TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Haven't you heard??? It's clear from the renderings, and the POV that Valravn will be force-less, and boring. There is nothing new and exciting about the layout. The first half of the layout is the same as it is on all other large Dive Machines. Obviously nothing innovative from B&M. Oh... And don't forget the restraints. They will clearly make the ride un-bearable... Because you know, all the coasters with the B&M Vest restraints are awful, and need to be destroyed. They should just tear it down, and put in a Wacky Worm, or another highly over priced food stand.

I mean, aside from the vest restraints comment (I love them), I do feel like a Wacky Worm provides a more intense ride than 90% of all B&Ms built in the last decade. Mostly because I don't trust the structure to remain intact.

Highly doubt that.

Haven't you heard??? It's clear from the renderings, and the POV that Valravn will be force-less, and boring. There is nothing new and exciting about the layout. The first half of the layout is the same as it is on all other large Dive Machines. Obviously nothing innovative from B&M. Oh... And don't forget the restraints. They will clearly make the ride un-bearable... Because you know, all the coasters with the B&M Vest restraints are awful, and need to be destroyed. They should just tear it down, and put in a Wacky Worm, or another highly over priced food stand.

I mean, aside from the vest restraints comment (I love them), I do feel like a Wacky Worm provides a more intense ride than 90% of all B&Ms built in the last decade. Mostly because I don't trust the structure to remain intact.

Highly doubt that.

I hate when people say stuff like that (or the "OMG, who even cares about this coaster, look at Raptor!" comments). Everyone knows it's cool to talk about how post-2000 B&M's stand for Boring & Mild, but it's become a farce. It bothers me how much everyone exaggerates how B&M is losing their touch. Fury looks top-10 good, Banshee looks like the best Invert since Katun in 2000 and this easily looks like the best Dive Coaster! (I've also been hearing really positive things about Thunderbird) Have some faith, people.

Side note - I personally enjoy SheiKra more than any Invert I've ridden (including Montu, Alpengeist, and Dueling Dragons)

Side note (the sequel) - I personally am a bit worried about the vest restraints due to poor experiences on X-Flight and Wild Eagle, but I am hopeful they will be unlocked (similar to GateKeeper and Banshee)

Highly doubt that.

I hate when people say stuff like that (or the "OMG, who even cares about this coaster, look at Raptor!" comments). Everyone knows it's cool to talk about how post-2000 B&M's stand for Boring & Mild, but it's become a farce. It bothers me how much everyone exaggerates how B&M is losing their touch. Fury looks top-10 good, Banshee looks like the best Invert since Katun in 2000 and this easily looks like the best Dive Coaster! (I've also been hearing really positive things about Thunderbird) Have some faith, people.

Side note - I personally enjoy SheiKra more than any Invert I've ridden (including Montu, Alpengeist, and Dueling Dragons)

Side note (the sequel) - I personally am a bit worried about the vest restraints due to poor experiences on X-Flight and Wild Eagle, but I am hopeful they will be unlocked (similar to GateKeeper and Banshee)

I kid of hope the vest restraints have no vests, so the restraints look like the Beemer version of Skyrush restraints.

I'm sure regardless of the restraints it'll be a great ride.

Definitely. It's the third tallest coaster in the park. Can't wait to see it while driving down the peninsula.

Everyone seems to like the other dive coasters, and this is a slightly taller, longer, and faster version of those at Busch Gardens. Of course it's going to be a very good ride, probably the best B&M in the park!

I spent the entire day today watching the Valravn cam... and nothing (Well at least no lift hill put in place.) Looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!!! Thank goodness I'm making my partner a roast tomorrow that takes 8 hours, and I'm going to have the Valravn cam pulled up on my iPad on the counter the entire time! Can't wait for the lift hill to go in! (Still don't know why I am so excited for this coaster!!)

Just in case anyone was curious/interested, there was a new blog entry posted on the Valravn page!

Hey everyone – I’m Adam, Valravn’s Project Manager, and you’ll see me throughout the construction process as we make our way toward opening the tallest, fastest & longest dive coaster in the world next spring. You’ll also hear from a few other folks throughout the winter, so keep checking back.

Right now, you’ve probably noticed that we’re lifting the very first pieces of Valravn’s steep, 47-degree lift hill into place. And we’re doing it with a massive crane. A big, tall, heavy Manitowoc 16000, to be exact.

This crane is capable of lifting a lot of weight at certain heights and angles, but in general, it can handle a weight limit of 40 tons up to a height of about 446 feet. Obviously, with Valravn being 223 feet tall, we’ll be just fine. To lift the highest pieces, the crane will need to extend about 75 feet taller than the ride itself, so to about a height of almost 300 feet.

Normally, the Manitowoc is used in heavy construction, so we’re talking power plants, steel mills, bridges and other big projects. Currently, it’s on assignment at Cedar Point building a roller coaster. If it had an Instagram account, the photos it would take would be pretty amazing.

Because the crane is so heavy, it needs to sit and move on “crane mats.” They help distribute the weight under the crawlers (the wheels underneath the crane), and the soil here really isn’t soil – it’s mostly sand, so stability is key.

Overall, things are starting to kick into high gear, and you’ll start to now see big things happen. Station platform footers are being finished, park utility lines are being connected and moved, and of course, the lift hill is now going vertical. Weather permitting, we’ll be lifting steel now through January/February, so keep an eye on the webcams and the construction gallery for videos and photos.

Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for even more updates.

I’ll check back in soon!

-Adam Pooch, Project Manager

Source.

Don't get bothered by it. It's just a sign of any over the top hobbyist. Everything has to be a RMC version of I305 in order to be enjoyable. Trust me, it's a good thing. It makes the line for Diamondback shorter and far less annoying...

It's the emo kid who makes sarcastic comments about mainstream music. Try not to upset the nerds.

I'm making my partner a roast tomorrow that takes 8 hours, and I'm going to have the Valravn cam pulled up on my iPad on the counter the entire time!

I thought I was a complete nerd, thank you for making me feel better about myself.

Haha. Slightly nerdy for sure, but there is something incredibly satisfying about following the construction of a coaster leading all the way up to your first ride. I watched Banshee like a hawk when it was constructed. As a person who is not easily excited, I was completely stoked when I took my first ride.

No action on the construction site today. The giant crane is still sleeping.

Ah the theory of relativity shows itself again...

They have filled another foundation and unloaded a bunch of support beams. At the moment, they are pulling another piece of track off a flatbed.

(Compare this to the arrival of track pieces and ground breaking were the "action" that excited everyone...)

^ True, I guess I was hoping for more ... LIFT HILL action. I was really hoping to see the other section of the lift hill go into place today. But I am sure they know what they are doing, and eventually it will get lifted into place!

(Sorry for the double) However, two new track pieces have shown up! They look like parts of a flat turn to me, but obviously I can't tell much from this photo. I was thinking it might be part of the turn after the lift hill, before the first drop. But it doesn't have any of the catwalks, or anything like that on it.

Any guesses as to where on the layout these two pieces go?? (Let the speculation begin!)

val.png.5c8a232a4ba0c3d94e9074c58fbc745b.png

Hmmm?

The Sports Complex is being built on the old airport by the entrance to the Chaussee.

F-Inqueue-SR-StoryArchive-unnamed-30-jpg.thumb.jpg.c946b26895a72b2d15ed9f8161b89853.jpg

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Business/2015/05/14/Update-4-50-p-m-Multimillion-dollar-sports-complex-coming-to-Erie-County.html

Call it a grand slam game changer for Erie County's economy.

Numerous area stakeholders came together Thursday to support a groundbreaking $23.5 million waterfront project creating a youth sports complex at the former Griffing Sandusky Airport site on Cleveland Road (U.S. 6).

The agreement came to fruition after months of negotiations among various parties.

To understand the deal, the Register conducted several interviews and obtained documents.

Here’s what’s known thus far:

Q: What is the project?

A: In short, a Georgia-based company called The Sports Force came to area officials and voiced their desires to build a youth sports complex.

The complex, aiming to provide athletes with a world-class sporting experience on top-notch venues, would cater to various sports — including baseball, softball, soccer and lacrosse — for teams traveling into Erie County.

Each field boasts synthetic surfaces. Artificial turf, as opposed to grass, can allow operators to more efficiently clean, drain and transition the field from one sport to another. The surface would also allow teams to play in both spring and fall.

Of the 10 fields proposed:

• Four offer regulation-sized professional baseball fields that can also host lacrosse and soccer.

• Three are capable of hosting adult and youth baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse and other field sports.

• One championship youth baseball and softball field.

• One championship soccer and lacrosse field

• One field specifically for people with disabilities.

Plans also call for a playground, batting cages, concessions stands, a pavilion, entertainment venue along with public nature and birding trails throughout the site.

Developers can expand the site, if necessary, by an additional 26 acres.

Q: When could this complex debut?

A: It’s expected construction could start this fall and wrap up by mid-2016, allowing teams to play by then.

Q: How is this project being funded?

A: Primarily through private investment and tax money mainly generated by tourists — and not locals.

A breakdown of the $23.5 million project:

• $3.5 million from Cedar Fair buying the former Griffing Airport site and contributing it to the project.

• $3 million from The Sports Force, the complex’s operator.

• $17 million from raising the countywide bed tax — also called the hotel-motel or lodging tax — rate by 1 percent.

On Thursday, all three county commissioners — Tom Ferrell, Bill Monaghan and Pat Shenigo — and Lake Erie Shores & Islands board members asked the state legislature to allow for a 1 percent bed tax increase to greatly subsidize this complex.

It’s not known if or when Erie County will receive the authority to proceed with raising the rate.

At 2 percent, Erie County might be the only county in Ohio charging less than a 3 percent rate, the maximum allowed in the state without receiving special authority.

The deal won't happen unless the state legislature allows for the hike.

Q: How much are local taxpayers spending on the complex?

A: No money from the budgets of Erie County, Sandusky or any other local municipality will subsidize the project.

Q: Why is Cedar Fair buying the land and then contributing it to the project overseen by another private entity?

A: Cedar Fair vice president of community relations Lee Alexakos provided this response:

“Basically our role is that we are going to purchase the former Griffing Airport site, and we saw that as an opportunity to bring development to the area. At the same time, we also saw it as an opportunity to preserve a waterfront asset for the public, and it will bring new recreational benefits to our local residents. Our relationship with the project is to really act as a catalyst for economic development.”

Q: What are the benefits to this deal?

A: Several years ago, Lake Erie Shores & Islands board members commissioned a study to research the economic benefits of a sports complex in Erie County.

They believed a sports complex could attract more people to area hotels — and thus an economic boom — in spring and fall, times when area lodges typically underperform.

Among some estimated figures, released by The Sports Force, of how the local area would perform by 2020:

• $57 million: in additional annual income throughout the county, broken down by lodging ($15.8 million); entertainment ($10 million); food and beverage ($9.6 million); event-related expenses ($8.4 million); transportation ($5.1 million); shopping ($3.5 million); and other windfalls ($4.5 million).

• $1.7 million: in additional annual income through the admissions and bed taxes.

• 111,000: in additional annual visitors specifically coming to the complex.

• 80,000: in additional annual hotel stays, especially during the spring and fall seasons. Right now, there are about 800,000 hotel stays a year in Erie County.

• 900: in new jobs related to the complex’s existence. This includes work at restaurants, hotels and sports complex employees.

From the Sandusky Register

Q: Why is Cedar Fair buying the land and then contributing it to the project overseen by another private entity?

A: Cedar Fair vice president of community relations Lee Alexakos provided this response:

“Basically our role is that we are going to purchase the former Griffing Airport site, and we saw that as an opportunity to bring development to the area. At the same time, we also saw it as an opportunity to preserve a waterfront asset for the public, and it will bring new recreational benefits to our local residents. Our relationship with the project is to really act as a catalyst for economic development.”

The parks way of saying they want more money.