see what looks like an open door.

^Winds on Lake Erie are really bad, especially this time of year. And Cedar Point is on a peninsula on Lake Erie. Let's not forget that when you're working high in the air (like Valravn will be), the winds are extremely dangerous. I grew up in the midwest but I've never been in a place as windy as northern Ohio.

Once it starts snowing, there are definitely days where they won't work. The wind creating drifting snow across the causeway is damn near deadly. You can't see anything at all.

The winter Gatekeeper was constructed was an extremely cold and snowy winter, but construction continued to move right along.

Notice how I never said anything about them stopping construction just because of snow, but because of the wind when there's snow:

Once it starts snowing, there are definitely days where they won't work. The wind creating drifting snow across the causeway is damn near deadly. You can't see anything at all.

It's pretty apparent that no one here is familiar with lake erie weather in the winter. It's damn near miserable sometimes. I'm also not quite getting the criticism because you know that it's going to open on time... It's a B&M and it's at Cedar Point. They've planned for this.

The winter Gatekeeper was constructed was an extremely cold and snowy winter, but construction continued to move right along.

Notice how I never said anything about them stopping construction just because of snow, but because of the wind when there's snow:

It's pretty apparent that no one here is familiar with lake erie weather in the winter. It's damn near miserable sometimes. I'm also not quite getting the criticism because you know that it's going to open on time... It's a B&M and it's at Cedar Point. They've planned for this.

Wait... so you mean B&M and Cedar Point have plans...??? They actually PLAN to get this roller coaster open on time???

Oooohhhhh... that's right... This ISN"T Six Flags.